Sativa lovers

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
whaaaaat? 24 hours on?! it's impossible i think? flowering occurs while it's dark... it gains energy from the lights, but actually flowering occurs while it's dark......

wow, it must be so non-potent if you leave the lights for 24 hours on!
I know for a fact that cannabis must have hours of darkness for flowering stage....
Please stop. Please!

This is plainly rubbish and if you spent 1/10th of your time typing on actual research then you would know it was rubbish.

I think you have stated that you do not grow and have zero experience on growing so why do you feel so qualified to make such statements?

GoldenBud

Please stop. Please!

This is plainly rubbish and if you spent 1/10th of your time typing on actual research then you would know it was rubbish.

I think you have stated that you do not grow and have zero experience on growing so why do you feel so qualified to make such statements?
this is super important for you to read:
this too:

flowering stage will be a failure without hours of fully darkness. read and enjoy :)

Cannabis plants can be grown under continuous 24/0 lighting. They do not require a dark phase to perform their basic functions of growth during the vegetative stage. There are plants that only can absorb carbon dioxide at night and thus require a dark period to complete photosynthesis. However, Cannabis is a C3 plant, which means that it takes in carbon dioxide during the day and does not require a dark cycle to complete the photosynthesis cycle. That said, there is reason to believe that certain strains may benefit from a dark cycle. Furthermore, as we explain below, the benefits of 24/0 lighting are minor and may not be worth the additional costs for electricity.

Light Cycles for Auto-Flowering Plants​

Auto-flowering plants are day-length neutral, which means that they do not depend on light or dark intervals for the induction of flowering. They are bred by crossing cannabis with a day neutral plant that has a fast flowering cycle, ruderalis. This means that longer light cycles can be used during flowering and therefore you can provide more total energy to the plant during the flowering cycle. Rather than reducing the lights to 12/12, you can continue to provide 18/6 lighting to auto-flowering plants throughout their life-cycle. You can increase your yields, but of course you also increase your electricity use, so it will also increase the expense of the grow. As a result, it is not more efficient in terms of returns to electricity, but auto-flowering plants may allow you to harvest more within a certain time-frame, which may be more important to some growers.

Light Period: Light is very important at every stage of the life cycle of a cannabis plant, and a photoperiod of 12 hours light/12 hours dark is required during the flowering stage. Cannabis will only flower if there are more than 12 hours of continuous uninterrupted darkness and getting any light during the dark period may cause your plant to slow flowering and even revert to the vegetative stage or start producing hermaphroditic flowers.

To grow cannabis successfully indoor, you need to mimic the natural growth pattern. When you grow your cannabis outdoor, they start to develop buds (flowers) as the days gets shorter, and they receive a minimum of 12 hours of complete darkness. To do this, just switch your light usage from 18 to 24 hours of good sunlight daily down to 12 hours of light and also of 12 hours of darkness for the cannabis life cycle.

2. DO AUTOFLOWERS NEED DARKNESS?​

There are growers who believe autoflowering plants need a dark period and won’t be as healthy if they get a 24/0 light schedule. There’s no real evidence of that but there may be exceptions. Also have in mind that a 24/0 will lower humidity, increase temperature, and increase the light bill.

5. 18/6 LIGHT CYCLE​

This is the most common cycle for autoflowers. You're providing enough light for your plants to develop and a few hours of dark for them to rest, encouraging healthy growth. This can be good in hot climates.

You can leave your lights at night and have them turn off during the 6 hottest hours of the day. By using this schedule you’ll be using around 25% less electricity, which adds up to be a good economy at the end of every harvest.

As explained earlier, this would mean 24 hours of complete light with no dark period. Many growers claim this is good for autos when they’re in the vegetative stage as they require more light. Also, if you live in colder climes, this is good as it helps keep your plant warm by raising the growing room temperature. However, this could give you quite a heavy bill by the end of cultivation.

24HR LIGHT CYCLE​

Some growers will even give their autos a full 24 hours of light, arguing that this helps maximise vegetative growth. Growers who stick to 18-hour light cycles, on the other hand, argue that this gives their plants a short “recovery” period that is essential for healthy growth.

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty
@GoldenBud Im sure your intentions are good but it is time to back off. You are not a grower and have no personal experience. I, like most homegrowers, have read that kind of information and know much of that stuff already. I keep bees too and the saying we have is if you ask ten beekeepers about an issue you will get 10 different answers. I make sourdough bread. Same thing.

This thread is about enjoying so-called sativa strains that provide a head high not a body stone.

GoldenBud

@GoldenBud Im sure your intentions are good but it is time to back off. You are not a grower and have no personal experience. I, like most homegrowers, have read that kind of information and know much of that stuff already.

This thread is about enjoying so-called sativa strains.
we're talking about information here, reading, science, etc', who said i must be a grower to participate in this conversation?
i can understand how plants live/grow without being a grower mate

yeah, this thread is about enjoying so-called sativa strains, but we're talking about the difference between Auto sativa vs Reg/Fem sativa and its potential..

GoldenBud,

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
@GoldenBud
Thanks.
I should have been more clear.

Ive been growing for over 30 years, regs, fems and autos so I'm perfectly aware of the light cycles of the plant.

You are sending several threads down pointless rabbit holes and spreading misinformation.

And you do really need to be a grower to comment if you think statements such as
whaaaaat? 24 hours on?! it's impossible i think? flowering occurs while it's dark... it gains energy from the lights, but actually flowering occurs while it's dark...... so must be 18-6 yea... not 24 hours on...
are correct.

Simply because if you are a grower, you would not make such bold and frankly, ridiculous statements.

Anyway, as someone else stated earlier, it's fairly pointless engaging with you as you just double down.

Good luck.

GoldenBud

You are sending several threads down pointless rabbit holes and spreading misinformation.
Read what I had sent, and then come back with an answer please. I also want to hear your opinion. I attached many links saying it's better to give hours of fully darkness in the flowering stage.
And you do really need to be a grower to comment if you think statements such as
I am not a grower now, I can't be for now. but I was reading a lot, hours of reading. not like you've mentioned 10% or so, I spent hours by hours.
Ive been growing for over 30 years, regs, fems and autos so I'm perfectly aware of the light cycles of the plant.
Talk science to me, i am here for the discussion. can you explain why it sounds right to give Auto flowers 24 hours of lightning? it's clearly obvious that plants need fully dark hours through flowering stage. and why would somebody grow Autos Indoor?

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Talk science to me, i am here for the discussion. can you explain why it sounds right to give Auto flowers 24 hours of lightning? it's clearly obvious that plants need fully dark hours through flowering stage.

and why would somebody grow Autos Indoor?
Why? Regardless of not listening to other peoples replies, you really can't "free think" this question on your own?

Bologna,

GoldenBud

Why? Regardless of not listening to other peoples replies, you really can't "free think" this question on your own?

why grow autoflowers indoors - Google Search
thanks for your reply.

1687614745957.jpg

• LOWER YIELD​

The small size and short life cycle of autoflowers come with a tradeoff: smaller harvests. Their compact stature means they can’t produce as many bud sites as a taller photoperiod plant. Outdoor yields usually clock in at around 80–180g/plant.

Some photoperiod sativa giants grow into what look like trees, whereas indicas put out incredibly dense and fruitful canopies. Most autoflowers don’t exceed 1m in height, and their canopies bloom fewer buds.

Additionally, there are only so many buds an autoflower can put out over such a short flowering time. Photoperiod strains have time to mature into highly productive specimens. Autoflowers, on the other hand, have to put out what they can before their short lifespan comes to a close.

Cons of Growing Autoflowering Marijuana Plants​

As with anything, there are also a few disadvantages that you need to be aware of when it comes to autoflowering cannabis plants:

1. Their Size May Be Underwhelming​

While their size is an advantage when it comes to your privacy, growing autoflowering plants means you should never expect a massive yield. It's for this reason that growers looking to collect a higher yield settle instead for other types of cannabis plants, such as pure sativa.

2. You Need to Maximize Lighting​

Autoflowering plants should stay under increased lighting throughout the flowering stage. Additional lighting helps to maximize photosynthesis and energy production.

It's important to remember that grow lights may also increase your monthly electrical bill.

3. The THC Content Is Lower​

Many cannabis users choose to grow cannabis plants on their own because of the possibility to obtain cannabis strains with a higher THC content, varying between 25-30%.

This factor alone may be a major deciding one for you and may also make you turn your back on auto strains. These cannabis plants genetically don’t have decent THC content – CBD content perhaps.

Should You Autoflower Cannabis?​

Autoflowering plants might not be interesting for experienced growers, but the case is different for novices. These plants are much easier to grow for novices. Even the impatient cannabis growers consider adding them to their grow rooms. Auto strains may not be perfect, but they are still worth considering for many reasons.

@Bologna but there are some advantages too, I was just reading them. thanks. so it's not too bad choice, but it seems like better Fem' seeds indoor

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

Why focus only on the cons? Your question why would someone do something, not why not to do it.
because if there are drawbacks, people should choose Feminized seeds Indoor, but yea, absolutely it has some advantages!
"
Autoflowers have a significantly shorter life span than photoperiodic strains. Depending on the strain you grow, photoperiodic cannabis can take up to 4 months+ to reach maturity. In contrast, autoflowering cannabis is usually ready for harvest 8–10 weeks after germination of the seed. This means you don’t have to wait as long to enjoy those precious buds. Furthermore, this really comes into play when you consider growing sativa strains. Photoperiodic sativas can sometimes take 5 months to grow or more. If you opt for an autoflowering sativa, the sooner harvest time is really an asset. This is true for both indoor and outdoor grows. Outdoors, the shorter life cycle makes even more of a difference because you can grow several runs instead of one.
"

"

7. NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE LIGHT SCHEDULE​

1*VHzzf3BBSMKisPcOSN6r3g.jpeg

NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE LIGHT SCHEDULE
This is perhaps the biggest advantage of autoflowering cannabis and thus deserves its own point. Flowering independent of the light cycle is not only what gives autoflowers their name in the first place, but their most important property. You don’t have to worry about switching your light schedule to 12/12 at the right time to force plants to transition into bloom. Autoflowers will flower with 12, 18, hell, even 24 constant hours of light. Nearly all the advantages we listed above can be ascribed to this one special trait.
"

Farid

I've always loved the effects of indicas, but sativas have some wicked unique strains, which has me thinking about them for my next grow.

Specifically Jack Herer. That was one of the first strains I ever smoked, and the flavor is so unique. I can't adequately describe it, but there's something truly special about that strong spicey flavor.

If I'm looking to source Jack Herer, who has the best genetics? Specifically I'm looking for that smell that's very spicey, and woody - almost like Lapsang Souchong Tea.

GoldenBud

So, are you in agreement, acquiescing or contradicting yourself here...? I honestly have no idea... 🤷‍♂️
no, i think people shouldn't use Autos Indoor. but if you already got Autos seeds, grow them.
Autos can't support "pheno hunting", so you can't find a real nice smelly tasty pheno, it's hit or miss. you may find something good and may not.

they said in some links I was adding here, that Autos flowering can reach up to 25% THC, and Fem up to 30% THC. so the difference is not too big, but they never talked about terpenes etc'.

if you can control the lights, I don't see a reason to choose Autos in reality. if you don't know when the "12/12" will occur, like in Outdoors, yeah, use Autos

When I added the advantages of Autos seeds, I tried to see Autos in a very positive eyes for few minutes, but frankly, I'd choose Feminized Indoor any second...

@Farid

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Growing autos outside in wet/humid climates is particularly difficult due to rot... how about areas that get very little sun or have cold winters... can't grow outside then, what are you gonna do?

Say you don't have 4-6 months to grow, only like 2-3... what are you gonna grow, photos that don't finish or autos that do?

Say you only have one small space to grow, like 2' x 2' x 4'... what then?

Say you want 3 harvests in a small space in one year, what do you do?

How do you "pheno hunt" in a small space? What if you don't want to pheno hunt at all?

I could go on and on and on...

The fact is, most people do not exist in ideal situations/circumstances... why talk ideals then?

It's like asking someone why they even bother growing indoors without having a mother room, a veg room and a flowering room? I mean wtf?

Why do something as a hobby when it could be full time?

You ask questions but you don't want answers...

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Say you don't have 3-5 months to grow, only like 2-3... what are you gonna grow, photos that don't finish or autos that do?
Autos are not finished in 2 months, let's say 3, so you do have Feminized seeds that requires 20 days of veg' stage then 50 days of flowering.... if you live in a state where it's legal to grow, you can buy a specific cut that supports it for sure.... the difference between 60 days to 70 days is not too big....
Say you only have one small space to grow, like 2' x 2' x 4'... what then?
You can absolutely grow Reg/Fem seeds in a 2'x2'x4' . you just need to see in youtube videos of cannabis topping and then watch some video of growing with nets so the plants will not grow too high so when you join into flowering stage, it will not be too close to the lights:

when you have small tent like 2'x2x'4x your goal is to have a net or even 2 nets at some point and even use Zip Ties during veg' stage to use your width or the tent, not your height. maximize your area.

Say you want 3 harvests in a small space in one year, what do you do?
you can finish with a Fem seed in like 70 days or 75 days, you can even do 4 harvests....
How do you "pheno hunt" in a small space? What if you don't want to pheno hunt at all?
because you unlikely to achieve such buds without pheno hunting (also the smell and taste were incredible)
GLOOKIE.jpg

i didn't grow it, i never pheno hunt it, but i understood it takes like 22 days of veg' then 58 days of flowering, and it is much better than any Auto buds i ever seen. much stronger, tastes better, smells much stronger
It's like asking someone why they even bother growing indoors without having a mother room, a veg room and a flowering room? I mean wtf?
because the same mother can live 1 year or so . 1 years of the absolutely incredible cannabis vs random Autos flowers
and you can make another mother etc', taking cuts from the OG mother etc', the pheno can live like 10 years or so or even more. pheno of top shelf cannabis that you will never want to prefer something else over. it's an investment to do it, but it lasts years. not months.

growing Autos requires less hours in YouTube etc', but it's less potent...
I don't want to tell you @Bologna that people are lazy, because I am probably a bit lazy too.
Yes, it's sad, but that's life. people tend to do the easy stuff. And I am too afraid to grow etc'.

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
  • Sad
Reactions: Bologna

GoldenBud

Someone else want to talk over here...? I've reached my daily limit.
in the meanwhile, learn in youtube how to do "topping" / using nets / zip ties and using the area to the widths, avoiding growing too high to the lights... that is the key for growing in small tents...

(Using Zip Ties etc' is being done only in the veg' stage, also topping)

GoldenBud,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Someone else want to talk over here...? I've reached my daily limit.

Sorry, can’t participate, as I have never grown. YouTube is fine, depending on how smart you are to disseminate the real facts. My first choice of information would be from those that actually grow, there is no substitute for hands on knowledge….
Arguing back and forth with those that only have google knowledge, seems like an exercise in futility!
But have fun….

GoldenBud

youtube is fine only if you already had spent hours reading online reliable sources imho

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

Reading is fine prep, but true knowledge comes from getting your hands DIRTY.
I’m out, better things to do…..
Have FUN kids!
Talking about general ideas and common knowledge, facts etc', can be done without getting your hands DIRTY.
anyway, it's a sativa thread.
what's your most favorite sativa?

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Sorry, can’t participate, as I have never grown. YouTube is fine, depending on how smart you are to disseminate the real facts. My first choice of information would be from those that actually grow, there is no substitute for hands on knowledge….
Arguing back and forth with those that only have google knowledge, seems like an exercise in futility!
But have fun….

You're absolutely right! I grew outdoors '87-'92 with a couple of years indoor at the end, too. After my first year growing stash seeds that actually did ok, I flew to Amsterdam with a buddy to get good seeds (sensi seeds/seed bank)... they were: "skunkbud #1", "big bud", "early pearl", "pure indica", "purple indica" and "nigerian".... "northern lights #5" was just released but too expensive (about $200 for 10). They had just started talking about ruderalis crosses and a picture of one was on the back of the catalogue... the term "autoflower" hadn't even been coined yet and feminized seeds didn't exist. The best/most consistent performer outdoors here in Massachusetts was the skunkbud #1... it was also the cheapest at like $20 for 10. The big bud also did quite well for me... the early pearl didn't survive germination. My buddy's purple and pure indicas were pretty awesome and the nigerians didn't even come close to finishing... haha. Good memories! :leaf:✌️

Last edited:
Bologna,
Reactions: Farid

GoldenBud

2. DO AUTOFLOWERS NEED DARKNESS?​

There’s no real evidence of that.

Now I need evidence that GoldenBud is not a plain troll.
but you will have flowers of like 15% THCA max.. or 10%
we want 25%+
we want trichomes, man!

creating mass of THCA requires dark hours

GoldenBud,
  • Sad
Reactions: DrJynx86
Top Bottom