Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Okla68

Been pressing for YEARS, I'll use a cold plate occasionally but never found any need to collect with a razorblade... perhaps try a different technique for collection. Just keep the paper TIGHT and work fast, practice, practice, and practice.
Lots of variables determine if I use a blade. Sometimes even after a freezer period the product is still sappy to a degree making it messy to gather with a regular tool. The Right blade shaves it completely off the parchment, leaving it smooth and clean. Ive even reused it on a second press after gathering the 1st.
The only thing you have to clean after is the blade. And Everclear works quite well for that.
Ive had some strains that were Messy no matter what I did...different temp, pressure, time, etc. And Had to scrapeup with a blade. And like Strains, Not All Blades are the Same. Some tou can shave the entire sheet of parchment without a snag...others you cant shave 1/2 inch without slicing the paper and thats regardless of paper, slick or mat(prefer the Slick, precut sheets by Dulytek). Some strains you can gather an edge and half the product will comeup with it.
Theres Always more than one way to skin a critter !

Okla68

Anyone find a correlation between humidity and color of end product?

I am finding higher the humidity, anything above 62%, darker the end product.
Im thinking its more Strain and maturity of Trichomes (Amber as opposed to Milky) that affect color. A higher percentage of Leaf and Sugar leaf also seems to influence color.
With a higher Leaf to Flower ratio and a higher moisture content tends to squeeze more Chlorophyll which also darkens it. If it returns Dark using a 120 micron using a 37 micron dosent lighten it up either.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused

No.

Blue Dream.

Dried for 2 weeks slow and low.
No time in jar.
Humidity 64%.
Then pressed in 90bag for 2 mins total at 90c.
Nice and light.

IMG-20230111-161455.jpg

I find age of herb and variety has an effect on colour. Pressing time and temp also.
Ime not humidity.

tokenknifeguy

I've seen people on reddit mention about rehydrating the weed/hemp before pressing, as it is supposed to give better yields somehow. Not sure how true it is, as I don't really understand how the science would make it better for pressing.

Also, is the dabpress about the best (quality) press for under $500?

tokenknifeguy,
Reactions: LesPlenty

WelshBrok

I've seen people on reddit mention about rehydrating the weed/hemp before pressing, as it is supposed to give better yields somehow. Not sure how true it is, as I don't really understand how the science would make it better for pressing.

Also, is the dabpress about the best (quality) press for under $500?
I’ve found that rehydrating doesn’t help. Adding more water to the flower doesn’t equal more oil in the yield. If the good stuffs already evaporated off then there’s no way to get it back.

I guess it could reduce the amount that gets absorbed by overly dry plant material but it’s probably negligible.

On the bags question I’ve used pressclub bags and the dulytek ones and they were basically the same but the dulytek ones blew out a bit more.

Haven’t pressed in ages though as all the available flower I can get (U.K.) seems to be cured way too dry. Went from consistent ~24% golden coloured yields to lucky to get 15% darker stuff

LesPlenty

Company Rep
every so often I assume there is going to be some monumental breakthrough in bag-tech.
I used to blow out quite a few Dabpress bags, never happens with the Green Dream I linked above, I can pump with wild abandon on 10g pucks without fear of a blow-out. I now only get a blowout when I go over 15g in a puck and pump too fast.

waki

Hi, someone presses Moroccan hash. I would like to exchange views on pressure, minutes and temperature.

waki,

tgvp

Hi, someone presses Moroccan hash. I would like to exchange views on pressure, minutes and temperature.
I usually do 2x 2 minutes at 70° then 80°, but at a lower pressure with finer bags, 50u.

tgvp,

anasrzi

Will be pressing a batch of Walther White fresh frozen bubble in the next few days. Want to attain a nice clear shatter/taffy consistency overall. Aside from humidity what temps would you more seasoned rosin pressers suggest as a benchmark?

Tend to press on the higher end of things, assuming that helps to keep the waxes out but that's just a theory on my part. Pressure might well play a part too. Less is more regarding bubble pressing over herb pucks, should have less fats/lipids by default.

Any suggestions welcome as I don't press to often (have a Dabpress 10t with drip tech). Micron bag size 37u

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
Does that tend to get you a nice clear shatter or taffy @bizwaxzion ? Perhaps to much pressure will extract more waxes. That would make sense to me now, less is more.
In my experience, the end product consistency is more a factor of the source material than pressing parameters. Some strains press and collect very well and some are just terrible. Most need a little whipping over low heat to butter up. If you search this thread for my posts, there are some pics of the different end results.

Top Bottom