• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Mag Heater series

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
What a disappointment. I don't understand why the IH makers are so flakey and unreliable. I hope you are able to find a reasonable solution.

Indeed, I was looking forward to see if all the promises of advanced tech, really worked. I went with the Fluxer Deluxe, as the maker is very involved with sharing his entire process, and is always active in his Fluxer thread. That’s one of the reasons it’s so popular and a waiting list, but at least he actually DELIVERS a product.

Still hoping someone can come up with a “regulated” IH, to avoid the voltage drop on each hit, like most modern ECig devices.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@fatbiker & @RustyOldNail – While @MagHeater is not very active here, he did quite a lot to overcome the communication issues of the past, namely by updating his blog pretty frequently. He outsourced handling orders for the Compact series to Vapeurshop.com. He also always replied promptly (within 48 hours max, usually much sooner) to my mails (until 2 weeks ago). That's why I was able to even stand six months of constant anticipation. :-)

The problem is not him being flakey. It's a) his mental constitution

Mad Professor suits me well, I have autism.

which makes it hard to cope with pressure and stress and b) his very very unsupportive environment. I don't mean to excuse the guy, but it's important to know about it I think. I very much hope he is one day able to steer himself into calmer waters, because while I am quite sad about what business practices I am experiencing now, I also think he is the most talented and innovative IH builder *by far*. Assuming that the PayPal money back thingy (which I will apply to next week) will work out, I will keep that money for a while in the hopes that @MagHeater comes back.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a fan...

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Just a quick note – my martyrdom came to an end, I got the Slim Automatic today. I'm totally honeymooning at the moment of course, but seriously: this takes the concept of induction heating to a new level. The temp sensing works extremely well – how accurately I can't really say (though my caps click at ~200°C, which is the said calibration temp, so it seems to be set up correctly), but from what I can say (after three sessions), the temps are very consistent. One thing I enjoy a lot is not having to hold down a button for heating, all it takes is one button push and it's hands free from there. During heatup the launch button is illuminated and goes off as soon as the set temperature is reached, which is a very cool feedback when you are not able to hear the click. You can go even further with the autocruise mode which will start heating up as soon as you insert a DV in the tube, so after the initial launch no extra button pushing is needed; this is excellent for quick back to back sessions, as you don't have to wait for any cooldowns. As soon as the vapor gets thin → put DV back for reheat → Rock'n'Roll.

One thing I didn't expect was having to charge the LiPos externally, but the Slim comes with a balanced LiPo-charger. The Slim holds two 800mAh 3S LiPos – at least in theory, I myself have a hard time fitting them in the case. I'm sure it works, but getting them out again for charging might need a little practice, so for now I plan to use one LiPo at a time and keep another for swapping when it dies. Swapping one battery is quick & easy, though, and the three sessions I've had so far haven't drained the battery more than three sessions on the Professional would have, maybe even a little less.

Build quality, print, handling, performance etc. → great.

To be able to temp control a Dynavap is such an interesting experience.

Anyway, back to more testing, but for now I'm really happy. This is the future. Uh yeah.

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@Siebter -happy he finally came through for you.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you get some quality time with your AS.
Any chance you can show us some pics? I‘d love to see the top when it’s on.
Thanks!

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Couldn't really find a nice spot to properly showcase my new toy, but here it is:

hand.png

Close up of the screen:

screen.png

This is the temp sensor inside the tube:

tmpsens.png

I couldn't really find a good solution for using both LiPos; I managed to insert them both once, but getting them out again is quite a bit of a hassle, so I keep it at one. When doing so, you have to be a bit mindful, as LiPos don't like to be stored full or empty (I start recharging the extra battery when the one inserted gets low and swap them at 11.4V). Swapping one LiPo is easy.

The overall build quality and print is really good. The filament material is thick and sturdy. It's rough (like a tar surface) on top and bottom and glossy on the sides. Soldering and cables look very clean, although there's a bit of hot glue spilled here and there (might be to buffer the electronics from the case, though). The buttons are *very* nice. The battery case door was a bit stiff at first, but works nicely now. The Slim looks really good in my opinion.

Performancewise the Slim is just excellent. Not only does it heat up quickly (from cold to 180°C → ~6 seconds), but the temps are very *very* consistent. A 180°C session will always feel like a 180°C session and the abv will always look like 180°C (given that the other parameters like grind consistency, pack etc. are the same of course). When done, there's no hue or inconsistent spots in the abv at all.

The hands free operation and the feedback when the DV is ready to draw (light of launch button goes off) is unbelievable comfortable.

Although I'm struggling a bit with the „super hands free“-mode (autocruise or „Deluxe”), which is supposed to reheat the cap when inserting it in the tube without the need to hit the launch button. There's either a timeout or the cap needs to be above a certain temp I believe, but you have to be very quick when using it (extreme back-to-back hitting). It works, but oh boy, that way it slaps you to the moon within a minute. :-)

So I'm using it in the „N“ or „normal“-mode pretty much all the time (you still have to push a button when engaging the heater, but you don't have to keep pushing it down). I'm usually starting at 170°C and finishing at 190°C or 200°C, that usually gives me ~5 solid hits, with the abv being of a cinnamon color at 190°C and a pretty dark brown at 200°C, the max is 260°C, so well over combustion temps, but that might come in handy when using a Dynacoil or stuff.

One thing that totally took me off guard was the performance when using lower temps. Yesterday I tested 150°C just to see what it would give me and yeah: *that* is terpene heaven! But not only that: I was very surprised that I was able to get three pretty solid hits that way (not huge, but very visible). Then I thought the device might have been calibrated wrong, as I was not expecting *any* cloud at that temp (and taste), but the vapor was indeed super cool and the abv looked yellow-greenish. I don't even understand how that works. The fourth hit was kinda whimsy, but I was able to finish that load with two solid hits at 190°C. It's just such a great experience to tempstep with a Dynavap this way and those low temp hits are seriously incredible.

I have not tested my ss tip yet, but have tried 2018 caps and more recent ones (with serial number), they both behave the same. I guess captive caps might need some recalibration, the PhantoM caps definitely do. The Slim can be calibrated easily via a simple menu (which I haven't had to test yet).

One more thing that is awesome is that you can start reheating without the need to wait for cooldowns. Depending on what temp is set you won't even hear any click anyways. That streamlines the experience quite a bit and also helps saving battery life, as the device will need less time to heat when the cap is still relatively hot.

So while there are still some prototype-esque spots here and there, I am super happy with the Slim. I'm not sure what to expect from Mag Heater (he is back for now, though), but I hope this guy finds a way to do his stuff in peace and keep developing his marvelous devices. The Slim is nothing less than a sensation (to me).

full.png

Last edited:

Mono Loco

How well written/clear were the instructions?

The heat sensor is metal, right? Does it, itself, not get heated from the coil? The cap sits upon the sensor, so the sensor is measuring the heat of the cap, I guess. I wonder how close to the temperature of the cap the weed within actually gets ... not that it matters, I guess, as the user will simply find what temps. work best for his/her needs ... the temps. displayed on the meter, that is, regardless of how those temps correspond to the actual temp of herbarge inside.

Mono Loco,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@Mono Loco – The instructions came hand written with the device (they will be online sometime soon, I suppose, there's a section with manuals on his site). Also the device is pretty simple to use: to switch into „D“-mode (autocruise) hold the down-button, to switch into „P“-mode (device works like any other IH except temps are shown via the meter) hold the up-button. Works a bit like gear shifting. :-) The device boots into „N”-mode at 180°C. To switch into a simpler screen, hold up and down at the same time, to switch into the calibration menu, hold up and down at the same time again.

It's not easy to show, but the cap does not sit directly on the sensor. The sensor kinda sits in its own compartment about 3mm below an inserted cap. I agree, it's not clear what the set and shown temps are actually corresponding with (the cap? the chamber?), but it works really nice and consistent and what I can see from the abv I get actually makes me think that the calibration is very accurate.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
There are RF-transparent metals. My aluminum hobby knife only draws 3 watts for instance.

TommyDee,

RustyOldNail

Thanks for taking your time for the review. Great stuff, seems the IH technology is moving forward. Next big jump will be REGULATED power, like all my ECig mods.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@RustyOldNail - Hm, being an e cig user myself I'm not sure what kind of regulation you are referring to. The Slim does exactly that by enabling the user to set a temp - or are you rather referring to heat curves / times? I doubt that would improve the experience by a lot, I haven't seen for example a longer heat up time (PSM etc.) changing the vapor quality at all, only the time until I can take my draw.

But I'm super biased here, the Slim is such an unbelievable upgrade in my vape world, actually it's a totally different level of using a Dynavap.

However, Mag Heater did at one point offer an IH with two or three different heating curves (the "Desktop Racer" I think), he might get back to that eventually.

Or maybe it was yet another model, I sometimes get confused with all the different devices he makes / made. :-)

Last edited:
Siebter,

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail - Hm, being an e cig user myself I'm not sure what kind of regulation you are referring to. The Slim does exactly that by enabling the user to set a temp - or are you rather referring to heat curves / times? I doubt that would improve the experience by a lot, I haven't seen for example a longer heat up time (PSM etc.) changing the vapor quality at all, only the time until I can take my draw.

But I'm super biased here, the Slim is such an unbelievable upgrade in my vape world, actually it's a totally different level of using a Dynavap.

However, Mag Heater did at one point offer an IH with two or three different heating curves (the "Desktop Racer" I think), he might get back to that eventually.

Or maybe it was yet another model, I sometimes get confused with all the different devices he makes / made. :-)

I’m speaking of a regulated power supply, buck/boost electronics. Our tiny ECig mods regulate the power, unlike my IH unit with 3 - 18650 batteries, runs like a “mech mod”, as the voltage drops, the performance drops. My DNA75c mods deliver the same performance until the voltage cutoff. That will be a game changer.

RustyOldNail,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@RustyOldNail - Put your DNA75c on constant voltage mode - will it drive your IH at say 9-10V? If there is a coil resistance test, ask the programmer(s) why they'd do that. Constant voltage mode should just be a power supply and if it is, you can drive an IH.

TommyDee,

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail - Put your DNA75c on constant voltage mode - will it drive your IH at say 9-10V? If there is a coil resistance test, ask the programmer(s) why they'd do that. Constant voltage mode should just be a power supply and if it is, you can drive an IH.

All my ECig mods are single battery 18650/21700. But a 3 battery mod should put out enough juice?

RustyOldNail,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@RustyOldNail - There is no drop in performance, if you set it to 190°C, your cap will be heated to 190°C, period. I didn't find any performance drops in the MH Professional as well unless you run it when the cell is below ~11.3V, at which point the cell should be recharged anyway to ensure the batteries health.

@TommyDee - There is no such thing as a "constant voltage mode" in a DNA or any other e cig mod, you might mix up a thing or two here. Offtopic either way I guess?

Siebter,

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail - There is no drop in performance, if you set it to 190°C, your cap will be heated to 190°C, period. I didn't find any performance drops in the MH Professional as well unless you run it when the cell is below ~11.3V, at which point the cell should be recharged anyway to ensure the batteries health.

@TommyDee - There is no such thing as a "constant voltage mode" in a DNA or any other e cig mod, you might mix up a thing or two here. Offtopic either way I guess?

I can’t speak for your MagHeater, but as far as I’m aware, all of the current IH heaters behave like my Fluxer, batteries fully charged at 12.6 volts, time to recharge at 10.5 which is about 20% capacity. The performance - heat times will keep increasing as voltage drops, battery sag as well is a factor, I watch this with a tiny volt meter plugged into the Fluxer. With a regulated voltage device, it maintains a constant voltage. Same thing happens on unregulated “mech mods”, the vape performance is directly related to the batteries voltage. I’m sure somebody will attempt an IH with something like a DNA chip or similar.

Good luck with your new IH, I love the hands free, and button activation.

RustyOldNail,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Yeah, I get the "mechanical" character of other IHs - I'm not sure how Mag Heaters manage that, but I'm not experiencing a drop at all, and I think I would notice a drop since the MHs heat up very quick (3-5 seconds).

Siebter,

RustyOldNail

Yeah, I get the "mechanical" character of other IHs - I'm not sure how Mag Heaters manage that, but I'm not experiencing a drop at all, and I think I would notice a drop since the MHs heat up very quick (3-5 seconds).

Well, you mentioned you swap the single pack when it reaches 11.4 volts, you probably aren’t running it down enough to notice a difference. So I assume on a single battery you have less overall runtime per charge. I wouldn’t notice much performance drop with the Fluxer, if I charged sooner. It’s a shame it’s hard to get the second pack in there, I’m sure you’ll inform the maker, to make the case a bit larger. Sounds like a really cool unit, that raises the IH bar.

RustyOldNail,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Well, you mentioned you swap the single pack when it reaches 11.4 volts, you probably aren’t running it down enough to notice a difference.

No, I do have a different system now and run the cells down to their minimum, which I have always done with the Professional too. There's no drop at all.

So I assume on a single battery you have less overall runtime per charge. I wouldn’t notice much performance drop with the Fluxer, if I charged sooner.

I don't think we can compare the Fluxers battery with the one being used here; the Fluxer uses 18650 Li Ion with 2000 - 3000mAh, the Mag Heaters use 800mAh LiPos. Both approaches have their pros and cons. And again: I don't see any drop in performance with the MHs, no increase in heat up time as the cell gets emptier and not even when it's below 11.3V. I don't have the knowledge to explain that, might be because it uses LiPos, might be because of an implemented battery management.

It’s a shame it’s hard to get the second pack in there, I’m sure you’ll inform the maker, to make the case a bit larger. Sounds like a really cool unit, that raises the IH bar.

I told him about it, but I'm not holding my breath for him to change it. It is possible to use both cells, it's just that I'm not very good at these kind of things. :-) However, using one LiPo only will give me about 8 to 10 sessions, maybe more, that's plenty for me.

And yeah, it does raise the bar for induction heating quite a bit, but it also opens totally new ways of using a Dynavap in general. I'm still not over how amazing super low temp sessions are and being able to reheat the cap at any point creates a totally different kind of flow. I wish I could demonstrate what those two factors even mean, it's quite incredible. Might shoot a demo myself sometime. I hope other Slim users will chime in too. Until then I hesitate to praise the Slim too much, I'm afraid to sound a bit too fanboyesque. :-)

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Just a little update: Mag Heater is back in town.

The guy is building both Compacts and Slims and it seems like he is able to build Slims in a much nicer time frame now, so I expect this model to be more available in the foreseeable future. The case now has a plug for charging which makes rejuicing the cells a bit more comfortable, and the autocruise mode behaves a bit more user friendly and is now calibratable too (couldn't test it yet but will probably update sometime soon I guess, although I still mostly use and love the N-mode). Edit: the price for the Slim dropped from 229€ to 209€, the Compact is back to 159€.

The cooperation with Vapeurshop fucked up for some reason so all devices will be available via the original site again only. Also there will be no more pre orders, so whatever you order will actually be in stock – much nicer solution I think.

The next drop is scheduled for September 5th, you might even find some Slims available as some orders for them have been cancelled.

I myself still highly enjoy my Slim. The workflow it provides just feels super high end and being able to precisely temp step opens so many doors. I always loved and enjoyed using my Dynavaps, but this is such a huge leap forward and I hope I will see other Slim users chiming in at some point.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Hmmm, seems like there's quite some fresh action in the IH market. Right after the introduction of Dynatecs Orion and the Fluxer Flite, Mag Heater comes up with his version of a tiny IH, the Micro:

Micro02.jpg

10,9cm x 7,3cm x 2,9cm / 4,2" x 2,8" x 1,1"

It seems to have the same internals & 800mAh cell as the Compact minus the tube adjustment and the battery level screen, instead it has a simple battery feedback indicator via the launch button. Not sure about the pricing and release date, but it should be available soon.

Micro01.jpg

Next batch of whatever heaters will be dropped September 25th. I'm good though, still exploring new galaxies with my Slim Automatic... 🚀

Drug

http://instagr.am/p/CFfKjqKHz8L/
This wooden Micro has been added to the lineup. Price is 170 euro. It was added on the product page for the Micro as well, so I guess it will go on sale this Friday.

(Edit) From his blog:

I will have 3 Micro's in Stock on the 25th for instant shipping and I will offer 10 Micro's in total.

I think I will also offer 5 Slim Automatics "made to order"

I was under the assumption he moved to a model where he'd sell from stock, but apparently that's not the case. Considering the issues people mentioned with major delays, I think I'll spare myself the risk of frustration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom