• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin

I know I'm not the only noob who has asked this advice, but I have a few questions for the FC community that I figured you cats could help me out with.

1) All I have access to is a u smooth straightener & the lowest the temp will go is 250F, however it has a digital adjust temp & will go up to 450F or so. So I guess my question is am I using too hot of temp, I have been teetering around between 250-280 F & so far its produced a small but rewarding yield. Is there a certain way to do this so that my potiency & yield can meet somewhere in the middle.

2) if I was to press kief into dabbale wax, how would o go about that? Do I need to compress the kief first & put it in the parchment paper & wrap it in damp newspaper(my buddy mentioned that part to me) or do I need micron screen to squeeze in between parchment paper. Or do I even need a micron screen at all to press it?

3) If I am to need a micron screen where would be a good local place to find one (other than a head shop) or are there other materials that can replace the micron screen. I tried cheesecloth & that was a bust.

4) about how big should my flower pieces be? I've read anywhere from .25-1.0 flat, I just want to find a correct formula for all of this including excact ratios if nessicary.

5) about how many presses per flower & about how long should I be pressing for (at the correct temp of course)

6) what temp should I use when pressing the kief?

7) what's the highest yield as far as making dabbable wax goes? (Bho, rosin, dry sifting, bubble wax, etc.

Honeyconsumer,

I need an alternate method to the one I have now. My purging technique needs tweeking. I use Everclear... But I've read that their are other ways to do it. I just need one that doesn't require a vac.

I also wish I knew an excact ratio to use with butane & how many flowers.

Honeyconsumer,

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Should ask in rosin thread would get good answers fast. Use amazon to order 25u micron screen or you can look into tea bags. A 600 lbs trigger clamp. I pre press kief wrap in screen and barely dampen it and press until it stops flowing.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Should ask in rosin thread would get good answers fast. Use amazon to order 25u micron screen or you can look into tea bags. A 600 lbs trigger clamp. I pre press kief wrap in screen and barely dampen it and press until it stops flowing.

So your saying tea bags would do the exact same thing as micron screens? & would the tea bags affect the flavor?

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
I use micron screens and fold into a pouch with enough space to expand with heat. I don't notice any flavor from my screens???

iDRINKBLEACH,

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Oh im so sorry I meant slang "tea bags" from I believe Rosin Works. I have heard of people using unbleached coffee filters. If your in a real tough spot though and like me and have 0 patience even for amazon prime. I'd recommend finding a reusable coffee filter in nylon or ss those are usually 25u. It all depends on how much psi you have to back up your heat. I use a vice so I can go lower temps.

Last edited:
Oh im so sorry I meant slang "tea bags" from I believe Rosin Works. I have heard of people using unbleached coffee filters. If your in a real tough spot though and like me and have 0 patience even for amazon prime. I'd recommend finding a reusable coffee filter in nylon or ss those are usually 25u. It all depends on how much psi you have to back up your heat. I use a vice so I can go lower temps.

So regular unbleached coffee filters work for kief? & you use vice grips for pressure?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm just a perfectionist. I want everything to be authentic.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Its okay in the rosin thread I remember some one mentioning it. I use a bolton vice and plates from @Joel W. I'd suggest looking through the rosin thread a lot of people have fashioned diy hair straightner clamps (my old one before my new setup. If you take this route I'd suggest the irwin clamp I had to use a metal clamp because its all they had for 600lbs) for real cheap, a huge deal with rosin is the tools your using IMO. better my equipment got the better my yields seemed to be.

EDIT**I know the rosin thread is pretty big and the search engine isn't the best what I do is go to google, type your question and add fuckcombustion.com onto the end and you can navigate a lot easier. Always glad to help when/if I can.

randomtoker

The advantage of asking in the big rosin thread is that others after you will find your question and the answers in there along with other people's questions and answers (instead of all spread around in different threads).

Even though much of the current discussion in that thread has progressed to 'advanced' topics, I've found everyone very helpful and quick to answer (and not at all negative to newcomer questions). I think it's a good thing to have intro/beginner questions and info late in a big thread like that because it helps people looking at it for the first time (they don't necessarily have to go all the way to the beginning of the thread to get basic info).

Totally not preaching (sorry if it sounds like it), that's just a great list of questions you got there and it would be cool to see them with their accompanying answers in that thread. :tup:

darkrom

Great Scott!
I need an alternate method to the one I have now. My purging technique needs tweeking. I use Everclear... But I've read that their are other ways to do it. I just need one that doesn't require a vac.

I also wish I knew an excact ratio to use with butane & how many flowers.

Without a vac rule out butane honestly. Stick to rosin. Soilgrown himself doesn't use any kind of bag, and neither do I . Just spend the time picking out the flecks with a flat dabber or something and use the "contaminated" oil to top regular bowls of flower. No loss there.

Rosin is the way to go for home production unless you are into dry sift or bubble. The days of DIY bho are gone IMHO. Unless you are going to invest in a bare minimum vac setup. But even then the teenager with a hair straightener is going to be putting out terpier oil ... lol.

So unless you are processing industrial quantities for sale, solvents are no longer a DIY thing for my reasoning. You can make what I feel is better, solventless oil, for WAY less start up cost. With safer process and faster, no purging, no vac.

Without a vac rule out butane honestly. Stick to rosin. Soilgrown himself doesn't use any kind of bag, and neither do I . Just spend the time picking out the flecks with a flat dabber or something and use the "contaminated" oil to top regular bowls of flower. No loss there.

Rosin is the way to go for home production unless you are into dry sift or bubble. The days of DIY bho are gone IMHO. Unless you are going to invest in a bare minimum vac setup. But even then the teenager with a hair straightener is going to be putting out terpier oil ... lol.

So unless you are processing industrial quantities for sale, solvents are no longer a DIY thing for my reasoning. You can make what I feel is better, solventless oil, for WAY less start up cost. With safer process and faster, no purging, no vac.

I've been rosining, & it has occurred to me that the denser the bugs, the better the yield. I could be completely wrong there & have no idea what I'm talking about. But I feel as if the more compact the bud itself (before pressing) has more terps & will squeeze more oil.

Honeyconsumer,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
I get a huge yield when squishing my chemdog. I get much smaller yields from my Tahoe and S. Kush. Both the tahoe and kush are absolutely covered in trichs, have more smell than the chemdog actually, and put off just as much vapor in my devices.

The chemdog rosin is also less stable than the other two. I wonder if the type of terpene profile has something to do with it/how much yields you are able to achieve with rosin?

I have been experimenting with only the top cola material as well.

You are right though, I have been compacting it in a garlic press before squishing it out, and it really helps up the production, especially on that crucial first squish.

That being said, you might want to try this:
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

I am always shocked that people can afford to grow or buy product but can't buy a vacuum chamber online. You can find pre-made ones like Best Value Vac for about $150, IIRC that is how much mine cost. The 3CFM pump was like $80 at Harbor Freight. For ~$230 dollars you're purging 60 gram slabs to perfect in 1 day. Best advice anyone ever gave me was to spend the money on a vacuum, it paid for itself on the first run basically IMO. Time is money, seriously.

If you can't even get all the butane out of it, why would you ever add another solvent like ethanol that has an even higher boiling point? Seems counterproductive my friend.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Well, I'm not disagreeing per say, but

1) Why bother with getting in on solvent tech if you can just as easily gear towards solventless? Honestly, unless you are planning on building a closed-loop system and reclaiming the solvent, it is not economically worth it in the long term, as you continually need to invest in solvent to do a run. For $230 you could buy bubble bags, build dry sift trays, or get a vice and heated plate set up going. Then you don't have the continual cost of solvent, which you also need to purge.

2) It is recommended you vac purge in an oven that doesn't get your oil above (I think) 90F for about 72 hours, flipping 3 or 4 times during this process. You're not getting to perfect after 24 imo.

3) Much safer for qwet to be consumed when not vac. purged imo as well. You aren't dealing with benzene or mercaptan for one, and ethanol is vaporized safely as a "thing," at some bars. So while not necessarily desirable, vaporizing a touch of excess grain alcohol is much safer than vaporizing a touch of excess butane, no matter how "micro," the content remaining. I'm referring to the quick wash technique only, not blasting butane into ethanol.

seaofgreens,
The bad thing about etho/iso is that I Dont care what anyone's else has to say about it, but I personally can tell from testing myself that there is some sort of aggressiveness in the Etho itself, that I assure anyone whoever reads this, The Etho/Iso strips terps levels. I'm unsure of how many or which ones, but I am 110% for surr that it does. The vac method I'm looking into. Trust me guys. I just wish I could have just dabbale terps sometimes... Does anyone else feel like this?

Honeyconsumer,

Doobii

I get a huge yield when squishing my chemdog. I get much smaller yields from my Tahoe and S. Kush. Both the tahoe and kush are absolutely covered in trichs, have more smell than the chemdog actually, and put off just as much vapor in my devices.

The chemdog rosin is also less stable than the other two. I wonder if the type of terpene profile has something to do with it/how much yields you are able to achieve with rosin?

I have been experimenting with only the top cola material as well.
with less stable, a good night with the window open(if your not in a high humidity area) will usually make my rosin snappable.

Doobii,
Top Bottom