Pain Management - how do you cope?

shredder

Hi everyone, just dipping back into the conversation. I have a constant, it seems, fluctuation between micro- and macro-dosing for pain depending on how miserable I am. I'm transiting out of a "less miserable micro" regime to a "oh fuck me lets do some serious macrodosing" regime. My neurological movement disorder (SPS) is playing hell with the nerves, muscles, and joints last couple of weeks. What I've learned about relearning macrodosing this week:
  • a combination of ABV-based edibles, a mix of THC, CBD, and CBG cannabis through convection vapes, oilpens, and dabbing can add up to some serious macrodosing
  • It doesn't actually treat the pain very well for me (except neuropathic pain, for which the THC:CBD:CBG combo is golden), but it helps and is very distracting
  • most importantly from last week: do not take diphenhydramine along with my primary meds and cannabis! EVER (except under direct medical supervision)
The primary medications to treat my symptoms are benzos and muscle relaxers. I've learned to balance the benzos, muscle relaxers, and cannabis so that I'm mostly functional most of the time. Well, turns out adding nighttime cold medicine to the mix ain't smart: my wife couldn't wake me last night and nearly called 911. She was shaking and yelling and totally freaked out because my nap became... deep sleep. Or something.

Anyhow, the other thing I'm working on this week is transitioning back to macro-dosing and dealing with the whole "being high" part of cannabis. I'm not a big fan of being high (although I'll take couchlock stoned any day when the pain is bad), which I know is weird, but it's true. Turns out diphenhydramine, benzos, and cannabis also makes me really high sigh.

What do you all do when the chronic or acute pain gets really bad? Does anybody else try to minimize the whole getting high part of getting high? If so, how do you manage that (other than tolerance building, which I've neglected for the last month or two)?

I've been experimenting with making cbn. Cbn is made when CBD and THC degrade. Most likely your abv is full of it.

It may be something that can help you. It's very couch lucky, and seems to good for pain along with sleep (my main reason for using it). 5mg of cbn is said to equal 10mg of Valium.

Good luck with your health!

Robert-in-YEG

I've been experimenting with making cbn. Cbn is made when CBD and THC degrade. Most likely your abv is full of it.

It may be something that can help you. It's very couch lucky, and seems to good for pain along with sleep (my main reason for using it). 5mg of cbn is said to equal 10mg of Valium.

How are you making CBN?

Can you share or explain the process?

Thanks

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

How are you making CBN?

Can you share or explain the process?

Thanks

Robert-in-YEG

Remember I don't have a lab, and I'm just experimenting.

My last attempt was to run sift hash through my nova fx 3 times, freezing in-between.

My previous attempt was to bake feco at 300° for an hour.

Neither was tested by a lab. Both were made into capsules. 50mg for the feco and 45mg for the sift hash.

Both were made for sleep aids.

The sift hash works better for sleep. The feco isn't great for sleep, but for a long couch lock type narcotic type effect with an active mind, it works well.

In the past I've made capsules for sleep using herb as well with some success, and some misses. The best I've made was from oil made from abv, but I don't vape herb anymore.

There isn't a lot of data on this, no formula to follow that I know of. I'm trying to make something that I can replicate over and over.

I have seen where you can buy CBN, but I have never ordered any myself.

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb

Hey, thanks for the good thoughts! I think my morning edibles derived from ABV tends to be very high in CBN. I wish I had the funds to get things tested for real; I'd love to know what my little 7.4mL cocobudder blocks have in them. Once I water cure the ABV, I tend to really cook it for a while with the explicit desire to degrade some of the THC and CBD leftover into CBN.

I'll say this for (my) ABV based edibles: they work a lot better than the ones I get from the dispensary. I've tried different combos of distillate-based gummies and chocolates, from straight THC or CBD to 1:1:1 combos with CBG (someone out there has been paying attention to the online community that talks about this combo for pain; it's showing up in my local dispensary!). They don't actually work very well for me, kind of like oilpens (although I still use both edibles and oilpens). Or they do work, but not in the way I was expecting. Instead of making me mellow, taking the pain down a notch, and relaxing me, edibles (from the dispensary) tend to do absolutely nothing for my pain right until the dosage gets large enough that I am unbearably high for much longer than I ever want to be. I learned to hate edibles during the early part of my MMJ journey.

