Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Gonzo_Dabs

My issue isnt the butane. Although it will take trail and error and practice. My issue is the thing combusting. And also not igniting at the same time. The brass tipped hose isn't in the nozzle correctly so butane is spraying in the housing. This can be fixed though. And I was wondering if that fucking thing was a safety or not. Thank you Lou. I found an adapter that seems to work but I will be getting some good butane. But the hose is the biggest concern. I will try Lous suggestions about the safety after I finesse the hose in.

Gonzo_Dabs,
Reactions: steama

steama

You could always take a look at the famous blazer Blazer GB2001 Self-Igniting Butane Micro-Torch. It has a max 2500F flame which does the trick just fine and being a blazer it is of the highest quality. I just took it out for a spin with the slug. Never had an issue filling this with anything.

41qfeDItxCL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-GB2001-Self-Igniting-Butane-Micro-Torch/dp/B07B42VMSF/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1535423911&sr=1-10&keywords=butane+torch+2500°F

:nod:

Gonzo_Dabs

If you hold the torch in your right hand, and point the flame end to your left, there will be a teardrop-shaped safetyabove your right thumb; press this in and up, holding while your right thumb presses the black knob with the lock / off signs. Your torch should ignite.

Let go of the teardrop, and adjust the flame with the slider on the opposite side from the safety...you can turn the knob to ‘lock’ only while it’s firing.

Unfortunately, using whip-it brand butane isn’t entirely a solution.

Okay so I did all this. And the button isnt pushing in enough to click or allow me to turn it at all. I also got whip it butane while I'm at it. How far in does the button push.

Natty will be sending another tomorrow. I want to clarify that I am not at all dissatisfied with Natty or HIS products. The torch was just a horribly timed defect or something since I've been DYING TO SQUISH!!!!!! I got a nice quarter of what looks like good pressable cultivar and then the torch no workey:/

But again. The slug and straps and everything natty himself made is perfect.

Gonzo_Dabs,

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
The knob travels at least a quarter-inch before ignition, and either you keep it pressed or you turn the knob clockwise. HTH!

I can only imagine my own frustrations in your shoes

Last edited:
ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: steama

Gonzo_Dabs

Good news everyone. I fixed the hose but the button does not click to ignite the flame nor does it lock. But this will do until the other one comes in so here we go!!

Gonzo_Dabs

That's a nice one. I'm sure I'll be grabbing that soon. I hear Blazer all over the place

Gonzo_Dabs,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
You could always take a look at the famous blazer Blazer GB2001 Self-Igniting Butane Micro-Torch. It has a max 2500F flame which does the trick just fine and being a blazer it is of the highest quality. I just took it out for a spin with the slug. Never had an issue filling this with anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-GB2001-Self-Igniting-Butane-Micro-Torch/dp/B07B42VMSF/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1535423911&sr=1-10&keywords=butane+torch+2500°F

:nod:

the electric sparker on mine just died after at least 6 years of good service. been lighting it with a bic lately

rabblerouser,

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
ive never used an adaptor filling these whippet torches. It looks as though it may need one, the male end of the butane bottle looks like it wont fit, but it does.

Nattybushdoctor,

Gonzo_Dabs

So my first few attempts were embarrassing to say the least :doh:

I was in such a rush and so excited when I finally got everything together. And on top of that it was late and I had jury duty the next day (as I type) and my girl was rushing me to leave to her place. So I wasn't paying attention at all.

So the first press I faced the slug backwards and directly on the hole where the Allen bolt that holds the plate in is. And the parchment paper slipped under the slug way too much causing me to totally not catch it on fire a bit. Obviously a bit of material busted through the parchment and compacted into the hole for the bolt. Smooth. So I cleaned that up and started again.

One thing. How do y'all break up your material? Grinder? By hand into smaller chunks? Big chunks? I've seen natty do it by hand and I believe I've read somewhere that some people grind it.

