link to glycerin tincture

Nycdeisel

Yea I figure some extra glycerin couldnt hurt, right? I dont want it so thick that its hard to handle. If I wanted an alcohol tincture, Id have it done already, I thought this was a very nice alternative to alcy.

I am going to try this out this weekend, and maybe later tonight or tommorow I will start testing my gas stove.

I think the hardest part is gonna be straining it out, I imagine that the glycerin is kinda thick. Since its thicker, would the glycerin not boil as fast as water? Or would it be able to boil more quickly, if that were to happen(which I will attempt to avoid)?

Nycdeisel,

Nosferatu

I have a question about my glycerin tincture please. Its finished but not too potent so Im gonna get a few grams of kief and throw that in so should I recook it just as I did last time? For about 12 hours on low in a crock pot? Or will kief burn off or something bad and wasteful? :D

Nosferatu,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
masbanji, i understand from the op's posted link that as the tincture ages, it becomes more potent. you may want to stash it in a cool dark place for a few weeks before you go throwing more kif in there.

herbgirl,

OC513

Dabaholic
OK my tincture is straining right now.....it was sitting in a very warm dark place for a day shy of 11 weeks. I will post up a short review sometime over the weekend.........maybe tomorrow, depending on how late I stay out with the boys tonight. It aint Thanksgiving if I am not very hungover :brow:

OC513,

Nosferatu

Herbgirl, it has been a while since it finished actually and I simply didn't have enough herbs to match the 16 ounces of glycerin, so I would say it definitely could use some kief. Thanks for the input though ;) Im just scared to recook it for so long for some reason...

Oh one more question! I accidentally bought a meat thermometer instead of a candy thermometer, there should be no reason it doesnt read the temp of liquid correctly though right?

Nosferatu,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
OC, I am anxiously awaiting word of your results!

:popcorn:

masbanji, in that case i would throw in the kif, but i wouldn't think it would require recooking, but again, i have no idea! you may want to split the batch in half and add kif to half with heat, the other without.

I don't think the meat thermometer will be a problem, it will give you a roundabout temp, but a candy/deep fry thermometer will be more accurate (in liquid at least) and has a way larger/higher range. candy therms also have a handy dandy little clip that keeps them off the bottom of the cooking vessel, and a small metal plate on the bottom to keep the bulb from breaking.

whatever you do, for an accurate reading, don't let the tip of the therm touch the cooking vessel. you want the temp of the liquid, not the crockpot.

i tend to break candy therms, so i have a digital probe version that i really like, good for meat and candy, but not perfect at either.

herbgirl,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
aero18 said:
Isn't glycerine less efficient than alcohol?
yup altho u can do a quick alc extract even in freezer for a few days that sounds gud
Wait am I reading this right or am I still high? I can just put the ABV in lets say a small bottle of gin or vodka in the freezer and then after a few days I can drink it and get high as I get drunk?

lesvape,
I made a tincture batch with glycerin similar to OC513 however i used a little over 28 grams of stems and shake with 8 fl oz of vegetable glycerin and let it sit in a room temp dark place for roughly 6 weeks giving it a few warm water baths along the way and then eventually dumping it into a french coffee press to separate the glycerin and other materials and it came out AMAZING!! one to two droppers and you were feeling AWESOME!!

:lol:

mustachio420,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Unsure which tincture method to use, I tried this one I found on rollitup(dot)org.

Cannabis therapeutics Glycerin tincture"

I will share our best tincture recipe with everyone.We order food grade Glycerin in 5 gallon buckets,(cost
about 400.$)
We put Glycerin and bud trim into huge pot.(5 gallons Glycerin,4 pounds of quality trim no fan leafs)
We store in a warm place for thirty days covered tightly.
We then heat entire mixture to boiling,
Then we strain while still hot through an old Bubble bag to remove all impurities.
We let the clean glycerin cool entirely(this will take an entire day)
We then package in a convenient dropper bottle.
Be well, Be safe. Herbologist

Since I didn't have even close to 4 lbs. of trim, I reduced the recipe. I used 1 oz. of high quality inner trim and popcorn buds to 8 oz. glycerin, which is a little stronger than the recipe calls for, but I like strong edibles.