My (presumably heavy CBN) edibles, on the other hand, are fantastic at taking the edge off, slowing down the anxiety and pain without knocking me out or making me high... I can feel effects, but it's not the kind of effects I learned to hate from the dispensary. I still avoid those kind of distillate-based edibles. I know they work for some people, but not I.

Amusingly enough, I take valium as part of my daily neurological meds. It's pretty effective. I'll have to try ramping up the CBN and see if I can't get a similar effect at higher doses.

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
I have a very specific pain I get nearly every day, worse when I have been active, in my legs. It's neurological from spinal stenosis, and while weed is very helpful, for me nothing really works as well as opiates - until I found RSO.

I just got my med card a few weeks ago, and tried everything, but wow, RSO stops my leg pain like an opiate. Regular distillates don't seem to work the same, and vaping flower dulls the pain for a short time, but RSO stopped it.

My favorite option is an RSO "tincture", which is nothing more than RSO dissolved in oil with a touch of peppermint flavor. The MUV dispensary had it. One dropper full tastes good and doesn't get stuck in my teeth. The fat in the oil is also supposed to speed absorption.

My next project is to try and make my own oil tincture with some of the full strength RSO syringes I have.

MegaMan2k

I find pretty much anything concentrated takes the pain for a good amount of time
I use for migraines and cluster headaches, well it cant really do anything to the cluster headaches if i already got a seizure going but it does seem to help me stay in remission for longer periods at a time. For the migraine i feel like it can reduce the pain like 80-90% which most of the time is good enough for me. I usually dab rosin if i have serious pain of any sort, large dabs at low temp.

Robert-in-YEG

Any luck with mushrooms?
Seen some studies and stories of success with those.
Here in Canada, most of the grey-market websites also sell psylosibum. It is NOT legal, but it seems to be widely ignored.

You are right in that there is some very promising research.

I cannot, and will not, advise anyone to use an illegal substance. What I will offer as advice is, talk to your doctor, do your research and proceed with caution. However, when it comes to mushrooms/psylosibum, or other hallucinogenic, exercise and extra helping of caution, and a double helping of 'Talk to your doctor'.

Robert-in-YEG

“Doctors?" said Ron, looking startled. "Those Muggle nutters that cut people up?”
~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Here in Canada, most of the grey-market websites also sell psylosibum. It is NOT legal, but it seems to be widely ignored.

You are right in that there is some very promising research.

I cannot, and will not, advise anyone to use an illegal substance. What I will offer as advice is, talk to your doctor, do your research and proceed with caution. However, when it comes to mushrooms/psylosibum, or other hallucinogenic, exercise and extra helping of caution, and a double helping of 'Talk to your doctor'.

Robert-in-YEG

“Doctors?" said Ron, looking startled. "Those Muggle nutters that cut people up?”
~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Well I hope Canadian doctors are more open minded the US doctors.

Here it's the insurance companies, hospitals, and lawyers, that pull the doctor's strings. Patients? Not so much.
They will act very, very concerned and offer nothing. It must be a class they take.

I'm a firm believer that we are our own doctors.

Robert-in-YEG

I took large doses of aspirin and Tylenol over a period of 40+ years. A few weeks ago, blood tests came back with liver enzyme concerns. When the doctor found out how much Tylenol, and for how long, told me to expect liver damage. G-d willing, that seemed premature; for the second week, blood tests are looking better. Bottom line; no more Tylenol, aspirin, or other NSAIDs.

Needing something, I've been finding ginger capsules helpful. Someone suggested turmeric; that's on my 'try next' list.

Robert-in-YEG

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
~Lance Armstrong

Robert-in-YEG,
Top Bottom