• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Quartz Thunderbolt - all-quartz torch powered ball injector vaporizer in 19mm and 14mm- shipping from EU

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
QUARTZ IS NOT GLASS

There are many differences between glass and quartz. The first one lies in the silicone dioxide content; glass has roughly eighty percent, while quartz can contain over ninety percent.
As an amorphous substance, glass has a random molecular structure, while quartz has a symmetrical molecular structure.
Quartz can be subject to greater temperature and pressure as compared to glass.
Both quartz and glass are utilized for electrical purposes; glass is an insulator, while quartz is a conductor.
For our purposes, natural quartz seems hard to find pure enough to get a good resistance to cracking. All gemstones (quartz,rubies etc) used by all ball vapes are (or should be) synthetic for the high purity that is needed to get the maximum resistance to thermal shock.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Witness the birth of a star!

:D
qt14.png

A Quartz Thunderbolt 14mm emerging from the Asiatic forge !

Pre-order now to snag one of these babies...

Coil version prototype being made. There will be no wrapping or fitting issues!

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
P.S I am curious is production also based in the EU ?

This question keeps haunting me.

I am not happy with getting sucked into the business model of outsourcing manufacturing to China. The reasons against it are too serious (and political) to get into here but it is against everything I stand for.

On top of that, communication with Chinese manufacturers is difficult and the long shipping times make the production pretty frustrating.
If there are people who are willing to pay higher prices (almost double) for a product made in the EU (verifiable)- I am ready to get started! The coil-based QT is imminent and will change the scene...

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Titanium coils are in- as a neater alternative to wire balls, for those who want a top screen to keep their precious stones safe!
IMG20230303205253.jpg

IMG20230303210338.jpg

You will want to use a top screen if you take the QT out of its nest on your table to visit friends, or if you have guests. I have twice now allowed friends to pick up the QT forgetting to warn them that the top is open, and they immediately turned it upside down to see how it works...

Models with perforated quartz lids are coming, for those wanting something more serious looking. They will, however, eat more gas, because of the added mass of quartz, and of course will be more expensive.... Those models will best be used with coils and will be compatible with 25mm coils and other heating options ....

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
@Haze Mister

So you think this should be in the Portable section under the " Upcoming and unreleased vapes"?

Looks like a sweet concept!
Good luck with this project!
Thanks. It does not belong in either category being neither plug-in nor particularly portable- sorry about that :razz:

I'll make a new thread for the coil-compatible version as soon as the prototype photos are in...

shroomi

Thanks. It does not belong in either category being neither plug-in nor particularly portable- sorry about that :razz:

I'll make a new thread for the coil-compatible version as soon as the prototype photos are in...
Looking forward to seeing the coil version!
Will the regular ones work? Thinking about FP/x-roma style coils, of course the size would be 25mm and not 20 as you wrote in a previous post

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I do like the look of this thing, although I'm not that interested in a large coil driven one but the torch one seems interesting. How many bodies have been tested for durability so far? I'm cautious because of the warnings with the torched beaded elev8r regarding different expansion rates of the beads verses the body, but that could have been more if a problem with the Boro ones... They're all quartz too these days iirc, but they don't advocate the beads

Looking forward to people getting some in hand. Good luck @Haze Mister

Btw, I'm sure there was a stealth edit in there that mentioned 25mm coils 🤣

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I do like the look of this thing, although I'm not that interested in a large coil driven one but the torch one seems interesting. How many bodies have been tested for durability so far? I'm cautious because of the warnings with the torched beaded elev8r regarding different expansion rates of the beads verses the body, but that could have been more if a problem with the Boro ones... They're all quartz too these days iirc, but they don't advocate the beads

Looking forward to people getting some in hand. Good luck @Haze Mister
Thanks. I am confident enough to offer 1 year guarantee against breakage from thermal shock! (not dropping, lol).

I have used a cheap quartz piece (that I drilled through with a Dremel) for about 2 years prior to these. That piece came with a small crack. That crack never became bigger despite firing at it with a torch.....

On the other hand, once a glass (not quartz) piece has a crack, it is the end.

Even if the balls expand with heat by tiny amounts, there is enough space for them to move around and they are not locked in place because i am using quartz pebbles which have irregular shapes....

I have nothing good to say about the elev8r ! :ko:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'm not sure how you would tell a thermal stress break from a clumsiness feature, but I commend your confidence!

That's a shame you don't like the elev8r, the way it was designed, ie without balls and with the wand, it's a delight ime.

Defiantly watching mate 👍

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
If there is anyone here who has any experience with working with titanium, and is able to advise, PM me and I'll try to return the favour!

(and no, I am not producing a titanium vape!)

I'm not sure how you would tell a thermal stress break from a clumsiness feature, but I commend your confidence!

That's a shame you don't like the elev8r, the way it was designed, ie without balls and with the wand, it's a delight ime.

Defiantly watching mate
👍

Thanks

About the guarantee:
I am just selling through this forum for now because the signal-to-noise ratio is much higher here than social media and I'm less likely to get scammed- even though I will sell less....

People who buy from me can trust I am selling something that will work as intended and not fall apart, because otherwise the forum will talk about it and I wil not sell any more pieces.... and I want to trust that buyers wil be responsible with their purchase and for their actions...

Quartz tubes like these will not fall apart from a single case of thermal shock. Quartz will not crack from a butane flame normally. I have seen tiny hairline/superficial cracks in a quartz prototype and cheap quartz pieces, that were likely from material stress during manufacture. None of those cracks ever got bigger after repeated firings. Quartz is more like a stone than glass.

In the extremely unlikely scenario of a crack longer than 1mm appearing, the buyer will need to contact me. I will make this clear when the QT moves to the "released" section. Only replacements will be considered. No refunds possible for broken pieces no matter what...

Also- a break from an impact is not likely to look like a break from thermal shock... don't drop the QT, and if you do , don't try anything funny
:o

The piece will survive light drops onto wooden and with some luck even ceramic floors but I don't have a video just yet :lol:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer

IMG20230306174216.jpg

A complete kit like this (minus torch) can be made available if you want to pay me extra for a controller you can buy yourself :) I am working on a deal for these recyclers!

Those balls are rubies, emeralds, quartz- all available !

The following NSFW video describes my feelings accurately:

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
A few recent events compel me to write ...
A few words about coil business, cannabusiness and integrity....

I needed a coil and controller for testing. A friend lent me his old US-branded kit which he paid a lot of money for some years ago. The coil was not the size I wanted so I thought I could save money by buying another coil and use my friend's controller.

Then I looked into this... The company no longer sells any coils or PIDs and are now selling branded rosin presses.... They are in the US anyway so I thought I could just get a coil in the EU or China easier and cheaper...

These coils have 5 wires inside and are usually colour coded - yellow or green for ground, black and red for the thermocouple, and two identical colour wires which are AC power....So far so good.

Now, what the gentlemen selling branded packages with controllers, coils and bangers have done on many occasions is they delibaretely and arbitrarily switched around the wiring so that they could lock you into using their overpriced controller with their coil.... If you want to use a coil from another source you need a meter and some knowledge to find what's what and then you need to compromise the coil by cutting and re-soldering wires....

A quality controller and coil from the USA costs around $150. Paying more is just giving money to people who are taking you for a ride.

Those people can EAT DUST.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yes, coils don't follow a standard, so you have to be very careful to bit connect mismatched could and controllers. Here is a fantastic article that helps the uninitiated figure out compatibility.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Those awesome bowls and the 14mm versions coming in are for now only for QT buyers... Until larger batches can be made.

Double wall thick borosilicate glass, with internal teeth/ dimples/whatcha callem to keep the screen at a good depth, slightly above the bottom. I have ordered another batch with the teeth higher up, for raising the screen closer to the top and using smaller amounts/less gas. This is difficult glass work!

Note that raising the herb very close to the injector will make it less forgiving to overheating. I recommend a higher temperature instead.

These fat bowls allow you to fire away with merry abandon (I mean with care! :)) without getting the bowl too hot to touch.

THE BOWLS ARE NOT ESSENTIAL- You can use the QT with standard adapters with the right shape, or any deep injector bowl.

CURRENT PRICING

Quartz Thunderbolt all quartz injector in 19mm or 14mm: $100 /€95
Add a bowl : +$50 / €45

Basic set of stones: 3mm Quartz pebbles+ a few 6mm quartz spheres and a small amount (about 1/5th of total volume) of 3mm and 6mm rubies : + $20
Add 4-6 sapphires/emeralds (4-6mm): + $20

Titanium top screens, silicone grips and stainless steel clamps included with each order

Shipping to US is €45 ( tracked National post)
Shipping to EU/UK is €20
Other destinations- contact me

Made to order- ETA to your door 4-5 weeks from ordering! (less if i have some pieces here)

Last edited:

BakedDiogenes

Those awesome bowls and the 14mm versions coming in are for now only for QT buyers... Until larger batches can be made.

