Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeWorld

vapor.com (formerly VapeWorld.com)
Retailer
so just got off the chat on plooms website, the rep told me that the pax was made in south china near hong kong, the factory is not owned by ploom and the modelOne and pax are not made at the same factory. when i pre ordered from vapeworld they told me returns would be handled through ploom, when i asked the ploom rep today they said any returns would be through the distributor, they would only handle warrenty repairs

can anyone from vapeworld shine some light on the return policy

Vape World will handle returns for any Pax purchased through us. Warranties can be handled by either Vape World or Ploom. Thanks for your interest. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
SliM, I like your comment about how you use both the Pax and DaVinci while out and about. I assume you do this due to the conduction properties of the Pax, but there is probably more to it, yes?

stickstones,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Here is my reasoning for why I tend to bring both:

The first reason is the load size. I like the load size on the PAX more. It gets me to where I need to be and it does it in the same amount of time the DaVinci would take.
The second reason is the vapor heat. I can be a wimp when it comes to dry/hot vapor. The PAX is like a joint in that it is hot and dry, I was not a big joint smoker they irritate my throat... any dry vaporizer irritates my throat. The DaVinci irritates it a little less then the PAX.

I don't mind the throat irritation from the PAX when I am trying to medicate to my preferred level. One bowl from the PAX is less irritating then three from the DaVinci. When I am medicated enough though, and I just wan to boost or maintain. I find the DaVinci works with one session, and is a little less harsh on the throat. So for the maintenance or boosting sessions I reach for the DaVinci.

If I use the DaVinci and I only do one bowl at a time I can last about 45 mintues before I want to do another bowl. If I am using the PAX I can last about an hour and a half sometimes two hours. Here is a good example of my usage preference.

I am on my way to the ballet: On the way there I will start using the PAX about 15 mintues before we arrive at the parking garage. I am done by the time we are parked. Usually the ballet has 2 sometimes 3 intermissions. I will medicate during each intermission... it is the only way I can sit in those chairs, they kill my bad back. I know that it will be about 45 minutes to an hour before the next intermission. During intermission, I will go out and use the DaVinci. On the way home if I need to medicate again, I would probably use the PAX... otherwise I would wait to get home and use something at home.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
thanks SliM! I would need two or three vapes to make it through a ballet as well!

hehehe I assume most poeple would need them not for the same reason as I... but simply because it is a ballet. :rofl:

I have season tickets to the Ballet, Opera, and the 5th Ave Theatre (Which mostly does Musicals) All the seats KILL my back.. I swear they were designed by a sadist.

monacokid

HIGH ABV
thank for the insight SliM im sure this gives buyers a better idea of what they should buy when it comes to the pax and davinci, especially sense they are at the same price point, and 2012 products. i was highly considering the davinci before i saw the pax, but decided not to buy it only because i would find the loading and cleaning of bowl very irritating due the design of the product with the hinge on the top part of the unit

monacokid,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Minus the issue with the lid not opening all the way, which I have mostly gotten used to. I find the DiVinci easier to load. Simply because the loading chamber has a cone like shape to it. It helps move everything down in to the bowl/oven area easier. The PAX has 90 degree angles in the bowl/oven area. This means you have to kind of push and nudge everything until it falls into the oven. I use a water proof key-chain pill holder and I just tap that along the of my device till the appropriate amount of ground flowers falls out. It is easier to load the DaVinci on the go then it is the PAX when you are in a moving vehicle.

When it comes to cleaning the lid of the DaVinci can get in the way, and the PAX is a little easier to clean overall.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: vape4life

BCVapo

I'm sorry if this was covered earlier, but do you find any times the oven cover pops off unwanted? In your pocked, against things? Is it solidly attached when closed? Seems sketchy just depending on magnets. How is that aspect? Are the magnets strong enough to mess with a cell or flashdrive in your pocket?
Also, watching the vid, it looks like the oven cover is fairly thin. Does it get hot? Is there insulation? Thanks.

BCVapo,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The oven has never came off accidentally. They magnets do a good job. I keep mine in my front shirt pocket. I don't like to keep it in a pocket with a bunch of other stuff, because I am worried it will scratch my devices. The magnets are not strong enough to affect other electronics. The oven lid does get warm but it cools off quickly. You can also generally hold it by the plastic parts which are cooler.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: JoeKickass

BCVapo

Great, thanks. I'm very tempted to buy one, but the price is a bit high to impulse purchase, heh.

BCVapo,

ACE OF VAPE

Vape outside the box
Manufacturer
Yeah but thats on gizmodo. The national enquirer of digital tech news publications.

So I wouldn't put much into posts on that site. I mean it very well could be the case but I want to hear it from someone other than gizmodo, because their bread and butter is posting glowing reviews for products they get money for, and bad reviews of products that don't.

I got what I considered a 'glowing review' and I didn't pay them a dime.http://gizmodo.com/epicvape-ev_2/

Sorry to go off thread...

Andy@epicvape

ACE OF VAPE,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I have really enjoyed mine. If you need a portable that delivers a larger dose then this is one of the better options. I still have a very hard time choosing between my DaVinci and the PAX. They both have different strengths and weakness.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Yes, in general I have liked the PAX more then the Solo. Especially for portable use. I know it does not bother some, but I don't like the glass stems in public. Ed's Wooden tubes improve that. I just prefer the performance of the PAX over the Solo. The solo can be good for sitting on the couch and puffing while you watch TV. In that department some people might like the Solo more... you have more temperature control.

