• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Music from the 1950's through early 60's - The early days of Rock & Roll

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
We have a great thread for the mid 60's through the 70's, but 50's music also has a special place in my heart.

Please feel free to add any songs you wish from any year between 1950 and 1964 at any time if interested.
If you have some favorites, post them up!

I hope these songs will bring back memories for some, and maybe introduce some great music to new listeners. I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea. If you haven't given the 50's much of a try, I recommend closing your eyes and just listen to the song. A few dabs of a nice indica works too.

I might post up a few songs per year then switch it up, but that's just me. I think I'm gonna start in the middle with 1956 and then go from there. Here we go...

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?

I'll go with this little piece off the King of the Surf Guitar's first album. I know this is pushing it close to the "age-limit" on songs being from 62 but you can totally see how Dale and his surf rock sound would come to influence all kinds of later rock!

ChooChooCharlie

I was evil and posted Ventures vids in late 60s-70s music thread

Now more evil still, posting 90s reimagined early 60s music

Perhaps this homage to surf sounds suffices, hope @ataxian approves

Saw the good reverend at Toads in New Haven early 90s, when he was a bit more energetic, sniff sniff. Weren't we all?

It's the 50s-60s thought that counts...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I was evil and posted Ventures vids in late 60s-70s music thread

Now more evil still, posting 90s reimagined early 60s music

Perhaps this homage to surf sounds suffices, hope @ataxian approves

Saw the good reverend at Toads in New Haven early 90s, when he was a bit more energetic, sniff sniff. Weren't we all?

It's the 50s-60s thought that counts...
The style of sound is very SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SURF or BEACH BLANKET BINGO?

BabyFacedFinster

Great stuff! The early sixties had a ton of great sounds. The surfer craze, the dance craze, the motown sound, etc. Keep it coming.

1956 - Can't We Be Sweethearts - The Cleftones

The Cleftones are one of my favorite groups from the 50's. I think this one showed up in the Good Fellas soundtrack. A lot of great songs were featured in those 1950's era mafia movies.

BabyFacedFinster

1958 - Over and Over - Bobby Day

Bobby Day wrote Over and Over, along with Little Bitty Pretty One which was a hit for both Thurston Harris and Frankie Lymon. However, he is best remembered for his biggest hit on the charts - Rockin' Robin, also in '58.

This song really swings.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Late 50's tune for a mod who frequents the lounge :evil::rockon::tup::clap::lol:
Bill Monroe once said that Ira Louvin might have been the best tenor he ever knew. I've also read that he was a real son of a bitch when he was drunk. Still, his voice was powerful and not too shabby of a mandolin player too. Here's another great example:

1957 - Hoping that You're Hoping - The Louvin Brothers

and what the hell
1956 - Cash on the Barrelhead - Louvin Bros

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

I think of this song frequently when I'm expecting something in the mail.
She has the sexist rasp to her voice

Motown's very first hit! That sound was popular among the early sixties girl groups. If you listen to Mashed Potato Time by Dee Dee Sharp (1962), you can sing the lyrics to either song (which the song lyrics even mention). I bet you could also do the Wah-Watusi.

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
Harmonica lovers only! Stevie Wonder's first number one hit! And he actually composed it spur of the moment after a performance when he went back on stage for a bow but decided he wasn't done rocking the house! Major props to the stage band for improving along with him! This isn't that performance, its from after it went to number one. 1963 fingertips

Top Bottom