Scope and Stack Rook Portable Enail

szai

Scope and stack announced this device late last year and they are starting to catch up on preorders. I have been interested for it in months and now hope maybe I can get one to review.

Rook™
QUALITY OVER ALL
Using Lithium Ion batteries and our patented mechanical-electric temperature control we created a portable, silent, reliable and luxurious experience. Each Rook™ housing are machined completely from hardened aircraft grade aluminum. The rotation control utilizes 2 sealed ball bearing assemblies for seamless lifetime operation.

WARRANTY
We stand behind each product we sell. All Rook™ enail battery systems carry a 5 year warranty against any issues whatsoever with its operation and battery life. No questions asked repairs

SPECS
Each unit has a temperature range of 200-800*F

14,000Mah Lithium Ion

1hr 30mins continuous use at 600* on Battery.

4 hour intermittent use on Battery.

3 hours to fully charge. Unit can be used as normal while on the charger using our pass-through technology

Dimensions:

Rook™ 140mm x 78mm

fx-gs

tylerj55

I’ve been looking at this for a while, seems like the Hyer e-nail but way better hopefully. I hope somebody can get one and review soon because this would be so much nicer than my Peak because I can use my heady glass.

tylerj55,
Reactions: szai

BlueHueCO

I can't wait for someone to get there hands on one of these here, so they can write a review. I'm wanting one so badly it may just be me. I got enough enails as is though lol.

BlueHueCO,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What's the benefit of this over running a regular enail off a battery pack? I get that it's a bit more compact, but PeliNail/DC has been doing battery powered dabs for years. NewVape had a setup to run their gear off a battery bank, and I know MaxVapor has at least had a prototype battery operated controller for a while now.

I don't see it really being used in the same scenario as a Peak as the Peak is ready in under 30 seconds, this still has a hot exposed nail and will still take 5 minutes to saturate the nail. I guess we can assume from the description that the temperature adjusts in 100 degree increments as the dial goes from 2-8 and the temperature range is listed from 200-800F. If that's the case, considering the limited amount of settings IMO that's a fairly poor temperature layout that doesn't really take advantage of the vaporization "sweet spot"

What size is the banger? Is that a proprietary size/part?

BlueHueCO

The banger is a Evan Shore 25mm, but they say if you send them any 25mm banger, they can put the heater on it for like 100$. Sure it's more than a coil, but the hard mounted ceramic heaters take out a variable for people who don't want to tinker. There are many people I think who would be down for one of these, and many of them are a similar demographic to the peak. People who don't want to optimize the experience, who instead just want it to be consistent and simple. This is for that peak kind of demographic, who happens to also use full size inserts. While obviously it doesn't have the heatup of a peak, that is just what happens with the added Quartz layer. However, drop in inserts can give a similar effect. I think it's a nice option to have, but I also don't like coils on Quartz just chilling. I don't trust it. While it's yet to be seen, this seems like it could be less fragile. However, if I were to get a non-Ti based enail setup, I'd probably take a chance on your doohickey. So keep up the good work on that.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The banger is a Evan Shore 25mm, but they say if you send them any 25mm banger, they can put the heater on it for like 100$. Sure it's more than a coil, but the hard mounted ceramic heaters take out a variable for people who don't want to tinker. There are many people I think who would be down for one of these, and many of them are a similar demographic to the peak. People who don't want to optimize the experience, who instead just want it to be consistent and simple. This is for that peak kind of demographic, who happens to also use full size inserts. While obviously it doesn't have the heatup of a peak, that is just what happens with the added Quartz layer. However, drop in inserts can give a similar effect. I think it's a nice option to have, but I also don't like coils on Quartz just chilling. I don't trust it. While it's yet to be seen, this seems like it could be less fragile. However, if I were to get a non-Ti based enail setup, I'd probably take a chance on your doohickey. So keep up the good work on that.

I can definitely appreciate the simplicity of this, I dig the minimalist approach, and aesthetically I'm a fan. I just feel like for $600 to only get, IMO, two usuable temperature settings seems like a bit of an oversight. I might even have to say the Peak has a superior temperature configuration with its 4 settings as they are all in a usable range. If 500 is just a little too low, the next step up is 600, I think that's really not ideal for temperature management but I agree that some people won't care. however, you gotta be a bit of a headi boi/terp snob to drop $600 on any cannabis consumption device. The cheap-o's will still buy the $80 enail off DHgate which ironically have a fully functioning PID controller. :hmm:

Part of me just can't help but feel like this is essentially the old analog dimmer enail with a lithium battery pack.

s16623_2048x2048.jpg

IMO the heatup time for enails is the same reason they still haven't really caught on. I remember when they first came out, my buddy spent over $800 on the original Highly Educated enail platform around a decade ago. (dude still has it, works like new) In my experience most peak owners beyond those who exclusively use the Peak, tend to still do torch dabs for most of their medicating. I honestly think people just don't want to wait for anything to heat up, its the instantaneous on demand world we live in.

I am curious as to how well the heater fits. Every quartz banger I've ever owned was a slightly different size regarding coil fitment, so I'm pretty curious how this is compensating for that. I looked into doing a similar rigid enclosed heater for my vape, kind of like this, but I concluded that not being able to manually adjust the coil could present a major fitment issue. That was the first problem I encountered with my vape is the tolerance of hand worked glass/quartz just isn't the same as CNC'd metal.

Last edited:

BlueHueCO

Yeah the temp granularity leaves much to be desired on this, that is my one issue with it. Hopefully it has a trick up its sleeve, like having Bluetooth for tuning the temp values of a given dial location. If not, that would be a major bummer. However, the plug in unit with the controller and coil and banger is 350 (510 for two bangers, no battery), which considering you're getting American Quartz, isn't that bad to me. They talk a big game on their warranty, so if they stand by it, I would be comfortable at that price.

To me, I get surprised when people revert to a torch from an enail. Personally, I get home, click the controller's power on, and I come back when I'm ready. From my perspective, it's no heat-up :). Then again, I'm the type that has a 2 minute, low flame, methodical torch regimen with torch bangers. So I never looked at bangers the way I look at say, a splinter. If I'm doing wake and bake, then it's similar, but go gather breakfast while the nail saturates. But i know what you mean, that instant heat-up makes all the difference for some.

I am also curious how they do it, they say they have a proprietary tool for it. I guess the question is if those side wall parts are rigid heaters, or just insulators that can be slightly bent or formed to accommodate for inconsistency of the Quartz. Maybe they are heaters, and there are just screws that friction mount to the Quartz with a sort soft material in between to keep the screw from damaging the quartz? That could be a good method for fitting to inconsistent bangers. They must have some slick method if they got the confidence to throw the heater on any ol 25mm you send. Either way, I'm just happy to see new options, hopefully the temp settings aren't as they appear though. Only a few settings isn't the best for a conduction unit. I don't mind for convection, but conduction benefits from granular temp control.

nicosuave

Ordered one, should be here next week. One key difference here that I see vs other units is the magnetic connector on the heating unit, allowing you to more conveniently use with smaller pieces especially.

I do not believe the dial is a linear dimmer. Looking at instagram stories they've posted, I've seen the dial from 2 to ~6 or so. Anyways, will post an update once I've tested.

nicosuave,
Reactions: JCat

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Ordered one, should be here next week. One key difference here that I see vs other units is the magnetic connector on the heating unit, allowing you to more conveniently use with smaller pieces especially.

Good point, that's a real issue I've had with my 10mm flavor saver minitubes.

I do not believe the dial is a linear dimmer. Looking at instagram stories they've posted, I've seen the dial from 2 to ~6 or so. Anyways, will post an update once I've tested.

The dial has steps 2-8 and the website lists 200-800F degrees, so I'm assuming 100F steps.

Are you planning to use it as a home rig or portable?

Let us know what you think of it! :cheers:

nicosuave

Good point, that's a real issue I've had with my 10mm flavor saver minitubes.

The dial has steps 2-8 and the website lists 200-800F degrees, so I'm assuming 100F steps.

Are you planning to use it as a home rig or portable?

Let us know what you think of it! :cheers:

Fortunately the dial is not stepped! I'm planning to mostly use at home, so I'm looking forward to taking it out back, etc. I took a break from vaping hardware for a few years in lieu of cartridges, but glad to be back lately. Grabbed a peak a few months ago and like it, but sometimes want more flexibility.

I'm glad I missed the e-nail phase given the prevalence of hodgepodgy solutions. Back in my day, we used torches to heat up 14mm nails and hit them hot LOL. Ignorance is bliss, and I don't know what I'm missing regarding PID controllers (or rather, I'm not acclimated to using one). I'll take a non-clunky hardware package over precise temperature accuracy anyday.

While the peak is touted for it's temperature control, many peak owners swap in a new insert, altering the properties of the temperature control. Despite that, the peak is still perceived by many as an optimal dabbing experience (at least around temperature).

nicosuave,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Fortunately the dial is not stepped! I'm planning to mostly use at home, so I'm looking forward to taking it out back, etc. I took a break from vaping hardware for a few years in lieu of cartridges, but glad to be back lately. Grabbed a peak a few months ago and like it, but sometimes want more flexibility.

I'm glad I missed the e-nail phase given the prevalence of hodgepodgy solutions. Back in my day, we used torches to heat up 14mm nails and hit them hot LOL. Ignorance is bliss, and I don't know what I'm missing regarding PID controllers (or rather, I'm not acclimated to using one). I'll take a non-clunky hardware package over precise temperature accuracy anyday.

While the peak is touted for it's temperature control, many peak owners swap in a new insert, altering the properties of the temperature control. Despite that, the peak is still perceived by many as an optimal dabbing experience (at least around temperature).

How’d this one turn out?:brow:

invertedisdead,
  • Haha
Reactions: nicosuave

nicosuave

I received mine today and have used for a couple dabs. Bravo, what a hell of a little device:clap:

Will follow with photos later this evening, along with some initial impressions.

nicosuave

Finish of the device is second to none for a vape device. Hefty anodized aluminum controller feels well built (approaching Apple levels of refinement). The whole top of the device is the temperature dial and there is a power button on bottom. It's intentionally simple.

IMG-8766.jpg

The led position is equivalent to the temperature of the banger and is *not* stepped. Seems to hold temperature pretty steadily for a few minutes (per terpometer), but I have not just left it sitting around on for hours on end to verify steadiness of the banger temperature.

IMG-6218-2.jpg

This device is *such* a game changer for enabling the above. Best of all, it vapes like a dream.

As a bonus, battery capacity is now 20k mah.

Edit: Updated image host.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Is there a thermocouple regulating the heater or is it just a rheostat?

How long is the cord? Can you leave the battery on the coffee table while doing dabs on the couch?

invertedisdead,
Reactions: arb

nicosuave

Is there a thermocouple regulating the heater or is it just a rheostat?

How long is the cord? Can you leave the battery on the coffee table while doing dabs on the couch?

Think it's a rheostat based on more in-depth temp readings with both IR as well as surface temp via contact, but don't quote me. I saw some slight temperature creep as the nail was on for a bit, but no wide swings. I assume the quartz and heater cover were not fully heat saturated between the time I first checked and last checked. Granted, I don't have a thermal imaging camera or anything lol. I accept the tradeoff of occasionally checking temperatures when the device has been on for a while for the convenience of it not being a pain in my ass (easy to move, easy to swap between smol rigs). Still easier than torching and temping.

Cord is maybe 3ft on the banger side, 10ft on the wall side. Yes, dabs on the couch are fine. Disconnecting the magnetic connector post heating or mid-dab is also an option if need be (nice to have that flexibility).

Happy to answer any other questions! And if anyone has an IR camera I can borrow (seems there's phone attachments these days), I would be curious to test temps more in-depth. This is more out of my own curiosity, as I have no problems with temperature fluctuations.

Last edited:

DabbyJones

Hey man! I just ordered my rook and am so stoked to see how it performs. I’ve been reading throughout the thread and have been getting some really useful information, given nobody has any reviews of this thing! My question is what is your cleaning process from dab to dab. Do you use iso/q-tips per rip? Also do you put it on the highest setting and it cleans? I am very curious as this seems to be the biggest deal for me with this e-nail. I was thinking of getting an insert just for cleaning convenience. Let me know if I am thinking too much about it or even if an insert is necessary. Thanks!!

DabbyJones,
Reactions: nicosuave

nicosuave

Hey man! I just ordered my rook and am so stoked to see how it performs. I’ve been reading throughout the thread and have been getting some really useful information, given nobody has any reviews of this thing! My question is what is your cleaning process from dab to dab. Do you use iso/q-tips per rip? Also do you put it on the highest setting and it cleans? I am very curious as this seems to be the biggest deal for me with this e-nail. I was thinking of getting an insert just for cleaning convenience. Let me know if I am thinking too much about it or even if an insert is necessary. Thanks!!

