Post-Processing Rosin - Your wish, after the squish

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm gonna bring up a different type of post-processing today. I'd like to discuss my current tincture experiment. I want to post-process my squished pucks by decarbing, grinding, and then doing an alcohol extraction. I've only tried making an alcohol extraction once before and the results were not too great. This time I've done a little more research and started my journey today.

I'd like to layout what my plan is and would welcome any comments from folks more knowledgable than me. I'd start with pucks at 240F for 20 minutes in the oven, grind up the pucks, store in freezer along with enough everclear (190 proof) to cover the herb, mix and keep in freezer for 1-2 hours, strain and coffee filter the tincture. Store in dark medicine dropper bottles in the fridge.

Is it better to decarb first then grind or the other way?

I already started the alcohol solution out by soaking my glass dynavap stem until clean. I'd add that to the total amount of alcohol when extracting.

I'd like to squeeze a dropper full under the tongue in the evenings. Enough to get a base going so I have still vape a bowl or two.

I don't think I would grind at all. It's been my experience that most of the rosin left on the pucks is on the surface. With a 60x loop, you can see it.

Break one in half and look at the cross section with the 60x. Just looks like dirt to me. No shiny rosin look.

And, I usually decarb for 40 minutes at 240F. Since the pucks have already been heated, 20 minutes might be enough. Try one batch at 20 minutes and one at 40 and see if you notice a difference. If you fall asleep with the 40 minute batch, it's too long and 20 is probably better.

Good luck. I never seem to have much luck with tincture. I have made it a bunch of times but I can never drink it or cook with it. The taste is worse than terrible. LOL

Good luck and keep up posted.

lazylathe

Almost there...
I have been experimenting with some post processing of home squished rosin.
I have it in a small concentrate jar and I left it like that in the hot garage for 3 days.
It puffed up and turned into a more creamy texture. Flavor improved a bit and potency seemed stronger.
Gave it a good stir to blend it all and its a smooth peanut butter consistency now.

After a bit of research I discovered most place the rosin in a jar and seal that when heating.
So the concentrate jar went into a mason jar that was sealed and back in thr garage for a day.
it was all glistening and moist on the surface and smelled a lot better. Will leave it there till Friday night to see the results.

For some info...
Stupid hot here at the moment...
35C and high and low humidity. Garage can reach around 40C and stay at that temp for a long time.

BabyFacedFinster

I have been experimenting with some post processing of home squished rosin.
I have it in a small concentrate jar and I left it like that in the hot garage for 3 days.
It puffed up and turned into a more creamy texture. Flavor improved a bit and potency seemed stronger.
Gave it a good stir to blend it all and its a smooth peanut butter consistency now.

After a bit of research I discovered most place the rosin in a jar and seal that when heating.
So the concentrate jar went into a mason jar that was sealed and back in thr garage for a day.
it was all glistening and moist on the surface and smelled a lot better. Will leave it there till Friday night to see the results.

For some info...
Stupid hot here at the moment...
35C and high and low humidity. Garage can reach around 40C and stay at that temp for a long time.

Let us know how it goes. I have found no rhyme or reason to what happens for any given rosin sample. Similar to your garage, I've left jarred rosin on the dabpress set to 110F for a few hours and had no results a few times and buddering only once.

Then you would think stirring when warm would mix in air for a fluffy factor. Nope, each time it looked good after mixing but returned to sap the next day. I think a lot depends on the material you use and the characteristics the sample has.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Here’s how I do it

79483-AEA-C017-4-AF4-8-DF9-5-CFF05147471.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Are we missing details here? :)

Yeah, but I just do the same techniques as everyone else so I’m not quite sure why some folks have mixed results. Possibly folks are heating too long and decarbing into sap instead of nucleating into budder/badder?

That said I don’t really mess with post processing anymore unless something is shatter-y and I want to turn it into an easier to scoop consistency like the photo above. My main interest in post processing is for rosin pens but according to Blue River it takes 6 grams of top colas to make one half gram cartridge so I pretty much gave up on that mission.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Yeah, but I just do the same techniques as everyone else so I’m not quite sure why some folks have mixed results. Possibly folks are heating too long and decarbing into sap instead of nucleating into budder/badder?

That said I don’t really mess with post processing anymore unless something is shatter-y and I want to turn it into an easier to scoop consistency like the photo above. My main interest in post processing is for rosin pens but according to Blue River it takes 6 grams of top colas to make one half gram cartridge so I pretty much gave up on that mission.

Interesting. Its not something I've really tried or felt the need to try, but maybe one day I will.

EDIT: @invertedisdead What do you put that lovely colour down to in the rosin pic you posted? Everything I press is varying shades of brown! :)

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Interesting. Its not something I've really tried or felt the need to try, but maybe one day I will.

EDIT: @invertedisdead What do you put that lovely colour down to in the rosin pic you posted? Everything I press is varying shades of brown! :)

Same here. Light brown if I'm lucky. @invertedisdead can you give us an idea of how long and what press temp got you that light of a color rosin? Pretty please.

lazylathe

Almost there...
After 3 days of being left in a hot garage, sealed inside a Mason jar.

20200707-165259.jpg

And today, after another 2 days it looks like this.

20200708-190133.jpg

Every time I have opened the jar, the rosin has expanded to almost fill the far, quite odd.
A quick whip and it has turned into this wonderfully smooth, very soft almost jam like in consistency.
It dabs well, tastes great, hits are powerful and it's home made!
This is the next revolution!

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
After 3 days of being left in a hot garage, sealed inside a Mason jar.

20200707-165259.jpg

And today, after another 2 days it looks like this.

20200708-190133.jpg

Every time I have opened the jar, the rosin has expanded to almost fill the far, quite odd.
A quick whip and it has turned into this wonderfully smooth, very soft almost jam like in consistency.
It dabs well, tastes great, hits are powerful and it's home made!
This is the next revolution!

Thats a colour I'm much more familiar with :)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Same here. Light brown if I'm lucky. @invertedisdead can you give us an idea of how long and what press temp got you that light of a color rosin? Pretty please.

Achieving color like that is generally more about using fresh starting material. I often press right after trimming and cure the rosin instead of curing flower and then pressing.:leaf:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Achieving color like that is generally more about using fresh starting material. I often press right after trimming and cure the rosin instead of curing flower and then pressing.:leaf:

Excellent. And was that a flower press or from a press of pre processed material, like ice water hash or sifting or something? Do you know the source of the flower it came from, and if they do hydro or organic?

Impertinent questions! :)

shredder

Ive pressed almost clear rosin twice now. Both were from buds dry enough to go in jars, but fresh. Both turned a pale yellow and buttered eventually. And both were loaded with terpenes. My last was from mantuska tundra, an otherwise unremarkable plant. I was dabbing it at 480F and it still had a terp bite for a few weeks. Now that it has mellowed and tastes better, but im still liking it at 480F.

As for a texture change in rosin I frequently get that when I store rosin in my man cave over time. I have multiple varieties but only dab once or twice daily. As it ages even stiff rosin relaxes and gets like a light grease. Even those that buttered. Not necessarily better imho but still useable. I'd rather load pens with butter, but either works. Dabbing older rosin is fine and sometimes mellower after the volatile terpenes have dissipated and what's left have matured.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Excellent. And was that a flower press or from a press of pre processed material, like ice water hash or sifting or something? Do you know the source of the flower it came from, and if they do hydro or organic?

Impertinent questions! :)

Pretty sure it was from flower, though I did press some sift the same day. :science: Its from Organic living soil. :leaf:

Like at full moisture content or there's a partial drying before pressing? Or maybe I should ask if you wet or dry trim?

Dry trim!

I guarantee dry trim :) Pressing wet material straight of the plant isnt gonna work.

Even after trimming it can sometimes still be a little wet to press, if so it’s fine to jar it up for a day or two if needed. If it’s too wet it will be impossible to collect anyways. IMO you don’t want to over-press when the flower is this fresh as is still has “plant juices.” (Think scissor hash)

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Even after trimming it can sometimes still be a little wet to press, if so it’s fine to jar it up for a day or two if needed. If it’s too wet it will be impossible to collect anyways. IMO you don’t want to over-press when the flower is this fresh as is still has “plant juices.” (Think scissor hash)

That last bit is why I was a bit over sure in my statement! :) Ive had experience of too wet and plant juices ruining a pressing.

shredder

Surest way for a blow out is wet flower ime.
I have tried it a few ways and prefer to press well cured and dried flower.
I just enjoy the smoothness and subtlety of flavors and seems much cleaner.
😻

Fresh and cured both have their place. Last time I pressed (super silver haze) I pressed older high quality buds with young pop corn buds from the same variety. The rosin came out real nice, nice enough to keep trying it again.

The earliest I press though is when they're ready for jars. Sooner than that though can get real messy.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Fresh and cured both have their place. Last time I pressed (super silver haze) I pressed older high quality buds with young pop corn buds from the same variety. The rosin came out real nice, nice enough to keep trying it again.

That's interesting cause I've had the same idea for a while about combining cured and fresh material for a true full spectrum! :science:

BabyFacedFinster

I just engaged in a different type of post processing. I finally did something with all my leftover swished pucks. After chopping them up I had about 16 grams of puck herb, which doesn't look like a lot. I decarbed it to be sure, then decided to make cannabis coconut oil with it.

This was my first attempt at making edibles and even though I've been vaping for 6-7 years, I have yet to try an edible anything. Now I read suggestions on how much ABV to oil and also ratios of unused herb to oil, but there were no potency ratios for herb that had a bunch of rosin squeezed out of it. I decided to go with a cup of oil to the 16g I prepared. I put it in a mason jar which sat in a hot water bath (crockpot set on low) for about 4-5 hours. It is now sitting in the fridge so it can solidify. I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

So what do you guys think? Does it sound like it might be potent or weak? I am a newb on this so I imagine I'll try a small blob on a piece of toast to see how strong it is. If that doesn't do it I'll double the amount the next day until I find a sweet spot. I guess I'm also posting this to see if someone is going to say, "damn Babyfaced, you really ate that?"

Wish me luck.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I just engaged in a different type of post processing. I finally did something with all my leftover swished pucks. After chopping them up I had about 16 grams of puck herb, which doesn't look like a lot. I decarbed it to be sure, then decided to make cannabis coconut oil with it.

This was my first attempt at making edibles and even though I've been vaping for 6-7 years, I have yet to try an edible anything. Now I read suggestions on how much ABV to oil and also ratios of unused herb to oil, but there were no potency ratios for herb that had a bunch of rosin squeezed out of it. I decided to go with a cup of oil to the 16g I prepared. I put it in a mason jar which sat in a hot water bath (crockpot set on low) for about 4-5 hours. It is now sitting in the fridge so it can solidify. I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

So what do you guys think? Does it sound like it might be potent or weak? I am a newb on this so I imagine I'll try a small blob on a piece of toast to see how strong it is. If that doesn't do it I'll double the amount the next day until I find a sweet spot. I guess I'm also posting this to see if someone is going to say, "damn Babyfaced, you really ate that?"

Wish me luck.
Only one way to know for sure.
🤔

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to guess the potency with stuff like that, hope you get a good one! That's why I only use rosin in my edibles as its fairly predictable IME. Also reclaimed oil makes great edibles, some of the most killer brownies I ever slapped together used some condensate that had accumulated in my quartz nail. It's essentially distillate. You can just melt it out by of your banger by chasing it out the joint using a small jet lighter.

Top Bottom