PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
To be 'clear', I'm not trying to imply that the PBW is responsible for the cloudy film on my ion. I don't know how it got there. I just want it to go away.

:peace:
I've got the answer for you Stu. You should just send that damned old, stained Mobius piece to me to get it out of your sight. :nod:

In all seriousness, looking at your pics, it almost looks like a water line. Especially the first one. And you can see splashes against the walls. I think this is old deposit.

It's very possible that PBW isn't enough for older stains, but I would keep trying. On a straight tube, like HES', I would try a large aquarium brush. The bristles are soft enough that they wont scratch the glass. I used one on my straight tube to get at a resin spot under an ice pinch that wouldn't budge, no matter what I did. I just swished it at the end of the dwell time while the PBW solution was still in the tube, then gave it a super hot and long rinse. It worked beautifully.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think you're right, mom (about the stains....NOT about me sending away my precious bub.... nice try, tho :p)

All the cloudiness comes from above the water line, so that's the big clue. I just let it soak in 99% iso for a couple of hours, and although it looked incredibly clean immediately afterward, the clouds returned upon full evap. :(

I'm tired of cleaning for now. Time to spend more time vaping, less time being anal about shit like that. :nod:

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
On a straight tube, like HES', I would try a large aquarium brush. The bristles are soft enough that they wont scratch the glass. I used one on my straight tube to get at a resin spot under an ice pinch that wouldn't budge, no matter what I did. I just swished it at the end of the dwell time while the PBW solution was still in the tube, then gave it a super hot and long rinse. It worked beautifully.

I think this will end up being the solution for my issue. it seems like only some type of mechanical action will be able to remove the stain since. i'll take a look for an aquarium brush next time i take a trip to the store. thanks for the tip Mom.

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Reactions: ogcook

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Stu, Stu, Stu... don't send it to mom. While it might be appreciated... who else is going to give it the love AND the attention/limelight it needs to be exposed to?

I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. :cool:

BigDaddyVapor,

Tweek

I tried the suggestion above to add more and soak longer and it worked really well. I had an old EHLE tube that was caked with old resin from my smoking days, and I put a few heaping tablespoons in and let it soak for a good 4-5 hours. Came out sparkling.

LetsAllMeltDownTogether

I had the best results with multiple 20 minutes hot water soaks and a quick shake, then a hot water rinse, before shaking with vinegar and/or iso. I have very hard water so I'm used to the cloudy film around and above the water line. A second or third soak with a little lighter concentration of pbw did the trick on the film/wax/minerals for the first time ever.

LetsAllMeltDownTogether,
Reactions: Roger D

Bouldorado

IMG_20130204_153208.jpg

I've had this piece for several months now and typically clean by rinsing with hot water and shaking with ISO, or rinsing with hot water and running simple green through it. However, lately I've realized that these methods don't clean the mouthpiece very well, thanks to the splash guard. I tried capping the mouthpiece, inverting the piece, and shaking with ISO/salt, but that had zero effect. I know the "haziness" (probably hard water) isn't permanent because I stuck a towel in the mouthpiece and it came right off. The towel only works above the splashguard, hence the stripe, so I'll need to soak it in something. I plan on picking up some white vinegar for a soak, but is CLR, PBW, or some other chemical worth looking into?

Bouldorado,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
For hard water stains I have good sucess with CLR, and weak acids, but we have really good water here. I would suggest you start with something easy and cheap, like vinegar, see the results, and work up as necessary.

I want everyone in this thread to know that I am wracking my brain to try and solve Stu's problem, even though I am in the midst of a personal crisis right now. But Stu I would try a stronger acid, at your level of comfort, we might be looking back at pool & spa chemistry to remove this final filth layer you have. Acid magic is where I would go, but I know that is a step, I wish I had a piece of glass that had this problem so I could help more . . . This chemical is not for use by fools . . . he pops the yolk out @ 3:15

http://www.certol.com/AcidMagicHome.aspx

http://www.certol.com/pdf/Industrial MSDS/ACID Magic MSDS.pdf

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
t-dub, please don't worry about my first world "problem". Take care of yourself, and your stuff....I've got plenty of good glass that sparkles and that makes me happy. :)

When you have time later on, and if you were willing, maybe I could let you try your hand at cleaning it? I dunno, but maybe if you saw it in person that it would help. :shrug:

Take care,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Stu,

Give some denture cleaning tablets a try. They have been working wonders on my bubbler I use for combustion. My last go I could actually see the resin being slowly lifted off. Maybe mix in some vinegar for good measure.

I'm reading they will remove mineral deposits on vases where the water evaporates, ;). And they also work on shower heads, he he.

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I got a second hand bubbler yesterday. You could see the owner was careful and wash everyday. But he was using "classic" bong washing products. Glass was clear but the water was kind of sticking inside, you could see a lot of water drops sticking and it was "fog friendly".

It took me 5 warm soak and rinse with heavy percarbonate + calgon ratio. It removes everything, everywhere, on any material, without damaging it. I cleaned the whole house with this, including filthy stuff, the kind of stuff I was planning to put in the garbage thinking it was impossible to clean. I got them bright like new with the product and a small toothbrush.

After days of cleaning almost everything you can think about with, I can say percarbonate with anti scale agent is my ultimate cleaner

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Anyone think PBW will cause any trouble for the non-stick lining on a frying pan?

I've got my infamous soaking right now, and I'm looking at some tough stains lying around and finding myself tempted to take the PBW and go "Roger D" on my apartment… :goon:

It removes everything, everywhere, on any material, without damaging it. I cleaned the whole house with this, including filthy stuff, the kind of stuff I was planning to put in the garbage thinking it was impossible to clean. I got them bright like new with the product and a small toothbrush.

After days of cleaning almost everything you can think about with, I can say percarbonate with anti scale agent is my ultimate cleaner

nopartofme,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Anyone think PBW will cause any trouble for the non-stick lining on a frying pan?

PBW is notorious for ruining Teflon pans. Why? Not because it hurts the Teflon directly, but because it dissolves the adhesive used to "Bond" the Teflon to the pan. I have used PBW with magnetic Teflon stir bars with no problem for quite some time now.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
PBW is notorious for ruining Teflon pans. Why? Not because it hurts the Teflon directly, but because it dissolves the adhesive used to "Bond" the Teflon to the pan. I have used PBW with magnetic Teflon stir bars with no problem for quite some time now.
Just what I was worried about. Thanks for the tip!

nopartofme,
Reactions: t-dub

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I could be way off base, but I remember a post where a forum member said the doctor told him he had gotten an infection due to using hot water.

So is this safe or not? Does anyone have any input? Thanks.

100% safe if done properly. I never use the same water for more than 6 hours, and it is home made distillate water, purified under my supervision. If that wasn't enough I add my organic resin blocking and preservative concentrate to the solution (again home made for QC). I also clean every of my tools and parts as much as I can.

If you don't pay constant attention I think it is really easy to get infected.

In fact, it took me years to realize that hygiene is a huge variable in the experience

For everyday clean, I use hot water with sodium bicarbonate. Safe and easy.

For heavy cleaning, I use burning hot water with percarbonate + zeolites + polycarboxylates. I Always wear protection gloves and goggles.

At every rinse, I put a dozen sprays of rinse additive : Citric acid 20% + vegetable glycerin 20% + purified water. It keeps hard water traces away like nothing else (the VG makes the CA persist). You can use vinegar as a simpler but less effective alternative.

I only use the hot part of the tap water, if not, purified water.

My updated routine. I think it is relevant here too

Top Bottom