MaxVapor E-Nail - 2018 Version

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I loved mine but also only used its most basic functions and never fucked with the web... It could have been such a revolutionary unit, but understandably difficult to develop.

I admit, I don't think I have turned mine on since getting a temp gauge (dab rite) a couple years ago. I've fully gone back to the torch.

FlyingLow,

JigMelon

Reminder that JCat's FCEnail is still a thing, he is still active. Wish I could have continued my HexNail projects but was asked not to.

JigMelon,
Reactions: JCat

PoopMachine

Reminder that JCat's FCEnail is still a thing, he is still active. Wish I could have continued my HexNail projects but was asked not to.

I reached out to him back in March and he said there are no plans to make anymore but he might make a run in the future.

PoopMachine,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat , How you gonna like that and not reply? :)
As things currently stand, I would love to make some, if I had the time :) Unfortunately, there are a couple things making this difficult:

1. Planning on having the next version use the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 as a base, to allow using Ubuntu Core as the OS, but there is still no hardware available. The chip shortage is still affecting the availability of these boards. (I can get one for an extra $100 or so, but that's crazy for a $15 board).

Upgrading to Ubuntu Core would make me 100% confident in the ability to deploy updates in a robust/reliable way. As things currently stand, although I can push updates, should someone power off their unit mid-way through the update, it may not recover gracefully. If these units were running Ubuntu Core (not possible on the RPi Zero W 1), then this would be a 100% non-issue as it's a hardenned read-only OS designed to run appliances. This is a primary reason I haven't pushed more updates!

2. Just don't have the time right now! In the process of building a house (and I'm my own general contractor on this)

3. Building these is hugely unprofitable :lol: ... for the couple hundred I make on these, and the labour required for build/assembly/testing, I'm making much less then minimum wage. So to build these I have to have the time/inclination, as in order to actually make it worth my time,, I would have to charge at least $1,000/unit, which to me seems insane!

Glad to hear that everyone is still happy with their current units :)

Top Bottom