Double wall thick borosilicate glass, with internal teeth/ dimples/whatcha callem to keep the screen at a good depth, slightly above the bottom. I have ordered another batch with the teeth higher up, for raising the screen closer to the top and using smaller amounts/less gas. This is difficult glass work!

Note that raising the herb very close to the injector will make it less forgiving to overheating. I recommend a higher temperature instead.

These fat bowls allow you to fire away with merry abandon (I mean with care! :)) without getting the bowl too hot to touch.

THE BOWLS ARE NOT ESSENTIAL- You can use the QT with standard adapters with the right shape, or any deep injector bowl.

CURRENT PRICING

Quartz Thunderbolt all quartz injector in 19mm or 14mm: $100 /€95
Add a bowl : +$50 / €45

Basic set of stones: 3mm Quartz pebbles+ a few 6mm quartz spheres and a small amount (about 1/5th of total volume) of 3mm and 6mm rubies : + $20
Add 4-6 sapphires/emeralds (4-6mm): + $20

Titanium top screens, silicone grips and stainless steel clamps included with each order

Shipping to EU/UK is €20

Made to order- ETA to your door 4-5 weeks from ordering! (less if i have some pieces here)
Any reason why a 14mm injector and 19mm injector are the same price?

BakedDiogenes,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Any reason why a 14mm injector and 19mm injector are the same price?
The factory charges the same ... I think it's pretty much the same amount of work and the difference in the amount of quartz used is negligible. They still have to sweat it and weld that disc inside that tube .... It may even be more difficult work as it's a smaller piece ... I'm lucky i can get these made at all.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Emeralds are off the menu for now while I check on them.

To keep things fun I'm offering a few different colour combos and giving them names.

Here's "The Classic"- being shipped out to a soon-to-be-happy owner as soon as I have the address!!

IMG20230308120432.jpg

The pic shows the basic kit with silicone grip and optional titanium top screen. Not pictured is a steel test tube clamp which will also be included.
The coil top screen is only used if you want extra safety- as you can see the larger stone(s) at the top of the stack should keep the gems contained pretty well. I do not use a top screen at home and have had no trouble despite not being the most careful with my hands.

Using some kind of stand for the injector is strongly recommended and I am working on handmade stands. There is a bewilldering variety of stands on Etsy and simple labware glass stands can be easily found online.

The photo shows the basic gemstone mix for €20. For 3/4mm rubies only it's €30. Add a few blue sapphires for another €10. I am not that interested in re-selling gemstones so you could find the stones cheaper if you're prepared to click around. SiC balls mixed with quartz could offer a slight performance boost.
I don't use a ruby-only filling because I believe thermal transfer from quartz to quartz is faster than quartz to ruby- differences are pretty slight.

To repeat: These injectors and bowls are mostly hand-made and imperfections will be present. Every injector and bowl will be tested (I love this job!) and cleaned before being sent out.

Official release will be anounced soon.

END OF MARCH IS THE END OF THE ORDERING PERIOD FOR THIS FIRST VERSION WHILE I FOCUS ON NEXT LEVEL DESIGNS. I hope to keep this design available to order as long as the factory is willing to make it - but longer waits may be involved.

The bowls I am offering have 4 teeth a little way up from the bottom of the bowl. This allows you to place the screen above or below the teeth (with a bit of pushing) to obtain the desired depth. Placing the screen above the teeth is working pretty good. Pushing the center of the screen a little bit down through the teeth deforms it slightly and gets it nicely locked in place! Finally!

Bowls should keep coming now as I seem to have worked out faster shipping. New bowl design is in the works.

Last edited:

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
If there is anyone here who has any experience with working with titanium, and is able to advise, PM me and I'll try to return the favour!

(and no, I am not producing a titanium vape!)
I have done/am currently doing both online and physical research on titanium and anodising, but i am by no means an expert in titanium. Will have time later when im back on if no one else weighs in.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Yep. The desire to reload happens. :) You can carefully pick it up from the top end with bare fingers in about 60-90 secs.

You wanna fire only at the area where the gems are to avoid getting the top end unnecessarily hot.

I use the silicone grip if I'm in a hurry but I will also throw in one of these clamps -thanks to @coolbreeze !

61OEwRnn8xL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
CARING IS SHARING

The untethered nature of my injectors make it tempting to pass the rig around. ...
Please make sure everyone involved is not drunk or on drugs and that they are really educated about how to use this thing!!

I had been using the QT with a bubbler with my space cadet GF for months- then one evening we were talking and I passed her the piece without turning it so that the mouthpiece would face her... she touched her lips on the hot injector!!!

It has healed without a scar but she spent some very uncomfortable days....

Using the top screen when using it with friends or showing it to friends is also a good idea.

Another thing i have seen happen often is people will feel scared and will try to inhale very slowly--- this actually produces hotter vapor and can lead to combustion even though you are at a normal (for you) temperature.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Make that €30 for packaging& shipping to US (depending on customs arrangement) :)

I received a few questions and it seems I should clarify things for people new to this.

"Injector" refers to the Quartz Thunderbolt itself- the heater unit.
It is a term referring to this type of vaporizer design: a heater tube that joins with the bowl from above, and heats up the air entering the bowl as the user inhales, offering pure convection, high density vaporisation.

I don't like the term "injector" but it is what we have for now- I'll see if i can stop myself from using it..

The bowls I am offering in white, amber and fumed silver ( other colours may be possible at a small extra charge) all have a 14mm male joint at the bottom. A cheap low profile adapter will work to attach to a 19mm female joint.

The QT comes in 19mm and 14mm sizes, with matching bowls (optional).

WHICH SIZE QT TO GET?
14mm= less gas, more efficient for smaller amounts, more suitable for j-hooks/dry pieces, small bowl - hard to replace bowl if you break it.
19mm= bigger hits, large bowl, easy to replace bowl - more gas and herb consumed.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH SIZE YOU WANT WHEN YOU CONTACT ME ...:bowdown:

The small batch of QT's and other prototypes being made is delayed, but it is a matter of days now...

Here's another detailed look at using the QT (prototype shown)

For the lucky ones to be getting started with their QT soon, here's a few quick tips perhaps not covered before:

-Do not overheat- do not attempt to get the QT red-hot. Do not heat the QT empty or without quartz, ruby or SiC balls inside! Other materials have not been tested - use them at your own risk...

-Do not use metal balls. Spare quartz pebbles are added with every order and they can be cheaply replaced. If you buy the QT pre-filled, the only worthwhile upgrade might be replacing some quartz with SiC balls- (prepare to pay almost $1 per ball !)

-To use with a bubbler (recommended), first test the water level : attach the loaded bowl and the QT, and test the draw. Add/remove water so that you can get as much water in there as possible while still being able to draw as hard as you comfortably can, without getting water in your mouth. This is essential for getting the full experience!

-Don't compress the herb in the bowl. Just press it down lightly to get an even, flat surface.

-Instead of a chef's torch, a 25mm axial coil can be used ( see video above) with no modifications. This design is not optimal for this, however, and you would need to get the coil red-hot to achieve a moderate vaping temperature in the QT. A coil - based version is coming soon with the Thunderbolt 202.

- Attach QT to loaded bowl and fire at the gemstones only, and away from the bowl, while holding the bowl from the bottom and rotating it on the joint. Very slightly lift the bowl off the joint to enable easy rotation. The use of a torch with a slightly upwards angled nozzle is recommended. Keep the most intense part of the flame off the quartz and use as fat a flame as possible (wide instead of focused).

-For easy firing, set up your torch or bubbler with coasters or other props (if needed) so that the torch can fire at the gemstones when standing next to your rig, and rotate the bowl/QT assembly as seen in the videos. Do NOT leave the torch firing at the QT unattended!
Coming soon : The Revolutionary Rotating Firing Tower!

-Use a medium- high flame to get up to temperature within 60-70 seconds or so. Taking too long heating up the injector attached to the bowl will heat up the bowl, potentially leading to some loss of flavour and eventualy to charring or combustion upon inhalation.

- Pay attention and stop firing when you see the rubies go dark. They will look almost black in low ambient light but only dark red in bright light.

- I recommend trying a faster, deeper, but shorter inhalation than you may be used to from other flower vapes. The mass of gemstones will release the heat they are holding as you inhale and you can zap your load with a quick blast of hot, quartz-energised air to receive very tasty clouds of pure vapor.

If you don't get enough vapor, you know to fire a little longer (a few seconds) past the colour change. This depends on your glass piece and how you like to draw on it.
The harder the draw, the higher the temperature needed, and conversely a lighter inhalation requires a lower temperature to avoid charring the herb. Effects will differ depending on how you hit it.

That's all there is to getting started....

Last edited:
Top Bottom