On Demand Vaporizer

Bazinga

Long time lurker - 1st time poster.

Currently I have a Mighty, Arizer Solo 2, and a Fury Edge. Enjoy all of them.

My wife is more of a on-demand style person. She will take a hit and then may not take another one for ten or more minutes. I would like to get her an on-demand device. I've been following the Grasshopper thread and am not interested in purchasing one. Are there other similar dry weed vaporizers? Start up time is not important. Vapor quality, on demand, replaceable battery are the most important.

Please point me in the right direction.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Similar how? Form factor or just on-demand?

For on-demand, here are a few vapes I think you should look at:
Firewood 6
Ghost MV1
Lil Bud
Tubo
Vapcap (butane)
Tinymight (still very new, may want to wait a bit on this one)
Nomad (long waitlist and very spendy but a piece of art and very high praise for vape quality/taste)

Hope this gets you a good start!

Bazinga

Thanks Jill. Form factor is not important. The reviews of the Ghost MV1, in my mind, were not favorable. I may be wrong, but I think the Nomad is for liquids. Not interested in using a lighter, matches, etc. to vape. The TinyMight may not be available for months, although it sure looks like a winner.

I will review your your other suggestions.

Thanks again.

kuzko

Thanks Jill. Form factor is not important. The reviews of the Ghost MV1, in my mind, were not favorable. I may be wrong, but I think the Nomad is for liquids. Not interested in using a lighter, matches, etc. to vape. The TinyMight may not be available for months, although it sure looks like a winner.

I will review your your other suggestions.

Thanks again.

Nomad is for dry herb, not liquids. Although I’m sure you could get it to work with concentrates if you wanted. I’d also throw the Splinter into the mix here.

Bazinga

Nomad is for dry herb, not liquids. Although I’m sure you could get it to work with concentrates if you wanted. I’d also throw the Splinter into the mix here.

Is the Nomad by Vivant? I just re-checked the website and it indicates the Nomad as "oil vaporizer". They list 4 dry herb vaporizers, none of which is the Nomad.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
On-demand and convection:

- RBT Milaana (v1, v2 or v3)
- RBT Splinter and Splinter Z
- RBT Zion (discontinued but upcoming M version)
- MistVape Imp
- MistVape Impcognito
- MistVape Touch (discontinued?)
- Nomad
- Stempod and Stempod Si
- The Glow
- The Project (on hold)
- TinyMight (newly released)
- Ghost MV1
- Herbie (unreleased)

Choices

You could get a Vapcap M, low temp cap, and a Portside Mini or similar induction heater. The time in between you mentioned would be plenty for cool off and frankly there really isn’t much that is easier to use. Love my low temp caps. I change caps when I sense it is spent and still get a few more draws with the regular cap. Hope this helps...

Bazinga

You could get a Vapcap M, low temp cap, and a Portside Mini or similar induction heater. The time in between you mentioned would be plenty for cool off and frankly there really isn’t much that is easier to use. Love my low temp caps. I change caps when I sense it is spent and still get a few more draws with the regular cap. Hope this helps...

Interested only in electronic (battery operated) devices. Just googled Portside Mini. Not for us.

Bazinga,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
So how do you feel about the 510 vapes being suggested here? I have only tried the Imp by Mistvape so far (and liked it quite a lot), but many of these kind of devices have a huge fanbase. They do require purchasing a e cig boxmod, though, and you will have to rebuild the coils from time to time, but for on-demand purposes they are actually really good.

Because if the MV1 is out as well as the Dynavaps or butane vapes in general, choice is getting small unless you want to try artisanal vapes like the Firewood, Tinymight or Lil Bud / Timber. Which might be a good idea though.

Bazinga

KEROZEN - I checked out your list. The Splinter sort of checks all my boxes. The drawback is that it is somewhat complicated. I've only been medicating for 5 months and the vaporizers I'm using don't require any mod attachments or software to to operate. BTW, the TinyMight looks promising, but I would like to get something sooner rather than later.

Siebter - Should I reconsider the Ghost? The review on 420vapezone wasn't great. Troy complained that the vapor was superb only for 2 hits. He also commented negatively about the crucibles.

Assuming I had the choices narrowed down to the Ghost or the Splinter, what would be the best choice?

Bazinga,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Assuming I had the choices narrowed down to the Ghost or the Splinter, what would be the best choice?

In my world something like the Splinter. I have tried the MV1 and think it's a great device, but it didn't give me quite the flow I'm looking for esp. due to the need of having to draw for a very long time.

I also can wholeheartly recommend the Tinymight, but as you already found out, availability is a bit of an issue. It's also still unclear how well it will stand the test of time. But for me it's the Queen of on-demand.

The thing is on-demand (=convection heating) + portable is a complicated task. Most portables are conduction vapes, which has a lot of advantages (less complex and smaller setup) but makes them unable to provide on-demand features. 510s bypass a lot of the development hassle by relying on an external power source. You might have to do a bit of research for the right box mod, but I don't think extra software is a must – besides, putting software on a mod is not rocket science at all. Using it even less.

Siebter,
Reactions: bossman

Vaporware

As much as the Splinter seems like it should be a good portable, most people seem more comfortable just using it at home. If you’re going to buy one, you should think about when/where/how you’ll want to use it and make sure you’ll be comfortable with it in those situations.

I’m also concerned about what’s going on with the MV-1 right now...maybe there’s a new version coming, but some people have speculated that they’re going out of business instead. Whatever’s going on I’d only buy it right now if you get the kind of great deals they had going over the weekend just because of the uncertainty I’ve been hearing.

If you want more portability, take another look at the Firewood 6, maybe the TinyMight, or the Impcognito if you can find the right side-by-side mod to go with it. There are other good choices too, but some of them are unregulated and I don’t know if you or your wife would be comfortable with that. Timer Elite and Li’l Bud Elite are a bit larger I think, but still semi-pocketable and regulated so they’re also worth a look.

In case you’re not familiar with unregulated devices, basically you hold the button to turn on the heater and it stays on until you let go. You can also adjust the heat by drawing faster or slower, but there is some technique to learn for best results. My favorite (the Nomad) is unregulated, but not everyone’s comfortable with an unregulated vaporizer, so it’s good to know what you’re getting into. On the other hand, some people love the immediate control they have with just a change in draw speed or button hold time and prefer that over regulated options.

Bazinga

As much as the Splinter seems like it should be a good portable, most people seem more comfortable just using it at home. If you’re going to buy one, you should think about when/where/how you’ll want to use it and make sure you’ll be comfortable with it in those situations.

I’m also concerned about what’s going on with the MV-1 right now...maybe there’s a new version coming, but some people have speculated that they’re going out of business instead. Whatever’s going on I’d only buy it right now if you get the kind of great deals they had going over the weekend just because of the uncertainty I’ve been hearing.

If you want more portability, take another look at the Firewood 6, maybe the TinyMight, or the Impcognito if you can find the right side-by-side mod to go with it. There are other good choices too, but some of them are unregulated and I don’t know if you or your wife would be comfortable with that. Timer Elite and Li’l Bud Elite are a bit larger I think, but still semi-pocketable and regulated so they’re also worth a look.

In case you’re not familiar with unregulated devices, basically you hold the button to turn on the heater and it stays on until you let go. You can also adjust the heat by drawing faster or slower, but there is some technique to learn for best results. My favorite (the Nomad) is unregulated, but not everyone’s comfortable with an unregulated vaporizer, so it’s good to know what you’re getting into. On the other hand, some people love the immediate control they have with just a change in draw speed or button hold time and prefer that over regulated options.

Thanks for explaining "unregulated". Not my cup of tea. The vaporizers we use now are so easy to use. Perhaps I should be patient and see how the TinyMight pans out.

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
Tetra X! Quick powerful hits, no need to stir, and with the dimpled bent stem I get LUNGS FULL of COOL vapor EVERY TIME!
Believe me if it wasn’t for the Tetra X I would have purchased 3 more vapes on Black Friday but it doesn’t compare to anything else for me. It’s the only vape that helped cure my VAS. I have a lot of interest in the Tinymight but I’m afraid it won’t hit like my Tetra X.
If they release the Mighty+ or Ghost MV2 I’d probably see what they’re about.

blackstone

Wouldn't a FF2+ be any good here? Wondering why nobody mentioned it yet, are they bad?
I just ordered a Crafty+ and was thinking if I should have tried that new FF instead for about the same money.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I don't own an MV1 and wasn't tempted by the black Friday sale because a range of things like unavailable batteries, broken latches, are peeling/flaking finishes, and a lack of upfront communication by the company about the of their business.

Generally I'm looking at Ghost with a raised eyebrow at this point. Their only product cost $300 and now they're selling it for $125 with no indication that they'll have more of the slow charging proprietary batteries in the future. The MV1 has the issues above and also lacks a display so you'd need to operate it with the typical clicking and holding of a single button while looking at colored lights to decide what temp you're using.

Contrary-wise I'm pretty much the resident FC Splinter maven at this point having purchased ten of them, sold three to friends, and still using seven in rotation at home. Don't worry about setup or the hassle of buying two halves of a vape (i.e. Splinter and mod) separately.

I'd recommend either a V2 or a ZV2 paired with a Wismec RX Gen3 Dual and a pair of 18650 batteries (e.g. LG HG2, Sony VTC5A, or Samsung 30Q) from one of the stores we trust on the forum.

You can just attach the Splinter to the mod, set it to 34 watts and have great, consistent results taking a hit or three whenever you want and then coming back later.

There are some deals on a pair of Splinters that include a cooling stem. I recommend the long and short XL8R stems even if you only get one Splinter for now.

The Splinter ZV2 has better flavor and is a more powerful heater but it's also more battery hungry and takes a five second preheat at 45w to get going. If you're using it in wattage mode the V2 is closer to instant heat up from a cold start. Both are easy to use and very consistent. Neither are portable since the ground glass joint of the cooling stems is just inserted unlike devices with a fixed mouthpiece like your Edge.

Very helpful folks on the Splinter threads and we'll make sure you get configured properly should you decide to get one.
IMG-20191114-143230.jpg

Last edited:

F-UCTD

I have the ff2, Ghost Mv1 and two Splinters. My vote from what you are describing goes to the FF2+ if the better draw restriction claims are true. Small, relatively discreet and heats up in three seconds. If portability is not that much of a factor, then I recommend the Splinter with the xl8r stem.

Last edited:

Bazinga

With the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual attachment will we be able to control temperature? I don't understand wattage mode. At the end of the day, will this combination provide vapor similar to the Mighty or Solo 2? Smooth cool vapor in abundance is the goal. Where is best place to purchase? I really like the vaporizers we currently own. My wife will take a hit and then it may be 10 minutes or more before she takes another hit. In between hits she is doing other things. Of course with such a delay the devices power off. I believe the herbs lose some of their potency as the herb is baking in between hits. Portability is not an issue.

Bazinga,
Reactions: bossman

Marcus

My :2c: on on-demand style vapes I own.

Silver Surfer would be my 1st choice and is my daily driver (if no need for portability).

I've just snagged an MV1 and I really like it. :tup: So much I ordered another one.

Elev8r, you say you don't want butane... You will change your mind if you try one though. :tup: Can get me a bit messy that one! :sherlock:

My splinter v2 is hit and miss. Constant check atomizer problems on both my 510 mods and an awful rattle inside.

Dynavap. I'm not a fan of the taste from the ti tip. Much prefer the stainless one. But it works well and I still drag it out now and again.

MFLB. I've not touched it since summer but it does get pulled out now and again, still a real nice flavour.

My wife uses the solo 2 and just shuts it off when she's had a pull or two, then fires it back up again later on in the evening with the same load in. She really gets on with it.

Another on demand I'm interested in is the dreamwood glow, much like the splinter but at least you can get at the coil and change it should it need changing etc.

Good luck in your quest. :tup:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
With the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual attachment will we be able to control temperature? I don't understand wattage mode. At the end of the day, will this combination provide vapor similar to the Mighty or Solo 2? Smooth cool vapor in abundance is the goal. Where is best place to purchase? I really like the vaporizers we currently own. My wife will take a hit and then it may be 10 minutes or more before she takes another hit. In between hits she is doing other things. Of course with such a delay the devices power off. I believe the herbs lose some of their potency as the herb is baking in between hits. Portability is not an issue.
Yes, the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual is great at TC as well. I only described wattage because it requires zero setup and works really well. Folks are used to seeing temps from 360 to 430°F and often think they need to see these numbers in any regulated on demand vape. There's nothing wrong with that expectation and it's quick and easy to configure the rxg3d mod to work in TC mode. My point was only that the performance and vapor quality is excellent without doing any sort of tinkering.

Vapor quality is vastly superior to session vapes like the Mighty and Solo II, in part because of your use case (taking one hit and then waiting) since session vapes stupidly heat up the entire chamber and cook your weed whether you're hitting it or not.

You buy a Splinter or Splinter Z direct from RBT:

https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/category-s/136.htm

This is the combo deal I recommended:
https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/product-p/splntrpckge.htm

Bazinga

Yes, the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual is great at TC as well. I only described wattage because it requires zero setup and works really well. Folks are used to seeing temps from 360 to 430°F and often think they need to see these numbers in any regulated on demand vape. There's nothing wrong with that expectation and it's quick and easy to configure the rxg3d mod to work in TC mode. My point was only that the performance and vapor quality is excellent without doing any sort of tinkering.

Vapor quality is vastly superior to session vapes like the Mighty and Solo II, in part because of your use case (taking one hit and then waiting) since session vapes stupidly heat up the entire chamber and cook your weed whether you're hitting it or not.

You buy a Splinter or Splinter Z direct from RBT:

https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/category-s/136.htm

This is the combo deal I recommended:
https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/product-p/splntrpckge.htm

Thanks for the link. I'm ready to try it. Will I need anything else aside from the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual mod thing? Any recommended accessories.

Would you please explain wattage mode and TC mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bazinga,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Thanks for the link. I'm ready to try it. Will I need anything else aside from the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual mod thing? Any recommended accessories.

Would you please explain wattage mode and TC mode.
Box mods use special batteries called 18650 (catchy, right?). I recommend these (on sale right now):

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...top-wholesale-discount?variant=15414707093598

Or these...

https://www.illumn.com/18650-sony-us18650vtc5a-2600mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html

Shipping for these kinds of batteries is always on the high side but the nature of on demand vapes is such that you need high drain batteries and I've used both of those with great results (just ordered five more HG2 cells actually).

The accessory I recommend is the long and short XL8R stems, probably the grey ones because I think the glass might be a bit thicker judging by the ones I've bought this year. You might get four batteries and pick up a charger for the extra two but I've charged cells right in the rxg3d often and it works fine.

Wattage sends a fixed amount of power to the mesh heater in the Splinter. TC monitors the temperature and sends more power to the heater based on how you're hitting it. It's honestly kinda glorious because wattage and TC have different personalities that are equally rewarding and fun to use. With wattage it's more like here comes the hit and if I draw slowly it's gonna get massive eventually as the heat builds, potentially with a hot spot in the center of the bowl.

TC is less brute force, more refined and ideal for stretching out the flavor hits. With a properly configured rxg3d you can get big fluffy clouds and then remove the stem to see surprisingly light and even avb as you go. Wattage is typically more of a rapid extraction and more high temp, stony effects. Trying lower wattage or a higher TC temp undercuts that generalization and is also very rewarding to try.

At first I always recommend folks get into wattage with their new Splinter because it works really well and is a shorter path to big clouds since the heat builds up the longer you hit.

It's worth mentioning that on demand convection devices like the Splinter reward long, slow to medium speed draws. Imagine hitting something with the draw resistance of your Mighty for ten to fifteen seconds. That's where the most impressive Splinter hits come from.

There's more combustion risk in wattage but everyone knows the healthy range for a given Splinter so if you get a V2 just start around 32 to 36W and monitor the warmth of the vapor during your draw and you'll have no issues.

I included a pic in my previous post of the settings I use for my V2. They'll be different for a ZV2 since the heater is bigger and uses more power.

Finally, the rxg3d supports Arctic Fox and myevic firmware so you can effectively put a new operating system on your mod that has handy settings and a more useful display with the kinds of numbers you'll want to see. I recommend crossing that bridge later once you're comfortable using the Splinter and rxg3d combo in wattage. Once you have TC figured out you can hand it to your wife with the temp at the right place and she'll just hold the fire button when she hits it like she does in wattage.

Top Bottom