Puffco Proxy

purpletweed

The Puffco Proxy is a portable, modular vaporizer that provides broad flexibility for your cannabis consumption experience. Cannabis tradition meets innovation with an elegant, ergonomic glass pipe that cradles the Proxy’s unique removable base, allowing you to customize your experience with an ecosystem of compatible Puffco accessories and third-party artist glass. Powered by our cutting-edge 3D Chamber technology, the Proxy has four precision heated temperatures settings for the most flavorful experience and vapor production.
ProxyGallery_0000_DEVICE_960x960.png
ProxyGallery_0003_3-Quarters-View_960x960.png
ProxyGallery_0004_Pull-out_960x960.png

Read more here: https://www.puffco.com/products/the-proxy

Seems like it just came out today!

florduh

I kind of like the look. Though for $300... why not get a Divine Tribe v5? Same tech as the "3D Atomizer". I know people don't like learning how to use mods. But you have to decide if the 20 minutes it'll take to learn is worth more than the $200 or so mark up.

I do like the pipe look though. I realize it's literally the exact opposite of their entire design philosophy, but I want the Taffee Bowle heater put in this form factor.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Besides the price tag alone, when the accessory makers come out with alt. mouthpieces/pipes (dimpled, longer, different shapes, different angles, etc) imagine what those glass artisan glassblowen pipes might cost. You'd be losing 1/2 your investment. 🤔

Summer,
Reactions: florduh

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Powered by our cutting-edge 3D Chamber technology, the Proxy has four precision heated temperatures settings...
Wow, four? That *is* cutting edge; I'm amazed and will buy immediately (never).

Awesome form factor if I was interested in looking like a choad huffing away on granddad's Dr. Grabow.

Pass with disdainful derision.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Wow, four? That *is* cutting edge
Yeah, they should have had Bluetooth for Puffco Connect App that is not available for Aussie users (and many others no doubt). I was forced to use a 3rd party side loaded app to have access to my Puffco Peak Pro that 'broke' a few features when it tried to do a firmware update for the new 3d crap and disco lights (I now have 3 temp settings and only have stealth mode as the lights just go crazy)...still love it though!
Maybe a MKII will have app access, Puffco just getting the usual gotta be first crew to pay thru the nose and not care and the same will just buy the upgrade and still say it is cheap.
it's to press-fit into the glass pieces for combustion.
Well, that is Fucked...FuckCombustion!

Petetbay

I’m liking this thing, says it does 15 heat cycles, pretty good for the size. I don’t see anywhere how long the cycle is besides the 30sec heat up. It does have boost time like the Pro though it doesn’t say how long the boost is. 1/3 of the price is the 3D chamber. The only thing that bothers me is the built-in battery making its lifespan pretty short with such a small battery under heavy use at $300US a pop not as replaceable as a $80CDN Qomo. The add on accessories are pretty cool, but like all Puffco accessories very expensive. I need a free one. It’s like a shrunken head Pro. :sherlock:

florduh

I like dry dabs. But you can get better temp control in a more portable device for a third of the price by opting for a DTv5/Pico combo.

florduh,
Reactions: Petetbay

darbarikanada

why not get a Divine Tribe v5?
I don't own either, but it seems to me from reading quite a bit on the DT reddit that the V5 isn't really portable (gets too hot, too fast, is best with water), so if this thing makes cooler vapor than the V5, doesn't get overly hot, it could be nice - price aside. it seems like portable concentrate devices (e.g. pens, mod-based atomizers) often have extremely short vapor paths, making for hot vapor, so I'll be curious to see user reviews.

Last edited:

florduh

I don't own either, but it seems to me from reading quite a bit on the DT reddit that the V5 isn't really portable (gets too hot, too fast, is best with water), so if this thing makes cooler vapor than the V5, doesn't get overly hot, it could be nice - price aside. it seems like portable concentrate devices (e.g. pens, mod-based atomizers) often have extremely short vapor paths, making for hot vapor, so I'll be curious to see user reviews.

The DTv5 uses almost the same exact 3d atomizer. So the Proxy would involve the same amount of heat. But given it's wrapped in silicone and then glass, it shouldn't radiate to the outside of the device as quickly.

The Proxy wouldn't make cooler vapor. The longer stem is what will cool it. Adding a longer drip tip to the DTv5 would accomplish the same thing.

I don't hate the Proxy or anything. I'm a dry dab boy and new products serving that market are far and few between. I think it's a bit overpriced. Something closer to 200 would be more reasonable. I do wish they could've added the bluetooth temp control capability. Part of comfort while dry vaping is dialing in the right temp. On the proxy you gotta hope those 4 pre-set temps serve you well.

darbarikanada

But given it's wrapped in silicone and then glass, it shouldn't radiate to the outside of the device as quickly.

The Proxy wouldn't make cooler vapor. The longer stem is what will cool it. Adding a longer drip tip to the DTv5 would accomplish the same thing.
yes. the device itself shouldn't get as hot as the DTV, and the longer stem should make for cooler vapor. adding a longer drip tip to the DT5 would make it even less portable than it already is. in a way, the proxy's like a banger without water - but portable. I use a mighty for concentrates, so this isn't a product I have any need for. furthermore, because so many people vape 'e-juice' from devices, I can vape concentrates in my mighty in public without it being obvious that I'm vaping cannabis - the same could hardly be said about the proxy: discreet it ain't.

florduh

Jesus H Christ. Puffco's marketing team is something else. Google "Puffco Proxy" and you'll see like a dozen articles from somewhat reputable sites promoting this thing.

“Our belief is that hash is the best experience in the space. And we believe that that is what is going to grow. There is something here that is extremely flavorful, easy to dial in, and a beautiful experience for people that don’t typically like smoking. And we believe that that is what the future is, and we’re all on this path to get there together. So if there’s anything I want you to relay, it’s just that we believe that hash is the future and we’re here to build the road there with our community,” Roger explained.

Roger is a bit of a PT Barnum figure, but he's definitely speaking my language.

“I think when it comes to the Peak, the Peak is still something that—to a complete outsider of hash—is intimidating. You’re looking at this big device, you have to load it. It’s a bong and it’s electronic. So it’s just, I think for some, unfamiliar enough that even though it’s so easy, [with the Proxy they’ll say] ‘oh my God, this is 20 times easier than what I was doing before. And I can put my friends on with this.’ I think this is such a well known form (the Sherlock) that it becomes this Trojan horse for hash culture, where if you’re into pipes, if you’ve smoked out of a bowl, you have all the context you need—just load your pipe and smoke it. Everybody is kind of familiar with that.”

I think he might be right here too. There's a reason pre-filled carts are more popular than straight dabbing. Whipping out a rig or even an e-rig is off putting to most casual cannabis consumers. Though it is kind of funny that Roger is just describing a crucible wax pen. Puffco didn't exactly invent that concept.

Now if this had a glass joint on the bottom and went directly into heady glass that would be something....

It looks like the concept behind this thing is that in can also be dropped into glass rigs as well. Probably custom glass that specifically fits the Proxy. But someone will sell a glass adapter so it can be used with standard rigs.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Google "Puffco Proxy" and you'll see like a dozen articles from somewhat reputable sites promoting this thing.

That’s why they have to charge what they have to. I was recently watching a few fishing shows on Pluto and noticed they were all sponsored by the same (very expensive) boat manufacturer.

This is like the new era business model - use your pricing to set a “premium” perception and then use the revenue to market it ultra-heavily to keep the premium perception afloat.

Puffco is positioned to be the next Storz-Bickel in the vape industry.

I think he might be right here too. There's a reason pre-filled carts are more popular than straight dabbing. Whipping out a rig or even an e-rig is off putting to most casual cannabis consumers. Though it is kind of funny that Roger is just describing a crucible wax pen. Puffco didn't exactly invent that concept.

He’s right that hash is the future, but it’s mostly going to come in ceramic cartridge pens.

It’s only for one main reason, and that’s prerequisite pricing. Most people will opt for the $30 cartridge battery rather than the $300+ e-rig platform. Think of how many people you know that actually own a $300 bong. Or a $300 dry pipe. It’s still positioned at the much more serious cannabis consumer.

I don’t really see the Proxy being any more familiar for a smoker to use though. Every old school smoker I know absolutely loves dabs and cartridge pens so I don’t think the barrier to entry is that high. It’s almost identical to the Peak in operation, sans filling the glass with water. And it looks like bubblers are coming for this, so I don’t see a gigantic real world difference.

It looks like the concept behind this thing is that in can also be dropped into glass rigs as well. Probably custom glass that specifically fits the Proxy. But someone will sell a glass adapter so it can be used with standard rigs.

That seems like something that would sell a lot of units! I still would rather have the full range adjustability offered by the Peak Pro though.

I bet they sell even more Peak Pros with this, I’ve read plenty on tiered business pricing structures where a lower priced option actually sells more higher priced units.

florduh

He’s right that hash is the future, but it’s mostly going to come in ceramic cartridge pens.

Yeah, I'd like to see a company like Puffco come out with a refillable ceramic cartridge system. Maybe partner with extractors to put liquified hash in syringes. The waste of tossing a cart every half gram still bothers me. Although if we're talking about all ceramic carts, is the waste really that much more than a glass and ceramic syringe?

I know coming from the e-cig world, most normies were still buying prefilled pods. Filling your own atomizers was always much cheaper. And much easier than trying to shoot thick hash oil into a cart. Didn't matter. Maybe the way around this is just loosening regs around recycling used carts at dispensaries and smoke shops.

I bet they sell even more Peak Pros with this, I’ve read plenty on tiered business pricing structures where a lower priced option actually sells more higher priced units.

Yeah, I've worked in technology sales. That's the oldest trick in the book. I do think Puffco is trying to create a new market, the way they did with the Peak. That arguably launched the e-rig market. We'll see. I can't imagine there are many people who are too intimidated by the Peak but would have no issue with a glass dab pipe.

The Proxy would be somewhat interesting to me at $200. For $300 it would need to have 1 degree temp control like the Pro.

Dargin B

Just got mine. Only had one bowl, but I much prefer this to the Pro. Nice open draw and delicious. This is way better than any cart I've tried. I think its really smart for them to make it modular. Selling accessories is probably going to be juicy for them.

florduh

Just got mine. Only had one bowl, but I much prefer this to the Pro. Nice open draw and delicious. This is way better than any cart I've tried. I think its really smart for them to make it modular. Selling accessories is probably going to be juicy for them.

Nice!

Only had one bowl, but I much prefer this to the Pro.

Out of curiosity, do you ever take dry dabs on your Pro? I think water does grab some of the tasty bits. And a short-ish vapor path can absolutely taste better, and will likely get you higher. The concern with terpy concentrates is throat burn, but it sounds like that's not an issue on the Proxy.

Dargin B

Any idea what the 4 temps are? :sherlock:
Negative, it doesn't matter what the number is to me. I went with green which I what I usually use on the Pro unless it's diamonds. I was surprised at how smooth it was. I've never hit the puffco without water. I only vape flower through water, but I've enjoyed concentrates dry when I had the Humbolt Vape Tech mod stuff..and also some of the quality live 510 / pod stuff. I have been waiting for someone to drop a really good dab pen / pipe so this was calling my name...

florduh

Looking at the first user reviews, it looks like the Proxy may be a hit. Some of this may be justifying an expensive purchase to yourself, but I think there's a little more to it. I'm in Troy's Discord channel. He said he mostly bought one because it's his job. But after using it for a few hours, he thinks this product is going places.

This makes sense to me. If you're used to water cooled dabs, it can be a bit shocking how good a dry dab can taste. The Proxy isn't exactly a radical concept. It's a crucible wax pen with a long stem for the vapor path. I've been vaping that way for years. Puffco just put that concept in a small, fashionable, easy to use package.

Besides the long stem for cooling vapor, the Proxy's crucible is smaller than the Peak Pro's. I think it's smaller than the DTv5 too. I think the smaller crucible helps with vapor comfort. The larger the heating element is, the hotter the air will be.

@invertedisdead kind of demonstrated this whole concept a while back. He connected a glass tube to a rosin cart. I'm pretty sure he called it an "e-rig killer". Same sort of concept as the Proxy. Small heater connected to a longer vapor path= comfortable, terpy vapor.

Top Bottom