Random thoughts

ChooChooCharlie

The hidden heartbreak of outdoor dining
parking-spaces-dining.jpg

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
^Ha, tell that to my 16 yo daughter, and her budding vinyl collection (that was mostly once mine) as she thinks nothing of cranking select tracks off Neutral Milk Hotel's 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' at high volume at 4AM on my (also) bequeathed Bang & Olufson... 😡

shredder

As a former cig smoker with over 25 years cig-free, it surely is a wake-up call viewing pack prices in what I've saved. When I smoked, cartons cost $2 at the PX. $18/carton at Oregon Costco. Yeah, I'm old as fuck.
715b03cf467079e9553540a0c6d308d7e95e64da4a0b377155fa1d8a7a2acbf4.jpg

I quit in 1974 after a pack went from $.35 to $.50. My main motivation was my father who in 1974 had one third of his right lung removed because of lung cancer. I smoked joints like cigarettes to get me through it, lol

ChooChooCharlie

Saw this Astin Martin on walk tonight, nice grill
DB11-toothless.jpg

Following is for art fans:
I caved and scored a Dali etching
Bought it from the girl in photos
Dali-and-Christine.jpg

Was tempted by the one I posted on prior page, but chose "L'Incantation" from 1960. Here's vid of her father, art publisher Argillet, describing the piece, around 5 min mark. Cool to hear about Dali's strange symbols, don't usually get such detailed descriptions of surrealist art

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Is Tik Tok addicting?

I don't have the app but I occasionally get sent a Tik Tok video. Right after watching the video another video cues up and I'm seriously tempted to watch it but I don't.

I'm noticing new Tik Tok app users in my family falling into the Tik Tok rabbit hole for hours. In many cases its almost like they're hypnotized. Watching TV and a commercial comes on....Tik Tok, listening to the news and switching news stories.....Tik Tok.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying this addiction, if that's what it is, is a serious problem. Just noticed that some folks are watching these things for hours.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Is Tik Tok addicting?

I don't have the app but I occasionally get sent a Tik Tok video. Right after watching the video another video cues up and I'm seriously tempted to watch it but I don't.

I'm noticing new Tik Tok app users in my family falling into the Tik Tok rabbit hole for hours. In many cases its almost like they're hypnotized. Watching TV and a commercial comes on....Tik Tok, listening to the news and switching news stories.....Tik Tok.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying this addiction, if that's what it is, is a serious problem. Just noticed that some folks are watching these things for hours.

Supposedly they have the BEST (forgetting the actual term) recognition software out of any social media app by a long shot.

I could easily see an argument for being addictive. If you're holding something in your hand that continuously shows you new content that you want to see, you may not even know you want to see it until you do... but your brain is just being endlessly satisfied and interested... why would your brain say enough and time to do something else?

I refuse to use the app too but sometimes I am sent a tik tok via text or something, I will watch.

10/10 times the follow up video has half naked women in it. Those fucks really know how to suck me in.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I would say so yes, these apps are engineered this way!! Because you know,. ad revenue!

This is an interesting take on 'outrage', I have fallen for this too many times, those little buttons being pressed - the good news is that eventually, if you pay attention to yourself, your habits and your trigger points, you eventually recognise it for what it is and a strange calm and ability to argue without losing your rag can be a, I would say, quite positive outcome... if you don't well, I don't think any good comes of it, the only winners are the shareholders!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Just a little note to say that the welcome I have received here has been amazing, what a great community of lovely people :love:

Also, just a hat tip to the mods who are doing an excellent job - often these things go unappreciated so here's a big thank you :tup:

Thank U GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom