Phase3 Vaporizers

Sultana lungs

Really enjoying this thread and thermodynamics science. I purchased ZX with pre-installed coil because I wanted to ensure tightest fit with no movement or twist around center post along with the Phase 3 glass bowl and then also pre-ordered Zirconia bowl. Received my ZX about a month ago and appreciate the design, smaller form factor, inverted contributions to the community, and looking forward to receiving the Zirconia bowl! Hope for super tight seal with the ZX and the herb sitting closer to the heater then the current glass bowl.

Tested the ZX at various temperatures from 425F to 600F to dial it in. Tested back-to-back on two different strains, medium grind, same material quantity (One full Old Head scoop), light tamp, stirring every hit or two, same draw speed and duration of each hit. To ensure consistent starting temperatures the entire vape (housing, balls, and coil) were left on for 10 minutes after PID reaching setpoint to allow all components to completely heat soak at the start of each bowl. I’m not getting much vapor density sub-450F. The ABV is a light green-tan below 500F, 500-550F provide an even greenish-brown ABV and above 550F the ABV starts to get brown with slight roast flavors.

With my 20mm coil powered B2 diffuser ball vape, my sweet spot is to target 2 hit full extraction, with the Titanium bowl heat soaked prior to a fresh load at about 645F on the PID. This provides a super quick extraction that is dab like in intensity of flavor and vapor. While the first hit does roast the top of the bowl, no roast flavors are introduced to the pallet during the secondary weak clean up hit which leaves a fully extracted bowl and super dark brown ABV with no stirring required.

With the ZX I am still trying to dial in the high temperature 2 hit extraction. Raising the temperature to 575F+ does milk the glass but starts getting more roast on the top center of bowl and due to the depth of the 14mm glass bowl being deeper than wide, it requires stirring to evenly extract the bottom portion of the bowl which introduces the roasted flavors throughout the second and third hit that I am trying to avoid. Higher temps will give denser vapor and allow to ride the line closer to the edge but the compromise in flavor is not worth the quicker extraction to me personally. I think the two-hit dab like extraction can be done by bringing the load closer to the heater with reduce load depth. Once I receive the Phase3 Zirconia bowl, I can revisit this, as it sits 33% closer.

475F:​

475F brings out a crisp flavor that is lost at higher temperatures with a focus on the terpenes with discernable strain specific notes, 85% extraction leaving behind some desirables after 5 hits, ABV was mostly light-green with some hints of light brown. (450F is great at preserving the crisp flavor but takes way too long to finish a bowl and doesn’t fully extract all the desirables.)

I stepped up the PID to 550F to see if I can extract more vapor; I got another 2 hits from the same bowl with very faint generic herb taste, no roast, decent vapor, ABV was 45% light-green / 55% light-brown. Closer to 90% extracted after 7 hits.

475F temp ramp to 550F: (1) 475, (1)490, (1) 515F, (1) 540F, (1) 550F​

This is where the ZX really shines and brings out all the flavorful nuances with the 475F to 550F ramp throughout the 5 hits of the bowl, starting crisper and purer terpene focused to more fast-onset potent yet flavorful hits to the end, while achieving about 90% extraction producing a brown to light brown ABV.

525F:​

First two hits with a fresh bowl and heat soaked ZX at 525F creates thick dense vapor with a quick onset and got a nice consistent flavor profile from beginning to end of the bowl with remaining 3 hits giving diminishing vapor as the hits progressed. This is a great daily setup for a balance between flavor and quick extraction without fiddling with temp ramping. Closer to 90% extraction after 5 hits per bowl with a gold-light brown ABV.

My current daily setup is at 525F for the ZX but I do enjoy the 475F to 550F temp ramp from time to time. Cannot wait for the Zirconia bowl!
I’m also at 525 and also use an old head scoop but only 1/3 I try for one and done like the old bic days
Love the ZX. So much so that I ordered a second a few days ago for our basement HT, along with a 2nd coil/pid from Vgoodiez (since phase3 was oos on the kits). I got tired of moving the kit up and down floors, and happy to help inverted keep the doors open.

I don't know if other ballers are this convenient, but I can use the ZX in any female 14mm joint I've tried so far. It basically works as easy as a lighter/pipe in this way, just with a 3 minute warm-up. No need for re-heating in between. Normally use it through a waterpipe, but straight into a sherlock works great too! We use it at 500f all the time, but we could go less if we wanted. Wife's tiny lungs has an easier time at that temp :)

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
I use a 14mm joint with a screen set high so the bottom of the injector touches the herb, 488 on the Auber almost always does the trick for me. I sometimes go both higher and lower but mostly right at 488.

The stock bowl is too deep for me.

Sultana lungs

I use a 14mm joint with a screen set high so the bottom of the injector touches the herb, 488 on the Auber almost always does the trick for me. I sometimes go both higher and lower but mostly right at 488.

The stock bowl is too deep for me.
I’m trying your method tonight thanks for that

gxk

I use a 14mm joint with a screen set high so the bottom of the injector touches the herb
Interesting, what kind of screen are you using? The included 1/2" screens sit about 75% of the way down the joint for me, 17mm deep. Are you getting a screen to sit higher somehow? The next size up that I tried, 5/8", does not fit in the joint at all.

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
I found some old rimless basket screens that fit perfectly. I don’t know how to make them but I’m going to have to learn soon as I’ll run out in a couple of months. I had them from an old vape - I don’t recall which one.

Here are some images. To make basket screens for 14mm joints I think 3/4” at least is needed. The extra folded rim helps hold the screen. Also, all my 14mm joints are frosted which also helps since the screen can hold onto the surface better. Make sure to scroll to see both images one out of the joint and the other seated. Every now and then it comes loose then I clean it and bend out the edges a little or eventually I replace it. Only have a few original ones left.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
More zirconia bowls in stock on the website!
Existing ZX owners send me a message and I'll send you a code to get them for the preorder price.

Thanks so much for your support!
Labels, boxes, and screens have all shipped my way and I'll be fulfilling all pending orders as soon as those land here!

ZX's back in stock on the site as well! I'm still out of glass bowls for now, trying to restock those as soon as possible.

Reach out if there's anything at all I can assist with, thanks all and happy vaping!

💚 Ryan

gxk

Thanks @madhockeydad I suspected you might be using a basket screen. I like the cleanliness of the flat screen in the Phase3 bowl, but I'm curious to experiment with lower temps at closer distance. I imagine having the basket facing up might reduce green ring, though that is not a big problem with the ZX.

I'm still out of glass bowls for now, trying to restock those as soon as possible.

Good to hear, I'm in for some spares. Love the clean look of the glass bowls, worth the cost compared to the other options available right now IMO.

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
Honestly soaking the joint with the basket screen in ISO overnight cleans it up perfectly including along the folded edge. Sometimes I take it out of the joint and other times I clean it and then use it without removing it. No buildup for me once I clean it.

I use a small container of ISO so the joint is fully submersed. Nothing special and then rinse with HOT water. The hot water I find to be key as it cleans out the joint and screen better than cold water.

gxk

Yeah I'm very used to the routine from using the E-nano for years, agreed it's not bad at all. One of the lowest maintenance options around. With a flat screen I can q-tip out a Phase3 bowl right at my desk, stays clean all day, iso optional. I had surgery recently and anything that saves getting up is nice. Still I'll try making a basket screen to fit, I've noticed some benefits moving the stock screen as close as I can.

I just opened my ZX bowl, the dark metallic appearance of this zirconia is rad. Sci-fi vape. Happy to have this one in the collection.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Yep. Yep. Yep. Propane.

I mean, yep, Z bowl is good. If I had 3 more seconds of lung capacity it’s one hittable for me @385 on the DC. And tasty, obviously one hitting or nearly there are going to be some roasty notes, but a strong terp profile still shone through. I use mostly 18mm glass so I just used my original Z glass bowl as a passthrough.

@invertedisdead whats the OD say 5/8 up the body? I’m thinking of grabbing a silicone band off Amazon as a grip.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yep. Yep. Yep. Propane.

I mean, yep, Z bowl is good. If I had 3 more seconds of lung capacity it’s one hittable for me @385 on the DC. And tasty, obviously one hitting or nearly there are going to be some roasty notes, but a strong terp profile still shone through. I use mostly 18mm glass so I just used my original Z glass bowl as a passthrough.

@invertedisdead whats the OD say 5/8 up the body? I’m thinking of grabbing a silicone band off Amazon as a grip.

I'm already on it and got some ordered on the way to experiment with in 16 and 17MM! 17MM ID would put it right about where you're asking; I ordered both sizes in case I need to try a stack. Honestly I haven't had any problems with heat buildup natively when used for true one hitting, but due to the ultra low profile design it does get a bit warmer than anticipated if you leave the heater on for multiple hits. This seems to keep the bowl pretty clean though so far. If the O rings work well I'll figure out a way to get some out to everybody whose supported.

I've only been using the BowlZ lately, it's such a fast extraction, probably the best true one hitter experience I've had in my vaping career.

Here's a good comparison of just how low profile the BowlZ truly is

H4cjSPwTw175.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
How about a stainless ring with a screw hole for a handle. That would look nice!

I was trying to go for more of an ambidextrous option, we'll see how it "handles!"

I'm really looking forward to trying the bowlZ!

I'm also thinking about a handle solution... Could you give the OD of the bowl at the top and bottom of the bowl section please? I'm thinking a glass ring with a handle much like the existing bowl that the new one could slip into?

Can't wait to hear what you think of it! It's 16.2MM to 18MM :wave:

Disorderly Conduction restock on the way! More coils, controllers and stands coming very soon!
My glassblower is going to knock out more glass adapters for me, hopefully have those in next week.
More ruby pearls are on the way, I have a couple ZX's in stock right now but I'll have a bunch of them once I have more beads to assemble some kits.

Pretty much restocking everything so should be good to go for anything!

Thanks so much everyone

Top Bottom