Roffu vs GTS

Dommen

Hi all, first post, looking for a recommendation. Currently considering Roffu (plus a brilliant cut) vs Arc gts hub. Hopefully someone has used both & can comment on results quality for my purposes as well as build quality & ease of use. Appreciate any insights you all have!

Situation/needs details:

Smoked a lot 20+ years ago, now looking to get into vaping. Discretion is one of my main concerns, as is experimenting with strains/flavors/effects. Not looking to get super stoney (for now at least, will buy a different setup when it comes to that). These 2 setups are similarly priced, but money isn’t a concern if you have some other recommendation.

Pros for each as I understand them:

Gts:
— pod system (ease of cleaning)
— slightly smaller & more discreet
— more reputable company & better build quality

Roffu:
— full temp control (vs 3 on gts plus it’s downloadable adjustments)
— usb-c
— removable battery
— ceramic mouthpiece

Dommen,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
If money is not a problem. I would opt for a tinymight. The more portables i try ,i only find TM beats them all in my usage case.
Battery life is great,size is portable and it packs hell of a punch :). The cooling units are doing a great job but it also does great with j-hooks and water filtration :).

Abysmal Vapor

If money isnt much of a concern I would recommend the Taffee Bowle for your use-case. Great flavor and very discreet
Well ok, but let the user know there are issues with this vaporizer model .
1) Mediocre battery life and non user replaceable.
2) Many users experience paint flaking on unit also inside the airpath ,so there is a risk involved in inhaling those.
3)Size is not pocketable ,so my like a home portable,having also in mind the battery situation.
4) Dont use the plastic cup with alcoholic or hot drinks otherwise it will crack.
@Dommen If those things wont make you regret your investment, i'd say go with the bowle.

Dommen

If money is not a problem. I would opt for a tinymight. The more portables i try ,i only find TM beats them all in my usage case.
Battery life is great,size is portable and it packs hell of a punch :). The cooling units are doing a great job but it also does great with j-hooks and water filtration :).
Thanks, I looked at tinymight and I like a lot about it. Obviously there’s no perfect product, but my issues with it are: need to stir, pita to take the stem in and out, & the glass stem looks like drug paraphernalia in my mind. Not at all out of the running, but I feel like I’m not convinced about it.

Well ok, but let the user know there are issues with this vaporizer model .
1) Mediocre battery life and non user replaceable.
2) Many users experience paint flaking on unit also inside the airpath ,so there is a risk involved in inhaling those.
3)Size is not pocketable ,so my like a home portable,having also in mind the battery situation.
4) Dont use the plastic cup with alcoholic or hot drinks otherwise it will crack.
I agree, didn’t like the taffee for those all those reasons

Abysmal Vapor

@Dommen Looks like you have already done some research. Cant really recommend the Roffu as there is very little user data to it,maybe wait a bit and see how it unfolds ? BTW there are also titanium stems for the TM if you dont like the glass ones.
Firewood seems to be like another good option if the looks suit you,but availability is scarce.

Dommen

Thanks, I looked at tinymight and I like a lot about it. Obviously there’s no perfect product, but my issues with it are: need to stir, pita to take the stem in and out, & the glass stem looks like drug paraphernalia in my mind. Not at all out of the running, but I feel like I’m not convinced about it
@Dommen Looks like you have already done some research. Cant really recommend the Roffu as there is very little user data to it,maybe wait a bit and see how it unfolds ? BTW there are also titanium stems for the TM if you dont like the glass ones.
That’s a good thought on replacement stem. Do you have an opinion about the constant rattling noise as mentioned in tvape’s review?

Dommen,

Dommen

That’s a good thought on replacement stem. Do you have an opinion about the constant rattling noise as mentioned
See, this is why i say never buy a Zeus product. Tvape owns Zeus and those "reviews" are actually ads that are designed to trick people. You cannot trust a single thing they have to say.
Ah ok, thanks. So the “rattling noise” in the TM is bs? Also, do you concur the TM may be the best fit for my criteria?

Dommen,

Razhumikin

I dont own a TM but there are literally hundreds of satisfied TM users on here and on Reddit, and ive never once heard a complaint about rattling. Seems like a good choice for you.

