Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
"Early in the morning" ... even though it's not

Had to add another Harry tune to crank things up on Sunday night before the 4th ... somehow I always see a helicopter when listening to this song

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Though often covered, you can't post these versions in the 'Cover tunes' thread cuz he fuckin' wrote 'em! The originals are waaaay too early for this thread, these however, were recorded the year I was shit out, 1966:

Skip James - Hard Times Killing Floor Blues

Skip James - I'm So Glad

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Ok, I'll post again...

Possibly my all-time fav jazz pianist and studio album... amazing to think this was out of print for so long, too (Octave). Upon meeting Bob Cranshaw (bassist) at a Milt Jackson show in the early 90s at the DeCordova Sculpture Park in Lincoln, MA, and told we were spinning 'Magician' constantly on vinyl since finding a mint condition one at a yard sale recently, he said, "You are among the Chosen few" and then proceeded to offer my buddy bass lessons if he wanted to drive/move to NYC...haha!

From the label:

"The selections Garner committed to tape in the fall of 1973 include what may be some of his best original compositions, alongside a series of timeless contemporary takes on American Songbook classics. Though It would turn out to be the final studio album of his life, it makes clear that Garner was continuing to innovate on his distinctly individualistic style, and surely would have for decades to come."

I cannot recommend this enough, enjoy!:

Erroll Garner Magician 1973 (2020 remastering)
0:10 (They Long to Be) Close to You
4:45 It Gets Better Every Time
9:10 Someone to Watch Over Me
13:30 Nightwind
19:08 One Good Turn
22:25 Watch What Happens
25:28 Yesterdays
29:21 I Only Have Eyes for You
34:28 Mucho Gusto
38:08 Grill on the Hill

ERROLL GARNER, piano
BOB CRANSHAW, electric bass
GRADY TATE, drums
JOSE MANGUAL, congas
NORMAN GOLD, organ
JACKIE WILLIAMS, tambourine

Last edited:

Okla68

RE: This post in thread 'Cover Tunes' :tup::

https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/cover-tunes.35077/post-1734709

Billy Preston - Them Changes (1972)

Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing (1974)

✌️& ❤️
Ran into Billy several times as he visited Leons house about 6 blocks from my house in Tulsa at the time in 1974. Was on my normal bicycle riding route !
They both performed at an outdoor concert at the Stock Car racing track infield.....1st time I combusted outside in a Public setting. It was a 4th of July, 104°F, back when you could carry in coolers, spread out a blanket and Party. Security Inside the track was handled privately(Tulsa Police outside the gates, none inside)so, no real hassle for the joints being covertly passed around. Picked up a Environmental flag. 3ft x 4ft Green and White stripes instead of Red/White. The field of Blue with stars was replaced with a field of Green with a large lower case "e" instead. Hung on my glass paned front door for several years. (yes, it was a Hippie house, lol)

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Sorry for the THIS double post....dont know how to remove it !
No worries brotha, I got it. All you do is click the "Report" link at the bottom of the post and the mods will take care of it...:tup:

Maybe a little more "mainstream" than I usually bother to post here, but I still love 'em anyway:

James Gang - Funk #49 (1969)
(this album was released on January 1st, 1970... how cool is THAT?)

James Gang - Walk Away (1971)

I wanted to post the awesome old live vids but they were restricted to YouPube viewing only....:(

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Last night was Elton John's last (touring) concert.
I've jumped past his remarks to the Stockholm crowd, 52 yrs to the day since he first played there.
Though not exactly my fav genre, his music has been part of the soundtrack to mine and to so many lives, and still touches me, it is very potent pop music and he has certainly made his mark on the world.

I don't know if he ended every show of this 5 year tour like this, but the effect at the end, more than a minute after the song's end, is just super.

(I recently 'added' Rocket Man to my humble repertoire, I play it on a 12-string guitar and jammed it with my old buddies who play dobro and fiddle, that was a blast! It's actually kind of empowering to sing that one!)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Woah, his final recording. I've never heard this before... I know what I'm doing for the next couple of hours!:

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Live at the Gaslight Café, NYC (1971) <-click text for info

Set 1
01 - (00:00:00) - Shake 'Em On Down
02 - (00:03:37) - Fred's Worried Blues
03 - (00:08:05) - Jesus is on the mainline
04 - (00:11:53) - Mercy
05 - (00:19:05) - When The Saints Go Marchin' In
06 - (00:21:47) - Someday Baby
07 - (00:25:56) - The Lovin' Blues
08 - (00:30:03) - White Lightnin'
09 - (00:33:08) - You Got To Move
10 - (00:38:23) - Louise
11 - (00:43:46) - Baby Please Don't Go

Set 2
12 - (00:47:35) - Goin' To The River (Carry My Rocking Chair)
13 - (00:53:02) - Shake 'Em On Down
14 - (00:56:35) - 61 highway
15 - (01:02:13) - John Henry
16 - (01:07:36) - My Babe
17 - (01:11:02) - I'm Crazy 'Bout You Baby
18 - (01:15:58) - Red Cross Store
19 - (01:20:13) - Levee Camp Blues
20 - (01:25:52) - Good Mornin' Little Schoolgirl
21 - (01:30:22) - Don't Mistreat Nobody (Cause You Got A Few Dimes)
22 - (01:35:17) - Get Right Church
23 - (01:39:39) - Good Night (Spoken Outro)

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Yeah yeah, I know '81... close enough! I'm too excited for the holiday! Here's a couple easily digestible tracks from my fav KC album, 'Discipline' (if you couldn't tell already :rolleyes:). Enjoy!:

Elephant Talk

Indiscipline

coolbreeze

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
  • Love
Reactions: Bologna

oldfool

Thanks, @NYC_Frank, always a pleasure to see and hear Linda in the morning talking undergarments
Linda is famous for never wearing a bra, occasionally panties and rarely shoes onstage.

She refused to wear a bra on the Glen Campbell show which infuriated the censors but she gave in to June Carter's requests to wear panties.

Last edited:
Top Bottom