Old Head Hot Rod

PossumMD

Feel I should be clear, I don't think it's a model that had the stiffer cord, but in the spot the unit is in now, I can put the cord in the wrong spot and the "wand" will slip off the magnets. Which happens with most connections of this type. If I put my phone on the wireless charging Pad wrong, I blame me cos part of that is on me and I feel this too is the same way. I dunno. I'm pretty medicated at the moment. Feel like I'm waffling now...

Also, how y'all attach the heat shield?

Ionlyknowvape

AN & 4wks of Hydroponic BudSwell (2 more weaks)
I understand that people are genuinely concerned. That's why I edited the snark out of my comment.

I will say that having used this device for several days, mine feels reasonably safe, as though it is performing as (sufficiently) designed. My experience does not reflect that of those who have shared their concerns. It goes without saying, however, that ball vapes get very hot and you should exercise reasonable caution and use it as designed.
A great device to have. 1+ wk of everyday use without any body burns with only one ‘bust’! Cleaning up a bowl burn is quick and easy, making the HR desirable. And no fear in darkening flower, to the edge.

Ripstar

I picked this thing up about a week or 2 ago when it released. I really wasn't planning on it but VAS got me for the holidays. I spent a few day regretting it until it arrived and I used it. Holy shit does this thing produce some amazing vapor, quick too! I am at about 3 o'clock using the GooRoo 3piece HD and I get a full tube in no time. It's very impressive and vapor is wonderful. It definitely needs a finer grind I have notice but I love the wooden bowl and the results. The one thing that is sketchy is the cord, which seems to be the consensus here too. Other than that, I am VERY happy with this thing.

Texus

Makes good sense about the cord.
A long screwdriver straight through the shield works easy.
Great idea! and then can look for some other less janky way to do this. Maybe a metal rod with a connecting wire that attaches to shield? Wonder what is in my random toolbox...

Texus,

Rainbow and Rasta

Great idea! and then can look for some other less janky way to do this. Maybe a metal rod with a connecting wire that attaches to shield? Wonder what is in my random toolbox...
There’s nothing janky to it really- It took a couple of minutes for a guy with more than 2 thumbs and the shield sits as tight as can with the screws really biting hard into the wood

Rainbow and Rasta,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

coolbreeze

Maybe a metal rod with a connecting wire that attaches to shield?
I was thinking along these lines when you raised the possibility of slot to keep it secure. What I pictured was a 3 or 4" rods attached to the inside corners of the guard closest to the stand, maybe with wire, so that it would look sorta like goal posts. Or, you could probably cut/print some sort of flat, bracket type thingy that would work similarly, and mount it to the stand before/in place of the heat guard. Not sure this helps, but just brainstorming.

Edit: Someone else mentioned looking into slightly stronger magnets, probably the best solution.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,

TastyClouds

Well VAS finally won out and I think im going to make this Hotrod my first desktop vape. Ive had a Solo, a Mighty and my 19' M hold me over for long enough and Im ready (as is my tolerance) for something with more power. Just as I was getting ready to submit my order it sold out. Lesson learned, don't fight the VAS, just order now and think later :lol:

Hoping OldHead can crank out some good ones here on the next batch.

Rainbow and Rasta

Well VAS finally won out and I think im going to make this Hotrod my first desktop vape. Ive had a Solo, a Mighty and my 19' M hold me over for long enough and Im ready (as is my tolerance) for something with more power. Just as I was getting ready to submit my order it sold out. Lesson learned, don't fight the VAS, just order now and think later :lol:

Hoping OldHead can crank out some good ones here on the next batch.
Vapenorth has it

Texus

I was thinking along these lines when you raised the possibility of slot to keep it secure. What I pictured was a 3 or 4" rods attached to the inside corners of the guard closest to the stand, maybe with wire, so that it would look sorta like goal posts. Or, you could probably cut/print some sort of flat, bracket type thingy that would work similarly, and mount it to the stand before/in place of the heat guard. Not sure this helps, but just brainstorming.

Edit: Someone else mentioned looking into slightly stronger magnets, probably the best solution.
Yeah, mulling things over here. I think I might be more comfortable with something more bombproof than just magnets.

So I like the fancied up screwdriver through heat guard idea, or maybe something U-shaped to hold both sides thru the heat shield?

Other thought had been some sort of U shaped metal extension that sits at the base of the handle with a latch that can swing across the top of the U. If that makes sense...

coolbreeze

U shaped metal extension that sits at the base of the handle with a latch that can swing across the top
Something like that could be good, for, like walk-away security. I've been trying to think of something more secure but still convenient so it doesn't become a hassle to use. Still mulling. Could it work in the CH stand with an insert or something?

coolbreeze,

Texus

Something like that could be good, for, like walk-away security. I've been trying to think of something more secure but still convenient so it doesn't become a hassle to use. Still mulling. Could it work in the CH stand with an insert or something?
Yeah, something like this Disorderly Conduction stand at at the level of where the cord meets the handle , but maybe a bit deeper V could work. It i is primarily that lateral, slide of the side issue that worries me.

coolbreeze

level of where the cord meets the handle
Ah, I think I see where you're going. You could mount a mini-something-like- one of those coming up from the underside of the base, maybe. Even angled out a little to catch the cord itself where it joins the reinforcement.

maybe something U-shaped to hold both sides thru the heat shield?
Ah! a U with tabs bent inward that can latch into the heat shield and be swung over and rested on top the handle at rest. You might even shape it so it conforms to the shape of the handle somewhat for more security. It would be a simple flip onto the handle or forward out of the way.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,

Mndeadhead

So o have a random question and probably dumb question, but I’ve been experimenting with my glass with the hot rod. I’ve used the GRAV COFFEE MUG, which doesn’t work well because it’s too close to the heater. I’ve also used the mega globe with a long stem. Currently, I’ve been doing one scoop of the old head scoop turned up to 4.5, and I’m hitting through a GRAV Upline with a 14 mm opening. I’m clearing a bowl in 3 hits (I’m not taking monster rips). I know that there is an 18mm bowl. I’m assuming you get a little more airflow with the bigger opening?

Mndeadhead,

coolbreeze

I know that there is an 18mm bowl. I’m assuming you get a little more airflow with the bigger opening?
I tried this using the joint from my hydrobrick (which I believe is the same piece) into a D020 and it seemed more open than going through an adapter, but the effect was probably exaggerated for me since I'm more used to a tighter draw. Give it a shot if you've got one or a flip, I think.

smeg_it

Works for me! I'm still fairly new but I've tried a few things but I think I'm done. I use it at a lower temperature than most I'm sure. I was using the sticky brick OG, but I don't like to cough, so I either left to much herb unused, or I managed to burn the herb a little. This thing is so even, it's amazing.

I got it from sneaky pete's. I wasn't able to get the heat shield, it was out of stock. Only problem for me is I don't sit at a desk, it's next to my bed, so I need to be very careful, and make sure I turn it off. I do wish it had an extra magnet or two lower than the first to hold it a little firmer in the stand but it's the best thing I've tried, and from what I've read here, probably the best I will have for a long time!

Happy Holiday's to me!

Ionlyknowvape

AN & 4wks of Hydroponic BudSwell (2 more weaks)
I picked this thing up about a week or 2 ago when it released. I really wasn't planning on it but VAS got me for the holidays. I spent a few day regretting it until it arrived and I used it. Holy shit does this thing produce some amazing vapor, quick too! I am at about 3 o'clock using the GooRoo 3piece HD and I get a full tube in no time. It's very impressive and vapor is wonderful. It definitely needs a finer grind I have notice but I love the wooden bowl and the results. The one thing that is sketchy is the cord, which seems to be the consensus here too. Other than that, I am VERY happy with this thing.
3rd week of HR and I am very happy, too! :rofl:One great feature is allowing the bowl to cook for a few and then taking a monster draw. I’m finding this achieves efficiency. Unbelievable that one bowl got me through a day before reload.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
The Purr glass bowl work exceptionally well. The one that pairs with the neo. It’s super thick glass and the hot rod sits on the top with a fit just like the stock wooden bowl. It doesn’t lock in there but works wonderfully. Here it is in action...
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/r9290i I’m gonna plop a concentrate pad in this bowl tomorrow and take her for a spin. I’ll tape it for you gang!😀

Last edited:

Steel28

Any word on restock? One thing that is not good is communication (or lack of support) from Old Head via IG or email.

coolbreeze

Just back to say this is my nightly routine now. Man, this thing is really something. I leave it on most of the night when I get home and can walk by and rip away. Love the option to use my bricks too but really prefer it through glass. Vapor instantly.
Same. This was meant to be a weekend vape but it works so well for sipping that I can use it every day without jacking my tolerance. And also lose myself in the fog when necessary.

Top Bottom