OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hello everyone,

I have created a blank dxf file of the lid profile for you guys to model on if you wish.

Google Drive Link (Please someone let me know if this doesn't work)

There is also a Autodesk Fusion native file in there that you guys could use as a template within Fusion to draw what you like.

I use fusion to model all of my parts and to program my CNC Machines. Its super powerful software and they offer a free version for home hobbyists. I cant see why you guys wouldn't qualify for the fee version but its not something i have tried to do (i have a commercial license) .

I have had 0 luck with the click and covert to .dxf programs. They create double and broken lines and ends up a nightmare for me to get useable again.

I'm pushing as fast as i can to get the orders out and on track to have them all out by the end of the week.

I have a knee operation 1st of March so i could be out for a week.

Sorry for my lack of responsiveness to emails etc, things are crazily busy for me at the moment with running the machine shop and OMD. The emails are always coming in faster than i can reply to them.

Thankyou,
Ben / Old Mate

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hey @OMD,

I've not worked with any CAD software previously but I managed to put these together real quick using LibreCAD and InkScape:

Google Drive Link
Google Drive Link

Does this level of quality work for you?
Let me know when you have a moment, thanks.
In the meantime I'll look for some real designs...
Hey mate,

Yes this is perfect. Nice clean drawing with lines connected and no double lines. Joy!

The Actual designs go over the bearing hole though so they wont turn out good. But i get they are just test designs.

Carry on mate :tup:

Ben

mcscruffy

My two Aroma-3s finally showed up today (woooo)!

Ice blue anodized titanium is mine with the vintage AFC logo while the SS with the LFC logo is a late Christmas gift for my buddy. I have two Ti versions now and just waiting on the large version.

Very noticeable difference in weight and handling between the two which I included pictures of! The titanium has some heft but that SS one feels like it'll shred through herb even faster with the extra mass... the new bearing was installed on both and it spins almost twice as long on the SS version.

Definitely loving the look and having a backup on hand to improve convenience of grinding multiple strains to fill my Reloads! The top on the new Ti one I got is much more splotchy looking than the first one I got, but I'm just going to say it gives it character and be happy. The splotchy pattern actually creates a blueish swirling spiral when spinning, so that's pretty neat.

OMD

Accessory Maker

My two Aroma-3s finally showed up today (woooo)!

Ice blue anodized titanium is mine with the vintage AFC logo while the SS with the LFC logo is a late Christmas gift for my buddy. I have two Ti versions now and just waiting on the large version.

Very noticeable difference in weight and handling between the two which I included pictures of! The titanium has some heft but that SS one feels like it'll shred through herb even faster with the extra mass... the new bearing was installed on both and it spins almost twice as long on the SS version.

Definitely loving the look and having a backup on hand to improve convenience of grinding multiple strains to fill my Reloads! The top on the new Ti one I got is much more splotchy looking than the first one I got, but I'm just going to say it gives it character and be happy. The splotchy pattern actually creates a blueish swirling spiral when spinning, so that's pretty neat.
You will be able to wipe the splotches off. Its the oil from handling it. Same thing happens to the new iPhone Ti apparently.

https://thesun.my/style-life/titanium-edges-catch-scratches-CG11534060

Glad these arrived safe and sound. i was starting to get worried!

Ben

moonbaker

Thanks Ben, time to crank out Google translate.

Oldmate.jpg

mcscruffy

OMD

Accessory Maker
I managed to get a bunch of orders out, Andddd my new AUD $150k trotec laser engraver (best in the world with awesome support apparently) has broken within a week :(

Currently have lawyers involved to get my get my money back as the techs couldn’t fix it and want to send a second hand unit to me as an alternative with no compensation :( it’s just not good enough.

I’m not sure what I have done to piss the laser gods off but I’ve had the absolute worst luck.

This has halted orders from heading out.

I have ordered my third laser engraver (china one with 25,000 happy customers in a fb group) but that is around 12 days away.

Everyone with current orders are quite welcome to ask for a refund as I understand this is getting beyond a joke now.

I can also sent clean unengraved units if you want.

I’m so sorry and feel defeated.
Ben

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
I managed to get a bunch of orders out, Andddd my new AUD $150k trotec laser engraver (best in the world with awesome support apparently) has broken within a week :(

Currently have lawyers involved to get my get my money back as the techs couldn’t fix it and want to send a second hand unit to me as an alternative with no compensation :( it’s just not good enough.

I’m not sure what I have done to piss the laser gods off but I’ve had the absolute worst luck.

I have ordered my third laser engraver (china one with 25,000 happy customers in a fb group) but that is around 12 days away.

Everyone with current orders are quite welcome to ask for a refund as I understand this is getting beyond a joke now.

Ben

Oh man, what a bummer. I'm very sorry for you. I hope everything works out in your favor soon. I'm sure everyone here understands your situation. Cheer up!

mcscruffy

Ben
Oh man, that sucks! Hopefully you can get sorted soon. Very thankful you were able to finish mine, however!

badbee

The idea of a grease packed bearing next to the herb concerns me a little. Is bearing leakage a concern for anyone? Have you seen issues? I found the comments about cleaning but they didn't mention leakage. I've been wondering about one of these for a while but can't quite get past this.

The bearing is a feature whose upside is mostly amusement and the downside is, ... something? Honestly I would prefer flakes of aluminum to traces of grease (I realize there are other choices...).

badbee,
Reactions: cosimo

OMD

Accessory Maker
The idea of a grease packed bearing next to the herb concerns me a little. Is bearing leakage a concern for anyone? Have you seen issues? I found the comments about cleaning but they didn't mention leakage. I've been wondering about one of these for a while but can't quite get past this.

The bearing is a feature whose upside is mostly amusement and the downside is, ... something? Honestly I would prefer flakes of aluminum to traces of grease (I realize there are other choices...).
I use SKF bearings and only support them. They are excellent and don’t leak.

You could swap out for a PEEK dry bearing if it is a concern.

The bearing isn’t for amusement, the fidget spinner aspect wasn’t intentional. it’s to take the load of the grinding to stop aluminium flakes.

Tbh: my grinder isn’t for everyone and if you are at all concerned I suggest buying the BCG.

—-

Thanks everyone for the kind words last night, it’s refreshing to have your support!

Ben

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yeah obviously he said it better than I ever could, but I will just pipe up with a user report to say I have had zero notice of anything like that, only herbal materials in my OMD... And yes the spinner is not for amusement, very functional and it basically auto grinds, which I absolutely love :tup:

badbee

I use SKF bearings and only support them. They are excellent and don’t leak.

You could swap out for a PEEK dry bearing if it is a concern.

The bearing isn’t for amusement, the fidget spinner aspect wasn’t intentional. it’s to take the load of the grinding to stop aluminium flakes.

Tbh: my grinder isn’t for everyone and if you are at all concerned I suggest buying the BCG.

—-

Thanks everyone for the kind words last night, it’s refreshing to have your support!

Ben
Just for the record, I realized after the fact this looks like an attempt to dump on and dismiss your product which wasn't my intent. This came out worded poorly, sorry about that.

maremaresing

Hate to hear of the current laser woes at OMD. Ben has been really clear and nice in my order process, and seems like a genuinely great person who is earnest at doing right by everyone.

I add myself to the pile of recommendations to get an non-engraved Aroma. The lid being so clean of engraving lets the design shine through. I love the sterile look with no distractions. You still get a nice show when you spin, due to the fine milling ridges.

Got mine last week and was shocked at how fast it got from the other side of the planet. Right in time for weekend and my needing to restock my preground stash. And it's really good at grinding, coming from my threaded anodized aluminum grinder I got a few years back. The first thing I did was fill it to overflowing with mixed shake. I'm talking whole buds and shake and all that mixed in, forcing the lid down closed, jam packed full. A few satisfying twists and it's all fluffy ground below, with nothing stuck up top.

While it's not a fidget spinner, it lives on my desk when not in use. It's so paperweight heavy that it stays in place while I idly spin it back and forth. Excellent stress relief on hard work calls. Plus, satisfying strong magnets and a nice "clink" when shut.

I'm extremely pleased and impressed with the Aroma-3, and happy to retire all my other less safe grinders for something that will last me a very long time.

Pablo13

My Aroma 3 Showed up 2 days ahead of schedule at the start of this week, thanks Ben! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I kept it plain and simple so I could get my hands on it and get grinding with it. I was thinking of some kind of zoetrope/stereoscope type image would have been a cool addition. I couldn't settle on a design and/or work out how to reverse engineer it to work while spining and appear like not much when still. Maybe next time :)

Loving the grind and feel of this thing :cool:

I keep opening this and playing it like its some kind of CDJ deck or something :rockon: :freak:

El Duderino

The Dude abides.

I also received my Aroma-3 a few days ago. My "best" grinder to date, which I had been using until I received the OMD was the SLX 2.5. In hindsight, I think buying the SLX was a mistake and the price is not reasonable - especially in comparison with the OMD, which doesn't cost much more.

The quality and workmanship of the OMD is beyond reproach. It's so much fun to just hold the grinder in your hands and let the spinner spin. And the grind itself is simply superb: very even, fluffy and smooth, not "torn" like the SLX. I love this thing!

One question: In my case, the lid spins for a maximum of 10 seconds. That's different from the videos I watched, where it spins much, much longer. Is this due to the new bearing? Which bearings would be recommended if you want a longer spin? I'm aware that this has no effect on the grind - but more spin is just more fun. :D

I also received my Aroma-3 a few days ago. My "best" grinder to date, which I had been using until I received the OMD was the SLX 2.5. In hindsight, I think buying the SLX was a mistake and the price is not reasonable - especially in comparison with the OMD, which doesn't cost much more.

The quality and workmanship of the OMD is beyond reproach. It's so much fun to just hold the grinder in your hands and let the spinner spin. And the grind itself is simply superb: very even, fluffy and smooth, not "torn" like the SLX. I love this thing!

One question: In my case, the lid spins for a maximum of 10 seconds. That's different from the videos I watched, where it spins much, much longer. Is this due to the new bearing? Which bearings would be recommended if you want a longer spin? I'm aware that this has no effect on the grind - but more spin is just more fun. :D
Like another poster recommended, the yellow shake junt bearings spin really well but also not that long (maybe 30sec) The bearing it comes with I agree doesn't spin too long, but the trade off is that it's totally sealed and very solid. Others can chime in for the longest spinning bearings, but for me the shake junt bearing seems to be quite good for decent spins and solid feel

Top Bottom