• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

SiC of the rattle? Adding SiC Balls to Flowerpot

ncnc777

Hi all, first post here!

I currently am using a mini nail 20 mm barrel coil (3 clockwise wraps) with my VROD and it rattles up and down.

Wondering if I could fill in the extra space with SiC balls to stop the movement of the coil and add thermal mass to the head. Any input/sourcing for SiC balls would be greatly appreciated. my other idea was turning a piece of titanium to make an insert but I would like to save that for the worst-case due to cost. After all who doesn't love balls? Thanks!

ncnc777,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
If there’s play in the coil I would just wrap the post with a bit of aluminum foil or something to make a shim. Unless I’m misunderstanding I don’t see how silicon carbide beads would help?

invertedisdead,
Reactions: ncnc777

ncnc777

The aluminum would be in contact with the heater inside the diffuser which sounds like alzheimers . Here is an image
3e0c42d483.png

The balls would prevent up and down movement of the coil inside the head diffuser combo

I don't want anything to crack or break under high heat and contact with the coil - something I've heard happens with glass. Might take longer to get heatsoaked but I am not in a rush. Also, the space in the diffuser is 4.75 mm wide, and I think that the coil leaves 2.3 mm of air space. I'd like to think that a 1.5mm or 2mm sic ball will fill in space nicely but I have no real idea of how it will function.

ncnc777,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don’t have a vrod anymore to check but I don’t believe the air makes any contact with the heater chamber.

You can just stretch the coil out a little bit if it’s too short.

invertedisdead,

ncnc777

I don’t have a vrod anymore to check but I don’t believe the air makes any contact with the heater chamber.

You can just stretch the coil out a little bit if it’s too short.
You are correct where the air does not make contact with the proposed location of the balls. I suppose it would make it so that after the head was fully heated, the enail would not have to work as hard in order to keep it at the set temp. As for stretching the coil, the reason I bring up any of this is due to the fact that my old 3 wrap coil was too short and I stretched it out and got bad hotspots at the most extended part of the coil. I think the coils behave nicer if they are left how they are wrapped but again I am talking from cherry-picked experiences.

ncnc777,

Vaporware

I’ve only seen people fix this by swapping out or stretching the coils, but if you have SiC balls of the right size it seems like they should work. You just need to fill the space with something that won’t be damaged by the heat or give off fumes you don’t want to breathe in.

Vaporware,
Reactions: ncnc777

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
There is a little bit of movement in mine, but I don't think it hurts the performance at all. Plus, I would literally have to shake the thing around to hear a rattle, which is not a part of regular usage. So, I don't see the point.

ncnc777

There is a little bit of movement in mine, but I don't think it hurts the performance at all. Plus, I would literally have to shake the thing around to hear a rattle, which is not a part of regular usage. So, I don't see the point.
My coil is 13 mm at the thickest point. That leaves almost 4 mm of play. Like I said earlier, my coil is 3 wraps. Yours might fit differently. I don't understand your comment regarding shaking.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I don't understand your comment regarding shaking.

I have a proper coil from Newvape in my VROD, and I hear no rattle unless I really shake it around in my hand. So, during normal use, I would never hear any kind of rattle.

I don't have a caliper to measure the thickness of anything though.

Ramahs,

Kins

I have a proper coil from Newvape in my VROD, and I hear no rattle unless I really shake it around in my hand. So, during normal use, I would never hear any kind of rattle.

I don't have a caliper to measure the thickness of anything though.

Correct. This thread is wrong and OCD. OP, watch video below. You're coil needs to be 5 wraps from Newvape. That's the problem, get one from Newvape and it won't rattle.

Top Bottom