No body high

wastedpotential

I do not agree that vaping is healthier than smoking. Hoping that it is, but vaping hasn't been studied like smoking and hasn't been around as long. Everyone that vapes is really a guinea pig. What about those vapes that have silicone or electronic vapor paths?. What about breathing in toxic metals?

If you want an honest discussion on vaping vs smoking, I think it is important to remove the airpath material issue. Air path contaminants are a separate issue, and will only cloud the science.

Also important is the difference between cannabis and nicotine. Nicotine is the big danger, not necessarily the smoking. Nicotine in any form is dangerous.

So, when entering any discussions on safety of vaping, it must be separated from other forms.

Cannabis - smoking vs vaping flower.... (airpath is pure) why wouldn't vaping be lass harmful?
Cannabis - smoking vs vaping oil, liquid, extractions.... will likely depend on quality and type of oil
Tobacco - smoking vs vaping (well, will depend on the vape material and additives)... nicotine = bad

Smoking bans were to protect non-smokers from nicotine exposure. It wasn't to ban 'clouds'. Smoke, even from cannabis, lingers and hangs about. Vapor dissipates quickly. Exposure is very limited. I would like to see studies just measuring contaminants in the air between smoking and vaping. Yet, because we have clouds, it is viewed as 'smoking'. But what of my asthma inhaler? What if that produced a cloud? Would it be banned?

Hopefully, one day, people will learn to separate the 'evil of smoking' from the 'consumption of product'.

wastedpotential,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Also important is the difference between cannabis and nicotine. Nicotine is the big danger, not necessarily the smoking. Nicotine in any form is dangerous.

I know it's hard to swallow, but it's just the other way around. Smoking kills, and that's why we are here. Nicotine has been misunderstood for a long time, but since we are able to isolate it from tobacco use, the data about it shows some interesting surprises. Nicotine is not carcinogenic, by itself only mildly addictive, much less toxic than assumed and even has some positive potential for therapeutic use. The assumptions about nicotine where based on very old and questionable research and also did not examine nicotine as an isolated substance.

I still want to suggest to (finally) stop discussing the nicotine factor here, as it is offtopic not only thread- but also forumwise. If anyone needs more info, feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

Alexis

If you want an honest discussion on vaping vs smoking, I think it is important to remove the airpath material issue. Air path contaminants are a separate issue, and will only cloud the science.

So, when entering any discussions on safety of vaping, it must be separated from other forms.

Cannabis - smoking vs vaping flower.... (airpath is pure) why wouldn't vaping be lass harmful?
Cannabis - smoking vs vaping oil, liquid, extractions.... will likely depend on quality and type of oil
Tobacco - smoking vs vaping (well, will depend on the vape material and additives)... nicotine = bad

Smoking bans were to protect non-smokers from nicotine exposure. It wasn't to ban 'clouds'. Smoke, even from cannabis, lingers and hangs about. Vapor dissipates quickly. Exposure is very limited. I would like to see studies just measuring contaminants in the air between smoking and vaping. Yet, because we have clouds, it is viewed as 'smoking'. But what of my asthma inhaler? What if that produced a cloud? Would it be banned?

Hopefully, one day, people will learn to separate the 'evil of smoking' from the 'consumption of product'.
I would suggest one very significant logical aspect to this debate. Nicotine, we must remember, I think anyway, is to some extent, actually a physically addictive substance.

By no means on par with alcohol in that sense, opiates, benzodiazepines, heroin etc., or many other pharamaceutical drugs.

Also Kratom.

By my book/reckoning, logic and understanding, anything which is physically addicctive, and not just psychologocally craved, (like Cocaine for exzmple,,for all it's perils and undoubted harms, is not actually physically addictive bybtrue definition), but most times, a physically addictive substance, with physical withdrawal symptoms, has a likelihood of being harmful or having a negative impact on the body, immune and nervous sytems and health.

I really don't know the real science on that wrt nicotine in a non combusted form- chewwing gum, patches, (pills?) Or clean, non toxic e-cig delivery.

Another very smart scientifically vested and educated member here (😉) did kindly PM me with his informed, study based take and knowledge on nicotine as a potential harmful agent, pers se, much appreciated @Siebter sorry I did not reply there. Just very sick atm and I listened openly tomwhat you expressed, Im just not educated or qualified IMO to constructively comment in reply, but appreciate the info nonethless mate. 👍

He appeared to suggest, I think, cos I get way wasted on kava, edibles and at times (frequent ones lol- pure Dutch LSD), that recent studies are not showing nicotine in clean delivery, non combusted systems to be harmful per se, maybe evennhaving some medical or therapeutic value, but I will re-read that to make clear.

But my logic is still that if something has the potential to become actually physically addictive, with discontinuation withdrawals, it has the potential to have a negative impact on bodily health.

Caffeine is another example however. Used moderately, I think cagfeine cannbe perfectly safe, harmless and even beneficial.

So there are some exceptions arguably, to that theoretical rule I propose, which for all I am qualified to declare, may well include nicotine too, in that,,it ,ay have a place and use.

This may or may not apply to the purest, non (additionally) toxic ingestion of nicotine, but I can't pretend to say either way, being a non nicotine user myself.

Kratom is a good example- as physically addictive as opiates virtually, with almost rivalling withrdawal intensity.

That is why I speak positively about Kava. Zero withdrawals and physical addiction. No actual negative efffects or harm on body or brain, per se.

Not like Krstom.

Just a few examples for perspective.

Cannabis, I don't think we can say fits the definionary bill of true physical addiction.

However, discontinuation can result in some apparent type of withdrawal symptoms, particulary night sweats, so maybe on some level there is a slight physical addictive characteristic to cannabis?

Regardless, the post you are replying to, @wastedpotential , he clearly just completely failed to gather the thrust and pursuit of this thread, which was not related to nicotine or e cigs at all.

But may be useful for general education purposes and distinction.

Not disagreeing with any of your points either, just that we have already spelled that out clearly, a few of us here already.

@Siebter please don't tell me off lol I just saw your post you just beat me to it slapping our wrists for continuing to discuss nicotine lol! No more bro. I would say that at times, if education is gained, a little topical divergence can be purposeful.

wastedpotential

I do appreciate the info on nicotine.
And I only spoke up to differentiate between e-cig vape versus cannabis vape.
My point is that we need to separate tobacco and cannabis in a vaping discussion, especially when discussing 'health'.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@Alexis – You actually bring up some good points. Nicotine is still a drug and I don't mean to claim it's harmless – it is not. But it makes a huge difference when a substance is combined with other things, in the case of tobacco with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which increases its addictive qualities by a lot¹. So it's important to take a detailed look not only on a drug, but also its various parts.

¹https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2687081/

By no means on par with alcohol in that sense, opiates, benzodiazepines, heroin etc., or many other pharamaceutical drugs.

In cigarettes it actually is, but indeed not in its pure form. The addictive and psychoactive qualities of pure nicotine are very similar to caffeine.

My point is that we need to separate tobacco and cannabis in a vaping discussion, especially when discussing 'health'.

Yeah, absolutely.

Last edited:
Siebter,
Reactions: Alexis

Alexis

In cigarettes it actually is, but indeed not in its pure form. The addictive and psychoactive qualities of pure nicotine are very similar to caffeine
No disagreement mate, but what I was also gesturing towards- it can be very physically dangerous, even fatal by seizure, to suddenly withdraw from Alcohol or benzodiazepines.

Tobacco/niccotine withdrawal, while one crave like a mother Fu....r lol, I don't think will ever be directly life threatening as such.

Just a very hard habit to kick for so many, primarily I would argue due to intense psychological dependance, cravings and pure habitual coping, escapist measures, regardelss of the physical, but non fatal, withdrawal aspect.

Alexis,
Reactions: Siebter
Top Bottom