Lung/brain damage from bho

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
some how on this last batch I hit some off the ti. It was like a taffy but I noticed a taste that was not good at all. Afterwards I proceeded to remove the additional solvent it turned to budder on more heating and churning. I tried some this morning and it tasted funky but there are definitely no bubbles. I've been doing this for a while now and was enjoying with no probs before but still aware of the possibility of residues.
now I am concerned about these. We should have access to laboratory grade extracts. My lungs are feeling terrible. I'm seriously worried about the health risk here. I think I'm going to have to quit consuming bho I'm kind of in a panic. I am usually healthy I can get on a treadmill and run a couple miles even though I haven't switched to vaporizing with my herbs yet. this is really impairing me. For those thinking of making bho I'd wouldn't reccommend it too much stress. It my fault for sampling it too soon. I need your advice on how to medicate for optimum health. I think I want to phase out bho. Even though now I have the technique mastered. Am I gonna be okay ?I can feel my lungs are no bueno I'm worried about the psychological effects of all this. Thanks for the support.

CHEI,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Firstly CHEI if you think it's the BHO causing you lung problems STOP immediately. Aside from the physical aspects it is clearly causing you anxiety.
Are you buying medical grade mj from a dispensary or do you grow your own/ know well the grower. If your answer is no then your answer may lie with what your bud has been sprayed with or improper curing which may mean your BHO has other compounds not great to smoke.
My recommendation is to leave off the BHO for now. Get back to enjoying those beautiful flowers and get yourself a decent vaporizer. Vaporizers give you a much greater control of how 'medicated' you are through controlling the temperature to vape off set compounds.
I wouldn't worry too much, but if you find that after not using BHO for a week your still having lung problems I would then seek medical advice.
That's just my :2c: I hope it helps.

weedemon

enthusiast
do you make your own? it sounds like you do. what brand of tane do you use?

BHO contains waxes. these waxes are what you are feeling on your lungs. as far as i know these are probably what you are feeling the effects of.

I definitely can feel the difference (on my lung power and breathing. I feel more "clogged" up) the day after a hard core bho day as opposed to a hard core herbs day instead.

Putting anything other than air into your lungs probably isn't the best idea. but hey, even the air is polluted and full of shit we are not supposed to breathe.

BHO is way stronger my comparison to vapin regular herb, so maybe if you are the anxious type then you might want to consider lower doses of bho. There is no shame in doing half dabs!

maybe even try quitting bho for a bit and going back to your herbs and see how that treats you. if you feel better hey, maybe bho isn't for you. I have a friend who wont hit bho anymore. he doesn't like it. (he doesn't like hash/concentrates in general. they are too much for his tolerance) if he has too much he freaks out and goes into worry wort overdrive!

hope some of that helps man!

wolf torn

I got a gram of BHO one time...and I didn't use it since, cause i thought it made my lungs feel weird.

How long have u been using BHO?

to answer everyones question he does make it himself looke at his old post...uses a butane i haven't heard of.

from his past post

I use 5x butane usually Power sometimes Mega. Today I sprayed them both onto a glass food plate. They leave a minor "new car smell" after evaporation with no visible residue really. I thought it could be natural mercaptans (coming from the manufacturing of butane from petroleum) that would be boiled off at 95F but from what I have read those smell like sulfur or rotten egg. The end product is quality and the smell is not noticible from what I can tell. Infact it seems to medicate well. Any comments?

relax though u'll be fine...just need to do some healing it seems.

and if i were u...i would go to edibles for a week...and order a good vape in the meantime

weedemon

enthusiast
going to edibles to take a break might not be bad.

I didn't realize you were that dude :) i replied to that post too i think. :p haha god damn my memory :p

Maybe your butane is in fact no good man. like i said never had that smell myself, but it doesn't sound good. find a better source of butane man! :)

weedemon,
Reactions: NorVape

CHEI

I made some edibles with the concentrate yesterday but I made them too strong I think I put
About 3 grams in 7 cookies. I haven't got a vape yet but I am open to suggestions right now. Last night I ate 2cookies i think edibles just don't settle well with me either. I used power butane which I've heard is rebranded vector. I used vector in the past and had good results with both. I need to stick to inhaling herb. Switching from smoking to vaping is i feel is crucial coming up here so what ever your favorite vapes are I want to know. I'll probably keep making wax if the dispensaries want it but I'm gona need to have some self control for the sake of my own sanity

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
CHEI if you want some vape suggestions you're going to have to narrow the field down a bit for us. A few questions taht will help are:

1) Budget
2) Portability - does it have to be portable or will a plug-in table-top vape do?
3) Does it need to be a heavy hitter?
4) Will you be using it with a bong/bubbler?
5) Do you have any experience with vaporizers?

Answer those and people can start to chime-in with what they think is suitable for you.

CHEI

I have some experience with vapes I've tried the volcano which is nice. Also MFLB which I wasn't that impressed by. Portability is nice but effectiveness is more important. Volcano is out of my price range. I simple inexpensive glass whip vape will do an then I might look into something more portable. Heavy hitting is pretty important

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
The waxes/lipids can be removed by winterizing your concentrate gray wolf on green passion.com has some good posts on it. The plant waxes from the bho can coat Alveoli in the lungs.

Puffers,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
CHEI a few vapes you might look into on the lower price range, but still quality are Da Buddha, V-Tower and Vapolution. All table-top units and are used with a whip - though with the Vapolutions All-In-Wonder-Bowl you can avoid the whip and have an all glass path. They get good reviews on the whole and can give good hits. I'm sure others will chime in with some other suggestions, but I think those 3 are a good place to start researching.

CHEI

I'm not that concerned about an issue with the plant matter. I've inhaled butane left in the wax a
Few times now. Luckily my lungs seem fine for now but it's just really unhealthy make sure all yall cook out the butane on very low heat on a double bioler. Inhaling that plus I haven't switched to vapeing yet and I've been smokin for about 10
Years could put added health risks in my future (im in my early 20s) that I am seeking to minimize. Also I noticed my tolerance went way up after i consumed edible concentrate. I don't care much for concentrate in the edible form in my experience it is has been unpleasant

CHEI,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
If you can get you hands on ethanol i advise you to search for the Absolute Amber tech ..
It is basicly redisolving you bho in ethanol when all frozen prior mixing. Ethanol does not dissolve bho 100 %
It leaves nasty waxes and some other stuff behind . + even if you don't purge.. Ethanol is meant for inhaling in some lung conditions as pneumonia,lung,throat cancer , angina.. etc.. So a 10th of a drop won't kill you in a gram of bho even if you don't purge enough..
Btw you can just wait for the ethanol to evaporate and form shatter..

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
CHEI said:
some how on this last batch I hit some off the ti. It was like a taffy but I noticed a taste that was not good at all. Afterwards I proceeded to remove the additional solvent it turned to budder on more heating and churning. I tried some this morning and it tasted funky but there are definitely no bubbles. I've been doing this for a while now and was enjoying with no probs before but still aware of the possibility of residues.
now I am concerned about these. We should have access to laboratory grade extracts. My lungs are feeling terrible. I'm seriously worried about the health risk here. I think I'm going to have to quit consuming bho I'm kind of in a panic. I am usually healthy I can get on a treadmill and run a couple miles even though I haven't switched to vaporizing with my herbs yet. this is really impairing me. For those thinking of making bho I'd wouldn't reccommend it too much stress. It my fault for sampling it too soon. I need your advice on how to medicate for optimum health. I think I want to phase out bho. Even though now I have the technique mastered. Am I gonna be okay ?I can feel my lungs are no bueno I'm worried about the psychological effects of all this. Thanks for the support.

I'm just curious as to how you have actually been consuming the bho? If you have been using a ti curve or a ti nail, then it might be possible that you have been dabbing while the ti is too hot which will result in burnt lungs! I don't know if there is scientific proof for this but if your inhaling extremely hot vapor then it could be a possibility.

Try using a bigger waterpipe to let the Vapes cool down before they get to your mouth. Or try vaping your bho! The eclipse h20 is the ideal vape for bho! Otherwise, I have heard people who have had success by putting the bho on cotton in their log Vapes.

If you are still a smoker, the supreme vaporizer will most likely be the vape to convert you. It's all about high temps, cause that's where you get the feelings that your already used to. The sv is the vape that can reach the high temps AND give you the densest clouds possible.

notmyrealUSERname,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
I use the extreme Q. and from what I hear the V-tower is the same thing without the bag part.

I never use the bag part, and my extreme Q gives me the densest clouds i've gotten with anything I've used. This is because you can dial the temp in to wherever you want, low temp or high temp and get the biggest clouds possible for your herb.

I really like using the EQ through a vapor bong.

MarcellusWiley,

CHEI

I think I just flipped out on the bho because I hit some off the ti before it was completely purged and I'm still recovering. I went out for a run yesterday nd my lungs seemed fine. If you make bho make sure there are no bubbles at all. Thanks very much for the vape suggestions. I got a bit more research to do and I'll come back in while to update on the new vape i get.

Sour Deez

Properly purged bho is perfectly safe to consume, key word there is properly.

Like suggested by others, make an absolute from your bho concrete, it will get rid of most of the excess waxes and even any left over butane and leave you with a more pure product.

Sour Deez,

stroh

errl enthusiast
power 5x is garbage, do not use it, i have heard many a complaint from tokecity users regarding a smell and taste left behind in the product from said tane.

i have purchased a gram of "economy oil" made by some dude from colorado who also makes it for dispensaries, and that shit was awful, odd smelling budder which i melted down to purge further until it was clear with no bubbles, and that shit still gave me a headache after vaping. after vowing to never purchase pre made oil again, i have since gone through quite a few more batches of my own product made with vector, and have experienced no such side effects.

stroh,

CHEI

I've read on a forum vector and power are the same just because you read it on forum doesn't means its true. Most people agree that 3x filtered or better is proper and power is 5x filtered also labeled super refined. My budders come out blond with no bubbles and no stick to hands. Breaks up or rolls into balls.

CHEI,

CHEI

I can't tell if I'm getting a foul taste from the power butane. My atom smasher smells kinda funky but idk

CHEI,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Chei, disregard my post, sorry everyone, i mistook power 5x for a different brand of tane, i believe power 5x and 7x to be just fine, though i myself have never used it.

stroh,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Sour Deez said:
Properly purged bho is perfectly safe to consume, key word there is properly.

Like suggested by others, make an absolute from your bho concrete, it will get rid of most of the excess waxes and even any left over butane and leave you with a more pure product.

PURE butane is a very safe non polar solvent unfortunately lots of butane has an odorizer added to it called mercaptan that can cause long term lung damage and irritation. Along with some other issues also. Mercaptans are not completely removed your bho product purging and extraction alone. That why n-butane used as a food grade propellant and refrigerant is ideal.

stroh

errl enthusiast
mercaptans are present in all commercial butanes, or so i've been told, but i have found zero evidence supporting claims that they do not evaporate along with the rest of the 'tane. that just doesn't make sense to me, especially since no residue is left behind on a surface that (quality)butane has been sprayed on. i am not going to be ignorant to this claim, and completely rule out that mercaptans could possibly be trapped within oil, but until the day when real scientific studies have been performed on PROPERLY PURGED oil, i guess none of us can really know for certain. I know many people who have been vaping this stuff for years, and so far have shown no signs of ill health relating to their oil consumption.

also mercaptans are added due to butane being a colorless and odorless gas, the mercaptans are present for their smell, which is usually sulfury/rotton eggy in quality to aid in leak detection, but i have noticed that butanes such as vector and other 5X+ refined brands have a muchhhh cleaner and less distinct odor than brands such as ronson, and other low quality butanes.

also, pure n-butane evaporates to nothing but water vapor and carbon dioxide.

stroh,

druminfected

I would suggest maybe trying a different type of extract other than butane. There are a lot of choices, like hexane, ethanol, iso, ether, etc. and all give different results. hexane and bho are my favorite though.

But if your worried about butane, the safest way would be ethanol since that's just pretty much pure alcohol.

Hope the best and let us know what u do, and if u tried n-butane or not.

Top Bottom