New York Cannabis News

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
sounds like small qty and high prices are the game plan.

NY is claiming to have another 150 stores at some point. ALL supposedly can only offer products produced in NY State. Great for those previous hemp farmers, also seems like a way to keep the store prices sky high, as well as obviously limiting product choices. Hopefully, within a year, or when the novelty wears off, and folks are no longer lining up around the block, people may decide to vote with their wallets. These store prices are basically 2x what I pay for legit, imported products, and I have a lot of choices. To protect these new “legal” stores opening, the law will come down hard on unlicensed stores.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
These store prices are basically 2x what I pay for legit, imported products, and I have a lot of choices. To protect these new “legal” stores opening, the law will come down hard on unlicensed stores.
Ok Rusty ... can you please share these sources for legit, imported product?

NYC_Frank,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
NY is claiming to have another 150 stores at some point. ALL supposedly can only offer products produced in NY State
There will always be black and gray cannabis, just like Moonshine isn't going anywhere, because commercial trade in both will always be regulated in some way.
I love getting cannabis from a local gardener, a new development for me!

But, to your statement,
There is no state that allows product from out of state! Part of the main problem for pricing across the spectrum is NO interstate commerce. It would change everything if allowed...

From the article I linked, above.
"After the first 175 CAURD stores open, New York will open more application windows."
There will be a lot more than 150 stores in NY State. This social justice program is bold and unfortunately, so far is looking awkward in execution. And it is prioritized over other licences. Even currently open med dispensaries have to wait and then it will cost them $2 million for a rec license.

I dont think there is a grand conspiracy to drive prices high. There are simply huge inefficiencies in the markets, most of which are the growing pains of our culture emerging from a century-long prohibition clusterfuck.

And some people will pay a lot for fancy weed!

howie105

NY state's super slow progress is causing an artificial market to exist, where prices in regulated recreational shops can be anywhere between 30% to 40% more expensive than their unregulated competitors for similar products. Until inequality in pricing and expanded availability is successfully addressed, the black and gray markets will continue to flourish. I fear the state's approach is more likely to be more legal and police suppression of the gray and black marketeers. Well, at least we can now legally grow, for now.

RustyOldNail

NY state's super slow progress is causing an artificial market to exist, where prices in regulated recreational shops can be anywhere between 30% to 40% more expensive than their unregulated competitors for similar products. Until inequality in pricing and expanded availability is successfully addressed, the black and gray markets will continue to flourish. I fear the state's approach is more likely to be more legal and police suppression of the gray and black marketeers. Well, at least we can now legally grow, for now.

TRUE!
Looking at the current prices at the websites of the 3 NYC legal stores, in many categories (limited NY supplied choices), the prices are as much as 50% more then the quality of similar products I can access. Hoping time, and a market reality check, will force lower prices, as legal “novelty” wears off.

Razhumikin

Yea, i have no desire to spend $130 pre tax on a1/2 O when i can get a similar quality full O with no tax from a store for $125. Somethings gotta give.

florduh

Yea, i have no desire to spend $130 pre tax on a1/2 O when i can get a similar quality full O with no tax from a store for $125. Somethings gotta give.

It sounds like what's gonna give is they're gonna shut down the store offering $125 oz's. Unfortunately.

Is NYC tacking on additional taxes as well, or is it just regular sales tax?

florduh,

Razhumikin

It sounds like what's gonna give is they're gonna shut down the store offering $125 oz's. Unfortunately.

Yea i mean, well see. For all their big talk now about it, there are literally thousands of stores selling weed in nyc, and theyve shut down like 4 over the last couple of months. They dont have the manpower and the political will is mostly lacking, so idk what in actuality they will do.

florduh

Yea i mean, well see. For all their big talk now about it, there are literally thousands of stores selling weed in nyc, and theyve shut down like 4 over the last couple of months. They dont have the manpower and the political will is mostly lacking, so idk what in actuality they will do.

I don't think they ever successfully got rid of every grey market dispo in LA. And if we're talking about grey market delivery services.... fuggedaboutit.

RustyOldNail

They will certainly try to shut them down, now threatening the owners of the buildings, a store might be located in. Similar to IRS, they can’t audit everyone, but a few high profile cases, scares the general public. But even so, there are a lot of suppliers that don’t need a physical location.

I heard there is an additional TAX of 13%…..
Stupid HIGH prices, SIN TAX, no product choices, only NY State sources, this has gone down worse than I originally thought….

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Wonder if lower illicit prices are due to NYS farmers unloading crops targeted for the legal market, but forced to push onto the grey market due to store roll out delays?

If so, are the grey market prices for high quality flower "real" or desperation resulting from the delay?

Photonic,

Razhumikin

Wonder if lower illicit prices are due to NYS farmers unloading crops targeted for the legal market, but forced to unload onto the grey market due to store roll out delays?

If so, are the grey market prices for high quality flower "real" or desperation resulting from the delay?
Almost none of the grey market weed is from ny, its virtually all from california.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Most upstate NY growers, were hemp.
Love the variety from experienced CA growers….
I'm curious who was going to supply the NYS storefronts if the roll out proceeded on time? I was under the impression NYS hemp growers got priority when applying for cannabis grow licenses.

Photonic,

Razhumikin

I'm curious who was going to supply the NYS storefronts if the roll out proceeded on time? I was under the impression NYS hemp growers got priority when applying for cannabis grow licenses.
Presumably the same people who provide the current medical market, its never been a large section of the market here compared to grey/black market

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Found this article (most relevant ones seem to be behind pay walls):

"Growers have had to scramble to preserve cannabis flower it had planned to sell raw, now that there are far fewer places to sell it. They've also had to rethink how they process and store their product."

I found a list of licensed NYS cannabis growers and there was a whole lot of them last year!

vinnyzan

Im not worried about the high prices, Im just happy my hard earned money is going to justice effected individuals like Charles! ( Ceo of the non profit to open first store in nyc)

Key Employees and OfficersCompensation
CHARLES KING (PRESIDENT & CEO)$423,730

vinnyzan

Regulated dispensaries in nyc selling concentrates $70 for a HALF gram! I don't know about the rest of you but that's absolute insanity to me. Meanwhile Gray market is popping off. Visited a few stores in queens this weekend and on my way from one to another I was seeing these little stores and trucks popping up EVERYWHERE.

I feel like quality dosen't match prices for flower at the 3 regulated dispensaries. As far as concentrates go, they were added to the menu pretty recently so I'm hoping we see the prices come down alot.

I think I need to book a vacation to another state like Maine or something to get a good first legal experience. NY is just not it....

vapirtoo

I was just in Michigan, and legally bought two Muha disposable pens, 100 grams of gummies, and
they threw in a free eight of bud all for $33 bucks.
The weed was regular; I left it in my room and flew back with the pens and gummies.
NYC Grey market stores suck! I buy from trusted friends and growers.

Top Bottom