OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
Just ordered a custom engraved Aroma-3 along with the bearing puller. Excited AF! :brow:

Nobody here has asked but that's my engraving: "END OF THE WALKWAY"

At the end of the escalators to and from the gates at Suvarabhumi Airport in Bangkok, Thailand, a recorded female voice is heard again and again repeating "end of the walkway". Anyone who has ever landed in Suvarabhumi Airport in Thailand knows that voice.

I have a very special connection to Thailand (my wife is Thai) and I go there twice a year. Whenever I hear this woman's voice, my heart smiles and I feel at home and I know I'm on vacation now. So I associate a lot of positive feelings with "end of the walkway" and this will now be engraved in my Aroma-3 grinder forever. :love:

Last edited:

Razzle_N_Dazzle

Ben said the engraver should be delivered later this week in an update to me a few days ago 🤞
Hopefully he doesn't run into anymore delays. I know he's been trying hard to get the issues fixed. That being said, the extended wait time has been a bit rough. Coming up on 2 months for me.

Ben has offered to engrave any design since the Founders Edition including arty stuff if wanted...he just forgot to do mine before posting.:)
Huh. I haven't seen a top engraving on anything other than the founders. It seemed like he's trying to keep the custom stuff on the bottom, but that's just my own assumption.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
That reminded me of an idea I had for this grinder. Let me know what you guys think.
Since one of its' main features is the wonderful spinning, and considering Ben has access to a laser engraver, what if he offered lid designs that created motion effects while spinning. I can think of a few different designs, but kinda like this:

I know some people wouldn't be into it, but it could be a cool option. Would have to keep the designs somewhat classy and not gimmicky.
Edit: Could probably even make a design that looks non-descript, but when you spin the lid it reveals OLD MATE DESIGNS or something
If he’s looking for some ideas here’s 75 of them that only takes 3 mins to watch. I’ll take Mario ❤️
Edit*** Ricky and morty ftw
The first 100 pre-order customers were given the option of customizing the finish but it looks like Ben will look after latecomers if they ask. I wonder who will be the first to sell some 'action' stickers/skins for the top of the spinner?
And number 000/120... Click to expand and see the video
Just got shipping notification for my Aroma-3-I’m feeling beyond lucky! Now to patiently wait for the post to arrive. Sneak peak

Razzle_N_Dazzle

The Yellow are near silent and spin for about 3-4 times as long as SKF.
The Red are less reliable (had to swap one out that got real noisy), make more noise but not too bad and spin about 6-7 times as long as the SKF.
How stable is the top with the yellow bearing? I know the top with the colored bearings that used to be offered would rock back and forth a bit.

Razzle_N_Dazzle,

Singularity Walker

0:32-0:49 shows what I mean by "rocking back and forth"

Thank you for the video. I would not have tried rocking it while not spinning like that,
Reinstalled original SKF bearing to get e feel for trying to rock it while not spinning.
I would say the Yellow is very similar to the SKF and the RED is slightly more able to rock but not as much as the heavy rocker in the video. YMMV but that is my observation.

dimmusp

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an AROMA-3 with custom engraving this weekend!

I'm eagerly awaiting the next steps from our Old Mate down under... :)

In the meantime: does anyone have cool engraving patterns they could share? Something that would look cool while static but hopefully also something that would make a cool animation while spinning.

Thanks

Dankkh

Has anyone else had issues receiving an order confirmation from OMD's website? I ordered a Bearing Press/Puller on Feb 10th, and my credit card was successfully charged, but after a while I realized I never received any kind of confirmation in my email inbox. I also tried creating an account on OMD's website, and in my order history I do see my original order of the Aroma-3 grinder from early least year, but my order for the bearing press/puller is nowhere to be seen.

When. I paid, I used the second payment processor option (not the "Hello Clever" one or whatever, but the other one). I hope that wasn't a mistake. I wish I would have saved the initial receipt it showed me after I submitted payment.

Dankkh,
Has anyone else had issues receiving an order confirmation from OMD's website? I ordered a Bearing Press/Puller on Feb 10th, and my credit card was successfully charged, but after a while I realized I never received any kind of confirmation in my email inbox. I also tried creating an account on OMD's website, and in my order history I do see my original order of the Aroma-3 grinder from early least year, but my order for the bearing press/puller is nowhere to be seen.

When. I paid, I used the second payment processor option (not the "Hello Clever" one or whatever, but the other one). I hope that wasn't a mistake. I wish I would have saved the initial receipt it showed me after I submitted payment.
I would email ben he is very helpful and should be able to set you straight

Top Bottom