Right on! Hope you enjoy. Have mainly been using q-tips without iso. Tried a bit of distilled water to steam clean and that helped a little in the few cases where I went in too hot. I noticed some issues with terpometer accuracy, so have been using an IR gun to check the bucket temperature. I cranked it up to burn off the small amount of residue from going in too hot and that mostly helped + a plastic scouring pad assisted as well. Don't think an insert is necessary.

nicosuave,
Reactions: VGOODIEZ

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I have been considered this. Has anyone that purchased the Rook even considered the Knight (non battery version)?

The inclusion of the ESB and cap make this price point much more tolerable especially if you already have glass and are looking for a dedicated enail setup.

I like the design. My perception is it about the size of a 12oz soda can. Owner's, how far off am I here?

Not sure I like not having more precise temperature control but in all fairness I usually find a spot and leave it there anyway. I'm sure I could find a comfortable settling point.

Other things I learned speaking to the rep. over on IG....

It will charge while using. If you run the battery down all the way you only need to plug it in for a minute or two before you can kick it on again to use with AC power and again it will still charge then. This is a significant advantage over other external battery pack setups. With those you cannot charge the battery and use the AC out. It will take about 2.5 hours to go back full charge, even while using it.

The company is out of Eugene, OR and the rep. on IG (quite possibly the owner) was very pleasant and great answering all my questions.

Last edited:

nicosuave

I have been considered this. Has anyone that purchased the Rook even considered the Knight (non battery version)?

The inclusion of the ESB and cap make this price point much more tolerable especially if you already have glass and are looking for a dedicated enail setup.

I like the design. My perception is it about the size of a 12oz soda can. Owner's, how far off am I here?

Not sure I like not having more precise temperature control but in all fairness I usually find a spot and leave it there anyway. I'm sure I could find a comfortable settling point.

Other things I learned speaking to the rep. over on IG....

It will charge while using. If you run the battery down all the way you only need to plug it in for a minute or two before you can kick it on again to use with AC power and again it will still charge then. This is a significant advantage over other external battery pack setups. With those you cannot charge the battery and use the AC out. It will take about 2.5 hours to go back full charge, even while using it.

The company is out of Eugene, OR and the rep. on IG (quite possibly the owner) was very pleasant and great answering all my questions.

Whoops, sorry for the late reply, missed this. I considered the Knight, but decided $200 wasn't too much of a boon for the option of portability. The Rook is roughly the diameter of a tallboy beer can but half the height. Knight being a bit shorter than that even.

I would prefer precise temperature control, but it's not tough to keep it in a good range for vaping. I don't need to check temperature too often anymore, but rather have a sense for it. Micro adjustments are becoming muscle memory based on how long the unit has been on as well as how it's hitting.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Whoops, sorry for the late reply, missed this. I considered the Knight, but decided $200 wasn't too much of a boon for the option of portability. The Rook is roughly the diameter of a tallboy beer can but half the height. Knight being a bit shorter than that even.

I would prefer precise temperature control, but it's not tough to keep it in a good range for vaping. I don't need to check temperature too often anymore, but rather have a sense for it. Micro adjustments are becoming muscle memory based on how long the unit has been on as well as how it's hitting.
Appreciate! I have a few units in transit and will be back with my thoughts.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Wow I can’t believe nobody has mentioned how this thing is designed to be used, cause it’s a game changer. I just saw a video of this in use on IG, the magnetic power plug is designed so you can simply unhook and take your dab cord free, basically an improved version of #shoobtek @Shooby

totally bitchin, now I want one!! The extra heat capacity of the heater sitting on the nail during the unplug probably provides lots of heat retention too.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Like that enthusiasm, phenomenal seems a bit too much but I agree that magnetic power plug is something I could use a lot!

Hmm, I'm giving a look at their website, I may be tempted by that Knight... I'll lket you know if VAS will win again!

Edit: Interesting website but not for everybody... did you saw the 24K S&S Rook? 7100$!!! And somebody know what's that Pom Oc item for sale at 1780$... mysterious cause it's not mentionned what it is exactly... Sorry but 350$ is too much for me at the moment, VAS didn't won but I still rest on the market in case of a future discount or second hand unit. I don't think the dial to be a so large issue, it may take some time to find your "perfect" spot but when you get it it's easily reproductible imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom