• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Magma and Obsidian Volcano Bubblers

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Hey FC,

I saw some interest in Magma and Obsidian pop up in the Volcano thread, so I figured I’d stop by to introduce myself and answer any questions you guys may have! The mods also suggested I start I thread here so that I can compile all your questions as a sort of encyclopedia of usage and tips/help that I can point to if stuff comes up in the Volcano thread.

So with that… I’m Ryan, the founder/owner of Magma Industries. I’ve been a Volcano user and vapor enthusiast for close to ten years now, and have visited this site a few times, but never representing a company. Like many of you, I used to put my Volcano bags up to the downstem of my waterpipe for a bit of extra filtration as I felt the vapor tended to be a little hot and dry. It definitely works, but I new there had to be a better way, or at least something more elegant. The results are Magma and Obsidian (www.magma-industries.com) which attach directly to the Easy Valve Herbal Chamber and forces your vapor through water immediately before entering the bag. This action puts the water vapor/humidity at 100% relative humidity for the maximum possible effect. A nice review from VolcanoTips can be seen here.

I’ll try and address some of the questions that have come up in the Volcano thread now, and if you have anything else you’d like to add I’ll try to answer as quickly as possible on here. You can also feel free to shoot an email to support@magma-industries.com with any questions/comments/concerns and is usually the quickest way to get a response from me.

The biggest thing that was coming up in the Volcano thread as a concern from people was the use of ISO to Magma. Magma is made of a polymer resin (plastic) that is very similar in chemical composition to Polycarbonate with an extremely high heat resistance (transition/melt temp in excess of 500F). It is similar to the black plastic ring that surrounds the heat source of your Volcano that the Herbal Chamber rests on. Because of this, MAGMA IS COMPLETELY SAFE TO USE WITH ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. It has no effect on the material, and I use both 99% ISO and Grunge Off to clean my Magma regularly.

I also get the question about how Magma is put together, and what kind of “glue” is used. The answer is NONE. This was very important to me when I designed Magma, and I wanted to ensure to safest and cleanest joining mechanism. All the joints are Ultrasonically Welded together, which essentially vibrates the parts while under pressure until they melt into each other and become one single piece. There are no solvents or glues used at any time in the process, and once the process is complete Magma is one single monolithic structure that could not otherwise be fabricated via injection molding.

I have also recently been able to introduce a Limited Edition Borosilicate Magma, which is the same geometry of the original Magma, but made of the highest quality laboratory grade borosilicate glass I could find. Its bigger brother is the Obsidian, which is made of the same borosilicate in the same facility, and features a secondary chamber below the main percolation chamber. This secondary chamber helps cool the vapor further, as well as acts as a secondary water catch incase the bag gets accidentally squeezed, or something else causes water reversal. Every Magma, LE Boro Magma, and Obsidian is made in the USA with 100% American sourced material, as it gives me the most control of the quality and closest eye on my supply chain that I can get.

Please feel free to email me or post here and I’ll always get back to you promptly with answers to any of your questions/comments/concerns.

Cheers!

-Ryan
CEO/Founder
Magma Industries

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Hey subway13029, I'm not sure if it's allowed (if not let me know and I'll take this post down!), but there's a lot of discussion on Magma and Obsidian over in the Volcano thread. As stated by one of the users in the Volcano thread: Volcano.

Do you have any particular questions that you would like answered?

Magma_Industries,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
What about the warping over time issues some people are reporting?
That and does it stress the air pump are about all the questions I can come up with.

Vapinmofo

Yes I have one.
The real problem here is the lack of science behind its design.
Bottom line is this. The chamber holds a TINY amount of water. Too little water for it to be effective at cooling a bags worth of vapor let alone cool and moisturize the vapor.

This product needs more real r and d.

Sorry I can’t be more positive clearly these guys want to capitalize on their design and packaging.

This device should be built with more precision. The S and B product is a precision unit yet one has to fiddle with o rings and tiny water droppers.
I have nothing against the people who are producing this device. Just be transparent and show us your science!!

Vapinmofo

Vapinmofo,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
S&B tends to sue anyone that starts duplicating their propierty valve design.

Water conditioning helps very little with the volcano. I’ve experimented with it for many years.

