Remember: Sundays Is Glass Cleaning Day!

2clicker

Observer
Pappy said:
Salt is a harmless abrasive or salt eats glass... Which is it?

im not sure about this, but i dont ever use salt. ive never had any of my vapor glass need anything more than just ISO and a good shake.

if i had to guess though id say its a harmless abrasive. at least when using borosillicate (pyrex or schott) glass that is. im not sure why, but i find it hard to believe that table salt would eat pyrex glass. isnt salt stored in pyrex sometimes?

i wouldnt worry about it.

2clicker,

Pappy

shmaporist
2clicker said:
Pappy said:
Salt is a harmless abrasive or salt eats glass... Which is it?

im not sure about this, but i dont ever use salt. ive never had any of my vapor glass need anything more than just ISO and a good shake.

if i had to guess though id say its a harmless abrasive. at least when using borosillicate (pyrex or schott) glass that is. im not sure why, but i find it hard to believe that table salt would eat pyrex glass. isnt salt stored in pyrex sometimes?

i wouldnt worry about it.
Since moving to a Simple Green bath proceeding the ISO 91 bath I've deleted salt from the final water soak. Did I just write that? :o

Pappy,

smokeberry

Hi all. Don't laugh to much.. I've been using denture tablets to clean my glass for a good while now and reckon there as good as anything else. They make my little ehle sparkle for sure. For anybody unsure what I'm going on about, denture tablets (Sterident is the leading brand in the UK however I use Morrisons own!) are a large minty tablet that can be drop in cup with a set of false nashers to remove the stains and food particles. Rancid.

Few tips - I remove my down stem and shove a little blob of blue tack in the hole to create a seal then fill with warm water, drop a tablet in leave and 20 mins (overnight if particularly bad) and give it a quick rub down with a bottle cleaner. After approx. two rinses the minty freshness has completely dispersed and no residue, scent or flavour of any kind is left behind. The extra strong variety of tablet works the best. Not sure how well this would work with more complicated glass pieces but they can do no harm at all.

I'm sure a few of you old boys will have cupboards full of these :lol:

smokeberry,

Pappy

shmaporist
:D
20101020-gdr19krpqks2516ibwk3i7ii6b.jpg

Pappy,

DaProfessor

smokeberry said:
Hi all. Don't laugh to much.. I've been using denture tablets to clean my glass

I completely agree with smokeberry on this. I've been hunting for the best ways to clean and keep glass clean since I started. Especially mineral deposits. I've been through at least a dozen different chemicals/solutions and different mechanical methods. Overnight denture cleaning tablets have been the absolute best way to prevent stains and deposits. It will also remove recently deposited mineral stains. I just break-up and distribute a tablet through each setup every day or two and let it sit overnight. Next day I just do a quick water/iso rinse and let it dry.

Still haven't found a way to treat older stains. Going to get my hands on some 12M HCL and see what it an do :uhoh:

DaProfessor,

SmokingElectricity

i soak my glass pieces in hot water, dawn dish soap and a touch of bleach for an hour then rinse well. if your only using your glass to vape, there is no need to spend money on expensive cleaners.

SmokingElectricity,

Carbon

I just cleaned my pipe quickly a couple days ago but had issues getting off what seems like hard water deposit from months of use. I think it was the crappy ice we were using down in LA. Any tips for getting this off? Toothbrush with alcohol didn't work too well and I really want to get rid of these nasty stains.

Carbon,

Pappy

shmaporist
Carbon said:
I just cleaned my pipe quickly a couple days ago but had issues getting off what seems like hard water deposit from months of use. I think it was the crappy ice we were using down in LA. Any tips for getting this off? Toothbrush with alcohol didn't work too well and I really want to get rid of these nasty stains.
Did one of my friends put you up to this? Tell me about the crappy water in L.A. -- I filter mine and it sucks! :lol: Try soaking then washing with Simple Green. Then ISO + Salt -- preferably Kosher or Sea Salt.

Pappy,

Carbon

Pappy said:
Carbon said:
Did one of my friends put you up to this? Tell me about the crappy water in L.A. -- I filter mine and it sucks! :lol: Try soaking then washing with Simple Green. Then ISO + Salt -- preferably Kosher or Sea Salt.
I'm soaking in alcohol right now to see if that works. I feel as though even if alcohol is a viable solution to clean that stuff off, it needs some elbow grease. I can't get the toothbrush far enough down by the ice pinches as my pipe is too tall (or toothbrush too short). Should I be trying to get a bong brush or something? I still don't know if that would help with the ice pinch area where the buildup is worst. It just seems at minimum I need something to physically clean the deposits away as I don't believe soaking will make it just dissolve off. I guess we'll see as I've plugged the front of the pipe and filled it up almost to the brim with alcohol and a bit of water at the bottom.

Carbon,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i feel left out ... the Bud Toaster glassware just doesn't get dirty enough to clean every week.

Here is the direct draw stem after about 100 sessions (each session is 7.5 minutes of vaping):

picture.php
picture.php

sometimes i just insert the stem into the oven to vape off the collected vape oil, but it's not very effective, so i just clean with a rolled up 1/2 of a paper towel:

picture.php

If the end if particularly gunky, i drop it into the oven for a few moments to heat and soften the gunk:

picture.php

i make sure the holes are clear with a toothpick:

picture.php

And the tube is sparkly clean and clear:

picture.php

picture.php

This is the bud vial after hundreds of sessions ... i just don't bother to clean it at all:

picture.php

Hippie Dickie,

Pappy

shmaporist
Carbon said:
I'm soaking in alcohol right now to see if that works.
Don't soak. Drop in a little salt, some ISO, and SHAKE (violently) for 30 seconds! Rinse with hot water and repeat if necessary. If you want to show it to you in-laws doll it it with a Simple Green bath. ;)

Pappy,

reloader

I cant believe some of the chemicals you guys use to keep your glass clean, and bleach... Yikes!
I just use hot water with dish soap, I soak the wand for about 2 or 3 minutes, and clean with a wooden skewer so I don't scratch any glass, rinse, dry done. Comes out perfectly clean.

reloader,

OO

Technical Skeptical
reloader said:
I cant believe some of the chemicals you guys use to keep your glass clean, and bleach... Yikes!
I just use hot water with dish soap, I soak the wand for about 2 or 3 minutes, and clean with a wooden skewer so I don't scratch any glass, rinse, dry done. Comes out perfectly clean.
what's wrong with using bleach?

OO,

2clicker

Observer
OO said:
reloader said:

and ISO...?

2clicker,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
reloader said:

I'll use iso, but never simple green or bleach. I don't need that crap to clean a bong that's been combusted out of, this is only vapor and personally most chemicals are a tad bit overkill for cleaning. Plus that shit can't be too cheap?

How long do you guys wait to clean? I clean my bong maybe once a month and use it 50% of the time I'm vaping and all it takes it some iso and a tad of salt to clean the gunk stuck to the bottom. Once or twice and it's perfect.

aesthyrian,

hereatlast

I do an ISO clean every other day. No salt and no other chemicals. Quick ISO rinse, warm water rinse, then some nice cold Brita ;)

hereatlast,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
if you keep up on it I'm sure ISO is all you'll ever need. Maybe I should not be so lazy.. :lol:

aesthyrian,

Pappy

shmaporist
I rinse my bong after each use and clean with ISO and Kosher salt at least once daily. Clean my DBV and EQV glass/screens about every 4 days.

Pappy,

2clicker

Observer
i also have been giving my glass a hot rinse everyday

and since we are only talking vapor id say its gets ISO once a month

dont really need much else

2clicker,

Pappy

shmaporist
I don't know if it's my herb -- OG strains -- but a sticky residue forms above the water line in my bong, and on the downstem, after each use. That's why I ISO every day.

Pappy,

reloader

2clicker said:
OO said:
reloader said:

and ISO...?
I guess nothing, it just seems unnecessary to use strong chemicals when you don't have to. I would be concerned about chemical residue if not rinsed carefully.

reloader,

2clicker

Observer
reloader said:
2clicker said:
OO said:

and ISO...?
I guess nothing, it just seems unnecessary to use strong chemicals when you don't have to. I would be concerned about chemical residue if not rinsed carefully.

honestly ive never used simple green or bleach, but just wondered why you thought that about ISO

hot water is usually all i need, but after some time my glass def needs more than just hot water

ive been considering just using some liquid dish soap with the hot water and then giving it a good rinse after

2clicker,
Top Bottom