POTV Lobo

ChooChooCharlie

Been enjoying the Lobo, no annoying "toaster heating wire" after taste, unlike my past experience with weeke heater builds. And, no more silicone deflectors to the MP opening found in OG weeke MP assembly designs

Small things accumulate to differentiate the Lobo user experience: rail with magnetic attachment, recessed buttons, USB C on side, grippy concave finger pull spots with POTV logo

Excellent capsules. Fit well, not too snug, not too loose. Easy opening. Empty easily if using ketchup bottle stab technique (pretend to stab hamburger with ketchup bottle -- when you abruptly stop the stab, momentum helps eject the ketchup. After capsule cool to touch safely, slap it down, open side down on a surface)

Edit: I removed the screen from the glass adapter MP, because I'm a capsule guy. Learned from years of capsule use in Mighty/Crafty. Don't need screen, especially with Lobo caps with their tiny holes, screen is redundant -- but it's worse...gets resin stickiness on and around screen, which can cause capsule lid sticking, frequent cleaning, ug

Think my favorite little feature is battery life check without powering on -- clever AND useful, what a concept

The curved mini bubbler is too restrictive IMO. I liked the "globe" glass best -- it's not listed as an option on the Lobo page, need to navigate to the POTV Parts and Accessories for the "POTV Globe Glass". Also, Lobo works well on a bubbler with the Water Pipe Glass adapter. Wonder if they will offer a PEEK MP attachment with tiny zirconia spiral for compact cooling like other small vapes have, for more rugged and pocket size friendly glass-free travel?

there is a faint curved discoloration line on bottom of unit and symmetrically on both sides of the "glass adapter" MP part, but faint and can only be seen at a certain angle. Must be from mold process or post mold machine handling at factory, so easily fixed with further QC iterations

Last edited:

BL4ZE

Been enjoying the Lobo, no annoying "toaster heating wire" after taste, unlike my past experience with weeke heater builds. And, no more silicone deflectors to the MP opening found in OG weeke MP assembly designs

Small things accumulate to differentiate the Lobo user experience: rail with magnetic attachment, recessed buttons, USB C on side, grippy concave finger pull spots with POTV logo

Excellent capsules. Fit well, not too snug, not too loose. Easy opening. Empty easily if using ketchup bottle stab technique (pretend to stab hamburger with ketchup bottle -- when you abruptly stop the stab, momentum helps eject the ketchup. After capsule cool to touch safely, slap it down, open side down on a surface)

Edit: I removed the screen from the glass adapter MP, because I'm a capsule guy. Learned from years of capsule use in Mighty/Crafty. Don't need screen, especially with Lobo caps with their tiny holes, screen is redundant -- but it's worse...gets resin stickiness on and around screen, which can cause capsule lid sticking, frequent cleaning, ug

Think my favorite little feature is battery life check without powering on -- clever AND useful, what a concept

The curved mini bubbler is too restrictive IMO. I liked the "globe" glass best -- it's not listed as an option on the Lobo page, need to navigate to the POTV Parts and Accessories for the "POTV Globe Glass". Also, Lobo works well on a bubbler with the Water Pipe Glass adapter. Wonder if they will offer a PEEK MP attachment with tiny zirconia spiral for compact cooling like other small vapes have, for more rugged and pocket size friendly glass-free travel?

there is a faint curved discoloration line on bottom of unit and symmetrically on both sides of the "glass adapter" MP part, but faint and can only be seen at a certain angle. Must be from mold process or post mold machine handling at factory, so easily fixed with further QC iterations

I've got to agree with most of your points.
I really like the dosing capsule like yourself. It's a good size and easy to open and load. Wider opening then my v3 max bowl which is nice.

I do feel the Lobo extracts very well for being a handheld unit of its size. I feel like I take less hits but get more medicated which leads to bowls going a little faster. I'm used to hitting a bowl on my V3 max for a little longer (I feel) whereas sometimes with the Lobo I'm like geez it's gone already. And I'm not saying that as knock on the Lobo just an observation of the two vapes.

Overall, I don't have any complaints. Does everything I need it to do for a small handheld battery powered vape.

marduk

daydreamer

Nice review. Which color did you get that has this discoloration line?

pajamaphobia

Hoping for a silicone boot and top, the boot being a bit tighter and meant to stay on, with maybe a plastic rim molded around into the bottom as to keep it standing up nicely, instead of being squishy and prone to tipping.

The top being akin to the HR rogue cover, but with the mouth piece section having a plastic cylinder with silicone/rubber or whatever injected around it, the plastic giving it rigidity to give some strength in the pocket.

Also wish the air holes on the bottom had a slider (like the laptop privacy sliders for cameras nowadays) to close those off, when hiking or out and about my pockets end up with all sorts of things, bugs, dust, sticks, pocket sand, I'm thinking about getting some reusable stickers and just covering the holes when not in use.

Beansuppa

just fyi: I received my black unit today. It was missing one part of the order, so I wrote them an email to: hello@planetofthevapes.com and included my order number. They got back to me literally within the hour with another order number for the missing item. I can't say enough great things about this company.

As far as the Lobo itself goes: I'm still topping off the included battery, (it arrived at 3.80v) and I did a few burn-offs with another 18650 while waiting. I like the solid feel in the hand. It did get pretty warm during 3 burn offs at max temp, but that's to be expected, and I won't ever run it that hot irl.
I'm stoked to have a stealthy unit again for out and about! I used to have a fury/one for on the go, and since last year been using the POTV v3pro instead. It is great for that, but is a little long to be stealthy. Also excited at the lobos ability to extract quicker than the above mentioned units. I'm usually using these on set break from playing music, so quick is key!
I'll give a first impressions review once I run a couple bowls
This is the email I've been in contact with. They've been pretty responsive up until now, though I still haven't gotten any response back since I sent them the email this morning.

Maybe tomorrow...hoping for the best.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
DISCLAIMER: I consulted on the development of the Lobo. I am biased towards it. You can believe the facts I present, but take my opinions about the Lobo with a grain of salt.
——————————————------------------------------------
A little more about temp overrun...

Why do so many of today's on-demand convection vapes hit really hard on longer hits? Because the temperature is hard to control when the user takes a really long draw. The heat builds up in the herbs and they get too hot. Sometimes as much as 50-80F too hot.

But a couple years ago we did a stream where Troy and I only hit the Volcano set to 330F for the whole show. We saw very little vapor, but got high as balls. The Volcano is legendary for temp control, and it never let the temp get high enough to fog things up.

It's really two different ways to vape - set and keep the temp, or let it build up and ride the wave. "Riding the wave" is a style that's been around a while. It was a stated goal of the VripTech sessions, and Firefly even tried to patent it (and maybe got it, I don't know).

When it was time to tame the Lobo, we wanted to set the temp and keep it there. It's important to me that flavor chasers get to savor the taste as long as possible, and I don't want all their sessions to end way too high. So while the Lobo dumps heat into the bowl at all temps, it doesn't overshoot and steer your session hotter than desired. You can extract quicker at any temp, but all temps don't lead to the same place. That took months to get right, and I hope you enjoy it!

Puddentain

Way back on the first review Jerry said this
DISCLAIMER: I consulted on the development of the Lobo. I am biased towards it. You can believe the facts I present, but take my opinions about the Lobo with a grain of salt.
A little more about temp overrun...

Why do so many of today's on-demand convection vapes hit really hard on longer hits? Because the temperature is hard to control when the user takes a really long draw. The heat builds up in the herbs and they get too hot. Sometimes as much as 50-80F too hot.

But a couple years ago we did a stream where Troy and I only hit the Volcano set to 330F for the whole show. We saw very little vapor, but got high as balls. The Volcano is legendary for temp control, and it never let the temp get high enough to fog things up.

It's really two different ways to vape - set and keep the temp, or let it build up and ride the wave. "Riding the wave" is a style that's been around a while. It was a stated goal of the VripTech sessions, and Firefly even tried to patent it (and maybe got it, I don't know).

When it was time to tame the Lobo, we wanted to set the temp and keep it there. It's important to me that flavor chasers get to savor the taste as long as possible, and I don't want all their sessions to end way too high. So while the Lobo dumps heat into the bowl at all temps, it doesn't overshoot and steer your session hotter than desired. You can extract quicker at any temp, but all temps don't lead to the same place. That took months to get right, and I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for all this detailed info. I hope to receive my Lobo on Friday and I look forward to putting it thru its paces. Reading thru this string along with Vaporents on Reddit has helped pass the wait time for sure. Seems to be a fair amount of angst about the “heavy hitter” blurb that has since been retired. The approach you outline focuses more on thermal efficiency, which is smart for a device that doesn’t pretend to be an artisanal device, or carry an artisanal price tag.

Petetbay

Never one to let a bad idea die, I tried my Fierce bent stem with some modifications. I‘m using the stem in reverse with a 10mm basket screen making it an adjustable bowl size. 1st try was hot on the lips because the bowl glass captures heat there so filled with 6mm glass balls, super cool. I set to 385*F start pulling @ 280 by 325 mega nice tasty hit, maybe 6-10 sec hard draws, exhale repeat, 4 draws bowl done, really tasty clouds. You can keep drawing but there not much vapor. Some pics, avb after 5 pulls too dark, but I’m an addict. Did a bowl of my secret stash Charlottes Web, 4 pulls excellent nice roast and vapor was cool. You could say it’s a kind of quasi on demand using the ramping up of heater and it’s mainly convection reminds me when you have the Evo running good there’s no harshest, kind of airy rips. Bowl is done in like 2 minutes. I’m not usually a on demand vaper.

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Nice review. Which color did you get that has this discoloration line?
Color doesn't matter, imperfections on plastic bottom and both sides of glass attachment part

Cosmetic only, can only see if looking for it, at the right angle:

Lobo-cosmetic-surface-marks.jpg

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Daaaaammmmnnnn @Petetbay - that might be the darkest abv I've seen from a Lobo!

Without a deep dive into what that style does to the heat profile, I'm pretty sure there won't be any attempt to bring a mouthpiece like this to market for the Lobo for one big reason. It was an early stated goal to get a bigger bowl than the ONE, and the glass-stem-insert method reduces the size of the oven. I would have to have a glass wall thickness of 1.5 - 2mm for the stem to make it durable, and that would make the bowl smaller than the ONE. Just didn't want to keep some of you waiting...

Petetbay

I’ve had darker, blackened, on the verge of combustion.
It was an early stated goal to get a bigger bowl than the ONE, and the glass-stem-insert method reduces the size of the oven.
Regular Fierce stem bowl. 0.15g
XL Fierce stem bowl. .22g
My bucket screen Fierce stem 0.2g and adjustable +-
My regular Lobo bowl 0.23g
Stems are draw filled with slight tamp to make sure secure like I do with Arizers.
Fierce stems are 1.25mm wall thickness, Argo stem 1.3mm, most other Arizers 1.6-1.8mm

Last edited:

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Never one to let a bad idea die, I tried my Fierce bent stem with some modifications. I‘m using the stem in reverse with a 10mm basket screen making it an adjustable bowl size. 1st try was hot on the lips because the bowl glass captures heat there so filled with 6mm glass balls, super cool. I set to 385*F start pulling @ 280 by 325 mega nice tasty hit, maybe 6-10 sec hard draws, exhale repeat, 4 draws bowl done, really tasty clouds. You can keep drawing but there not much vapor. Some pics, avb after 5 pulls too dark, but I’m an addict. Did a bowl of my secret stash Charlottes Web, 4 pulls excellent nice roast and vapor was cool. You could say it’s a kind of quasi on demand using the ramping up of heater and it’s mainly convection reminds me when you have the Evo running good there’s no harshest, kind of airy rips. Bowl is done in like 2 minutes. I’m not usually a on demand vaper.
I’m ‘All Aboard’ Petetbay’s ‘Never one to let a bad idea die’ train. Here’s why.

On the last Think Dank video Troy and Jerry revealed two new POTV exclusives; two complete custom wpa adapter units for replacing the standard lid/top on the Mighty and Pax. Very slick. Both accessories were well thought out and designed for function and aesthetics.

POTV has gained considerable expertise and success in bringing new products to market over the past few years. It really doesn’t seem much of a stretch for them to consider another accessory option for the Lobo that would include a glass mouth piece/bowl attachment combo, similar to what the discontinued HR Fierce offered.

When there is enough Lobo units in circulation to justify the resources required, we could very well see this convection dominate accessory come to fruition if there is enough interest. The Lobo is a very capable hybrid vape as it is, why not up the ante on this little rocket to make it one of the most versatile vapes in the market. All Aboard!
blklobo2.png

Last edited:

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker

Without a deep dive into what that style does to the heat profile, I'm pretty sure there won't be any attempt to bring a mouthpiece like this to market for the Lobo for one big reason. It was an early stated goal to get a bigger bowl than the ONE, and the glass-stem-insert method reduces the size of the oven. I would have to have a glass wall thickness of 1.5 - 2mm for the stem to make it durable, and that would make the bowl smaller than the ONE. Just didn't want to keep some of you waiting...
You know... having a glass stem option doesn't make the bowl any smaller... The Lobo wouldn't change dimensions. It would only be an option for those that prefer stem loading. Similarly, having a bubbler attachment doesn't mean you can't swap it out and hit it dry. It's just an option.

