Protip: DON'T PUT DETAILED ITEM DESCRIPTIONS IN PAYPAL

Caligula

Maximus
I just had PayPal request detailed information on a recent transaction because the buyer detailed that he was buying a glass rig in the notes. This apparently breaks the TOS of paypal and I may now lose my account.

This as been a public service announcement.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Maybe you need to have him add tobaco or explain it as such!!!. I guess I have never read the fine print, even though we checked that box.

I don't get it. ebay owns paypal, this is a paypal only auction, this says tobaco?? there are tons of these?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hookah-Set-...948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a35d6d24

Mod, please delete the link if not ok. (i have not read the rules here either) ;)

Last edited:

z9

When I get dhgate glass from China it usually says 'glass art'. I thought that was pretty clever.

I've sent a lot of invoices through PayPal to buyers stating that I am selling "Glass Sculptures", I even have a business account through PayPal that does NOT sell glass sculptures regularly and haven't had any transactions questioned thus far . If they do inquire I'll tell them it was this kind of sculpture... used but cleaned thoroughly with ISO. That should make them mind their business :evil:

wax

So I hAbe a dispute with someone and paypal is asking me to provide the url of the item (glass tube).
Would I be breaking the TO if I gave them the url that clearly has glass on it could I still say it's art ?

dron19

I am curious about people wanting to use Paypal on classified ad transactions... since it breaks the Paypal acceptable use TOS and you are subject to $2500 penalty fee they can take directly from your bank plus lose your account ... plus then you can not use ebay ever again since you can't use paypal to pay. If you got your vape and then filed a claim against the other person because it wasn't what they said, then you will have admitted to breaking the TOS and you both lose your accounts.... and possible huge penalty. so using paypal to feel "safe" in a transaction seems odd to me... because you can't file a claim no matter what happens.

Psypal clearly states "drug paraphernalia" is not allowed.... what am I missing?

**search paypal acceptable use policy
-September 21,2021

dron19,
Reactions: kel

JCat

Accessory Maker
I am curious about people wanting to use Paypal on classified ad transactions... since it breaks the Paypal acceptable use TOS and you are subject to $2500 penalty fee they can take directly from your bank plus lose your account ... plus then you can not use ebay ever again since you can't use paypal to pay. If you got your vape and then filed a claim against the other person because it wasn't what they said, then you will have admitted to breaking the TOS and you both lose your accounts.... and possible huge penalty. so using paypal to feel "safe" in a transaction seems odd to me... because you can't file a claim no matter what happens.

Psypal clearly states "drug paraphernalia" is not allowed.... what am I missing?

**search paypal acceptable use policy
-September 21,2021
Would that mean you can’t sell a wine glass? As alcohol and cannabis are both legal recreational drugs here in Canada and so a wine glass is as much drug paraphernalia as a bong is …

JCat,

dron19

Yes, i suppose you are correct they could include that if they felt like it.... and your having a paypal account is already at their whim... not sure if you ever had any dealings with Paypal but having a philosophical debate with them will not happen and they will already have deleted your account...

dron19,
Reactions: Shrike

Vaporware

200.gif

Vaporware,

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Ahem!

My personal preference is to observe trust and use Friends & Family, no description,

The tos don't say anything about taking from your bank account, just pp balance, this is clearly a legal stipulation that lets them close an account without having to pay the balance rather than an attempt to harangue people out of cash.

I think the terms of use are pretty clear:

If your primary use of your PayPal account is business and you do dodgy shit they're going to shut you down - so don't even bother!

If you're a regular person buying on eBay and doing mates exchanges, I think you are probably fine.

Here's the link:

kel,

dron19

Didn't think we were allowed to post links but here are the pertinent ones:
Acceptable use policy: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full

Restricted activity and holds policy:
(will not give the proper link but is clickable link in the above listed link )
and also under
Actions they may take:

I was a power seller on ebay with thousands of transactions. Never had any issues. But in the US with the "vape mail ban" , etc I am trying to give everyone a heads up. It has nothing to do with doing dodgy shit.... it has happened to quite a few... and it is sooooooo hard to get to talk to anyone at paypal who has authority to actually do anything... it is clearly a risk and the risk level is going up in the US concerning vapes.
And since the weed vape market never differentiated itself from the tobacco vape market by using a different term or phrase, unfortunately it all got put into one big lump.... by all means, carry on
... but no crying when they decide they want to mess with you because someone files a transaction complaint concerning a vape. I am saying again, it is a false sense of security and maybe you need to re-evaluate who you choose to deal with and not just on what the person is offering.

Last edited:
dron19,
Top Bottom