New York Cannabis News

vinnyzan

Yea i have the OG Kush and its pretty nice. It definitely needed a few days with a 62% boveda, but now that its been rehydrated and cured a little more, it tastes nice, especially so for such a cheap O.
Stopped by yesterday and grabbed a zip of the og kush for $125, definitely a good deal for some decent bud. I didn't notice the big jars in the back the first time I went so thanks for mentioning! I'm going to keep going back here and trying the different strains on display. They have a nice selection but not too overwhelming.

Razhumikin

Stopped by yesterday and grabbed a zip of the og kush for $125, definitely a good deal for some decent bud. I didn't notice the big jars in the back the first time I went so thanks for mentioning! I'm going to keep going back here and trying the different strains on display. They have a nice selection but not too overwhelming.
Glad you liked it! The pineapple og and the gg#4 they have now are really great for the price. A new store also opened up like, right across the street from them, called the coughy shop, and there bud is competetively priced with bud n budder with greater variety, and is also pretty nice.

Summer

Long Island, NY

Disappointingly, no towns in Nassau opted in for sales & only 4 in Suffolk:

"All of the towns and municipalities within Nassau County have opted out, so there is nowhere for an aspiring entrepreneur to potentially go and start a retail cannabis business," he said.

There are only four areas in Suffolk that will permit the sale of cannabis: The Town of Babylon, Town of Brookhaven, Riverhead and Southampton."

vapviking

Old & In the Way
"All of the towns and municipalities within Nassau County have opted out, so there is nowhere for an aspiring entrepreneur to potentially go and start a retail cannabis business," he said.

Unfortunately, LI, where I grew up, has continued to become an Isle of very conservative, materialistic, often intolerant people.
I was almost run off the road by a drunk Trump train of $100k suvs on the Expressway a couple of years ago.

Simply going to the beach still means seeing Trump flags and ridiculous displays of 'patriotism' and entitlement all over the place. Very often these are police and fd members.
I think the air is one of, "I got mine and fuck everybody else."
Nassau & Suffolk don't need legal cannabis as much as they need a mega infusion of pyschedelics into the water supply.

I suppose large swaths of the state and country run this way. It is more striking here in a generally blue down-state.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Unfortunately, LI, where I grew up, has continued to become an Isle of very conservative, materialistic, often intolerant people.

Sad but true ... you really wonder if legal cannibis will stay in place long term for upstate and L.I. ... thank God for NYC is all I can say 😎🌿

vinnyzan

I was almost run off the road by a drunk Trump train of $100k suvs on the Expressway a couple of years ago.

Simply going to the beach still means seeing Trump flags and ridiculous displays of 'patriotism' and entitlement all over the place. Very often these are police and fd members.
I think the air is one of, "I got mine and fuck everybody else."
Nassau & Suffolk don't need legal cannabis as much as they need a mega infusion of pyschedelics into the water supply.

I suppose large swaths of the state and country run this way. It is more striking here in a generally blue down-state.
Who actually gets to make the decision whether the town or municipality opts in or out ? I think blaming conservatives for cannabis prohibition in NYS is a reach. I would just like to point out that NYS as a whole is deep deep blue.. do the democrats who have ran the state for decades get a pass for not legalizing sooner ?

Seems like you suffer from TDS. What beaches are you visiting where people are bringing political flags with them ?

vinnyzan,
Reactions: Summer

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Who actually gets to make the decision whether the town or municipality opts in or out ? I think blaming conservatives for cannabis prohibition in NYS is a reach.
Each municipality (town or village) was given until Dec.31, 2021 to opt out of allowing cannabis sales. So, the elected board in each town or village had to actively put on their agenda and vote to opt out. If they didn’t act, sales would be allowed, with no going back. Now that they have done so, each municipality would need a referendum on a ballot to allow any cannabis stores.
So, cautious boards tended to vote to opt out, which is not unusual, but in Nassau County it was ALL of them and that was the remarkable thing, to me.
I don't blame conservatives for cannabis prohibition in NYS, I think there's blame all around for that!
What beaches are you visiting where people are bringing political flags with them ?
Rbt. Moses State Park.

vapviking,

vinnyzan

Now that they have done so, each municipality would need a referendum on a ballot to allow any cannabis stores.

That's seems like an ass backwards kind of way to do things. They should have done a ballot referendum to opt in or out.Maybe I am overlooking the logistics of something like that?

I feel like people on these town boards are not a good barometer of what the majority of the residents actually want. You already mentioned one reason they may have opted out: just being cautious kind of a wait and see approach. Another reason could be a reaction to a vocal minority.

I would bet alot of money that if it was left to ballot referendum from the beginning we would see vastly different results.

With the current laws on growing your own, it seems like Long Island residents are getting the shaft!

vinnyzan,
Reactions: vapviking

vapviking

Old & In the Way
gross...
Also chatting about this over in NYC Best Vape Spots thread, I posted NYTimes article and had some comments there;
This article does name Empire as one of the stores from which goods were tested.

Noteworthy is the source of funding, the medical cannabis trade association. Obviously their business is threatened by competition.
The article is disturbing nonetheless.
As far as bud is concerned, who knows if there's any difference compared to flower we've been getting for decades around NY?

I can admit I'm disturbed by the marketing and packaging of edibles, when they mimic brands of straight candy. I wonder wtf else those folks will do, to their product. Yuck.
I sure am happy to have fallen into a fresh harvest of some local, organic Skittlez.

But, damn, I was about to stop in Empire today for some wax and live resin carts...
Probably still will...
The NY Medical Cannabis Industry Association. Huh. They are the only ones currently selling legal cannabis in NYS, could they maybe have a conflict of interest supporting and running this study? I think maybe "Independent Lab" or even State run lab would hold more credibility.

vinnyzan

Didn't expect a place to open up over night like this, I must say I am pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to stop by this weekend. I'm going to keep my expectations for selection low and just celebrate how fast we went from permits being issued to having a store open up.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
After looking at the current menu prices, I’ll still buy from a “friend”.

Some samples:
Flower: $55-$60 for -1/8 = $420-$480/oz
Distillate Cart: $95.00/1gm
Gummy’s: $30 for 100mg

What happened to the glut of flower and low prices? Even considering the addition of extreme taxation, don’t see how this is going to reduce black market. Not even sure of the quality of flower grown only in NY State, by former “hemp” only farmers, though I assume they can adapt. (someone posted an article just on that). Will check back in a year from now to see how this goes….. :(

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: macbill

840_divided_by_two

Some samples:

What happened to the glut of flower and low prices? Even considering the addition of extreme taxation, don’t see how this is going to reduce black market. Not even sure of the quality of flower grown only in NY State, by former “hemp” only farmers, though I assume they can adapt. (someone posted an article just on that). Will check back in a year from now to see how this goes….. :(

I prefer the NYC delivery services - I'm hooked up with a "friend" with a lightlab and tests everything they "gift"

vinnyzan

Some samples:

To add to your point I think that $60 1/8th you mentioned will probably be like $68-67 with tax.
Don't forget there's a per milligram of Thc tax(different for flower,edibles and concentrates). I find that insane, as It seems like everyone is in agreement that the percentages dispensaries list are all bullshit. I wonder if I'm entitled to a tax refund if I get independent testing and the thc percentage is lower than advertised. isn't bud with over 20% thc kinda rare ? Yet all dispensaries seem to list numerous strains between 21-25%.
I can't wait for them to get some concentrates on the menu, I still haven't made it out there since they close kind of early.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
To add to your point I think that $60 1/8th you mentioned will probably be like $68-67 with tax.

Geez, I was so shocked at the HIGH prices, I forgot they wack you again with more TAX…
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a good thing that folks can go to a legal store to buy something that has been illegal forever.
But, this has turned out exactly as I predicted. Lack of choice and stupid HIGH prices.
It will take time to see if this model is sustainable, or not. I’m sure the black market is celebrating….

My stupid fantasy has always been to have access to the types of dispensaries I see online in the early legal states, with lots of choices, reasonable prices, and even discount sales. I thought my “friends” prices of $40/gram for an imported distillate cart was a bit much, but paying 2x that or more in these licensed stores, makes that look cheap now. These same carts priced online are $20-25.
Sad really…. :(

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: vinnyzan

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Geez, I was so shocked at the HIGH prices, I forgot they wack you again with more TAX…
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a good thing that folks can go to a legal store to buy something that has been illegal forever.
But, this has turned out exactly as I predicted. Lack of choice and stupid HIGH prices.
It will take time to see if this model is sustainable, or not. I’m sure the black market is celebrating….
Patience may see this through to a decent equilibrium. I hope we older folks live so long!
NY only has one legal store open in the whole state so far. Why give it away? It's a retailer's dream at the moment.
It took MA a few years to begin to normalize (if we can call it that?).
Now, at least some sub-200 ozs are around, and sometimes even better.

Legalization in NY has also emboldened small home grows, even though that won't really be legal until next year.
I recently picked up a quantity of great local organic Skittlez at 1970's price.

If I recall correctly, sales tax in NY will max out at 13%. (I may be off be one or two...) which is lower than most.
One member in Calli said his combined tax is 33%!

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I've written about the Maine market. At first there were too few stores and prices were very high. Now two years in there's a glut of dispensaries, prices are lower in spite of inflation, and specials give low prices for good quality goods. So the competition has resulted in fantastic products and decent prices, all lab tested. I'm actually feeling frustrated that I can't vape stuff quickly enough to warrant going back to try more different things.

Re: Black Market: Given the prevalence of fentanyl in so many heavier drugs distributed by black market dealers, its clear that the black marketers spit on human life and are among the most vile greedy filth on the planet, possibly even exceeding the greed of the biggest most ruthless corporations. They couldn't care less about what crap is in their weed and if it causes us harm. I would much rather pay more, have stuff that's lab tested, than give these human waste products a penny of my money.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Re: Black Market: Given the prevalence of fentanyl in so many heavier drugs distributed by black market dealers, its clear that the black marketers spit on human life and are among the most vile greedy filth on the planet, possibly even exceeding the greed of the biggest most ruthless corporations. They couldn't care less about what crap is in their weed and if it causes us harm. I would much rather pay more, have stuff that's lab tested, than give these human waste products a penny of my money.
True in many cases, like where cartels and gangs and stuff procreate, BUT

It is all too easy to lump local, caring farmers into the "black/illegal" category with the stigmas attached.
If you buy tomatoes from a farm stand, no testing! are those black market? I'm absolutely delighted by getting local organic cannabis direct from the horticulturist who grew it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Second legal dispensary open today homies
This is kinda fucked up, a publicity thing to help jump start the state CUARD program, imo.
The store is a "pop-up", defined in the article to mean they will close in a month after this soft opening while they then build out the store, to reopen later in the year.
All the best to them, sounds like small qty and high prices are the game plan.
I just don't know about the cannagar, just don't know.

vapviking,
Top Bottom