Second try. This was my most successful. I got a tiny little ring and a tiny little dabs worth and it was quite nice. My stuff seems to me to be decent. Moist and firm but snaps when broke up. Rebounds when squished and will stick to your fingers a bit. Not as much as some stuff I've had but not bad. Kinda frosty. That little dab was definitely enough to want to practice more and get a drip going like Natty. I can definitely see myself fucking cherishing this setup once I get good.

First 2 attempts I broke it up by hand into smaller chunks. Took out the stems of course. 3rd try I ground it up and had a blowout. I need to get my positioning down as well. I pretty much need to get everything down :rolleyes:

For all the Ion Lite users what setting is your flame at?

This is fun! The stuff I practice with is still smokeable if I mess up so I'm not too peeved to be going through it like this.

And as far as the butane filling issue. I found that the Whip It brand butane doesn't need an adapter when using the Whip It torch.Go figure. If you push hard enough but not crazy hard and keep it straight it will fill fine with the standard tip.

Gonzo_Dabs

I was the same way as you felon. But this to me isn't the end all press. It's a very simple and elegant design that with practice and consistent product you can have fresh beautiful rosin. It is analog and off grid and sustainable and quite literally unbreakable under all but the most extreme circumstances. With practice this can be done in the woods with no tools at all other than a vice and only a piece of parchment. I wonder how a heavy duty c-clamp with thick oversized plates would work as a mobile option? This is my first experience into rosin ever. And one of my firsts dabs ever really. I've dabbed less than 5 times. I've vaped concentrates a good amount.

If you have realistic expectations and are not averse to learning a new skill (like most nowadays) you will cherish this product forever. If you are looking for a 60 dollar press that will splooge out grams of rosin in 1 minute everytime with just the twist of a vice and no effort at all then you will be disappointed and among the people who talk shit about it.

Having used it about 5 times so far and not really having anything to show for other than a baby dab and a half I'm still happy with my master kit. No doubt. I look forward to mastering it. I'm actually really happy with this vice. I've been needing a good one for a while and this one is really fucking nice.

As an introduction to rosin it is awesome. As the only thing I will own that can make rosin? No. I would like to build my own with temp control and plates and the whole 9. But this slug is what I will be using for the very long meantime and for a very long time after that.

I can't wait to report back with my first ring of fire :tup::rockon:

ClearBlueLou

So, I’m set for tonight: the brave new world is calling!

After all the back-and-forth about the whip-it, I went ahead and ordered that Blazer. It’ll be here tomorrow but for tonight, I have the whip-it, and some very small nugs, I would call it popcorn based on my vast internet presence, buds from nodes and lower branches. “High-end EC commercial” or something.

AND I have my new Mac (I love being able to say that). The press plate, parchment squares, and scales and little dishes. PSA - this is liable to be a late show...no alchemy afore bedtime!

steama

So, I’m set for tonight: the brave new world is calling!

After all the back-and-forth about the whip-it, I went ahead and ordered that Blazer. It’ll be here tomorrow but for tonight, I have the whip-it, and some very small nugs, I would call it popcorn based on my vast internet presence, buds from nodes and lower branches. “High-end EC commercial” or something.

AND I have my new Mac (I love being able to say that). The press plate, parchment squares, and scales and little dishes. PSA - this is liable to be a late show...no alchemy afore bedtime!
Using that blazer above (the gb2100) you may want to maximize the flame size and add 10-15 seconds. It is a more precise flame and runs a hair lower than the ion lite imo. I am using both the ion lite and the gb2100 and I can't decide which I prefer more at this point.

I think the blazer big buddy and the blazer big shot are a too much torch for the smaller slugs but I have had successful runs with both of those too, but they are a bit overpowered imo.

:myday:

ClearBlueLou

I have no preconceptions. I’ve stepped thru everything several times, there are some videos I want to watch again, my equipment is ready to set up...I’ve typically had extraordinary beginners luck at tasks with a physical component (billiards, cooking, etc) but I’ve stepped on my dick more than once (*blush*)

I figure I’ll do three initial runs: nugs picked apart, like in NBD’s vids; nugs broken int littler nugs; the smallest nugs, as is. Put a few in the grinder, and they were VERY dense, and hard to grind: pressing this stuff will be interesting.

===
AND I’m off to a flying start: set fire to the parchment right off the bat....

===

Anybody have any tips for restarting an interrupted press?

Had everything in position, lit the torch, started the timer, held steady, at 2 minutes, changed sides, cranking it down slowly...I pull out my new thermometer gun and - huh, 120F.

So I light the torch, turn it up, hold steady...there’s GOO bubbling up from under the Slug. I crank it down 30, and more come out. Temp 127F.

So I light the torch, and I crank it down, and I hold steady, and more goo comes out...two minutes on each side on full, temp 137F. At this point, I had company, complaining about the smell (I *did* do a sloppy job cleaning off the vise, it’s true).

Since she’s netflixing on that table, I take a break. Temp 118.

The piston still has the last quarter inch to go before the press is complete.

I have no way of gaging the volume of goo, but I’ve seen people hold up less-populated parchments on their YT.

Temp 104F.
Please advise.

Over

===

So, after it reached room temp, I cranked it all back up. Torch to max, come in closer, 3 minutes on one side, the torch runs out of fuel after 1 minute...there’s twice as much goo now. Temp 147F.

Sitting outside, having a cigarette. The torch is refilled, and I’ll be at it again.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Got my second hand Deuce yesterday, I plan to do some test runs with my automatic strains, I don't expect a big yield .

I get a medium size torch... and a very big one designed to be used with a big bottle of propane... and not for dabbing!
Which one is the best, please?

ClearBlueLou

NattyBushDoctor recommends and sells the one I have. I would call it a light torch, but I know zip about torches, and it may be better suited to the deuce than to Fat Mac. I think I’m glad the Blazer will be here in the morning.

As for yield, I honestly didn’t think there’d be so much so early in the piston’s travel. If “the Magic happens” at the very end of the press, then I might get near a gram, he said, guessing.

I’ve been updating in an earlier post - @Nattybushdoctor? @BornAgainSteama?
Would love to hear from y’all

Made it to the end of the press, finally...and hit 240 on the way. No magic at the end: 0.30g

This was the nugs torn into nugglet pieces. No pix, had my hands full just doing it. I’m thinking I may wash the puck in ethanol, but also thinking I’ll cook it into the butter I’ll be melting my rosin to. Then again, I could grind it and pack a blunt.

Last edited:

steama

NattyBushDoctor recommends and sells the one I have. I would call it a light torch, but I know zip about torches, and it may be better suited to the deuce than to Fat Mac. I think I’m glad the Blazer will be here in the morning.

As for yield, I honestly didn’t think there’d be so much so early in the piston’s travel. If “the Magic happens” at the very end of the press, then I might get near a gram, he said, guessing.

I’ve been updating in an earlier post - @Nattybushdoctor? @BornAgainSteama?
Would love to hear from y’all

Made it to the end of the press, finally...and hit 240 on the way. No magic at the end: 0.30g

This was the nugs torn into nugglet pieces. No pix, had my hands full just doing it. I’m thinking I may wash the puck in ethanol, but also thinking I’ll cook it into the butter I’ll be melting my rosin to. Then again, I could grind it and pack a blunt.
Keep on keeping on and you will get it. Remember that your yields will have a great deal with flower quality. The other day I did a run with small popcorn nugs. I got about a third less than usual and it was the first time the puck was rather crumbled. It seems all the rosin that was there got extracted.

Also, remember more heat at a certain point will yield more goo and also lower the terps and taste of the final product. For experimentation sake you may want to try a run with more heat and reduce it as needed for the following run. I think once you get the trick it is going to be very easy for you.