Abysmal Vapor

That’s a good thought on replacement stem. Do you have an opinion about the constant rattling noise as mentioned in tvape’s review?
It doesnt bother me too much. It is actually because it is PWM regulated. This type of regulation relies on Duty time - ON/OFF cycles,, it is more of a Humming than rattling,you can look it up online,google PWM noise :).
Also it heats up and extracts so fast ,so it is only a few seconds event ,even if it bothers you some. At this point i am so used to it ,that i can clearly say the benefits outweight the kinks by a lot.
I only like the performance of the Lamart Tetra/Tubo heater above it,but pocketability is just not there :).Also it eats battery very quickly,imo tm makes better use in terms of number of sessions,off the battery

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
It doesnt bother me too much. It is actually because it is PWM regulated. This type of regulation relies on Duty time - ON/OFF cycles,, it is more of a Humming than rattling,you can look it up online,google PWM noise :).
Also it heats up and extracts so fast ,so it is only a few seconds event ,even if it bothers you some. At this point i am so used to it ,that i can clearly say the benefits outweight the kinks by a lot.
I only like the performance of the Lamart Tetra/Tubo heater above it,but pocketability is just not there :).Also it eats battery very quickly,imo tm makes better use in terms of number of sessions,off the battery
At first when I read this thread I was like, "what rattling noise?" I use my TM almost every day and I have never heard the rattling noise. Although I could not be fucked to go read the tvapes review having seen their marketing reviews before.

But they are complaining about the nearly inaudible hum of the heater? I actually like the sound but if you have music on in the same room you probably won't hear it.

While I am here, I will throw in my two cents. I find the TM to be completely discrete, but the vapor is a dead giveaway. It might be that you want something that looks like an e-cig, in which case I would steer you away from most high-end devices. If you are just looking for something that doesn't look like a vape, when not in use, you could get a log, or maybe even a Sticky Brick Jr. I suppose it all depends on who you are hiding this
from and in what context. The most pocketable device I own is the FW7, but it also doesn't look like an e-cig.

I live in a legal state and own my home so I am probably a bad judge of discretion.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@Dommen do you need a portable or would a plug in vaporizer work?

You mentioned not wanting to stir. The only convection vape I have tried that doesn’t require this is my woodscents, but I suspect there is a bit of conduction going on here due to the titanium tip. It or possibly even a dynavap might work well if you want maximum efficiency of your flower, but the torch with the dyna is not to everyone’s liking. You might also enjoy the venerable mighty. It uses dosing capsules so can be convenient to refill on the go, and a hybrid heater that does a great job of producing vapor. It is a session model, though: you turn it on and unless you stop it early the heater is active the entire period of time it is on. It doesn’t have a great reputation around here as most users like full convection vapes for premium flavor, but if you don’t mind some loss (and it’s not horrible here either, just not as pure as an all glass full convection set up) there it’s dead simple to use and covers most of your other desires.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: cosimo

Dommen

At first when I read this thread I was like, "what rattling noise?" I use my TM almost every day and I have never heard the rattling noise. Although I could not be fucked to go read the tvapes review having seen their marketing reviews before.

But they are complaining about the nearly inaudible hum of the heater? I actually like the sound but if you have music on in the same room you probably won't hear it.

While I am here, I will throw in my two cents. I find the TM to be completely discrete, but the vapor is a dead giveaway. It might be that you want something that looks like an e-cig, in which case I would steer you away from most high-end devices. If you are just looking for something that doesn't look like a vape, when not in use, you could get a log, or maybe even a Sticky Brick Jr. I suppose it all depends on who you are hiding this
from and in what context. The most pocketable device I own is the FW7, but it also doesn't look like an e-cig.

I live in a legal state and own my home so I am probably a bad judge of discretion.
Thanks for the feedback on the noise and the suggestions. I’m mostly hiding from my kids (14 & 7), although I’ll probably be going in public at some point. I need to figure out for home if I will be in my basement with some kind of air purifier setup or in my back yard, but I expect this will need experimentation. Only on a 1/4 acre, so not sure how vape smell carries vs smoking. Size and appearance are what I’m concerned about. The original ones I mentioned were appealing cause they look like any sort of generic tech.

