Milaana 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tb42091

My Mi3 arrived a day early! #317 This is my first unregulated device. It came with an extra screw that is nearly the length of the body, maybe the other temp screw? Idk it doesnt have the same head as the battery screw though - I should've taken a pic of it but I didnt - I'll get around to it. I also got 2 normal stems, 1 xl8r, and 2 smoked xl8r juniors.

I conditioned it with beeswax, gave it a little burn off and washed all the stems and then cut a screen to slide up in the stem so I could cap it with the given basket screens and to get the load further from the heater. Loaded it up with like 1/2 or 2/3 inch of relatively coarsely ground flower, with absolutely no tamp, and actually a little bit of extra space in the chamber. The long xl8r wiggles a tiny bit in the device. (I never understood XL8R - was it supposed to be XLR8R? Like accelerator? Idk I'm rambling)

I started with a fresh VTC6 and typically had to hold the button for 3 seconds as a preheat, and another 3 seconds to get vapor as I inhale - then modulate from there, often on 2-3 seconds - off 1-2 seconds and repeating that way, inhaling a couple seconds after letting off the button.

I got probably 2 extra tasty wispy hits making sure I wouldnt combust, got like 3-4 really solid hits with really good taste, 1 pretty big hit that was the downturn in taste, and 2 medium hits that finished off the bowl with relatively lousy taste. I removed the stem and tapped it 3 times throughout the session to sort of stir the pack, but when I dumped it out I was pleasantly surprised with how well extracted the whole bowl was, and pretty even too. Pics above (lmk if I screw them up :D ) - The first few hits the vapor was really cool, as the stem heated up the vapor slowly got warmer but I never felt like it was hot - remember long xl8r.

So my initial impression is, I really like it. 1000% worth the wait. Timing my button pressing definitely takes more focus than most of my other vapes but I caught on relatively quick and I assume with enough use it will become more second nature and I wont need to focus so hard. Only real qualm is my brass plate and battery door had some blemishes that havent really wiped off with iso, though I'm hoping with a little extra elbow grease I can get them in more of a mirror finish. Oh and I find the button placement kinda weird but not awkward, just weird cause the ring/middle finger operation.

It was definitely a rollercoaster getting here but I feel really good about it now that I have it in hand at a discount from retail. I know mine isnt part of the first batch but shout out to Cole who had to deal with the first shipment of Mi3s while attending school and his boss is simultaneously touring the country in his RV. :lol: and shout out to Ryan for being around and responsive over the past couple months, and working on customer service. I appreciate you @RastaBuddhaTao !

mmx

Sad to report that button gave up after like 10 days of use. Really started to like it, with right "fingering" you can get long tasteful rips with the little herb. I'm glad to see the button is easy to replace (there is also a video by yt), but I didn't expect it to fail so early. Ordered a new one from Amazon, as it will take "some" time for Ryan to ship a new one (if he ever will). Mi3 is a great device, but order an extra button just to be sure :) What I miss comparing to the Mi2 is that thick glass. It just gives you the feeling that it will never give up on you.

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Just got this new stem from @almost there. Cant wait to try it out. I like the bend and the diameter. Plus it looks f@$#ing sick!

IMG-20200502-182504-712.jpg

mmx

@RogueGuy mmmm nice, that is lamart stem, right? how does it cool vs long xl8r? I cant use short stems, too hot for me. Need to get wpa.

almost there

Is this going to fit the Mi3? I thought it was 19/19? My Lamart spiky bent does not fit my Mi2 even, just a little too long of a joint...
I actually don’t own a Mi3 so I wasn’t sure either. I had asked a friend to try the combo on his Mi3 and he confirmed it was fine so I knew it should be ok as long as there isn’t too much glass variance. Many of my Lamart stems fit the RBT vapes where I didn’t expect it to so I guess you never know

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I actually don’t own a Mi3 so I wasn’t sure either. I had asked a friend to try the combo on his Mi3 and he confirmed it was fine so I knew it should be ok as long as there isn’t too much glass variance. Many of my Lamart stems fit the RBT vapes where I didn’t expect it to so I guess you never know

yeah I just wouldn't really risk it so much with these since I know it can crack the glass... Although the glass in these is actually supposed to be much thicker as well, such variance!

mmx

@Shit Snacks What do you mean about breaking glass? If it fits like in the picture, I don't think glass can break.

@almost there Can you tell us, if there is a big variance in glass? would love to get one, but I'm not sure haha

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@Shit Snacks What do you mean about breaking glass? If it fits like in the picture, I don't think glass can break.

@almost there Can you tell us, if there is a big variance in glass? would love to get one, but I'm not sure haha
RBT glass joints for Chinese Splinters and the Milaana 3 are 19/19 while Lamart stems are 19/22. In my ignorance I expected that to just mean some of the stem joint sticks out the top if you use any Lamart stem on a Chinese manufactured RBT device like the Mi3 but in practice it actually means the Lamart glass accessories don't seat properly and can put unwanted stress on the female joint of the vape.

I own a bunch of XL8R stems and I'd still be very interested in some heavier dimpled glass cooling stems like the old heat annealed XL8R stems that Ryan of RBT used to make with a blowtorch and a screwdriver.

stinkytofus

Mi and mi2 and us splinter z are 19/22

19/22 and 19/26 are standard sizes

19 diameter/22 length

Mi3 and new rbt products are 19/19 (custom rbt size)

Lamarts 19/22 would be too long for mi3 but should work for mi1/mi2/usa splinterz

For mi3 you're better off using rbts nipple stems xl8r or xljr, they look great in clear or smoked, and the long one cools down the vapor pretty well, plus they are 13 and 17 a piece on rbts site, i dont see why other vendors charging $30 plus

Last edited:

stinkytofus

I am going to assume zion fits 19/22 since rbt switched to 19/19 not too long ago (mi3 and china made splinters)

almost there

A lot of the variance is due more to the RBT glass joint than it is the stem. When Ryan implemented the 19/19 system the glass is the same as 19/22 but the screen was elevated 3mm to make more room for the heater underneath. At the risk of going off topic- I observed my V series splinters both have 19/22 mating capability. This was what led me to have my buddy test out if the lamart stem was compatible with the Mi3. Hope this helps.

@Shit Snacks out of 8 RBT products I've owned the only glass that was ever broken came broken. Never had any issues with stems causing damage and I use stems from just about any vape that uses an 18mm stem. The only deciding factor is if it forms a seal

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

As mentioned it can create stress on the joint and/or heater screen, and though it may seem to fit, it may not actually seal. Mi3 glass should be thick at least, I had an early Splinter V2 glass crack from using a stem that seemed to fit but the joint was longer than 19mm so it created undue stress, so I came back to find it sitting there broken one day... Even though there may be a little more room than 19mm, I never risk it anymore personally, 19/19 means I don't use a stem with a shorter joint than the one that comes with it (I compare them first)

Mi and mi2 and us splinter z are 19/22

19/22 and 19/26 are standard sizes

19 diameter/22 length

Mi3 and new rbt products are 19/19 (custom rbt size)

Lamarts 19/22 would be too long for mi3 but should work for mi1/mi2/usa splinterz

For mi3 you're better off using rbts nipple stems xl8r or xljr, they look great in clear or smoked, and the long one cools down the vapor pretty well, plus they are 13 and 17 a piece on rbts site, i dont see why other vendors charging $30 plus

All Splinter Z are 19/22 even the ZV actually. But even so, some lamart stems are longer than 22mm... My nub fits fine in Mi2 and custom Z's, but the spiky bent does not (joint is visibly longer-- and remember the rimmed basket screen will add another mm or two too)

Also US Splinters before the outsourcing to China. I have one in walnut.

Were the Zions also 19/22?

Yes Zions and OG Milaana all 19/22 standard, with some variance depending on screen placement in early builds as mentioned below... glass was sourced from a few different places at different times too so there can be variance.

A lot of the variance is due more to the RBT glass joint than it is the stem. When Ryan implemented the 19/19 system the glass is the same as 19/22 but the screen was elevated 3mm to make more room for the heater underneath. At the risk of going off topic- I observed my V series splinters both have 19/22 mating capability. This was what led me to have my buddy test out if the lamart stem was compatible with the Mi3. Hope this helps.

@Shit Snacks out of 8 RBT products I've owned the only glass that was ever broken came broken. Never had any issues with stems causing damage and I use stems from just about any vape that uses an 18mm stem. The only deciding factor is if it forms a seal

Honestly I've only ever had any glass breakage with that first Splinter V2 as well, and since it was specifically from using a stem joint that was just a little too long though it seemed to fit well, I just always have to offer my words of caution as you know! I really do wish I could use the spiky bent stem in my RBT vapes securely (I can use it with a Z or Mi2 okay, but it doesn't quite fit so I have to be careful) and wish nub fit my V2! Someday I will have to find a glass worker to set me up with a lot of nice customs from what I already have that can fit everything...

Last edited:

Vapor Dude

tb42091 glad to see that you are pleased with the Milaana 3. It's structural perfection is only matched by it's uncanny ability to provide excellent results. Human modulation button control makes a low air mixture volume with denser vapor that makes sipping and puffing possible to savor the taste. I can use a standard glass mouth piece and the temp is nice.

Before The M3 I used the same heater in the RBT Splinter with increased air in the mix that changes the taste but increases vapor production. With just a mouth pieces the vapor is to hot for me. So I used water rigs to use it. I needed a micro-doseing on demand convection vape. After looking at the Fire Fly 2 I saw a mess of cleaning and clogged bowl holes.

That put me in the market for a rapid extraction vaporizer made of wood, glass that is battery powered. Then I came across the MFLB. It looks like something you'd make in high school wood shop. It drapes SS mesh over 2 brass electrodes powered by a "peeled" 2600 mAh battery, Shake and sip operation with poor extraction is a no can do for me. The price tag of 110$ is steep for a vaporizer that needs you to buy a finishing grinder to bring the herb to fine consistency. Just as I gave up, I stumbled onto the RBT M3 Presale and paid. My wait was worth it. The M3 has a level of maturity and design that will never cease to amaze me with cooler vapor and a mouth piece.

The MFLB Orbiter water rig rocks. It compliments the M3 in vapor collection and max coolness of vapor. You need a Dynavap Fat mouth piece, or such to fit the hose to the mouth piece. The water pipe is small or as my GF says "cute" so it can fit in her purse and used on picnics. I can fill the Orbiter and let her hit it. She can't work the M3 vape. Keeps the 175/500 M3 safer from damage.

We have 21st century inventions, hope all of ya enjoy the freedom. Peace

Last edited:

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Hey folks... happy to report that the last few Mi3s will be out on Monday along with the last button for repair. There are a few in for a button swap which will be done next week.

So, by week end all Mi3s should be out to their owners and cranking out vapor :)

Over the past few weeks nearly 150 customer request have been attended to so if you need anything please email me at ryan@rastabuddhatao.com as I am sure there are still some loose ends to tie up.

Thanks to all for your patience with another RBT pre-order fiasco... thinking its best to call that the last one lol. The Seed and the ZapZap-ZipZap will be sold when the boxes of validated production units are stacked high in 6-8 months. Until then... Im gonna chill and see this great country. Jah Bless the US!

Big ups to @pakalolo and @Stu for keeping FC together... sure do hope I can still post here this afternoon :)

Lozo

Has anyone darkened / aged the contact or base plate on their Mi3? I'm in the process of replacing the button and thought I might try this while I wait for my part to arrive.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm waiting for time to take its' toll, but my first thought was salt, then I saw this about salt and vinegar forcing patina brass. Nice picture;
https://craftandlore.com/blogs/journal/17382737-forcing-patina-on-brass-edc
(obviously, not good for any battery-contact parts)

Has anyone thought to suggest that RBT market the guitar pick as a guitar pick? Without the hole, maybe in, light, med, heavy like standard Fender? Or whatever, really, the look of the Mi3's is tres cool, pearlized w/logo. I'm not even a flashy pick kinda player, but I'd buy me some! Interesting promo item, but please don't put any advert on it...

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I'm waiting for time to take its' toll, but my first thought was salt, then I saw this about salt and vinegar forcing patina brass. Nice picture;
https://craftandlore.com/blogs/journal/17382737-forcing-patina-on-brass-edc
(obviously, not good for any battery-contact parts)

Has anyone thought to suggest that RBT market the guitar pick as a guitar pick? Without the hole, maybe in, light, med, heavy like standard Fender? Or whatever, really, the look of the Mi3's is tres cool, pearlized w/logo. I'm not even a flashy pick kinda player, but I'd buy me some! Interesting promo item, but please don't put any advert on it...
It totally makes sense to suggest that idea but all the other guitarists I know are particular about picks and personally I'd rather Ryan stick to vapes and not fuck around with branded merch of any kind.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It totally makes sense to suggest that idea but all the other guitarists I know are particular about picks and personally I'd rather Ryan stick to vapes and not fuck around with branded merch of any kind.
Picks are like vapes, you can like more than one while of course having a favorite.
I've made a fifty+ year study of them! ;)

Ryan could just license his logo for a small run of picks and pass that ball to someone else. (I don't mean like the Cole thing!) Somebody, somewhere has made them already, for Mi3. It's a relatively simple thing to not punch the hole!

I get it about branded merch, but I think the logo is stunning, though I'd actually despise a pick if there were text or other branding; that's one of the great things about rbt products in general.

vapviking,

mmx

Got a replacement button (not the original one) meanwhile waiting for the original one (thanks Ryan for sending it out). It works the same, but it's smaller and just feels wrong. :rofl:

mmx,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom