• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Remember: Sundays Is Glass Cleaning Day!

Pappy

shmaporist
stonemonkey55 said:
I clean after every other day of usage... I like my glass looking so fresh and so clean, clean
Would expect no less, SM55. ;)

Pappy,

hereatlast

Just out of curiosity, are the dedicated glass cleaners worth the cost if/when you're just vaping? IME, vapor build-up on glass usually means a LOT of vapor has passed over it. I've gone periods of just hot water rinses (after every use) and my glass would still be sparkling for quite a while. Even back when I combusted I only used ISO&salt (LOTS of it :o).

For whatever its worth:
-ISO isn't cheap for everyone. In some countries it seems it's absurdly expensive, here we can get it at a great price.
-91% ISO is overkill IMO (IF you're paying extra for it) unless your evaporating the remnants.

hereatlast,

NorCalSivart

I like using grunge off because it is reusable so it lasts forever for my pieces when I only vape through them.

NorCalSivart,

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
getvaked said:
Pappy said:
getvaked said:
Is it better than ISO and Salt?

IMO, yes. using ISO a lot can get spendy and a bottle of simple green like the one pictured is ~6 bucks at wal mart. it's completely harmless and biodegradable and come's in concentrate form. and it's reusable. here's a pretty good before/after pic of using simple green from this thread:
http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/435071-simple-green-grunge-off-way-cheaper-pics-inside.html

Before:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7051/dirtyk.jpg

After:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5061/img1837e.jpg

Thats a cool looking bong vaked! :peace:

tonuzzi,

Pappy

shmaporist
My glass cleaning assembly line > Simple Green (left) - ISO 91 (right) Salt Water bath
20100914-b938c4qm6p11xcdpp2yydqgu1r.jpg

Pappy,

PerseusStoned

Incredible. I've been gone from this forum for roughly 8 months now, started vaping about a year ago. The only time I've cleaned my vapes (glass components) since then was this 29th of August.

Great minds think a like I think.

PerseusStoned,

wolf torn

I just had a weird smudge on my new glass and busted out the salt and ISO

keep it clean

wolf torn,

aero18

vaporist
I love Grunge Off but hate the smell of it. For those who say that it leaves no residues, I have to disagree. It is sometimes hard to completely get out the cleaner and that horrid smell (I hate the smell of it!).

aero18,

2clicker

Observer
aero18 said:
For those who say that it leaves no residues, I have to disagree. It is sometimes hard to completely get out the cleaner and that horrid smell (I hate the smell of it!).

agreed

ive had issues with it in the past

2clicker,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I would definitely NOT use Simple Green to clean anything you want to vape or smoke out of. It's marketed as "green, clean and safe" but it's not, it's full of of horrible chemicals like any other shit cleaner. Bio Green Clean is the only 100% all natural plant extracted cleaner I know of but that is just too expensive for this use. Hot water, salt and iso is still much better than simple green IMO.

aesthyrian,

getvaked

those saying it leaves taste....youre not soaking it enough. never had problems with simple green. save that iso for QWISO ;)

getvaked,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Yeah i don't know if your rinsing enough if you have a taste left over. I do a 2 hr soak every week followed by a 2-3 min straight hot water rinse then a 5 min straight cold water rinse. The key is to ALWAYS use cold water last because they're are less deposits, some people even use filtered/bottled water for the last rinse. I always fill mine with bottled water after their clean just to make sure there aren't any water spots. I've never had any left over taste or water spots using This method nor have I ever had a problem with GO. I still keep a bottle of iso around for reclaiming and electronics cleaning. I won't ever use salt again though...

How long were you rinsing for???

minnesnowta,

Pappy

shmaporist
minnesnowta said:
I still keep a bottle of iso around for reclaiming and electronics cleaning. I won't ever use salt again though...
A glass person recently told me salt eats glass and causes abrasions. In search of the perfect method.

Pappy,

hereatlast

I haven't really had the need for salt since my glass has been vapor only, does salt damage though?

hereatlast,

Pappy

shmaporist
hereatlast said:
I haven't really had the need for salt since my glass has been vapor only, does salt damage though?
Holly @ Mike's Smoke Shop in Hollywood (bong mecca) advised me salt eats glass... Which may explain the white hairline scratches in my DBV wand I can't seem to get rid of? Or perhaps I scraped it too hard with my pokey stick while reclaiming wand hash? :D I defer to anyone who knows more.

Pappy,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Bingo boys!! It cause microscopic scratches. Pretty much all glass blowers will advise against using salt for that reason. Most of the time those scratches can't be removed and will get worse if you keep using salt. I've heard of a couple of cases that the piece was able to be re-kilned and it helps but most people don't have access to one. Abrasives + glass are generally a bad idea though. Try and stay away if you can.

minnesnowta,

hereatlast

Interesting, like I said I haven't found the need since vapor only but I used to ISO+SALT every other day when I was smoking. That said, I didn't get into high-end glass until vapor anyways.

BTW, I love a clean piece of glass but my current DD (Sheldon Black bub with Luke Wilson 6-arm downstem) works so much better a little dirty, the bubbles stack a couple layers higher when the water is dirty.

hereatlast,

DaProfessor

Little tip: bottled water still has minerals in it that may deposit on your glass over time. Without the minerals, it wouldn't taste very "watery" :lol: Steam distilled is probably the best water to use for a final rinse. I use 91% iso for my final 2 rinses to displace most of the water and allows for quick drying. Just like good 'ol organic chem cleaning protocols - acetone/water/acetone :D

DaProfessor,

2clicker

Observer
i just bought rubber stoppers for all my glass. i had to buy a big one for the left coast beaker opening. :lol:

http://www.widgetco.com/rubber-stoppers

this way i can plug the glass and fill it to desired level instead of having to soak the entire glass piece. this allows for much less use of ISO which in turn speeds up any evap time when reclaiming. plus you wont be getting all the oils and whatever ever else is on the outside of your glass if your reclaiming. these plugs make cleaning my DBV wands a snap and i use very little ISO... like a tablespoon if that. i use them to plug my beaker when not in use also. cheap and effective.

2clicker,

Pappy

shmaporist
2clicker said:
i just bought rubber stoppers for all my glass. i had to buy a big one for the left coast beaker opening. :lol:

http://www.widgetco.com/rubber-stoppers

this way i can plug the glass and fill it to desired level instead of having to soak the entire glass piece. this allows for much less use of ISO which in turn speeds up any evap time when reclaiming. plus you wont be getting all the oils and whatever ever else is on the outside of your glass if your reclaiming. these plugs make cleaning my DBV wands a snap and i use very little ISO... like a tablespoon if that. i use them to plug my beaker when not in use also. cheap and effective.
I like that! Great tip. FWIW I stopped by Iadelphia Glass on Melrose Avenue (what a nice shop!) and had a chat with the proprietor. I asked him about cleaning glass and he replied with 2 words -- "rubbing alcohol". I inquired if salt is bad for glass and he said "no". It's an abrasive. Now two experts have given me differing opinions.

Salt is a harmless abrasive or salt eats glass... Which is it?

Pappy,
Top Bottom