The PAX reminds me of smoking a joint. If you like to puff on a joint then I think you would enjoy the PAX. The form factor, and vapor density/temperature just seem similar to the ritual/process of smoking a joint/blunt.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

vape4life

Banned for life
Assuming then that the Solo busts out bigger denser vapour? Higher temp end temp on the Solo?

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
And what about the taste in comparison? The Solo initially provides the best test I have ever experienced in any vaporizer including my precious Cloud. I think it has to do with the short airpath or lack of SS mesh easy load bowl. However it does eventually get to popcorn taste (which my Cloud never does!) and especially when the flowers make contact with the SS bowl.

Since the Pax is primarily a conduction based vape, how is the taste in comparison? Specifically at the upper temp when you are getting those massive clouds? I assume due to conduction (the flowers actually touching the oven, unlike the solo) that it would have a stronger more popcorny type taste?

Also again on the airflow, I know you say it's pretty restrictive and just a little better than the stock solo stems (aroma tubes). What about the pax vs the new Planet Vape HES'? Who would be the winner there since they have 1/3rd better airflow than a stock solo stem.

thanks again for all your help and info on this new badboy! :)

vape4life,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The taste is really good for the first 1/2 of the session. It progressively gets more ABV as you go along. The more you stir the longer you can prolong the taste before it starts to get that ABV quality. The two medium/high temps don't change the taste much... just how quickly it turns to ABV. I prefer the taste of the PAX over the Solo. I have the M107. It has always had that "robot fart" thing most poeple talk about. It has gotten better, but never quite went away.

The airflow is a little more restricted then the PVHES or Eds Stems. I could compare the PVHES or Eds Stems to the DaVinci in terms of airflow. I would say it is in the middle in terms of resistance if you compare the PAX to the Solo Default Stem and the PVHES.

Any more questions feel free to ask. I should have the video review done by this weekend... I hope. If have any more questions, they might make their way into the review.

Slightly Medicated,

passthecheese

I have a pretty trivial question SliM. Is it difficult to remove the mouthpiece to change the temp? I'm kind of a nail bitter and sometimes have a difficult time getting a fingernail into small openings like that. Are you able to just pull it?

passthecheese,

vape4life

Banned for life
Thanks again SliM, you are the bomb! Airflow is huge for me, so it's encouraging to hear (for me) that the pvhes has better airflow since i'll be aquiring them asap. The pax sounds so awesome though, especially since you like it better than the solo and I know forsure it's way stealthier. So, I think I might be sold.

For your M107, did you first run many 12 min. cycles on temp 7? I've owned 2 M107's and 1 M1D and that inital burn off always went away and i'm very anal and particle about weird smells and tastes. They produced only the purist of vapours with initial tastes being better than my Cloud IMO.

vape4life,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
There is a little lip thing on the back of the mouthpiece. You can pull it up from there. If you have any nail at all it will work. I just cut mine real short and it can still take it off with out much hassle. I thought taking the mouthpiece off to change the temperature would be annoying. It is pretty simple and easier to do then I thought.

Check out this video at like 40 seconds I show the part I am taking about:

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Thanks again SliM, you are the bomb! Airflow is huge for me, so it's encouraging to hear (for me) that the pvhes has better airflow since i'll be aquiring them asap. The pax sounds so awesome though, especially since you like it better than the solo and I know forsure it's way stealthier. So, I think I might be sold.

For your M107, did you first run many 12 min. cycles on temp 7? I've owned 2 M107's and 1 M1D and that initial burn off always went away and i'm very anal and particle about weird smells and tastes. They produced only the purist of vapours with initial tastes being better than my Cloud IMO.

I don't remember how many I did. I lost count. It has gotten better, but I still kind of taste it. I think I am really sensitive about that though. I have never owned a vaporizer that I did not taste something from the device. most of the time it is nothing noxious or harmful.

I have TMJ some sometimes it can flair up and I can have trouble opening my jaw wide enough without pain. Pulling hard on pieces can hurt the jaw as well... I actually am in the middle of a flair up. I have not had much issues with the PAX and increasing TMJ pain. I am drawing it a little differently now though. Instead of solid long draw I am doing a MFLB kind of draw where you puff puff puff on it till you get a big mouth full of vapor. There is less resistance that way. Reminds me of a cigar.

Slightly Medicated,

vape4life

Banned for life
But the Pax is "smellier" correct? You can smell it as it's warming up? in that sense I would think the solo would be more discrete.

vape4life,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
This is another thing where I think my sensitive senses tend to me me notice stuff. I think all of the portables smell when they are warming up. The Solo does smell less, if you don't put the stem in the device while it is pre-heating. You could also let the PAX heat up an then load it. I suppose that would prevent the warming up odor.

My partner has felt like the PAX smells less when it is heating up then the DaVinci. I have not asked about the Solo though. His sense of smell is less then mine though.

I think the odor issue can be hard to discuss because it is all so relative. I also think proactive cleaning helps with any portable.

Sorry to sound wishy-washy about the odor thing... I am still kind of trying to figure out the best wait to quantify odor in a consistent/comparable fashion.

Slightly Medicated,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom