• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

New York Cannabis News

darbarikanada

even though I live in a legal state, we don't have this - and I'm jealous already: The deal would allow delivery of the drug and permit club-like lounges or “consumption sites” where marijuana, but not alcohol, could be consumed, according to details obtained by The New York Times.

I am somewhat surprised that it's taken NY so long. Perhaps that's my own ignorance speaking here but I figured those with the power might want to be able to print more money through taxes on cannabis.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

New York lawmakers approve adult use marijuana

New York state lawmakers approved legislation legalizing adult use marijuana Tuesday after debating in blunt terms the benefits and pitfalls of pot.

The bill, passed by both the Democratic-led Senate and Assembly, removes cannabis from the list of controlled substances and will eventually legalize, tax and regulate recreational pot for adults over 21.

Gov. Cuomo signs bill legalizing recreational marijuana in New York

Certain parts of the new law go into effect immediately — including expungement or resentencing for anyone with a previous marijuana conviction that would now be legal under the law.

Also effective immediately, New Yorkers will be legally allowed to possess up to 3 ounces of cannabis outside the home and up to 5 pounds at home — and can smoke pot in public wherever smoking tobacco is permitted.

Last edited:

Razhumikin

Finally! I know theyre saying that it will take up to 18 months for recreational sales to start, but how quickly can we expect medical to start selling whole flower, as is also promised in the law? Will it be on the same timespan as recreational?

Razhumikin,

1nd3cEnt

Finally! I know theyre saying that it will take up to 18 months for recreational sales to start, but how quickly can we expect medical to start selling whole flower, as is also promised in the law? Will it be on the same timespan as recreational?

I phoned both Curaleaf & Columbia Care in NYC today & asked this very same question but right now they have no directives from corporate about future MMJ non-ground flower & trate sales.

But I am convinced that the new medical initiatives signed today will be implemented asap, way too much $$ at stake:

New York Governor Signs Marijuana Legalization Bill, Hours After Lawmakers Put It On His Desk
  • The state’s existing medical cannabis program would also be changed to expand the list of qualifying conditions and allow patients to smoke marijuana products. Patients could also obtain a 60-day, rather than 30-day, supply.
  • Current medical cannabis businesses could participate in the recreational market in exchange for licensing fees that will help to fund the social equity program.
New York Legalizes Recreational Marijuana, Tying Move to Racial Equity
  • The new law was a significant win for the medical cannabis industry, which has spent millions of dollars lobbying to make the state’s program less restrictive ever since Mr. Cuomo signed legislation legalizing the drug for medical purposes in 2014.
  • Previously, a small number of diseases qualified patients for medical marijuana use, including AIDS, cancer and epilepsy. Now, practitioners will have the discretion to recommend medical marijuana for any condition.
  • Some of the companies had entered New York’s medical market in the hopes of obtaining a foothold in the state to eventually sell recreational cannabis. That bet paid off: The state’s medical cannabis operators, capped at 10 companies, will be able to enter the more lucrative recreational market by paying a one-time fee.

BestBuds

The Dude
This is kinda cool because now the crazy island of CT will be surrounded by rec legal states. Maybe it'll push things along here? :rofl:***dream**""

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
This is kinda cool because now the crazy island of CT will be surrounded by rec legal states. Maybe it'll push things along here? :rofl:***dream**""

I honestly thought CT was going to go first. Well, until NJ passed. Then I knew something was getting passed in NY...

I do agree CT can be like another planet sometimes :lol: Only kinda kidding. I'm basically on the CT border...

vinnyzan

Did NYS go in a diffrent direction than other states when it comes to public consumption ? I read somthing about it but wasn't really able to verify.

vinnyzan,

Tranquility

An article from a more right-leaning site ALSO seems to like the law--with one exception:

Conservatives Should Celebrate New York's Marijuana Legalization, With One Caveat

Things liked? It's stupid to make a plant illegal, people of color have been disproportionately affected by cannabis laws and, New York has FARMERS up north.

Not liked?
The only negative that I can see about this law is that it does not appear to address Child Protective Services’ authority to take children away from people who smoke marijuana. This is a very serious issue. Even in Colorado where pot has been legal for a while, parents who use it are still having their children removed from them because of marijuana use. This is obscene. When these laws are written, they should include provisions to prevent CPS/DFS from using marijuana as an excuse to investigate a family or remove children. Until lawmakers fix this, minority communities and the rest of us will suffer from this hole in the law. CPS/DFS is vicious to parents who use marijuana. It appears that they lean on federal law that still says marijuana is illegal to do this in states where pot is legal. Federal laws must change and change quickly because they are creating confusion and abuse of power in child welfare bureaucracies.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

BubbleDrop

And I love how he talks about it like it was his life long passion to get it legalized lol
Maybe not his entire life but we can't deny Cuomo was already involved quite some time ago (see below, from Wiki).

Medical cannabis legalization (2014)​

In July 2014, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed legislation permitted the use of cannabis for medical purposes, following a "lengthy, emotional debate" in the issue in the Senate and 49–10 Senate vote. Cuomo's signing began an 18-month window for the state Department of Health to enact a medical marijuana program to provide non-smoked methods of cannabis consumption to patients.

BubbleDrop,
  • Haha
Reactions: BrianTL

florduh

Maybe not his entire life but we can't deny Cuomo was already involved quite some time ago (see below, from Wiki).

I sure can. Because 3 years after he signed the medical use law, he was out there saying cannabis is a "gateway drug" that shouldn't be fully legalized. Cuomo's been slow walking legalization for years, talking out of both sides of his mouth. Most likely to make his drug company funders happy. His hand was finally forced after he got caught sexually harassing young employees like 5 years into #MeToo.
With as much bad press as the governor has received recently, I must say the timing is impeccable!

Exactly. Take note, anyone in an illegal State. Encourage attractive young women to seek employment in the Governor's office. Worth a shot.

BubbleDrop

I sure can. Because 3 years after he signed the medical use law, he was out there saying cannabis is a "gateway drug" that shouldn't be fully legalized. Cuomo's been slow walking legalization for years, talking out of both sides of his mouth. Most likely to make his drug company funders happy. His hand was finally forced after he got caught sexually harassing young employees like 5 years into #MeToo.
Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't heard of this.

But then at the same time (in 2017), he proposed to decriminalize marijuana ?

I understand he changed his mind quite a lot !

BubbleDrop,
Reactions: florduh

Tranquility

Exactly. Take note, anyone in an illegal State. Encourage attractive young women to seek employment in the Governor's office. Worth a shot.
The saddest part is, he's feeling the pressure from his errors in regards to live women rather than from those that have died.

florduh

I understand he changed his mind quite a lot !

That's for sure. That same site details his flip flops on cannabis over the years. He said whatever he needed to say to kick the can down the road as long as possible, without sounding like an ardent prohibitionist. At the end of the day, Cuomo's been the main impediment to legalization for at least 3 years now. I'm glad it's done now, but this fucker deserves little credit.

The saddest part is, he's feeling the pressure from his errors in regards to live women rather than from those that have died.

Well, he killed half the grannies in NY and covered it up to help out one of his rich friends. I guarantee that's the same reason he's stonewalled legalization for years: it would've hurt the pocketbooks of his buddies. Not this "gateway drug" bullshit.

Also, I don't get people who hated Trump but love Cuomo. They're literally the same person. Talking like New York street toughs despite having their soft asses coddled by their rich daddies since birth.

Top Bottom