Random thoughts

florduh

Climate is so fucked up that computer models are having a hard time estimating extreme weather conditions, they are missing them very frequently.

Summer isn't the only season that's fucked either. Buffalo keeps getting slammed by ridiculous amounts of snow because Lake Erie rarely freezes at all anymore. So they get way more lake effect snow. Then there's this:

polar-vortex-720x400.jpg

Higher global temps literally breaks polar weather out from the arctic. It's like we're summoning the fuckin White Walkers.

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

coolbreeze

Summer isn't the only season that's fucked either. Buffalo keeps getting slammed by ridiculous amounts of snow because Lake Erie rarely freezes at all anymore. So they get way more lake effect snow. Then there's this:

polar-vortex-720x400.jpg

Higher global temps literally breaks polar weather out from the arctic. It's like we're summoning the fuckin White Walkers.

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones
People are worried about the oceans lapping up to their doorstep but soon there will be growing regions of the world where the human body can no longer cool itself. So much labor will be undoable... It will drive people away from the equator and into other lands where they will not be welcome. Weather-event and other disruptions to agriculture will be huge as well. It's not the shadow of nuclear holocaust that I grew up with, but as civilization-ending terrors go, it'll do.

florduh

People are worried about the oceans lapping up to their doorstep but soon there will be growing regions of the world where the human body can no longer cool itself.

Yeah, I don't know what the plan is for Florida. The entire State's economy depends on tourism. Gonna be a whole lot less of that once people can't be outside during daylight hours for half the year. Seems like a bigger problem for the State government to focus on than drag queens, but what do I know :shrug:?

It's not the shadow of nuclear holocaust that I grew up with, but as civilization-ending terrors go, it'll do.

If it makes you feel any better, we're also at a higher risk of getting nuked by Russia today than at any point during your childhood. Say what you want about the Soviets, but they had an actual government with some degree of checks and balances. Today, Russia is run by a single insane asshole with a history of making crazy decisions.

Although nuclear winter would solve that whole climate change problem. Praise Atom!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.

florduh

Remembering Februrary, 4 years ago. The Chiefs just beat the Niners in the Super Bowl (that's what they called the PsyOp Bowl in those days). I had never once worn a surgical mask. And it looked like the United States had a future.

GFoN1NTaMAAU405

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The credibility of the Supreme Court in this country is crucial to the way we operate as a nation. We have to find a way to fix the court and get its credibility back. At the very least, Clarence Thomas must go. But that would only be the first step in trying to recover the court.

cybrguy,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The credibility of the Supreme Court in this country is crucial to the way we operate as a nation. We have to find a way to fix the court and get its credibility back. At the very least, Clarence Thomas must go. But that would only be the first step in trying to recover the court.
I think you have to work pretty hard to find a time when the Supreme Court didn't suck. There are a few times. I like the Warren court. Although reactions to that basically gave birth to Fed Soc and the modern conservative network, which will eventually kill us all. Reactionaries had to build an entire apparatus to launder their extremely unpopular and noxious ideas.

Of course the current court is a super charged right wing machine, hell bent on doing as much damage as quickly as possible.

So I think the Supreme Court continues to suck and should mostly be ignored by legislators and executives until it is packed with dozens of justices.

Last edited:

florduh

The media isn’t going to do that because they made a lot more money when he was President.

Everyone was more tuned into the news because they wanted to see what insane thing he said next. Or were afraid he’d nuke Finland or something because their PM said something mean about his hair.

The only thing that matters is shareholder value and it’s in the best interest of news company shareholders for the crazy guy to be President again :shrug:.

Also Trump is one mf who absolutely thinks he just fell out of a coconut tree:disgust:.

florduh,
  • Sad
Reactions: cybrguy

Radwin Bodnic

The only thing that matters is shareholder value and it’s in the best interest of news company shareholders for the crazy guy to be President again :shrug:.
Climate change and upcoming crisis will soon make holding shares totally useless regarding comfort of life or personal security. (That's what money is made for right ?)

I know you're right, but I find it excruciating. I struggle to believe just how fucked up we are at this point in history. And I worry that there may be no way back...
I don't think we should look for a way back.
We are living in either pre-revolutionary times or pre-dictatorship times (and maybe both, not in this specific order though).
Sure, both options induce anxiety and both are going to be violent. But we need a radical change in the global order and it won't move unless extremely pressurized.

florduh

Climate change and upcoming crisis will soon make holding shares totally useless regarding comfort of life or personal security. (That's what money is made for right ?)

Correct. But capitalism precludes long term thinking. You need to realize a greater profit next quarter. Who cares if it kills us all in a few decades.

It's like the whole AI craze. Billionaires salivate over replacing labor with AI and robots. But you need laborers making a wage to buy products and services, otherwise the whole Ponzi scheme falls apart.

Sure, both options induce anxiety and both are going to be violent. But we need a radical change in the global order and it won't move unless extremely pressurized.

Something I've noticed is that most sci-fi is dystopian (even Star Wars). But in 2019 Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a near term sci-fi novel that demonstrated a (relatively) non-violent path through the challenges of climate change into an optimistic future:

kim-stanley-robinson-novel-future.jpg

Vitolo

Vaporist
421950855-776212734533111-2066331992572346443-n.jpg

GUNG HEI FAT CHOY
As the Lunar New Year begins on February 10, 2024, we move into the year of the Yang Wood Dragon.
The Dragon is one of the most auspicious signs in the Chinese zodiac because of its ability to swim, fly, walk on land, and travel between between dimensions. The dragon represents power and courage, but is also a symbol of peace and the need to come together as one.
The Year of the Dragon is said to be a prosperous year where innovation and business can flourish, and we can step into a greater power and authenticity.
Dragon energy is believed to help sharpen our intelligence, wit, and understanding of the world around us, so expect greater awakenings, ah-ha moments, and a deeper wisdom to unfold as the months progress.
The element of Wood helps to soften and slow down the energy of the Dragon.
Dragons can be quite fierce and hasty. Their anger can easily rise, leading to outbursts or leading with the ego rather than the heart.
The Wood Dragon is quietly confident and does things with order and meticulousness. The Dragon is highly innovative and confident, but the element of Wood allows the Dragon to take its time and focus on building a solid foundation.
Wood energy allows us to grow, expand, and keep our vision on track for the long term. The Season of Spring is connected to the element of Wood, so this year of the Dragon will help us to create new beginnings, plant new seeds, and allow our garden to flourish.
The energy is ripe for new beginnings and undergoing new ventures, but we have to create stability and work from the heart.
Green is connected to the element of wood and the heart-chakra, so in the year of the Dragon, we are going to be constantly reminded to come back to the heart, and to open ourselves to receiving.
Relationship themes may also come up for us under the Year of the Dragon, which is mirrored in Western Astrology this year too. We may find ourselves needing to balance our relationships with our sense of independence and authenticity. We may find ourselves asking how we can be more of our true selves even when in partnership with others and with the world at large.
The Yang quality that joins the Wood Dragon indicates decisiveness, taking action, and being firm and bold in our steps moving forward. Yang energy can be forceful, so we do need to be mindful of not pushing our way forward to get what we want.
We need to practice being calmly authoritative and respecting our boundaries and the boundaries of others.

Top Bottom