Questions and critique request on QWISO S.O.P.

MDabber317

Greetings FuckCombusters,

I'm new to the forum, and want to thank anyone who responds in advance. I'm posting to hopefully get some critique on my procedure and techniques and to get clarity on a few issues. I've spent hours reading this forum as well as others and realize there is some conflicting information as well as new discoveries in this crazy little hobby/science project, I'm just hoping to make the best stuff possible. I'll take ANY criticism and advice, thank you again.

My procedure/S.O.P.-

Equipment/Ingredients
-28.35g (1oz.) of buds, broken up to pieces no larger than a popcorn kernel while still trying to minimize smashing things up too much. (Frozen for no less than 24 hours, usually 72)

-99% lab grade Isopropyl alcohol. (1L per Oz. of product) (Also frozen for at least 24 hours)

-Pyrex lab grade jars and pyrex baking dishes.

-Unbleached coffee filters

-40oz 18/8 Stainless Steel water bottle

-Food grade strainer and funnel.

Procedure
1- Prepare work space with proper cleanliness and ventilation.

2- Place buds into the stainless water bottle, prechilling the water bottle in the freezer.

3- Begin a timer, quickly but gently pouring 1/2 of the ISO into the bottle and giving it a gently rotation for 10 seconds. Immediately place the strainer over the mouth of the water bottle (think drink strainer/shaker)
and as quickly as possible pour seperate "coarse" liquid into the first pyrex jar(#1).

4- After most of the alcohol is in Jar #1 I will immediately pour Jar #1 into a funnel into a funnel lined with the unbleached coffee filter and let that filter into Jar #2.

5- The same action is performed 3 times, often times combining wash 1 and 2 but always seperating the 3rd wash as I've found it to be of lesser quality.

6- After liquid is filtered into the jar through the coffee filter its placed into a pyrex baking dish, which is placed ontop of a heating pad to aid in evaporation.

7- After it has turned mostly solid and is the consitency of cold honey or molasses I will aggitate gently and continue to purge until no more small bubbles are seen and a small piece is ignited with no "crackling sound"

Thank you for bearing with me. Now for the questions.

1) I've heard of people "decarbing" their herb in an oven at around 200F for an hour, do I need to be doing this beforehand? (The final product is used in a pen with electric heating element)

2) Is my ratio of ISO to buds correct? I've been told that it should be 1L per oz of buds but I'm not sure if thats for each wash or for the total.

3) I usually do 3 washes, with the 3rd being "junk" given to friends or used in cooking. Is there any benefit to a 4th wash, or possibly even take it down to 2 washes?

4) I've been told to keep the solution away from the sun, to what degree do people go to ensure no sunlight is in contact with the evaporatioing solution?

4) My oil has been a little darker than I would like (medium amber), is there any way to get the color lighter from what you have read?

5) I've always squeezed out the coffee filter (wrapping the top up to make sure none of the solids get into it) but have been told this will leech chlorophyll? Is this true?

6) I've been yielding about 6grams total, is this a good yield? What would be optimum as far as per purge and is there a declination in yield that has been established?

Thank you again, I look forward to your advice and ideas!

LM

MDabber317,
Reactions: NorVape

vapethirty

4) My oil has been a little darker than I would like (medium amber), is there any way to get the color lighter from what you have read?
I was reading about this after trying similar methods with some ABV source material. Got decent results but it cracked and burned a bit, nothing like how the oil worked I made with butane extraction using the same source material. At first I thought it was bound water but I dried and dried it in an oil warmer for days. Reading more, I think it was chlorophyll. The iso oil still had a nice color, but it was just slightly darker than my other attempt using a bho method/same source material.

... From what I understand freezing it minimizes but doesn't stop the plant matter from entering the oil. This has to do with different types of solvents - polar vs non-polar.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/
They mention using special .45 micron filters to finish the process. This may help you get where you want to go!

Last edited:
vapethirty,
Top Bottom