@Dommen do you need a portable or would a plug in vaporizer work?

You mentioned not wanting to stir. The only convection vape I have tried that doesn’t require this is my woodscents, but I suspect there is a bit of conduction going on here due to the titanium tip. It or possibly even a dynavap might work well if you want maximum efficiency of your flower, but the torch with the dyna is not to everyone’s liking. You might also enjoy the venerable mighty. It uses dosing capsules so can be convenient to refill on the go, and a hybrid heater that does a great job of producing vapor. It is a session model, though: you turn it on and unless you stop it early the heater is active the entire period of time it is on. It doesn’t have a great reputation around here as most users like full convection vapes for premium flavor, but if you don’t mind some loss (and it’s not horrible here either, just not as pure as an all glass full convection set up) there it’s dead simple to use and covers most of your other desires.
Hey Gordon, thanks for the input. The stirring concern was mostly in relation to the TM due to the tight fitting stem. I don’t want something too fiddly.

I did look at dynavap with an induction heater, specifically liking the revolve stem with the forthcoming sense heater. The smoking-like appearance is more conspicuous, but I’m really attracted to the ritual of smoking, being a former herb, cigarette, & cigar smoker.

I was off on the mighty+ due to size, non-removeable battery, and micro-usb ( though I realize the gts & TM are both micro, so I can live with it). Is the quality produced by the mighty+ so far and away above any other portable as some claim?

Hey Gordon, thanks for the input. The stirring concern was mostly in relation to the TM due to the tight fitting stem. I don’t want something too fiddly.

I did look at dynavap with an induction heater, specifically liking the revolve stem with the forthcoming sense heater. The smoking-like appearance is more conspicuous, but I’m really attracted to the ritual of smoking, being a former herb, cigarette, & cigar smoker.

I was off on the mighty+ due to size, non-removeable battery, and micro-usb ( though I realize the gts & TM are both micro, so I can lice with it). Is the quality produced by the mighty+ so far and away above any other portable as some claim?
Sorry, I guess you did mention there are better options re: quality.

Last edited:

Razhumikin

I was off on the mighty+ due to size, non-removeable battery, and micro-usb ( though I realize the gts & TM are both micro, so I can lice with it). Is the quality produced by the mighty+ so far and away above any other portable as some claim?
No its vapor quality is a lot worse than most artisan vapes imo. Mighty is a lot of hype.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
In my mind you have to determine if your a MTL (mouth to lung person) or a DTL (direct to lung person) before you purchase a vape. Being a MTL person my self I lean towards conductions vapes where I can get thick vapour while simply sipping on the vape, similar to a joint.

Those who prefer the DTL long inhales with little draw resistance will select convection vapes. Keep in mind that many vapes are hybrids and can offer a bit of both experiences.

Plenty of quality vapes available to support both types of preferences. FC members are always more than happy to answer questions about them. Good luck in your search!

Dommen

In my mind you have to determine if your a MTL (mouth to lung person) or a DTL (direct to lung person) before you purchase a vape. Being a MTL person my self I lean towards conductions vapes where I can get thick vapour while simply sipping on the vape, similar to a joint.

Those who prefer the DTL long inhales with little draw resistance will select convection vapes. Keep in mind that many vapes are hybrids and can offer a bit of both experiences.

Plenty of quality vapes available to support both types of preferences. FC members are always more than happy to answer questions about them. Good luck in your search!
Thanks, I expect I will prefer MTL given my smoking experience. Is there a vape/vapes geared toward MTL that meets my criteria?

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
+1 Tinymight
No to the Mighty

Vapcaps aren't very discreet with the need to reheat every hit and won't really introduce you to the flavor and vapor quality of convection beasts like the TM. @endof3d is right that you have to embrace longer dtl hits to appreciate convection vapes. The main MTL vape is definitely the vapcap line but it has so many idiosyncrasies it's a bit of an outlier.

A FW7 would be a good stony conduction portable with great ergos but it's hard to buy one and the FW8 is still on the way.

It's good to think of it as a process where you'll eventually buy more than one vape and focus on what you'd like to experience first.

The Roffu is still just taking its first steps but it's at least aiming at a feature set folks here on FC would value. The Xmax V3 Pro is another easy recommendation for most beginners because it manages so well for the $109 price

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks, I looked at tinymight and I like a lot about it. Obviously there’s no perfect product, but my issues with it are: need to stir, pita to take the stem in and out, & the glass stem looks like drug paraphernalia in my mind. Not at all out of the running, but I feel like I’m not convinced about it.

You do not need to stir, that depends how you use it, also glass stems in my mind have way more benefits than drawbacks, but there are alternative stem materials...

Yeah tvape is trash company, it's not a rattling, it's a humming when you are activating the heater, that is normal and mostly inaudible unless you're right next to it as you're using it in silence... many vapes emit a noise when their heater is active.

The first link I google is loud af

I didn't click on it but there were people who were sharing it that had defects where it was louder than it should be, hard to tell with a video like this, probably overthinking it!

Thanks for the feedback on the noise and the suggestions. I’m mostly hiding from my kids (14 & 7), although I’ll probably be going in public at some point. I need to figure out for home if I will be in my basement with some kind of air purifier setup or in my back yard, but I expect this will need experimentation. Only on a 1/4 acre, so not sure how vape smell carries vs smoking. Size and appearance are what I’m concerned about. The original ones I mentioned were appealing cause they look like any sort of generic tech.

The noise is not going to be a concern hiding from family at all, that would only be maybe if you were like using a bubbler making more noise with it? Which you might want to... You probably don't need an air purifier in your basement unless you're really hiding it for some reason? It is not at all like smoke, the smell dissipates very quickly especially with an on demand pure convection vape, the thing that will smell the most is the weed. Outside there is no concern at all... And if you're looking for generic tech, I mean they don't look generic per se, roffu really does look like a vape to me maybe mp3 player X-Max V3 pro could be a vibrator haha? There is so much variety in styles and appearance but those generic electronics style are a dime a dozen.

The stem is not too tight, it is not hard to remove and insert the stem, and it loosens up over time, you can even unscrew a little to loosen it up further, and many of us do not need to stir at all, it depends how you use it. I only remove the stem when I am loading and unloading...

You might be a DV person then, there are many of them, there are also many who would never lol

I was off on the mighty+ due to size, non-removeable battery, and micro-usb ( though I realize the gts & TM are both micro, so I can live with it). Is the quality produced by the mighty+ so far and away above any other portable as some claim?

No, the mighty is just simple, and mainstream, constantly cooking for you, with a large bowl, decent power, but like the TM is much more powerful and versatile and has more pure materials for better vapor quality and much wider temp control range, among other things like replaceable batteries and near instant on demand pure convection...

Sorry, I guess you did mention there are better options re: quality.

There are so many options!

Thanks, I expect I will prefer MTL given my smoking experience. Is there a vape/vapes geared toward MTL that meets my criteria?

Yeah that's why it sounds like DV is for you, and you might like the mighty and use for that, sounds like you don't want pure convection on demand because it is creating the vapor as you inhale deeply, can be tough for some smokers to pick up, but sometimes it feels more like smoking, it's all really relative until you try anything it's hard to know

Dommen

Thanks bossman. I know the roffu is new/mostly untested, but I assume it will be decent given the general love for the v3 pro. I will research as I’m sure there’s a ton of opinion on it, but since you like the TM and the fw7, do you have any thoughts btw the 2? Is it worth waiting for a FW7 to be available or just get a TM? And how about TM vs v3 pro?

Thanks Snacks, lots of good feedback! Do you think by going with a generic electronics looking device that I’m missing out on more quality from artisan products like TM or FW7? Also, do you mean that all pure convection operate as DTL?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks bossman. I know the roffu is new/mostly untested, but I assume it will be decent given the general love for the v3 pro.

They are quite a bit different though I am seeing, I'm not sure either is ideal if you want mouth to lung style, both being pure convection really benefit from deep long inhale hits in my experience...

I will research as I’m sure there’s a ton of opinion on it, but since you like the TM and the fw7, do you have any thoughts btw the 2? Is it worth waiting for a FW7 to be available or just get a TM? And how about TM vs v3 pro?

They are very complimentary, so you know the TM is pure convection on demand with glass stem as your chamber and vapor path, and use you hold down the button and it vibrates when you're ready to start inhaling, you let go and keep inhaling to clear your hit... In the FW7, it is a hybrid with more conduction, but still on demand, you load a ceramic oven chamber (you will want to use a more fine grind and pack it, as compared to pure convection loading, but you also don't want to load it more than 3/4 full really and it works great with less!) Then though the usage style is similar, with FW7 stock setup glass stem as part of vapor path or WPA set up to have more glass in the vapor path more direct, with the stock set up there is more ceramic the vapor path too with a right angle bend before it gets to the glass stem (right angle bends are fantastic for cooling btw) in use, it is similar in that you press and hold the button, it will vibrate when it is ready at temperature, however you begin to slow sip inhale and then increase your speed, it creates the vapor for you a bit but you get more vapor if you inhale deeper, being hybrid heating. What's also nice with the FW7, when you let go, after a few seconds there will be another vibration, tell you that it is cooling down, you still keep hitting it to clear all the vapor though like you would with the TM, it is just nice you get that secondary vibration feedback. It also has a full temperature range, but not with a dial like the TM, you have to set up three preset temperatures, but they are easy to switch anytime if you want, once you learn how to use the one button with the instructions. I keep mine set pretty low though, I generally like to temp step, with the FW7 I milk low then go medium then go high to finish, also depending what glass pieces I am using with it if there is water, with the TM dry I am usually starting as low as possible on the dial and moving it a tiny bit up after each hit, finishing around below level 6, unless I am going for a quick rip through water or something I will start higher like level 5 for just a couple hits to kill it... The v3pro is sort of different, read the thread since it is short, to see how exactly it functions, it has some similar features with the TM like being able to do session and on demand but it's different because you're loading a metal bowl within the vape instead of the glass stem separate, so there is a bit more conduction effect from radiant heating if you are using the session mode for example? It also vibrates, takes a little bit longer to heat up though potentially, has a wide temperature range, and some versatility with WPA and other mouthpieces, it's standard mouthpiece cooling unit is pretty effective though, the vapor quality the flavor and the density is not on the level of the TM or FW, but it definitely gets me where I need to go!

FW7 you can still find if you are active on reddit ent exchange, they get posted their regularly, but they are not cheap, he is going to be releasing the FW8 soon, but it will probably be even more difficult to obtain... It will probably be a more polished version of the FW7, I don't really have issues with mine, but some people know the flaws in the FW7 and have had more trouble if you see in the thread, but that is not unlike the TM where there are people who had trouble, even the X-Max some people had troubles! So yeah that's why it's always good to have two vapes anyway...

Thanks Snacks, lots of good feedback! Do you think by going with a generic electronics looking device that I’m missing out on more quality from artisan products like TM or FW7?

In my opinion yes, TM and FW7 are my overall favorites by far, very polished experience for an artisan product in my experience, but the mass produced products are improving as you see with the v3pro and Roffu, it's not like the old session conduction cheap Chinese vapes there were when I got started, they were new then, but now we are finally seeing real innovation with those... But the vapor quality just cannot compare largely based on the materials and build? And for what it's worth, Tafée Bowle is a pretty great mass produced style industrial design device, despite the flaws, but yeah I don't think it's vapor quality compares to TM or FW7 either personally (would not be my suggestion for flavor chasing at all, but it has very nice dry hits, with the built-in right ankles, it is like a j-hook vape, but I wish there was WPA options for more versatility)

Have you looked into the Arizer portables? They are more of the session conduction style, but using glass stems for a bit of hybrid convection, and the new Air Max seems to be the best of the bunch... I would sooner get that than the Mighty for sure, and you may actually prefer it to the xmax or roffu honestly? It is still a great place to start your vapor journey! But it does smell a bit more unused with the constant cooking creating the vapor for you, but you can control that, I think there is more control with Air than Mighty at least...

Top Bottom