Discontinued Omicron Vaporizer for oils

VaphingApe415

Mine comes up snug with no problems. Don't I recall some fiddling with the cap early on with the V2? FWIW mine measures .575 inches relaxed, .395 fully compressed....in case someone else with a HVD has calipers handy? Or even just a V2 to measure?

It's obviously not too 'battery crushing tight' in there, since tapping the base on the deck shifts the battery enough to break contact and force a reset.
OF
^^^
Yup! I can tell ya this has happened, I have had my HVD top force reset on me when I actually turned it off with the 5 bottom press. This has happened two or three times already. When I first got it on Saturday, I think I had an isolated incident were I had set my HVD in the long tube and stored it up right on top of a pile of cloths after getting medicated. I had just set it off and was chillin watching the tele. When all of a sudden I smell dank, thought it was my neighbor enjoying his Saturday like me. But then the dank stench was overwhelming. So I got up and found drifts of vapor spewing from the mouth piece and oil bubbling from the top. First responds oh, shit. What to do? The unit was not lit up and the cart was just getting even hotter, mind you it was still spewing and bubbling oil at the tip of the mouth piece. So I had to unscrew the HVD top with the cart and had let that sit (too hot to unscrew the cartridge from the unit so I knew I had to act fast, so I had to break the contact). It must have been on for 14-20 sec and this was a 1.5 cart. I think the bottom cap for early adopters that are able to use protected batteries have a slight discrepancy, when jostled or tapped it can rest the HVD top. There is definitly a sweet spot for it to reset cause i tried shaking it and forcing it to reset, but never could replicate it on demand. It only happened two or three times, it was unexpected, and I just caught it by chance. Those with the current version of the v2 (cant use protected batteries due to your bottom cap) are having trouble assembling there mini most likely due to this. I know the HVD has its place, but it looks like it's missing some key players. I can't wait till they make there debut the omicron reactor and the omicron hammer. HVD top looks like its finna be home bodied. Wondering if the momentary push button HVD tops are now in the works? I want to keep the on/off HVD but am really looking forward to ^^^ this to keep me jamming out and about unregulated. It will all get sorted out, keep the faith and stay on the vapor path FC brothas and sistas!
Edit: it was a 1.5 cart that I had just refilled the second time, it was hitting a little lousy till this happened, to my suprise it didn't burn out cause the wick was heavily saturated. Hits like a champ now...could have been worst but the vapor gods were in my favor that day!

VaphingApe415,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
^^^
Yup! I can tell ya this has happened, I have had my HVD top force reset on me when I actually turned it off with the 5 bottom press. This has happened two or three times already. When I first got it on Saturday, I think I had an isolated incident were I had set my HVD in the long tube and stored it up right on top of a pile of cloths after getting medicated. I had just set it off and was chillin watching the tele. When all of a sudden I smell dank, thought it was my neighbor enjoying his Saturday like me. But then the dank stench was overwhelming. So I got up and found drifts of vapor spewing from the mouth piece and oil bubbling from the top. First responds oh, shit. What to do? The unit was not lit up and the cart was just getting even hotter, mind you it was still spewing and bubbling oil at the tip of the mouth piece. So I had to unscrew the HVD top with the cart and had let that sit (too hot to unscrew the cartridge from the unit so I knew I had to act fast, so I had to break the contact). It must have been on for 14-20 sec and this was a 1.5 cart. I think the bottom cap for early adopters that are able to use protected batteries have a slight discrepancy, when jostled or tapped it can rest the HVD top. There is definitly a sweet spot for it to reset cause i tried shaking it and forcing it to reset, but never could replicate it on demand. It only happened two or three times, it was unexpected, and I just caught it by chance. Those with the current version of the v2 (cant use protected batteries due to your bottom cap) are having trouble assembling there mini most likely due to this. I know the HVD has its place, but it looks like it's missing some key players. I can't wait till they make there debut the omicron reactor and the omicron hammer. HVD top looks like its finna be home bodied. Wondering if the momentary push button HVD tops are now in the works? I want to keep the on/off HVD but am really looking forward to ^^^ this to keep me jamming out and about unregulated. It will all get sorted out, keep the faith and stay on the vapor path FC brothas and sistas!
Edit: it was a 1.5 cart that I had just refilled the second time, it was hitting a little lousy till this happened, to my suprise it didn't burn out cause the wick was heavily saturated. Hits like a champ now...could have been worst but the vapor gods were in my favor that day!

Ok im lost a bit, did the HVD turn on by itself?

VaphingApe415

Yes, it was on without the lights flashing; I panic and was pushing the button but it didn't light up or anything. The cart was hot to super hot in seconds and I knew it was still on cause the vapor was spewing out till I unscrewed the HVD top from the body. I now take out the battery when storing it and triple check it when it's off with the battery. It could have just been my luck of draw. I'm more mindful now. The day that I got it I had the habit of holding down the button so I don't know if it had anything to do with it. It's working flawlessly now and chalk it up as a learning experience.
Edit: those that don't like the logo lining up, HVD top and omicron long tube. Try flipping it, so the HVD top threads to the bottom so the logo is now upside down. Looks more pleasing to the eye...

VaphingApe415,

GR

When using the HVD in the long tube with 3.7v or 7.4v and in 5click off mode a bump will reset it and it can be turned on with one click of the button, won't be leaving the house with this setup. When turned into the mini 3.7v this is not an issue, the 5button press off keeps it locked off.

GR,

jpdnkstr

When using the HVD in the long tube with 3.7v or 7.4v and in 5click off mode a bump will reset it and it can be turned on with one click of the button, won't be leaving the house with this setup. When turned into the mini 3.7v this is not an issue, the 5button press off keeps it locked off.
I also had an issue with it being "locked off" getting bumped, and then able to turn on again with a single press of the button!? I also have the too short short tube I know, I know... not ideal, but I'm sure this will all get sorted out as well!

THESE MINOR ROADBUMPS ARE SMALL PEANUTS IN THE BIG PICTURE... THIS TYPE OF VAPOR TECHNOLOGY IS LIFE-CHANGING AND I (AS WELL AS THE MAJORITY OF YOU GUYS AND GALS) HAVE A BACK-UP PIECE. WE ALL WAITED THIS LONG.... OH YEAH, LETS NOT RUSH THE MAN THIS TIME!

OF

In Of we trust!! This Upgrade is A mess!! I hope they test my replacement Before Sending Out to me! I cant take another disapointment :bang:

I understand your disappointment, but this is the nature of cutting edge stuff. "If it was easy, we'd have the janitor do it". The harder you push it, the more issues are likely to pop up and we PUSH. There are traditional techniques used to deal with at least some of that, but as you see getting that to happen at the same time is not a given either, nor is it more than a way to find and correct problems....how do you know when you've found the last big problem and are now just delaying things? It's the classic 'war' between Engineering, Manufacturing and Sales. The struggle eternal. A tough but essential balance.

If you truly "can't take another disappointment", my advice is to get out of the game. There are risks for one and all to share on this high tech stuff. It is not, IMO, realistic to expect 'they' to unbox, assemble and test each unit. It drives the cost up more than most are willing to pay, creates some of it's own problems, and can lead to complaints of 'you sold me used stuff'.....trust me, I've been there too.

Expectations are part of disappointment, perhaps I just have different expectations? I expect the average unit to do more or less what's advertised. I know there will be flukes, I can get a lemon, and there might be some issues that need fixing. For this last reason I favor makers with strong CS histories like THC when dealing with cutting edge stuff.

"The most important part of cutting edge technology is to stay away from the sharp part".

I love you

Great thought, and for sure you're not the first.....but I think she's spoken for? Then again, you can worship from afar.....

As far as Bob goes, yer on your own....... He's not my type....

I also had an issue with it being "locked off" getting bumped, and then able to turn on again with a single press of the button!? I also have the too short short tube I know, I know... not ideal, but I'm sure this will all get sorted out as well!

THESE MINOR ROADBUMPS ARE SMALL PEANUTS IN THE BIG PICTURE... THIS TYPE OF VAPOR TECHNOLOGY IS LIFE-CHANGING AND I (AS WELL AS THE MAJORITY OF YOU GUYS AND GALS) HAVE A BACK-UP PIECE. WE ALL WAITED THIS LONG.... OH YEAH, LETS NOT RUSH THE MAN THIS TIME!

AMEN! Well said. Recall the Bible story of the lost lamb? We're ignoring the "ninety and nine" (the huge part that works right) while focusing on the one percent that is problematical. The key is to find and understand the remaining issues so they can be fixed. The alternative is to abandon the effort and I'm sure not in favor of that.

For now I think we should keep talking, keep calm and use the gear advisedly. As JP so well put it, this is small change in the big picture....local weather can always be different. But knowing that a worst case can lead to the thing being on with you expect it to be off says to be careful where and how you use it. It's a bummer to have it decide to stink up the joint and waste your oil and all, but it'd be a whole other issue if it was doing it in your shirt pocket while you were talking to the cops about a sloppy turn or broken tail light and trying to be cool......

I, for one, am anxiously waiting for the 'have to hold the button down' version of the unregulated top to come out. I think that alone will cover lots of these problems or at least put them on another list?

In G we trust.....'best game in town', and your only possible source of this good stuff. Life could always be better, but it's already been much worse.

OF

Ok im lost a bit, did the HVD turn on by itself?

Yes, it was on without the lights flashing; I panic and was pushing the button but it didn't light up or anything. The cart was hot to super hot in seconds and I knew it was still on cause the vapor was spewing out till I unscrewed the HVD top from the body. I now take out the battery when storing it and triple check it when it's off with the battery. It could have just been my luck of draw. I'm more mindful now. The day that I got it I had the habit of holding down the button so I don't know if it had anything to do with it. It's working flawlessly now and chalk it up as a learning experience.
Edit: those that don't like the logo lining up, HVD top and omicron long tube. Try flipping it, so the HVD top threads to the bottom so the logo is now upside down. Looks more pleasing to the eye...

It sounds as if the HVD may have been designed by the same person who gave us the "8" prototype that turns itself on?

-NDA

Nick Again,

OF

It sounds as if the HVD may have been designed by the same person who gave us the "8" prototype that turns itself on?

Good joke, might even be true it's the same guy but these are not the same sorts of problems at all. Most of the 8 issues have to do with the nature of prototypes....a very important issue if you want to make sense of this stuff.

It's actually two different skill sets needed to design such a product and to make it 'buildable' and solid performing in the marketplace. And then you need a way to fix the issues that naturally come up. With real risks at every turn. Most just avoid all or part of that?

OF

OF,

GR

Some further playing with the HVD and long tube while the unit was in off mode. I noticed that it took a tap on a hard surface to override the off mode but some giggling did not seem to do it, I became brave enough to put it in my pocket while off to do some yard work. I felt a warm glow in my pants, hey I know I am good at yard work but I normally don't get hot in the pants from it, sure enough it was the HVD on in my pocket cooking my leg and oil. Definitely not travel friendly in this configuration.

GR,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I find that the 7.4 (never played with 7.4 or a persei before) on 5.0 is really thick, and the click on click off is easier to get used to than I thought. I have been using the 7.4 long right directly into my ti swing bell, putting a silicon mouthpiece creates the perfect seal, and the way my bubbler sits quite perfect. I click on and off a few times, boom, better than a ti nail and feels a lot cleaner too. The mini 3.7 works well just doesn't milk as well. Hangs down being held by the silicone mouthpiece in the ti curve bell looks kinda nifty on my bubbler. Quite happy about these setups, but GR is right the 7.4 is very sensitive about when you place it down or it will reset. If it's off itwill jump right back on and will stay on until you realize it or the cart is dead, battery dies or whatever happens first.

Good joke, might even be true it's the same guy but these are not the same sorts of problems at all. Most of the 8 issues have to do with the nature of prototypes....a very important issue if you want to make sense of this stuff.

It's actually two different skill sets needed to design such a product and to make it 'buildable' and solid performing in the marketplace. And then you need a way to fix the issues that naturally come up. With real risks at every turn. Most just avoid all or part of that?

OF

Not a joke. After 4 decades of designing and building military gear, the cases of failure must always be at the forefront. With a device designed to supply large amounts of power to a heat source, it would seem that safety features like "turning OFF" **reliably** would be an obvious requirement. But then again...

-NDR

Nick Again,
Reactions: GR
Getting out the Game? :cool:Thanx Of you are Right again I feel enlighten now!! Im not trying to b an ass but My Volcano is perfect! I never sent it back for any thing, it just wrks! And Ive had it for 9 years!! But good Luck to u guys!! Peace

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
3.7v with 1.5 ohm cart puts out 9.12 watts

3.7v with 2.4 ohm cart puts out 5.70 watts

4.2v with 1.5 ohm cart puts out 11.76 watts. Fully charged

4.2v with 2.4 ohm cart puts out 7.35 watts Fully charged

7.4v with 5 ohm carts puts out 10.95 watts

7.4v with 4 ohm carts puts out 13.69 watts

8.4v with 5 ohm carts puts out 14.11 Watts Fully Charged

8.4v with 4 ohm carts puts out 17.64 watts Fully Charged

With higher watts means hotter and faster rate of vaporization. Bigger clouds in shorter time.

Thanks G, I finally see the light! :D

OF

Not a joke. After 4 decades of designing and building military gear, the cases of failure must always be at the forefront. With a device designed to supply large amounts of power to a heat source, it would seem that safety features like "turning OFF" **reliably** would be an obvious requirement. But then again...

-NDR

OK, not a joke. I think you're dead wrong.

The problems we're having are coming from an entirely different sort of engineering than the prototype issues with the 8. If the same engineer is actually involved it's just happenstance, the two sets of problems are at opposite ends of things. One Design, the other Product Engineering in the traditional terms.

Now, it seems, you're talking design concepts, logic and flow charts and all that good stuff? Also a valid point, Design Review could use a slower pass next time, but this would be a third (most likely separate) function.

So, if it wasn't an attempt at humor to link them, I'm sorry I took it that way. If it was a serious comment, I don't agree with the premise.

OF

Getting out the Game? :cool:Thanx Of you are Right again I feel enlighten now!! Im not trying to b an ass but My Volcano is perfect! I never sent it back for any thing, it just wrks! And Ive had it for 9 years!! But good Luck to u guys!! Peace

Your welcome. Best of luck. In the end all you can hope for is to buy satisfaction with your hard earned bucks, you gotta follow that.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I'm not liking the reports of the HVD turning on with out indication, or provocation. The idea behind a mini style unit, is to be pocket/portability friendly, otherwise, why bother with a stealthy, tiny mod? IMO I am uneasy about all the uncertain, is it on, is it off problem. I'm glad the V2 isn't having these issues, starting to look like I jumped the gun on getting this, and might be considering a refund. I am happy for those who have a functional HVD, but it seems too many are having problems. I still want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's not looking so good from this angle right now. If we decide to return it, is it just a matter of opening a ticket w/ D-9?

jambandphan03,

OF

I'm not liking the reports of the HVD turning on with out indication, or provocation. The idea behind a mini style unit, is to be pocket/portability friendly, otherwise, why bother with a stealthy, tiny mod? IMO I am uneasy about all the uncertain, is it on, is it off problem. I'm glad the V2 isn't having these issues, starting to look like I jumped the gun on getting this, and might be considering a refund. I am happy for those who have a functional HVD, but it seems too many are having problems. I still want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's not looking so good from this angle right now. If we decide to return it, is it just a matter of opening a ticket w/ D-9?

I'm still holding off on the ETA for the other V2 upgrade top. Basically the same thing as now but with the mechanical upgrades and removal of the (power robbing) regulator. I think G said it should be soon and the cost will be low for us. This will also give a few of the mechanical issues a chance to be understood, most of these should not effect that still coming version. Your call, of course, but I'm going to hang with it a bit longer I think.

OF

OF,

Dgtheonlyg

i feel quite frankly the exact same, mines not bad enough to re-turn. My HVD that i got is working perfectly, all that has done which is weird is the button is not sitting exactly flat straight across, so whatever if the button is positioned a little off. Im only worried about internal problems, I've already droped my hvd (accident) and i can tell you its built like a tank. I guess its harder trying to incorporate the 7.4 v design on the omi than the persei

Dgtheonlyg,

jon_dojah

I just received my black matte HVD. I tried it in every possible config and everything screws together perfectly. I also tried to get it to reset from the "locked off" mode and no dice. Shook it, tapped it hard against my palm and its still off. I would rather have the old "hold to activate" function but before I never utilized the 5 button presses to lock feature even when in my pocket with other items. Now I have to actually use it all the time especially when in my pocket. Also before I would let others use without hesistation even walk away with it so they can medicate freely but now feel I should stay by the HVD's side at all times. I still have my V1 and if I can some how get another V2 bottom cap then I would have a complete V2 for others to use freely without fear of something bad happening.

Overall I am pleased with what I got especially hearing all the horror stories the past few days.

jon_dojah,

OF

I guess its harder trying to incorporate the 7.4 v design on the omi than the persei

Two entirely different designs. Persei seems to be analog (not computer) with the switch in series so everything is dead until you press it. A dropout in power doesn't mean anything. It carries on. Nothing to 'boot up'.

Omicron is processor controlled. There's a computer that flashes lights and turns power on and off in response to a key (not strictly a switch) input. Crash the computer and you're in trouble. We're getting crashes and restarts.

The Omicron is closer to the 8 in that respect than Persei, it too is processor controlled. In fact I'd say the new V2 design is closer to the old V2 than anything else THC has?

OF

OF,

kittyboy

I recieved my upgrade HVD Saturday just in time to charge batteries and take to wedding in small mode of V2. I put it in my bag thinking it was turned off and when i checked it later it had come on and clogged and leaked. I have HVD on V2 long mode and after turning off if I set it down hard on desk light blinks 4-5 times. So it is turned on again. I was lucky as cartdrige did not stink up bag etc.
Anyway see from a few posts folks having same trouble. Will have to test back in small mode to see if same problem. Dont have cartridges for using 7.4 as I want to wait for them to be designed better but i did see a difference in hit with small and big v2 config with new hvd head...

Thanks

kittyboy,

kittyboy

I recieved my upgrade HVD Saturday just in time to charge batteries and take to wedding in small mode of V2. I put it in my bag thinking it was turned off and when i checked it later it had come on and clogged and leaked. I have HVD on V2 long mode and after turning off if I set it down hard on desk light blinks 4-5 times. So it is turned on again. I was lucky as cartdrige did not stink up bag etc.
Anyway see from a few posts folks having same trouble. Will have to test back in small mode to see if same problem. Dont have cartridges for using 7.4 as I want to wait for them to be designed better but i did see a difference in hit with small and big v2 config with new hvd head...

Thanks
Just did set on desk with out turning off and again 3 light blink..... so be careful when setting it down folks.

kittyboy,

Dgtheonlyg

Two entirely different designs. Persei seems to be analog (not computer) with the switch in series so everything is dead until you press it. A dropout in power doesn't mean anything. It carries on. Nothing to 'boot up'.

Omicron is processor controlled. There's a computer that flashes lights and turns power on and off in response to a key (not strictly a switch) input. Crash the computer and you're in trouble. We're getting crashes and restarts.

The Omicron is closer to the 8 in that respect than Persei, it too is processor controlled. In fact I'd say the new V2 design is closer to the old V2 than anything else THC has?

OF
very very true, i love though how thc made the omi look like the persei putting those side by side is like telling apart twins haha. The only thing i will make a comment on is that with the omi 7.4 its only 2 3.7 300mahs so i feel like i have to charge my batteries more. I got my hvd yesterday and I've already had to do 2 full cycle charges on both batteries. I think i will just buy an extra set down the road

Just did set on desk with out turning off and again 3 light blink..... so be careful when setting it down folks.
for me either its on or off when i set it down blinks 3 times away, whats wrong with that?

Dgtheonlyg,

JoeKickass

EDIT: I fixed it! See two posts down...

Ok I will summarize the issue:

HVD unlocks/resets (to off, does not come on by itself) when there is a sharp bottom tap (like you set it down on a table) because the batteries bounce off of the very solid contacts.

Only the 7.4v and 3.7v long tubes are affected. The mini 3.7v cranks down hard on the battery and cannot bounce to reset itself so this is the special case.

This means that if you are traveling with the hvd top and the long tube you must unscrew the cart.

The hvd won't turn on by itself, but it can unlock itself.

So basically treat the lock feature as useless and do not rely on it. Always treat the hvd as unlocked and don't put it away until you take off the cart.

Your body won't get it above 100*F so don't worry stable oils shouldn't leak.

JoeKickass,

kittyboy

for me either its on or off when i set it down blinks 3 times away, whats wrong with that?
Well if it blinks just from setting it down then I am not sure if it is in Off Mode at any time? I am just trying to understand the problem at hand. I lost a cartridge and had to reclaim oil from it which isn't fun.

I meant above that after using it and with light off but not turned off with the 5 quick button release and i set it on desk the light blinked.

kittyboy,

JoeKickass

It blinks whenever the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

I did however, just discover a fix.

For the 7.4v do this:

Unscrew the (extended) bottom cap from the body a couple times
Drop a metal battery charging spacer in from the top (plus side up, shake it if you need)
Drop your two tiny batteries in
Compress the batteries by screwing the top down the whole way
Now screw down your bottom cap until you feel it snug up on the batteries inside

The fix for the 3.7v long is a bit trickier:

Since the battery charging spacer is too thick
We need to find washers that fit around the bottom cap's center post
I found some great ones that were labeled 10-32 that measure 5.2mm ID and 12mm OD
But anything with a center hole larger than 5mm and a diameter of less than 14mm should work
Now stack them on the center post so the tip sticks out like the charging spacer tip (5 washers for me)
Load batteries from the bottom this time, screw the cap down until it snugs up
If the cap screws down all the way add more washers, you want it nice and snug on the battery itself

Your hvd lock function will now work :D

Top Bottom