Random thoughts

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I agree....

The only thing I am going to add is try a search for "peer review broken"

All is not as they would have you believe!!

I think belief is more important than science may have you believe hehe, epigenetic is very interesting for sure 😁

Overall, as far as humanity understanding the universe and everything goes.... I think Ygritte got it right:

game of thrones you know nothing GIF

florduh

I agree....

The only thing I am going to add is try a search for "peer review broken"

All is not as they would have you believe!!

I think belief is more important than science may have you believe hehe, epigenetic is very interesting for sure 😁

Overall, as far as humanity understanding the universe and everything goes.... I think Ygritte got it right:

game of thrones you know nothing GIF

I guess I grew up reading one too many Carl Sagan books, because I'm pretty amazed at how much of the universe a bunch of dumb apes were able to figure out. But, I've done enough mushrooms to not be 100% sure about what reality is. Even so, I'm still pretty sure electrons flowing is what makes my computer work, and not tiny machine elves turning gears.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Data based metrics from past work experiences was highly valued in my career field but rarely was the time and effort to gather that historical data included in the project that produced the data. Data itself must be interpreted "scientifically" before it can become "information". So while metrics were so highly valued when available the steps necessary to gather and work with data and turn it into information wasn't pursued and decisions were/are made based on a finger in the air and your gut. Uhg....

I'm all for science skeptics and skepticism itself but when making a decision we have to base that decision on something. What's available and better than science?

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I love this, properly made me laugh because yes, that's exactly right, but it's also wrong!!!

Have a read of this, it's a random article I found that hits the right buttons, philosophy has a lot more in common with hard physics than we typically imagine, or need to know in our day to day activities:

p.s. a vastly underrated world view I take a lot of delight and pleasure in reading about is Goethe's view of nature... it's awesome, but often ridiculed and ignored... there's a book, The Wholeness of Nature: Goethe's Way of Science by Henri Bortoft, if you are interested in stuff like this it's well worth a read! Totally different to the modern western way of science and really good fun!

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I love it!!!

Are you ready for this:

Utterly baffling isn't it, two scientific presentations that couldn't be more different from each other yet both claiming to be absolutely correct!

This to me sums science up in 2021! That this post already got a laugh and a sad face is entirely appropriate!

Last edited:

florduh

I love it!!!

Are you ready for this:

I don't know if Patrick is just genuinely confused about a whole lot, or he's purposely misunderstanding to sell books and collect speaking fees. Being a contrarian is fun, but you have to make sure your head doesn't go up your own ass.

He's partially right. Co2 emissions have been helpful to the climate, to a point. Because based on natural causes alone, we should be sliding into another ice age. Instead, the mass release of Co2 is warming the atmosphere. It's preventing another ice age. But at a certain point, you can overwhelm the system and fuck up the climate.

The basics of climate change are pretty easy to understand. Co2 is absolutely a greenhouse gas. We know that for sure. That's why Venus is hotter than Mercury, despite being farther from the sun. It has a Co2 rich atmosphere that traps heat.

We know we're releasing billions of tonnes of Co2 into earth's atmosphere every month. We know a lot of that is sticking around in the air because atmospheric Co2 concentrations are higher today than they were 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. So at a certain point, that's obviously going to start warming the atmosphere.

The only debate/skepticism is around when we'll reach a point where warming starts causing draughts, famines, deadly heatwaves, sea level rise etc. Based on the behavior, not the words, of every world government, I can tell you what the global consensus is: hope for a miracle.

Basically we're all just hoping that either new energy sources are discovered, or carbon capture technology becomes feasible before we release enough co2 into the atmosphere to totally derange human civilization. Seems sort of like an insane plan to me, but what can ya do?

vapirtoo

We still use the old , "Scientific method of experimentation," to figure out most things. EH?
Electricity can be produced and measured but, no one can explain what that force really is?
Nano elves?
Kind of like gravity having no equal and opposing force.
Oh yeah curbing climate change?......that boat sailed many years before Greta got concerned.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I guess we will find out for sure in a few millennia 😁

I don't really understand enough to be able to state anything for sure, but yeah, hoping for a miracle is about as unscientific as it gets?

Burning fossil fuels isn't just about releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, despite it's ostensibly idyllic presentation, the area I live close to (thankfully far enough away from not to be affected directly by it) is one of the most heavily polluted areas in the UK. Particularly disturbing are the illegal levels of Nitrous Oxides - yikes!!!

On a more encouraging note, regreening of desert is a thing... here's a random site with a big, shhhh don't tell anyone, I mean quiet story:

florduh

I guess we will find out for sure in a few millennia 😁
We'll know way sooner than that. Despite climate change skeptics claiming their ideas are being marginalized and "cancelled", humanity is 100% going forward with their plan. Do nothing, hope for the best. Or at least pray the worst happens after you're dead. They won.
Burning fossil fuels isn't just about releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, despite it's ostensibly idyllic presentation, the area I live close to (thankfully far enough away from not to be affected directly by it) is one of the most heavily polluted areas in the UK. Particularly disturbing are the illegal levels of Nitrous Oxides - yikes!!!
For sure. There were good reasons to move away from fossil fuels that have nothing to do with climate change. Dirty air maims and kills.

betterworldfornothing.jpg

kel

FuckMisogynists!
In any good quality double-blind clinical trial, there should always be a control group, how about rather than attacking, mocking, ridiculing and otherwise bullying the anti-vaxxers, and the other people who for whatever reason can't take it, we THANK them for their sacrifice in the name of science?

I wonder if the people administering the vaccine have included a placebo, so some people who *think* they are vaccinated are actually not?

There was that conspiracy theory that the vaccine was just saline... 🤔

kel,
Reactions: BrianTL

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I think half of what I write here gets taken in a myriad of unintended ways - just like the news really 😂

I am glad some get my sense of humour though!

Joking aside, whatever anyone decides, we are all in the middle of one of the, if not the, largest experiments ever conducted on humanity!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
The only question left is whether it is A or simply B... I am quite undecided 🤔

I suspect A, but I could be wrong!

Oh wait.... both!! Yes.... that's it!!! :tup:

kel,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Trying madly to make the thoughts random again...

Why is it that young people don't know that less is more when it comes to perfume/after shave. These days, more than any in the past, I choke on the fug that follows them, even outside in the fresh air the stench is unbearable!

Maybe it's a UK thing... I dunno lol :shrug:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Trying madly to make the thoughts random again...

Why is it that young people don't know that less is more when it comes to perfume/after shave. These days, more than any in the past, I choke on the fug that follows them, even outside in the fresh air the stench is unbearable!

Maybe it's a UK thing... I dunno lol :shrug:

yep... it's not just young people!

I am not a fan, it seems dishonest to me, it's just yet another kind of mask?

Top Bottom