If the right glass stem works well in the Lobo, then someone else will make it as an aftermarket add on.

One more thing, a glass stem could allow more herb to be filled upwards and match/exceed the original metal bowl size. That said, I have no idea how well it would vape, but it's possible. :)

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
You know... having a glass stem option doesn't make the bowl any smaller...
It does really because it would have to insert into the oven in order to place the herb near enough the heat source. Herb in a glass stem outside the oven won't get enough heat - it's only a small distance but enough to lower the convective heat applied to the herb.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It does really because it would have to insert into

Pretty sure they meant it doesn't remove your option to load the bowl directly so you still have the same size bowl available to you...? Anyway that was certainly noticeable with something like the Fury2 stems (tiny glass bowl I use with V3pro now) although I don't think it impacts much with the Fierce, pretty negligible difference in size of the bowl imo, and I doubt it would negatively affect anything here as an after accessory, some people might prefer smaller bowls too

OrsonWhales

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Orson! Would you mind telling me how you pack and hit the Lobo? And what temp(s) you use?

Thanks!
Jerry
I’ve tried loose packs. Slightly tamped packs. But never packed hard. I’m usually a low temp guy especially with a new vape. I hate the burnt taste to I always start low. 140c on the Alp for example. About 165 on the Mighty. So I ran the scale. I tried long draws and short mouth draws and while it put out vapor it wasn’t tastier or more dense until the end of the ramp where the vapor got denser but also more burnt tasting. To be fair a TM 1 is my daily driver. I really like the hand feel of the Lobo but it doesn’t fit a niche. I wanted to be a pocketable take to a concert piece, for discreetness. But the others outperform.

I’m more likely to send it back and grab a TM2 instead. I watched you and Troy’s video. That piqued my interest to buy. The no risk helped that. VAS is bad here. Thanks Jerry

Petetbay

Anybody got measurements or dimension on glass for this vape? I’m super interested in it and would love to potentially offer accessories for it.
I’ve been meaning to message you as this is the stuff you do, but I’ve been just testing to see if it’s a feasible way of using the Lobo with glass stems. I have 5 Fierce stems and need to double check the dimensions and how they fit. The bowl is suppose to be 13mm, I have a 12.8mm outside diameter for the Fierce stem, 12mm bowl depth on regular and 17mm depth on the XL version, 1.25mm glass thickness. Open glass tubes(no bowl glass screens) using the bucket screens ala Roffu is the way to go I think for less draw resistance, though the Fierce stems have 7 holes the holes are small and can be very restrictive and clog easily. I’ll get you the definite dimensions.
I’ve tried loose packs. Slightly tamped packs. But never packed hard. I’m usually a low temp guy especially with a new vape. I hate the burnt taste to I always start low. 140c on the Alp for example. About 165 on the Mighty. So I ran the scale. I tried long draws and short mouth draws and while it put out vapor it wasn’t tastier or more dense until the end of the ramp where the vapor got denser but also more burnt tasting. To be fair a TM 1 is my daily driver. I really like the hand feel of the Lobo but it doesn’t fit a niche. I wanted to be a pocketable take to a concert piece, for discreetness. But the others outperform.
Same conclusions I came to, but I didn’t want to give up on it so I’m keeping it.

Last edited:

Wake&VapeJake

First of all I bought the green lobo and a set of green glass. Everything came in one package and when I opened it, the lobo box was torn open at the top like some customs agent with no brain got a hold of it 🤨. Fortunately everything inside looked fine inside, the box is just broken, so OK whatever. Everything looks great, especially the Lobo it is Fucking Beautiful and it feels top-notch. I love the color and it’s actually a bit smaller in my hand than I expected. On the downside it’s a tad slick and no grooves or anything on the sides. In my head there’s a possibility of dropping it in the wrong situation.

OK onto the vape, For me I’m definitely not finishing a bowl in two or three hits like Troy and Jerry. I feel like I’ve got a better extraction at a darker roast and I don’t think I have the lung capacity that they do. That said the taste is great on those first few hits, then I start to feel like I’m racing the clock to finish up. I have used my buddies Mighty quite a bit and I always get that feeling of trying to race the clock there too. Come to think of it even when I was combusting I was never a Sesh mode type of guy. A lot of people love to pass that J around, me only in big parties lol. I have tried half packing the bowl, It all seems to clump at the top screen though. I’m thinking I need to start looking into on demand mode. I never gave it much thought but it might be time.

I’ve got to say the water pipe adapter is my favorite glass piece. I’ve never use the Mighty like that and I like it. The dimpled glass stems are fine. The small one is the only one I would use in public, and the bubble one looks cool and does a good job cooling. The curved bubbler does a good job cooling but I think it should have more airflow and chug a bit better, it’s my least favorite. I’d rather just grab the water pipe adapter and use a larger bubbler.

On a sidenote the dosing capsule is constructed very nicely very sturdy compared to the mighty. That material holds the heat for about twice as long though, Watch your hands.

In conclusion the Lobo definitely stands up quite well to the mighty and crafty. The removable battery, 20 more degrees in temperature, Glass pathway are all gravy. The vapor does feel a bit richer and tasty. Then maybe a bit harsher in the later hits. The mighty is a bit more fluffy. The Lobo really shines with that water pipe adapter though.😤😶‍🌫️😏

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Anybody got measurements or dimension on glass for this vape? I’m super interested in it and would love to potentially offer accessories for it.
What's up, bud? I still rock my pokeman glass with a terp slurper regularly on my stream!

The stock stems use a downstem that is 12mm OD and 25mm long. Put whatever gorgeous creation you come up with on top of that.

Fukinternet

A couple more notes on the lobo:

Is it just my device or does anyone else have a hard time with the triple click sometimes? I never have any issues with other vapes but sometimes i have a hard time turning it in even though i clearly clicked 3x. I really have to intently and clearly do the triple click for the lobo to register.

It also get pretty hot after a couple of sessions in succession, i feel like i need a sleeve for it?

wish the regular stem was a bit longer, could help with some harshness?

The included brush is garbage, way too stiff, can’t get anything cleaned with it

The fact that you need a poking stick to remove the mesh screen is not the most practical i guess

I wish it had a silicone cover to help with smell, protect the stem and make sure pocket lint doesn’t get in the stem when you pocket it

I would also be interested in getting a glass-loaded stem attachment like i have on my Fierce, even if that reduces the oven, i’m fine with that and can just vape an extra bowl if i want to ;)

Otter than that, still like it a lot

Jojofernz

Is it just my device or does anyone else have a hard time with the triple click sometimes? I never have any issues with other vapes but sometimes i have a hard time turning it in even though i clearly clicked 3x. I really have to intently and clearly do the triple click for the lobo to register.
Same thing happens to me a lot, been having to slow myself and focus on pressing it slow and intently like you said. Not sure if this has to do with the buttons being more recessed on the device or something?

It’s not a huge issue but a small annoyance haha and I hope it doesn’t get worse?

That’s how all my problems with this vape have been, so far. Pretty minor “annoyances” but nothing that affects the performance overall.

Except for maybe the biggest issue I’ve found, which still is more of a first world problem but this vape really does need the “right” pack. If I don’t get it just to that spot, it almost hardly even hits. And this is with dosing capsules which I thought would help.

It’s not even that hard and by now I’ve gotten the pack pretty much down but sometimes I pack the capsules when high/distracted/in a hurry and forget about the pack until I’m hitting the capsule and it’s not ripping so I either gotta bump to the top temps to get it going, or stop it, let it cool, and repack.

Other small annoyances are the timer not starting at temp, not even a real issue I either finish a bowl before the timer ends or I end and restart the session before anyway.

It also gets pretty hot after a few sessions back to back but not unholdable. A sleeve would be dope

And yeah I do not like the cleaning brush. Would not have really bothered me except the thinkdank where it was first showed off, Troy and Jerry made it seem like it was a high quality impressive tool. But it’s crazy hard, am I supposed to wet it or something haha? And a bunch of the hairs keep falling out, requiring me to clean with something else lol.

All very minor inconveniences really and overall I have been really enjoying the Lobo. Surprisingly great flavor and satisfying clouds, especially through a water pipe.

Top Bottom