Making hash with dry ice

tgvp

Sorry if this was already asked somewhere, but I couldn't find as "dry" and "ice" both have less than 3 letters, I can't search those.

For the context, I own filter bags for making bubble hash but the washing machine got lost somewhere. Fortunately, I have a friend who work in a lab and has sometimes access to dry ice (that shit is expensive! Here minimal buy is 7kg for ~70 bucks...). And I have 2 plants in the freezer that are asking for some love, so I want to be ready for the day I receive the dry ice.
I've check online and 2 main techniques are displayed, either a large screen is fixed on a frame and a mix of ice and weed is shaken on it or for those who have got bubble bags, the mix is put inside and the bag (70u) is shaken for 1-2 mins over a glass table then eventually transferred to a second bag (>120u) with larger mesh and operation repeated.
But I haven't seen anybody doing it like with the (water ice) bubble hash, stacking "bottomless" buckets like let's say a 25u -> 70u -> 120u and shaking the working bag on top of all. Is it because without a solvent like water, the trichomes won't fall from a layer to the next as easily? Or is it that the workload is just overkill compared to the (supposedly) improved filtering?

tgvp

Only 73u? No second larger filter? As an engineer by trade, I can't believe at first when something looks so easy 😅

GoldenBud

Only 73u? No second larger filter? As an engineer by trade, I can't believe at first when something looks so easy 😅
well, it's not too easy to get the dry ice + not everyone has a flat cleaned surface like this ;)
but yes definitely easier than regular ice :D

GoldenBud,
Reactions: tgvp

RxPlorer

also 73u screen will work well, i don't think u need 25u / 120u too:
That seemed like decent quality for how simple it was.

And you could probably increase purity by doing a static separation in a steel mixing bowl. Very cool

RxPlorer

If you're going to try a dry ice method, I don't know if using the bubble bags is a good idea since things can get pretty brittle at those temperatures. Stretched/flat screens would be less likely to break in those conditions, I'd think.

i think that would only be a concern for the top screen, if you're stacking sizes.

RxPlorer,

tgvp

You're right, for the first try, I might use the work bag over the real filter bag to.be sure not to ruin the good one (and replace only that one if it fails)

tgvp,

GoldenBud

I think the reason many people choose to make water-ice hash and not dry-ice is because dry-ice breaks the trichomes aggressively other than water-ice, but not sure. somebody once explained it to me. but it is still gonna be awesome.. and requires less technique or so..

GoldenBud,

Farid

Yes, dry ice introduces a ton of plant matter because it makes the flower so brittle that it crumbles into dust. Depending on what you're using it for you may or may not care.

The bigger issue is that the dry ice itself may introduce contaminants from its manufacturing process. To be fair, ice water hash can do the same if the water is not filtered well, but that's something you can control for.

I would just use your bubble bags as is, and hand stir (this can make a better product than with a washing machine if done well). Or just use your bags to dry sift.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I would just use your bubble bags as is, and hand stir (this can make a better product than with a washing machine if done well).
Seconded. Washing machine is for commercial quality. Hand stir for premium! (but lower yield). I always repeat the process with more ice once and get almost as much (same quality) in the second extraction.

Having a spray bottle with ice water handy to spray the stuff down from the sides of the bags helps, and also all-mesh bags will give better yields!
My friend who is a master at these things has moved from ice to dry sift and not looking back- but you need to do that in freezing cold winter days or work inside a fridge for best results, and you need a good screen.

Last edited:
Haze Mister,
Reactions: GoldenBud
Top Bottom