Opaque Jars for Keif

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I like to keep my plant material in opaque jars to help prolong the life of the plant matter. I have a little clear jar of keif that I have been collecting. I was wondering if the pollen/keif should be stored in a similar blue/opaque jar? I figured it does not matter at all.

I had never seen this question asked on the boards. Maybe I missed it. I just thought I would ask if the pollen/keif is affected by UV rays at all? I always assumed it was just the plant matter that would react to UV rays.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Vicki

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
When I am storing it, I put them in opaque medicine bottles. I store those in a light proof medicine locker. The batch I am currently using over the next day or two out of there. I empty it into the opaque glass jar on my desk. That stays on my desk in a little caddy for a day or two.

The keif has been on my desk for months in a glass jar. i was not as worried about it though.

I as mostly just wondering if the pollen/keif would also be consider UV reactive.

Slightly Medicated,

djonkoman

no, not in a few days. but kief is considered as affected by light, since as I said it's about the cannabinoids degrading. those are both in kief and weed. also in hash, so hash would also degrade in light, but has less surface and everything in the middle will stay protected from light by the outerlayer

but some weed, especially in more largescale tropical locations, is also dried in the sun so if it's not for long it shouldn't matter too much.

pollen tough is something completely different, often see the term misused but pollen is actually the plant's sperm, what the male flowers make, not the same as kief.
don't know if pollen is affected by light, but it's only acte for a short while anyway unless frozen

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Yea i have a tendency to over simplify nouns. For instance I wear button up dress shirts but I always call them t-shirts. I always take showers but I call them baths. I meant the Keif. I don't like to say crystals though because I think it throws some poeple off so I tend to say pollen.

Good to know that the Keif is still reactive to light though. I always assumed it was just the actual vegetable matter. Thanks!

Slightly Medicated,
I'd tend to think concentrates would be very UV reactive.

I've really been enjoying my Cooljarz, SlightlyMedicated, you might like them. They're US made, high quality plastic containers with a UV protective coating, even on the clear models. Mine have held up very well for the most part, and the sample kit is well worth the 10$+shipping expense.

The long one which is meant for holding a single doobie is also perfect for loading the Solo with, as well as other bowls. It's been my daily walkaround container for a long time now.

Link

charliedontsurf,

djonkoman

I'm not sure, but I think it's not just UV. if it is, glass should work too, as regular glass blocks most or all UV too

djonkoman,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I use clear glass for all my storage but then store in dark, cool place. Works fine for me and I've had some that I had archived quite some time....still fresh as a daisy ;)

For pollen I ended up using some teeny glass jars meant for cosmetic products like lip balms ;)

Lo,
I'm not sure, but I think it's not just UV. if it is, glass should work too, as regular glass blocks most or all UV too

Then why is everyone wasting their money and time buying dark jars and storing them in dark places? Clear glass is UV-exposure Armageddon afaik, as is green glass. Have you ever had a disgusting Corona or similar clear-bottled beer? That's because it's hop spoilage central, caused by UV exposure compromising bittering acids left by the hops. If you use clear, untreated glass for storage (or for bottling industrial pilsners), then you're best served putting them in a dark place.

The Cooljarz are the best solution I've found so far.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: Vicki

djonkoman

well a few years ago I was into keeping poison dart frogs, and was on some forums for that too. usually they are given vitaminepowder(fruitflies are dusted with it, they only eat live food). one of the most important vitamins in these powders is D3. but some people prefer to suplement with UV-lighting, wich has some problems like short lifespan of the bulbs. another thing that was always said when using UV-lights is to not hang them above the glass of the terrarium like you do with the other lights(fluorescent usually), they are never hung inside the terrarium like with snakes/lizards since the humidity is high.
but instead it's adviced to hang UV-lights above the ventilation strip. this because regular glass will block UV. some terrariums are made with special glass/plastic on top that doesn't block UV-light, but any regular glass does.

it could be tough that most is blocked but not all, but to me it seems more logical that all visible light also affects the cannabinoids instead of just light in the UV-spectrum, since if it's in a room it first passes trough the window, then the jar so even if it doesn't block all UV the amount should be significantly reduced
it could be UV has a greater effect since it's wavelength is shorter, but it seems logical to me that if UV affects it, other light also does, to some degree.
and dark jars block a part of all light, not just UV. if beer is also affected by regular light that would explain it, don't remember ever having any beer in a clear bottle tough. pretty much all beer here has a brown bottle, or in a can, only heineken and grolsch have green glass, and I'm not a fan of heineken. grolsch is good, but never noticed anything that could be ascribed to the type of glass. I think I once saw something on tv or read something tough that a lot of european beer in america has a cardboard-like taste due to the transport, I think that was caused by light coming trough the green glass, don't remember the details.
altough I think I once had some weird mexican beer wich was in a clear bottle, nobody really liked it but that was just because bit was weird beer, and was meant to be drank with a slice of lemon(wich we had, but only made it weirder)

Kief

Medicated
Vapor Genie sells CoolJarz, just not all of their sizes. Yes, they are the same. I also use them and would recommend.

Kief,
Reactions: jeffp

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Vapor Genie sells CoolJarz, just not all of their sizes. Yes, they are the same. I also use them and would recommend.

Depending on the duration of the storage need, sometimes I'll store material in a CoolJarz that's vacuum sealed inside a larger TightVac.

jeffp,
Top Bottom