• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Just had a visit from my friend that I got an OM for and he is over the moon happy. He said he is so glad to not have to fight the SL/X I gave him anymore. He had a spin of my all ceramic and felt how easy it is to remove the top...I now have the Abec-9 all-ceramic job on order (the hybrid just did not spin as well and caused the magnetic post to work).

Just had a visit from my friend that I got an OM for and he is over the moon happy. He said he is so glad to not have to fight the SL/X I gave him anymore. He had a spin of my all ceramic and felt how easy it is to remove the top...I now have the Abec-9 all-ceramic job on order (the hybrid just did not spin as well and caused the magnetic post to work).
mine has the NTN bearing.

Dampfmaschine,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
mine has the NTN bearing.
So did mine to start with...old fuddy-duddy like myself was thinking of longevity and the reason I also wanted 316 s/s...until I tried my friend's fast spinner that spun for 30 seconds compared to my 5 seconds with the NTN.

farmerpalmersnt

I do prefer the flush fit of the bearing. I've never liked the aesthetic of circlips. I can imagine a few folks prising them out with scissors, losing them as they go pinging off etc Maybe a pressing tool could be an optional accessory? I like the simplicity/purity of a press fit tbh although I see why you've gone that way.

In terms of grind, I really can't fault it at all so you've obviously got the balance right. Super consistent. I've not cleaned it once either, other than a quick centre post wipe.

OMD

Accessory Maker
I do prefer the flush fit of the bearing. I've never liked the aesthetic of circlips. I can imagine a few folks prising them out with scissors, losing them as they go pinging off etc Maybe a pressing tool could be an optional accessory? I like the simplicity/purity of a press fit tbh although I see why you've gone that way.

In terms of grind, I really can't fault it at all so you've obviously got the balance right. Super consistent. I've not cleaned it once either, other than a quick centre post wipe.
You know what? You're right!

I'm 90% leaning towards changing the design back to flush and design a simple press tool to get the bearing in and out easily.

All i need is for you guys to be able to remove and install bearings without fuss.

What do you all think about this?

I'll keep the filleted post and grooves in the side.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

I'm 90% leaning towards changing the design back to flush and design a simple press tool to get the bearing in and out easily.

All i need is for you guys to be able to remove and install bearings without fuss.

Definitely sounds more appealing to me I think you know! Thanks for always listening

honestly that would be great. ive been wondering how to get me bearing in and out today :)

i think sandblasting the bottom tray would also be worthwhile doing a trial on. perhaps less Kief might stick.

love the grinder mate. she works well

oldfool

I drove my bearing out with a socket extension and tapped the new one in with a piece of wood and a hammer.
I think I'm glad I got mine early, before the extra grooves in the side.
It's not hard to open if you pull it straight off instead of trying to pry off one side first like a clamshell.
The tight tolerances and precision are a lot of what makes this thing great.

Offer no top magnet for easier opening?

OMD

Accessory Maker
I drove my bearing out with a socket extension and tapped the new one in with a piece of wood and a hammer.
While this certainly does work, This can damage the bearing and dent the race. I have had customers break ceramic bearings this way. Ideally it should be pressed in/out. A lot of my customers simply don't have the tools to do this and im having to support them from the other side of the world. It's super tricky for me.

I think I'm glad I got mine early, before the extra grooves in the side.
The grooves come from working with a L6 Quadriplegic, he can now open and use his grinder one handed with the grooves. It makes the grinder a lot easier to open. Personally i like the grooves and function it brings.
It's not hard to open if you pull it straight off instead of trying to pry off one side first like a clamshell.
This is all good if you have great hand dexterity. My target market is people with dexterity hand issues / arthritis etc and they sometimes struggle top get the lid off.
The tight tolerances and precision are a lot of what makes this thing great.
I agree!
Offer no top magnet for easier opening.
I do offer this as an option.

Thanks for your comments mate! I hope i have addressed some of your concerns.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
A lot of my customers simply don't have the tools to do this
I own a press and a vice but just used pieces of wood and everyday items to show how easy it can be done but a simple tool delivered with the grinder would be much better...I made one up with a bolt, nuts and a few washers that work as a puller but won't bother showing now as you are on the job @OMD!

THERES A TI ONE?? YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD.

unfortunately i cant afford that but i was just thinking about a ti grinder last night

also would you sell the tools separately? i cant afford to buy a second grinder just for the removal tool and it seems wasteful not to keep this one :)

OMD

Accessory Maker
also would you sell the tools separately? i cant afford to buy a second grinder just for the removal tool and it seems wasteful not to keep this one :)
Yes, they will be listed seperately and an option to include at checkout. I will also list bearings seperate with the option to include spares in your order.

I own a press and a vice but just used pieces of wood and everyday items to show how easy it can be done but a simple tool delivered with the grinder would be much better...I made one up with a bolt, nuts and a few washers that work as a puller but won't bother showing now as you are on the job @OMD!
Thanks for all your help mate. I apreciate the videos you made for the community. i have shared the video with lots of customers.

Yes, they will be listed seperately and an option to include at checkout. I will also list bearings seperate with the option to include spares in your order.
cheers mate. ive told a couple mates who wanted one that you've restocked. can you do the flush bearings again or just the circlip?

Dampfmaschine,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
You could also offer a full-ceramic bearing as an option that could be washed with the grinder as there are no extra lubes involved

Yes to be able to buy one already with the ceramic installed flush, along with a custom finer plate for myself at least, I never really had plans to remove or install the bearing on my own ideally (I'll stop repeating myself lol)

Top Bottom