I only break up nugs enough to remove the stem. I don't think grinding is necessary at all.

Also, the deuce uses about 2 to 2.2 grams which means your yield at 30% would only be around .726 grams which would be an exceptional run imo.

more heat more goo up to a point then terps and flavor begin to reduce as more heat is used.

Good luck buddy

:2c:

Please, can I get feedbacks about the sip kit, is it usefull or not?
I feel it is needed

Last edited by a moderator:

ClearBlueLou

Keep on keeping on and you will get it. Remember that your yields will have a great deal with flower quality. The other day I did a run with small popcorn nugs. I got about a third less than usual and it was the first time

Also, remember more heat at a certain point will yield more goo and also lower the terps and taste of the final product. For experimentation sake you may want to try a run with more heat and reduce it as needed for the following run. I think once you get the trick it is going to be very easy for you.

I only break up nugs enough to remove the stem. I don't think grinding is necessary at all.

Also, the deuce uses about 2 to 2.2 grams which means your yield at 30% would only be around .726 grams which would be an exceptional run imo.

more heat more goo up to a point then terps and flavor begin to reduce as more heat is used.

Good luck buddy

:2c:
Good morning! Thanks for the input -

The point about the quality of material echos my own thinking. I was quite in see-what-happens mode; I feel like I got several sessions’ worth of experience for the one load, and I’m not sorry it turned out as it did.

I’m not a real math-head but it seems I got like an 8% return, starting w/ 3.5g and finishing with 0.30. It was the cooking off of terps that told me I was over temp, *Definitely* live and learn...

The puck came apart on removal. Some parts of it are much thinner than others, and it’s quite dry and not sticky. Some parts of it seem oil-soaked.

I scorched the collection parchment, after having flat set its predecessor on fire. Torch issues were major, the main issue in my mind was the size and intensity of the flame I was getting: with good pressure, I’d think the flame would tighten, intensify, rather than becoming big and wobbly. The ion’s flame seemed diffuse, watery - could be that filling issues provided less pressure than actually needed, as I never got the flame from my torch to resemble NBD’s video examples; when heating it never managed to be the tight, focused jet that seemed required.

My next effort will be strictly a test of heat and time: I need to clean the forge, which cooled while assembled overnight, so I need to heat it. I’ll use the blazer.

Which brings me to the strap. I like the strap, and it was perfectly easy to ‘snap’ it together without the Slug in the way, but I never managed to get it done with a hot slug involved, as a result I ended up dropping the hot slug several times. NOT a smooth move. I’ll put some time into figuring out how to fix that opening.

General observations: I should take the vise apart as completely as I can, I should clean it thoroughly (burning oil smell...), and I should seriously consider a rustoleum color scheme. I should also go down the threaded rod with a dressing file...

Last edited:
ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: Gonzo_Dabs

steama

I scorched the collection parchment, after having flat set its predecessor on fire.
I used to scorch my parchment on almost every run until I figured out it only happened when I inadvertently move the flame just a bit towards the parchment. When I concentrate to keep the flame at the back of the slug I have yet to burn it again.

also...

I have created my own solution for removing a hot slug from the vise.

THE FINGER GLOVE!

fingerglove.jpg

finger_deuce.jpg

Gonzo_Dabs

I just use a pair of pliers to pick it up if I cant get to my strap.

Also Lou I'm pretty sure an IR thermometer won't be accurate on the slug. It's too shiny. Unless you are measuring the heat of the material?

I got the Wilton vice and I reversed one of the plates. It had grooves on it and reversing it made it a much flatter surface. If you have the same I recommend doing this. I need to tear my down too and clean it and paint it.

I too was wondering about continuing an interrupted press.

I am in the middle of the learning curve. It seems Lou is having better results than me and it's making me motivated to keep practicing. I am really enjoying the kit so far.

I will be doing another press soon

Top Bottom