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
What about the warping over time issues some people are reporting?
That and does it stress the air pump are about all the questions I can come up with.
Hi Arb,

Care to direct me to whomever is having warping issues? I'd like to get in touch with them and sort out any issues they are having. I haven't received any complaints about warping, but any kind of warping issues are not normal and I'd be happy to replace defective units free of charge :) This goes for pretty much anything that can happen to your Magma.... If it doesn't last forever I typically will send free ones no problem.

Yes I have one.
The real problem here is the lack of science behind its design.
Bottom line is this. The chamber holds a TINY amount of water. Too little water for it to be effective at cooling a bags worth of vapor let alone cool and moisturize the vapor.

This product needs more real r and d.

Sorry I can’t be more positive clearly these guys want to capitalize on their design and packaging.

This device should be built with more precision. The S and B product is a precision unit yet one has to fiddle with o rings and tiny water droppers.
I have nothing against the people who are producing this device. Just be transparent and show us your science!!

Vapinmofo
Hi Vapinmofo,

I saw your post over in the Volcano thread as well, and I have to politely disagree. It only takes a very small amount of water to put the relative humidity of the vapor stream at 100%, and as long as the internal vents of Magma or Obsidian are covered then you will pass your hot vapor through cooler water and humidify it. There's no tricky science here.... You can literally put a hygrometer and a thermometer in the vapor stream and see the difference for yourself. I have done this and validated the cooling and humidifying mechanism myself, so please post your experimental procedure and results demonstrating your claims to the contrary.

Magma is actually made to tighter tolerances than the S&B products. Please gather 10 Easy Valve Herbal Chamber units and make simple measurements on its geometry, and you'll notice variations up to ~0.5mm variations in any of your measurements. Magma is made to 0.1mm tolerances. The O-rings are actually accommodating the variations in different Easy Valve Herbal Chambers, not the Magma inlet itself. The Boro models are made by hand, and I don't think I need to justify the need to accommodate variations in hand made products.I guarantee any Magma or Obsidian will fit whatever Easy Valve you are using, and encourage you to contact me by email if you're having issues.

S&B tends to sue anyone that starts duplicating their propierty valve design.

Water conditioning helps very little with the volcano. I’ve experimented with it for many years.

Hi Elmomuzz,

No worry about infringement, I simply make an accessory that fits onto their existing product. Sure, they could change their design and I'd be screwed, but that's not something a large corporation would do once they have a validated design. I also don't copy their design at all, Magma and Obsidian have a custom taper female joint that I designed myself. Cheers!

Vapinmofo

Asking me to do the science is different very different than you showing US. The science. I’m not trying to sell a product. You are.
Truthfully there is very little chance that something like 10 ml h2o is going to cool and moisturize 5-10 litre of vapor.
It is an insufficient amount of water.
From my perspective it up
To you to show us your science.

I will be honest I do not think there is and science that has been done.
Please prove me wrong... or make a unit with a larger capacity to hold water .

Vapinmofo

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Asking me to do the science is different very different than you showing US. The science. I’m not trying to sell a product. You are.
Truthfully there is very little chance that something like 10 ml h2o is going to cool and moisturize 5-10 litre of vapor.
It is an insufficient amount of water.
From my perspective it up
To you to show us your science.

I will be honest I do not think there is and science that has been done.
Please prove me wrong... or make a unit with a larger capacity to hold water .

Vapinmofo
Hi Vapinmofo,

Not asking you to do the science for me (because I have already done the explicit experiments, I already know the results), but to back up your claims. I have stated unequivocally that the relative humidity of the vapor is 100%, and the temperature decreases more than 100 degF when compared to non Magma vapor. I could take a picture of the thermometer and hygrometer, but I don't think that shows very much and is not very convincing over the internet. It's totally possible that increased humidity and decreased temperature won't effect your vaping experience, as everyone's is subjective, but that's also goes against the plethora of reviews from people that absolutely experience a difference. www.volcanotips.com has a nice review from someone unaffiliated with me.

Heat transfer is also a time dependent interfacial process governed by thermodynamics, and has very little to do with the total volume (unless that total volume allows for more surface area contact for the heat to transfer). The total volume will decrease due to evaporation (that's where the humidity is coming from), but there is sufficient water to last multiple sessions without the need to refill.

Cheers!

Vapinmofo

Please just show us the science.
We are being asked to take your word for it.

I propose that you show your work. Otherwise we have nothing to beleive in.

Vapinmofo

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Hi Vapinmofo,

I'll get together a video that shows the humidity increase, as that seems to be your biggest concern (lack of humidification due to humidification source volume). I don't ask you to take my word, but that of all the people who find Magma and Obsidian useful and testify to its effectiveness. You must not have watched the video I posted from an unbiased person who isn't trying to sell anything. There are testimonials all over instagram, too.

I find your premise very interesting. You are essentially theorizing that water cannot humidify or cool vapor. Do you believe all percolation methods of vapor/smoke is snake oil and completely placebo? What about all the water pipe adapters for handheld vaporizers like the Saionara? VapeExhale? I don't know if you've visited a headshop recently, but I think you'll be surprised at how many of them offer huge selections of water pipes that hold similar amounts of water to Obsidian and Magma.

I'm all for playing devil's advocate, especially for new devices, but come on man use some common sense...

arthritisbites

I have the obsidian and I really like it. I find it makes a very big difference! Ryan, would it be possible to get like 5 or 6 of the biggest size o-ring? I’m happy to pay for them, my hands are shaky sometimes and those little buggers bounce and roll! :lol:

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
I have the obsidian and I really like it. I find it makes a very big difference! Ryan, would it be possible to get like 5 or 6 of the biggest size o-ring? I’m happy to pay for them, my hands are shaky sometimes and those little buggers bounce and roll! :lol:
Hey there! You're talking the largest of the three Red O-rings that came with your Obsidian? No need to pay, I'll get a few on their way! Cheers!

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Here’s some proof for you. I will say I don’t have perfect instruments; this was done with a Fluke 971 that is only rated to 95%RH and 159 degF. Volcano Classic on 9.

Without Magma: https://m.imgur.com/TXsccGM

With Magma:
https://m.imgur.com/4p8dCnn

Thanks for the pics...validates my experience. The vapor in my bags got so humidified that it felt warmer than a dry bag. It was so different that it felt weird at first.

arthritisbites

I actually don’t use my volcano anymore without the obsidian on it. Before I had the obsidian, I used to attach the balloon to a water pipe to try to cool down and humidify the vapor...no comparison to the vapor produced with the obsidian (And I would assume the magma as well, but I do not have first-hand experience with that one)

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I picked up a Magma recently for my daughter to use with her volcano and she loves it. I'm looking forward to trying it myself as I've always found Volcano bags to be really harsh for me. The Obsidian seems like it'd be a worthy upgrade so I'll probably convince myself to buy one of those as well (I love glass).

:peace:

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
It looks like a great idea, do you ship to the UK.
We certainly do! I'll ship pretty much anywhere in the World, I don't think I've had anything that couldn't be reached yet :)
I picked up a Magma recently for my daughter to use with her volcano and she loves it. I'm looking forward to trying it myself as I've always found Volcano bags to be really harsh for me. The Obsidian seems like it'd be a worthy upgrade so I'll probably convince myself to buy one of those as well (I love glass).

Good to hear! I'm sure you'll love what Magma does to the vapor if you find the regular vapor to be harsh, it's the whole reason I started doing this in the first place :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

So I finally go to try out the Magma tonight and I have to say that it is a game changer for me. I love my 'cano but have always found the vapor really harsh and coughed accordingly. Holy shit what a difference this thing makes. I went through an entire bag without a single cough. That would've been unthinkable for me before. If you think that your volcano hits harsh, you seriously should invest in this thing. :nod:

arthritisbites

So I finally go to try out the Magma tonight and I have to say that it is a game changer for me. I love my 'cano but have always found the vapor really harsh and coughed accordingly. Holy shit what a difference this thing makes. I went through an entire bag without a single cough. That would've been unthinkable for me before. If you think that your volcano hits harsh, you seriously should invest in this thing. :nod:

Same here, I don’t use the volcano without my obsidian. It’s amazing.

Top Bottom