Recent Acquisitions - Post Your New Pieces Here

S1N3

Tarzan @ KloudSociety
uLHda.jpg

good choice

S1N3,

StrainToGain

Yeah, they can be a bit pricey sometimes but the whole handmade thing is what gets me. It looks great and smokes great so hopefully I don't break it and have to drop that money again :)

The downtube and bowl both came with the bong. It's a standard RooR 14.5mm downtube.

StrainToGain,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
My 250ml Ehle is the same thickness (3,2mm) and it's surprisingly strong. I dropped it on a hardwood floor once and I banged it in to hard objects a couple of times but it doesn't even have a scratch on it while I thought I'd killed it on every single one of those occasions. Before I bought it I really wanted a 5mm thick one at least, but in hindsight there doesn't seem to be e need for it, not so far at least *knocks on wood*

So you should be good, plus these bongs can usually be repaired when broken.

I do recommend upgrading to a diffused downstem once the newness wears off, they make the bong even more enjoyable to use and are really worth the money imo.

OhTheAgony,

ApathyGlass

glassblower
StrainToGain said:
Yeah, they can be a bit pricey sometimes but the whole handmade thing is what gets me. It looks great and smokes great so hopefully I don't break it and have to drop that money again :)

The downtube and bowl both came with the bong. It's a standard RooR 14.5mm downtube.

how do you think all of the other bongs in the world are made? :uhoh:

ApathyGlass,

Nycdeisel

I agree with OTA, Roor is definitely high quality and all, however nowadays there are many pieces that could rival a similar tube in the same price range. I would say mostly American glass, but Ehle is a good exception. Enjoy your new piece~! and I second the suggestion for a nice diffused downstem.

Nycdeisel,

StrainToGain

@OhTheAgony and Nycdeisel, I do like Ehle's but I've just got a certain loyalty to RooR's. You are right, there are many that you can get around a similar price. I just like the fact these guys have been doing it for years and still maintain such high-quality. I also like the fact their designs aren't over the top. I guess it's the old school nature in me to stay loyal to a classic brand. Thanks for the tip on the diffused downstem, I'll definitely try that.

@ApathyGlass well, I know for a fact that a lot of glass bongs are factory made in China so yes a handmade bong from one of the innovators in the industry with individually marked signatures on the glass does appeal to me.

StrainToGain,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Damn you *shakes fist*

I was perfectly happy with my affordable, simple tube & diffused downstem until I saw that video. Now I want one too :(

I always wonder how you keep those more complicated pieces clean though. I mean, I read how to and tried the alcohol thingie with the rock salt, but it just doesn't seem as effective and quick as with a brush, hot boiled water & soap (I use Schmand Weg, great stuff) like I do now. I clean my Ehle every day and i wouldn't want it to be a lot more work than it is with this one tbh. This has kept me from buying something nicer several times now actually. Don't you get any resin (or worse) build up in the tighter spots in something like that, and do you spend a lot of time cleaning it?

OhTheAgony,

ApathyGlass

glassblower
StrainToGain said:
@ApathyGlass well, I know for a fact that a lot of glass bongs are factory made in China so yes a handmade bong from one of the innovators in the industry with individually marked signatures on the glass does appeal to me.

but a tube made in a factory in china is just as handmade as a tube made in a factory in germany dude. Lathework is lathework, there is no bong machine.

I agree that a (german) roor is probably better than whats coming out of the chineese factory, but they both were "made by hand".

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
OhTheAgony said:
Damn you *shakes fist*

I was perfectly happy with my affordable, simple tube & diffused downstem until I saw that video. Now I want one too :(

I always wonder how you keep those more complicated pieces clean though. I mean, I read how to and tried the alcohol thingie with the rock salt, but it just doesn't seem as effective and quick as with a brush, hot boiled water & soap (I use Schmand Weg, great stuff) like I do now. I clean my Ehle every day and i wouldn't want it to be a lot more work than it is with this one tbh. This has kept me from buying something nicer several times now actually. Don't you get any resin (or worse) build up in the tighter spots in something like that, and do you spend a lot of time cleaning it?

Either straight ISO or I use Forumla 420 Soak n Rinse. Place a GonG stopper in the external stem to plug it up, dump the cleaning solution in and let it sit. Dump the cleaning liquid into a storage container (I've got a couple of litres of cleaning fluid that I keep in a storage shed and ONLY use it for cleaning pieces). This is about once a week per piece. All get a good water rinse after every use though.

I get horrible resin build up on the GonG part of the slide/bowl. Soaking clears it up.

That having been said, I find stemless piece like the Syn shower head are much easier to clean than pieces with downstems. When I clear the tube, I pull the bowl out of the fixed stem; when clearing a downstemmed piece I frequently pull the downstem out as well :lol:

Tom

tdavie,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It doesn't have anything to do with glass perhaps, but there is a Bong Bong machine:

bong bong

Also, this guy Bong is kind of a machine:

Bong

K, I'm done now :p

OhTheAgony,

Bouldorado

I got a carbon filter for it so that keeps out all the ash and a lot of the resin. I don't use the dome with the carbon filter so it gets pretty dirty with hash resin. iso + salt, as tdavie said, works really well. if its not as dirty I'll squirt some jet dry into the tube and fill it with boiling water. that will clean it right up, plus give it a nice shine.

Bouldorado,

StrainToGain

@Apathyglass I accept that glass bongs coming from a factory will have a certain element of human hand to its production. However, the difference is that these bongs are all run on a production line with several people working on certain parts and rely on a few parts being done by a machine. Whereas RooR will have one craftsman working on the bong from start to finish. Have a look at the video below to see what I mean. For me, there's a massive difference in the manufacturing and that's the point I'm trying to drive home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXzkpX1N0U

StrainToGain,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Nice piece !

Enjoy your new glass........ there are many Roor fans and followers who also do.

smokum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Wait what, you guys smoke through these things? :o

Didn't expect that on this forum, lol

I usually soak mine in hot boiled water & soap for a few minutes, before I take my collection of different size brushes to them. Most of the resin is off by then but there are a few places it sometimes sticks to. Couldn't clean it just once a week though, mine looks like ass after an evening of use imo. I sometimes skip a day and just rinse it out if I get home late and just want to vape a bowl before going to bed, but that's as far as I will go. If I don't clean it every day it's hard for me to see the vapor in late-evening-lighting, and I kinda need to see when it starts milking with my Vapo Bowl to avoid combustion. But there's also nothing like the taste of a clean piece imo.

Will have to think this through some more me thinks.

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: MrNorml

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
OhTheAgony said:

I use a bong rip. That gets me medicated quicker than anything else. I then use the EQ to 'maintain'.

Tom

tdavie,

Bouldorado

OhTheAgony said:

haha yeah. mine gets used for combustion and for oil. I tried vape-bonging with it and it wasn't that great. doesn't really matter though, because I have an EQ and IMO bags are exponentially better than running that same vape through a bong.

Bouldorado,

Smokey

Cloud Master
Always been a huge RooR fan :D I had the Icemaster 5" and a little sistah...both unfortunately died because of lack of luck....thee heee, during these years though, I became more practical with using glass, so it lasts longer before it accidentally breaks...I definitely love the purity of glass and will use it for the years to come, but I must admit it's not for everyone, and it can get quite expensive...I'll never forget the first time I crashed a bong, that's for sure.
I agree on the diffuser, I got it and it worked like a charm. Rite now I replaced my died roors with the herborizer glass Sphere, and I'm quite happy with it, no problems so far, and in a couple of occasions it demonstrated itself quite strong.

Smokey,
G

I got an icemaster over the summer which is still going strong after many cleanings, a few (light) bumps, and god knows how many bowls. generally I buy a new bong every year Usually from everyonedoesit if online or one of our local head shops (I'm canadian). On balance I trust the thebongblog com /2011/07/roor-bongs-the-complete-review/ [unlinked] bong reviews from this site thought it hasn't really been active lately.

This is my first Roor and i've been really happy with it but it maybe a little over priced but i just liken it to an apple product of which i own a few.

Guest,

Bouldorado

Last week I tipped the syn over on carpet with the carbon catcher in it. The fall shattered the cc and fucked the external stem; 120 to repair at a lhs. makes this tube pretty pricey now; $420, which is almost what they had it stickered at

P1000608.JPG

Bouldorado,
Reactions: ogcook

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I cringed when I got that forum email :( Sorry to hear that.

Sadly I've learnt that broken glass comes with using glass; for me at least.

The casualty list since April this year;

-Beaker of my first bong broke ~ 1 month after purchase.
-Handle of a beautiful diamond cut type bowl broke when I was clearing a bong (the bowl flew out of my hand and hit the wall). Bowl still works, but can cut :)
-Sat on my EQ and broke all the glass (had spares for everything, and it still works ).
-6 arm removeable top ashcatcher had one arm break. It works, but chugs unevenly and I've sorta retired it.
-8 arm fixed top ashcatcher disintegrated first time I used it. I cleared a bong, the ashcatcher was 'stuck' to the downstem, it smacked into a wall and glass everywhere.
-This last one hurt. Bad. I had a 2 foot tall, 9mm thick, double 12 arm tree perc w/ice pinch, splash guard and honeycomb downstem. My small terrier got freaked out over something, jumped up and knocked it over. The percs broke, but the body was intact.

A relative of mine says it's a 'glass curse'.

I'm going to buy a china cabinet in a few weeks (the display type with closeable doors). Everything is going to be stored in there until used.

Sigh....

Tom

tdavie,

aero18

vaporist
Why do you use such a large tube for oil? Oil rigs are typically small with low filtration, to preserve the flavor of the oil and to lessen the condensation of the oil (reclaim). And ice in an oil rig! :lol:

aero18,
Top Bottom