• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Please STOP using imgur

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The problem I was having, had to do with trying to open other people's pictures. Someone had some wood blanks posted that others could clearly see, that I am unable to see. It was an older post, so maybe that's the problem? The photos themselves were just pieces of wood to be turned. Thanks, Summer and cybrguy. :tup:
If it is posted on imgur you may be able to see it in the reply window if you reply to it. Most imgur posted pics can be seen this way if they weren't removed by the poster.

Summer

Long Island, NY

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Wow, I had no idea, dang.
There should be some notice printed above the image link input to avoid imgur.

Ok so
I see tinypic has no Android app.

Which Android app image uploader will display images inside of a forum post ?

I guess I can use my old friend Dropbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ Colonel Corn,
Reactions: cybrguy

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
OK, well,
What if tinypic doesn't work in 2 years ?

I realize now that most of my images in posts over the past 3-4 years now do not appear. Very frustrating. I should have used my own server the whole time, like I did on some of my images.

Man can only rely on himself these days.

DJ Colonel Corn,
Reactions: lookhigh

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Tiny pic seems to post my images sideways. No matter what i do. Also sometimes does no work on my phone.

Imgbb - could not get this to work. Others have.

We could do with a sticky with approved image hosts. To be honest i am a bit lost.

Edit: found it - now using postimage. Very easy to use.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm more worried about long term survival of these alternative services. For how long will they be around? Who is backing them? What is their business model? Is it viable? Will they hold our images hostage or just plain delete them at some point? Are there bandwidth restrictions? etc.

We already had our share of nightmares before imgur, and believe me, imgur was and still is a pretty good host (and our pictures are still there...)

KeroZen,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It doesn't mean dick to me that they are still there if I can't display them here. I have copies of anything I cared about so I am not concerned about losing them. I can not go back in to old posts and change the link so if the host goes toes up or blacklists us there is nothing we can really do. The only way to insure against this is if we host them ourselves, and FC doesn't want to do that. That is unfortunate, but it is what it is. While this group and the ability to post pics in it are great, this is not life or death or anything...

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You can see the ones you post because they are in your browser cache, but other people can't see them (you need to quote the message to make them appear but it's not a real solution) Unless you are blocking the referrer as proposed earlier in the thread?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
You can see the ones you post because they are in your browser cache, but other people can't see them (you need to quote the message to make them appear but it's not a real solution) Unless you are blocking the referrer as proposed earlier in the thread?

Yeah, I just used a browser add-on...and the ones that it don't automatically load with that can be loaded in a new tab or window. But the latter has always worked, since the start of the horrible terrible apocalyptic imgur fiasco.

Ramahs,
Reactions: KeroZen

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The browser addon kills the referrer header which makes it impossible to use secure websites. I don't think I want to screw up my browser just cause imgur folks are assholes, but maybe that's just me...

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Hmmmm. Odd. I haven't had any issue like that.

Ramahs,

Summer

Long Island, NY
Just got this message on imgur:

"Dear Imgurian,

After careful consideration, we have made the decision to shut down the logged-in Imgur mobile web experience for users in August 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a quality experience.

Uploading, commenting, voting, and all the magic of the internet will continue to be available on the desktop web version, as well as on the official Imgur apps.

We want to thank you for being part of Imgur, and we’d like to welcome your feedback about your mobile experience here."

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
We want to thank you for being part of Imgur, and we’d like to welcome your feedback about your mobile experience here."
I have written a "feedback" note to them more than once in my head. I started to type one once on a keyboard and it just didn't seem a worthwhile effort.

cybrguy,

lazylathe

Almost there...
@lookhigh @oddjobold

Just to update on tinypic....
I have been using it since imgur stopped working for us but when i went to upload an image yesterday, a notice popped up saying that tinypic is shutting down in October 2019 and to use Photobucket.

Time to find another hosting site for me!

Going to give imgbb a go! Thanks @JCat !

A quick test and to show off our new Border Collie puppy!!!
This is Darla!
20190629-193722.jpg

It works!! LOL!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Absolutely gorgeous puppy, congrats. Howdy Darla.

I think I will go with imgbb as well, though postimage is also a good one. Hard to guess which will survive longest.

The only way to be sure they will keep working is to host them ourselves, but the powers that be can't or won't.

If it were just possible to go back and change old links when forced to change hosters it would make it less annoying, but it is what it is.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
...and of course I've been using tinypic since the imgur debacle, so everything will be lost again soon... :doh:

I still think the easiest way to keep using imgur would be to make the classifieds section visible only to registered users and hide it from the crawler bots so it's no longer referenced.

Baron23

I believe that Imgur...and others cause it ain't just Imgur...isn't about FC at all.

Its about them being used to host pics that are displayed by 3rd party sites.

This site does NOT download and store the pics. That's the issue. I merely links to hosted storage on your image site.

So, they got tired of hosting stuff for free while having to pay for storage costs.

At least that's my understanding.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Like @Baron23 said, I can totally understand their stance. They are ok for non-profit and non-commercial hot-linking, but when they examined our forum, they found the classifieds section and for some reason deemed it was some form of commercial use (since money is exchanged against goods on this forum, I don't think they bothered to look any further)

We can argue that the decision is unfair and should be appealed, but they are a company and their TOS is quite clear about what can or can't be done with the bandwidth and hosting they pay for. Datacenter resources have a cost, 3rd party cloud service or not it's the same.

I don't know if they have some sort of paid-for account though? Maybe we could crowdfund some sort of unified and perennial FC account and have all pictures uploaded via that single shared account... but it's super naive, I know without being overly pessimistic that it would get abused in no time, sadly.

Top Bottom