Sessions with Friends- COVID and beyond - Best Practices

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I quit having group sessions when COVID struck.
Even when just a friend or two come over, I no longer feel comfortable passing around my devices.

I have a few guest pens that I give people to use for the night, then clean the mouthpiece and battery, and let them sit unused for a few days before any other guests use it.

How are you all going about hosting in a pandemic?
We have only had people hanging out socially distanced on the patio, but it's good to socialize again.

seki

Even when just a friend or two come over, I no longer feel comfortable passing around my devices.

I have a few guest pens that I give people to use for the night, then clean the mouthpiece and battery, and let them sit unused for a few days before any other guests use it.

We have only had people hanging out socially distanced on the patio, but it's good to socialize again.

I'd just like to point out that if you're all consuming in the same area even with separate devices, you're still expelling vapour into the air, and if someone is infected with Covid-19, you'd still be at risk despite not sharing devices. Sort of similar to those super-spreader choir practices.

Outside of Covid and hygiene concerns, having separate devices for guests is a great idea. I don't think vaping is really conducive to sharing personally. I prefer to experience the full spectrum of the session rather than getting a slice here and there when sharing. Devices like the Volcano mitigate this issue pretty well due to the bags, but I think that class of device is the only one that gives an "even" experience to everyone when sharing.

Last edited:

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I'd just like to point out that if you're all consuming in the same area even with separate devices, you're still expelling vapour into the air, and if someone is infected with Covid-19, you'd still be at risk despite not sharing devices. Sort of similar to those super-spreader choir practices.

Even outside of Covid and hygiene concerns, having separate devices for guests is a great idea. I don't think vaping is really conducive to sharing personally. I prefer to experience the full spectrum of the session rather than getting a slice here and there when sharing. Devices like the Volcano mitigate this issue pretty well due to the bags, but I think that class of device is the only one that gives an "even" experience to everyone when sharing.
Also don't forget the risk when someone start coughing after a big puff. Pretty difficult to vape with a mask on your face. I try to see my friend outside as much as possible but it's always a small group of people I trust, I know they take the situation seriously and take the necessary precaution to be as safe as possible. I know that even if I trust them it doesn't mean I believe there's zero risk, but it's a start. I never share my vapes, I like the fact that I can take my time and enjoy my weed, no rush to pass the joint around and then wait for your turn to come again. No pressure to roll an other one (because you are the only one who knows how to roll) even if you don't feel like it.

florduh

I haven't really had group sessions yet. But we had another couple over for the Fourth. One works from home and the other is furloughed, so it wasn't a huge risk (though still a risk). I had a wax pen outside, and used a separate sanitized drip tip for the other couple.

Honestly... passing around a vape/pen/joint was pretty gross in the Before Times too. I just never really thought about it.

The Chemist

I haven't really had group sessions yet. But we had another couple over for the Fourth. One works from home and the other is furloughed, so it wasn't a huge risk (though still a risk). I had a wax pen outside, and used a separate sanitized drip tip for the other couple.

Honestly... passing around a vape/pen/joint was pretty gross in the Before Times too. I just never really thought about it.
Yes and when you think about it if we did that with anything else it would be disgusting, imagine sharing a sandwich with a group of person, each one take a bite and pass it around, how many turns before you would throw up? :puke:

acolyte

Haven't had a session in a while... I do hang out with one guy and he brings his own vapcap for the session. I think vapcap is a great vape for giving out because you can have a few M's for cheap and they're very easy to clean.

florduh

Yes and when you think about it if we did that with anything else it would be disgusting, imagine sharing a sandwich with a group of person, each one take a bite and pass it around, how many turns before you would throw up? :puke:

You're completely right. But 6 months ago I wouldn't have flinched if a friend offered me a hit of their vape pen. It took a global pandemic to make me realize it was always a super gross move.

florduh,
Reactions: Magic9

The Chemist

Yup I'm in the same boat. Funny how you do stuff and never think about it but as soon as something happen and you start analyzing your actions you wonder what the hell you were thinking. I used to smoke with my friends and share and even if I was with someone I didn't know I never hesitated to share my joint. Never would have done that with my sandwich. :lol:

justcametomind

I think you shouldn’t bother giving out pens. You do that, instead of your vape, because there’s a small risk they could be positive. Then you shouldn’t take the risk of handling potentially contaminated stuff just to let them enjoy cannabis. Just hand them over some edibles or let them smoke a joint in the garden, imho.

justcametomind

If they would bother about vaporizing they would have come to you with their vaporizer. If they use weed no doubt they will have at least lighter and papers. You already host them in your house and have to clean glasses, share the bathroom, basically having to clean the whole house if you think about the potential risks. Deciding which vaporizer is better to hand to them means missing the real hassle of having (stoned) people at your place. Doing something that requires having the mask off indefinitely and probably handing over between them your vape stuff to see this and that. Stoned recreational users with probably lower standards of care. Imho it’s no time for that.
Maybe it’s just me: this morning I heard of a woman who infected 71 people just pressing the same elevator button.Hope this is fake but my goal is lowering the risks of exposure until we don’t have a working vaccine.
I’d do that in a field or a public place or garden (not my house), everyone uses his own paraphernalia or beer bottles. The fun is there already: being alive, the possibility to talk and see each other, not cannabis itself or showing the novelty of vaporizing.

Last edited:

shredder

Im a caregiver who delivers. I have one guy who puts out a small cooler on a table. I take out money in a zip lock and leave the gear also in a bag. We never get close as he stays indoors when im there. I do others completely outside, and I wear a mask. One drives over 2 hours to get here, I clean my bong and let him do a dab because he needs a lot due to his conditions. He's also 75 yr old and doesn't really go anywhere else. He does a quick load then we chat for a while outdoors, he collects his gear, and he drives home.

I use nytril gloves, and a surgical mask when working with herb or concentrates. All my gear is covered and sealed, rosin and oils stay in a freezer. Id feel terrible to get someone infected so I do my best.

I've chatted with other friends a few times in person but haven't shared anything, or even went inside anyones house.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I stopped sharing mouthpieces, joints, drinks (sharing the same bottle started to turn my stomach), and things other people had touched (as far as I could) a looooooooooooong time ago. A simple cold had put me in hospital too many times. I was mocked quite often for it but I havent had a cold or been ill in years now. Who is laughing now, eh?! :)

Also, getting rid of friends and stopping going outside worked too ;)

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I stopped sharing mouthpieces, joints, drinks (sharing the same bottle started to turn my stomach), and things other people had touched (as far as I could) a looooooooooooong time ago. A simple cold had put me in hospital too many times. I was mocked quite often for it but I havent had a cold or been ill in years now. Who is laughing now, eh?! :)
Also, getting rid of friends and stopping going outside worked too ;)
I can relate very much to your feelings on the subject.. People mock me for being germophobe,but i am not really that exterme,those are usually people lacking on hygene . The only person i would share stuff is my gf. Sharing vapes/drinks with other people is like kissing them,so even the idea behind it makes me puke ,lol.. :D
Good thing i got rid of my 'friends' years ago and i dont have to deal with their requests and needs during quarantine times,also not going to be sad if they kick the bucket,haha..

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I can relate very much to your feelings on the subject.. People mock me for being germophobe,but i am not really that exterme,those are usually people lacking on hygene . The only person i would share stuff is my gf. Sharing vapes/drinks with other people is like kissing them,so even the idea behind it makes me puke ,lol.. :D
Good thing i got rid of my 'friends' years ago and i dont have to deal with their requests and needs during quarantine times,also not going to be sad if they kick the bucket,haha..

Friends are just people I tolerate more than others ;P

EmDeemo,
Reactions: C No Ego

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
They are only allowed in my house if they stop breathing....at all! hahaha

Ain't happening in this 67 y.o. cardiac patient's home....just ain't happening.

Exactly, I still get a laugh when I read articles/posts written AFTER Covid19 was a known Pandemic, mentioning how such and such a product was good/bad for PARTY sessions! Sorry folks, those days are most likely over, handshaking is out, do you really want to share your mouthpiece with anyone these days.... Bring your own devices, when we can gather again, hopefully.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I don't think ANYONE is sharing mouthpieces anymore... that is history!

I have managed to stay somewhat social with our 3-family nanny group over the pandemic, and with three people I fly fish with... We are fortunate to live in a comfortable climate, and fortunate enough to all have nice yards with big patios.

Hosting and going to visit with people has evolved. We set up dual food and drink stations and dual heaters [if necessary], one for my wife and I and another for a visiting couple to share. We sit in designated seats, and never are within 10 feet of one another.

Sessions continue, and sessions have evolved as well.
A year ago, my friends and I NEVER would bring flower/oil/materials from one house to another. I certainly never expected anyone to bring their own... now it is just common. No sharing is the new norm.

Have any of you adopted new practices for outdoor socially distant sociallizing?
It is so rejuvenating and refreshing to interact in person.

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
Have any of you adopted new practices for outdoor socially distant sociallizing?
It is so rejuvenating and refreshing to interact in person.

... we haven't changed anything... still passing things around sharing what we got... i keep in tight circles but we've never changed how we do things... nobody really has changed there behaviour...

...also fortunate to be in the area we are...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah the biggest adventure for me, was going to my friends a month ago, taking a couple dabs out of a clean rig... took me a long time to get to that point and it's not going to be a regular thing, we hung out for a few hours though I kept my mask on the whole time... At home I have my roommate who I should be able to trust enough to share a piece with, but instead I gave him his own vape to use, or his own glass stem to use one of mine... Fortunately that is easy enough, but yeah sharing with strangers or even more friends, out and about too, I don't know how I will ever do that again honestly.

Top Bottom