Old Head Hot Rod

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
In terms of 1) flavor and 2) vapor production...

How does this thing compare to other heavy hitters? SV6? Evo? Can this thing keep up?

VapeEnthusiast,
Reactions: Ripstar

coolbreeze

How does this thing compare to other heavy hitters?
I can't compare it to your two choices, but it probably has the same useful capacity as my dc elev8r, with slight taste disadvantage; probably more capacity than my Buddha, maybe better taste; vapbong's on another plane. From what I've seen and from my own experience, it hits with the big boys (though probably below the max capacity of the top few) and the flavor is up there as well, though again perhaps not the absolute top.

Its simplicity, price, low power consumption and flexibility with bowls/bricks, as well as useful capacity from sipping to bowl-clearing, great flavor makes it really convenient: a heavy hitter when you need it, a flavor sipper, session vape, or sticky brick heater every other day.

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
You never mentioned the Ti though.

That's fair! Feel free to compare to the Herbalizer Ti or the VapBong or whatever other desktop hard hitter! I have a few but I felt that listing my collection might be a bit extreme :p

I'll take any insights!
I can't compare it to your two choices, but it probably has the same useful capacity as my dc elev8r, with slight taste disadvantage; probably more capacity than my Buddha, maybe better taste; vapbong's on another plane. From what I've seen and from my own experience, it hits with the big boys (though probably below the max capacity of the top few) and the flavor is up there as well, though again perhaps not the absolute top.

Its simplicity, price, low power consumption and flexibility with bowls/bricks, as well as useful capacity from sipping to bowl-clearing, great flavor makes it really convenient: a heavy hitter when you need it, a flavor sipper, session vape, or sticky brick heater every other day.

That's great! Thanks for the write-up!

I really like fast extraction speeds (the Supreme is the fastest I can think of) and good flavor.

Ripstar

How does this thing compare to other heavy hitters? SV6? Evo? Can this thing keep up?
DCE and EVO, it definitely keeps up, maybe even better. I haven't used my EVO for quite some time though. I did not think I would be a huge fan of the wooden bowl, but I love that dang thing now.

Texus

I still don't feel like I have things dialed in on the Hot Rod yet, but at present I would not put it in the same league as my VapBong, Herborizer or B-Rod. In either flavor (Herbo is king here) or vapor production (B-Rod kills the competition on this one, which makes me think that there is good promise from Hot Rod that I just haven't yet achieved).

coolbreeze

I can't stop using this unit, super fast vapor. It's a very easy vape to use for such great results.
It definitely passes the reach test.
Weed Kicks GIF

Pancakehead430

I tried this using the joint from my hydrobrick (which I believe is the same piece) into a D020 and it seemed more open than going through an adapter, but the effect was probably exaggerated for me since I'm more used to a tighter draw. Give it a shot if you've got one or a flip, I think.
I use mine often with a flip brick. I use it dry with a hydrobrick maxx mouthpiece and wet with a scepter (vapexhale clone) hydro tube. The thing rips. The bowl of the flip is lower profile than the stock bowl making it milk instantly.

downer0420

Does anyone know if the cord is replaceable for the Hotrod? No need right now, but I’ve been contemplating selling mine in favor of my other recent purchases. The cord is the biggest turnoff for me, and I’m wondering if down the road that’s something I might be able to change.

downer0420,

TastyClouds

Im not sure its been asked so a few questions for those of you who have had time to feel the hotrod out...

Draw resistance- is it relatively wide open or more restricted? How about with the 18mm adaptor?

Temp changes- How long does it take to drop in temp (say from 3 o clock to 12) or rise to temp?

How has support been? This is one of my major concerns as ive reached out to Oldhead with no response.

Im on the fence between the Hotrod and a B1 flowerpot bundle so anything else worth mentioning to get me off the fence Id love to hear about. Id love to hear yalls thought, Cheers!

TastyClouds,

coolbreeze

Last edited:
coolbreeze,

Steel28

Have you tried the 18mm joint from the Flip as the joint for the HR bowl? Afaik, it's the same joint as that for the Hydrobrick and it's the HR 18mm joint, as well. Just pointing out the options for those who already have or need the joint to fit their 18mm glass.
Any links where to buy 18mm flip joint?

Steel28,

coolbreeze

Id love to hear yalls thought, Cheers!
A couple impressions: it's pretty open, maybe less so than my Buddha, but all the glass I've tried it on has decent function; I have not really temp-stepped with it but it seems reasonably responsive when you crank for a clean-up; I haven't tried support, but I bought mine at SBL reasoning that they have some capacity for support. Otoh, Ch seems to be very responsive to the competition and has just released an injector add-on.

Bottom line for me was cost/perceived safety/and usable range of power. For me the HR can be an everyday driver without jacking my tolerance while punching hard when necessary, whereas my concern was that the CH stuff was really geared for heavy hitting.

Steel28

A couple impressions: it's pretty open, maybe less so than my Buddha, but all the glass I've tried it on has decent function; I have not really temp-stepped with it but it seems reasonably responsive when you crank for a clean-up; I haven't tried support, but I bought mine at SBL reasoning that they have some capacity for support. Otoh, Ch seems to be very responsive to the competition and has just released an injector add-on.

Bottom line for me was cost/perceived safety/and usable range of power. For me the HR can be an everyday driver without jacking my tolerance while punching hard when necessary, whereas my concern was that the CH stuff was really geared for heavy hitting.

I think your post helped me as well. I might get HR even though I have CH B1 bundle as well new injector head coming.

When I use CH baller it hits me like a freight train and I will use it during evening time only. I don’t think I can handle it during the day lol.

coolbreeze

it hits me like a freight train
Heh. I'd love to have a B2, I think, but I'm already trying to not relegate my Vapbong to weekends only...

If you do go for the HR let us know how they compare for you. It sounds like your holidays will be legendary!

TastyClouds

I think your post helped me as well. I might get HR even though I have CH B1 bundle as well new injector head coming.

When I use CH baller it hits me like a freight train and I will use it during evening time only. I don’t think I can handle it during the day lol.

So despite its pid controls ability to be set at low temps it doesnt do well as a flavor sipper?
Bummer if thats the case because I was under the impression it did that as well as the Hotrod. I was hoping to only crank up the B1 at night and set it for lighter vapor output during the day but it seems like the Hotrod might be best for that type of use.

TastyClouds,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I only own the HR so I could be off base on my assessment of CH, but the main difference in performance appears to be the bowl. With the Ti shovel head bowl retaining a lot of heat in practice the B heads end up running more in a hybrid mode, as sipping while leaving the head on or going back frequently to the Ti bowl will allow the bowl to retain more heat.

I have heard of people using their HR bowl with the B heads and they seem to really like that combo, but of course that’s only an option if you have both as the wood bowl isn’t sold separate yet to my knowledge. Maybe that will change if it becomes a popular option.

coolbreeze

So despite its pid controls ability to be set at low temps it doesnt do well as a flavor sipper?
*all the ch baller heads feverishly trying this for the first time* /jk

I have heard of people using their HR bowl with the B heads and they seem to really like that combo
Yeah, I saw that Troy seems to feel this way. Someone suggested that the injector should allow for smaller/wood/glass bowls and closer placement. I would think this would work well with lower temps, too?

coolbreeze,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I concur, I think a bowl that doesn’t retain heat, coupled with a long lasting heat sink (balls) at low temp and closer to the material could be an ideal setup for a sipper.

Top Bottom