I let it sit a foot or so in front of a small space heater with a thermostat for a month, stirring occasionally. I followed the remainder of the recipe and it turned out great. I strained through cheesecloth rather than a bubble bag. I wanna say thanks to herbgirl for the post about wetting the cheesecloth. I was unable to get even close to the amount of tincture out that I put in. I will definitely try this next time.

I started with 8 oz. of glycerin and ended up with 4 oz. that I put into dropper bottles.

The tincture turned out great. For those with lower tolerances, or just as a mellow muscle relaxer, 1/4 dropper is perfect. 1/2 to 1 dropper will really start to get you baked.

For the next time, I have 4 oz. of popcorn and unsellable buds that I will grind in a food processor and combine with 32 oz. of glycerin. I think I am going to let it go for a full 2 months this time. I think I can make it even stronger.

I have also made alcohol tinctures in the past using 1 oz. of powdered trim (decarboxylyzed in the oven first) and poured 190 proof grain alcohol in the jar to the point where the alcohol was about 25% above the cannabis, and let it sit in the dark for a month. Afterward I reduced it using evaporation by about 25 - 30%.

I gotta say, the glycerin tincture is way more efficient, in the fact it requires a lot less cannabis to produce the desired results. The alcohol tincture was maybe slightly stronger, but I think using only buds will make the glycerin tincture stronger than the alcohol ones I have made in the past, requiring a lot less cannabis.

I don't know the chemistry behind it, but I have so far had much better results using glycerin over alcohol.

I will post on my next batch of glycerin tincture when it's finished.

Nuphile,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
Are you sure about storing in a warm place because I read you are suppose to store it in a cool dark place. They also said 3 weeks is fine.

I right now have about 3 grams(light i know) of have abv and half fresh stored in a small-ish jar in a cool dark spot in my closet soaking in 50%(100 proof) vodka. I think am I doing this right no?

lesvape,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
okay - i'm vaked...let me talk out my ass a bit...

let me save you some time, "tinctures are not four drops under the tongue, then you get high."

i read all about it, and tried buddering up some bho ear wax, so i've got this powdered thc oil, and i heated repeatedly as much as would suspend into solution into glycerin, and upon cooling it would repeatedly condense out as much as it would not hold, so i know i had a reasonably representative solution, and i had to take a tablespoonfull and swish it around in my mouth and swallow said goop, and wait an hour to catch a buzz...f that, hahahahaha

glycerin's solvent-ability sux big-time, and what we need is a legal way to condense down past bubble hash, to make something like this possible...breath strips with ANY potency will require processing beyond...jeez, i should just find another medium for the budder, since it's as potent as it can easily be...then make that something that can be assimilated quicker than a brownie...

hash up the ass

i heard about that, that's probably the best answer, keep you high all day ...

but tinctures seem, from my reading and experience of a glycerin one and one i made out of homemade alcohol (94%)...tinctures seem best suited to hold cannabis' complex aroma and CDB structure, not as a quick way to get high, but maybe my tolerance is just too high to notice it nemore. all said in jest, and to save someone some time.

VWFringe,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
im not hating or bashing anyone but is it really necessary to let ABV tincture sit for weeks as i just read above me? ive never used glycerin but when i do alcohal tinctures i only soak my abv for no more then an hour and thats plenty of time to extract whatever is left in your abv. when i add to soda it turns a white/green color and bubbles/fizz for way longer then any other soda. not to mention ive spilt some before and got it on my hands and it was almost as sticky as handling buds fresh from the plant.

i know glycerin is goopy so it may need to sit longer then an abv alcohal tincture, but if thats the case then why not just simmer on the stove at low heat for an hour and that should be fine for abv.

also when i make abv canola oil i just soak my abv in the oil over night and strain and use in the morning. simple as that.

gettin lifted,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
glycerin is an alcohol sugar - and i don't know what that means, but it will act a little like a solvent, but not a very effective one, so...i know with fresh bud you'd want to take a long time for fullest flavor profile, but like a solvent, it's gonna pick up what it can, or is exposed to, and stop, right?

(man, i keep thinking of how bad my gas smelt when i ate some ABV, so i water cure it before any 2nd use, i can't imagine the ABV making the glycerin taste any good if not washed first...?)

VWFringe,
NUPHILE: that is the exact ratio of stems to glycerin i used, and it highly effective and soooo delicious. However becareful, after two full tablespoons it turns into a laxative :ko:

I personally dont care for the alcohol based tinctures :o

mustachio420,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Are you sure about storing in a warm place because I read you are suppose to store it in a cool dark place. They also said 3 weeks is fine.

A warm place is recommended for the glycerin tincture b/c this allows for the decarboxylation of the cannabis converting THCA into usable THC. However, when using the alcohol method, I followed recommendations I saw for converting the cannabis in the oven first. Supposedly heat can break down the alcohol tincture and so a cool dark place is recommended for the alcohol.

What I have not really seen is scientific-based guidelines for tinctures. So, I am only going off of a series of online recommendations I have found on various forums and web pages.

Nuphile,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
glycerin is an alcohol sugar - and i don't know what that means, but it will act a little like a solvent, but not a very effective one

I have heard this as well; and have to say, by experience, I disagree. If you follow the recipe I listed above, you will have tincture that is active at 1/4 dropper full (that's about 5 drops) dependent upon the user's tolerance.

so...i know with fresh bud you'd want to take a long time for fullest flavor profile, but like a solvent, it's gonna pick up what it can, or is exposed to, and stop, right?

That's correct. There is a saturation point for alcohol, glycerin, and butter. However, I have no idea what the points are. I am currently experimenting with this myself.

I have had great results by using ratios of:

1/4 lb. of butter to 1 oz. of trim (including fan leaves)

3 - 4 oz. 190 proof grain alcohol to 1 oz if trim (including fan leaves) --> reduced by evaporation up to 50%, usually less though. It is possible that I have exceeded that saturation point on this one.

8 oz. of glycerin to 1 oz. of high quality trim (including popcorn buds and zero fan leaves). The glycerin seems much more efficient than the alcohol.

I think these ratios are pretty good. If one wanted to make it stronger they could simply use high grade buds rather than trim.

Nuphile,
Can people who've successfully made a glycerine tincture compare the quality of the high and the efficiency vs. vaporizing, alcohol tincture, and oil/butter extracts?

I'm looking for some sort of comparison that stresses which methods should be avoided and which methods have different good qualities.

That would be damn awesome!!!

Warden Trance,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
I made glycerin tincture with a crockpot, glycerin and a half ounce of kb, i have two bottle of it left from a few months ago - about 30 tsps, it takes about 2-3 tsp to get you very high, but i havent used it since it takes 2 hours to kick in and i never want to wait that long.

PhishCactus,

Nycdeisel

Hello everyone, havent checked up on this thread iin a while, since last year!

I have a double boiler and I still have not tried this because I did not have the right conditions. I want to use the double boiler I have and just make a plain glycerine tincture,

Can anyone give me an estimate of what the shortest amount of time I should heat this for is? I dont think I will be able to have it heating on my stove for several hours, though I could compensate by letting it sit afterwards for a while.

Nycdeisel,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
NYC, i really have no idea how long you should heat it, i would think just enough to warm the solvent and get everything fully mixed, so maybe like 15-20 minutes.

I believe the heating just makes extraction more efficient, it can be done cold too so i think, strictly speaking, you really don't NEED the heat, it just speeds things along.

herbgirl,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
herbgirl said:
NYC, i really have no idea how long you should heat it, i would think just enough to warm the solvent and get everything fully mixed, so maybe like 15-20 minutes.

I believe the heating just makes extraction more efficient, it can be done cold too so i think, strictly speaking, you really don't NEED the heat, it just speeds things along.

Not only does the heat speed things along, it also creates a much stronger tincture. This is because THC, in it's usable form, is not found in raw cannabis, but rather THCA. THCA is converted to THC by a process called decarboxylation, which is essentially removing CO2. The easiest way to do this is through applied heat. So, the heat is pretty much necessary for the glycerin tincture.

It's just like, if you eat raw cannabis, you will get a little high because your body's temperature can do some of the conversion; however, the human body does not get hot enough to make this an efficient way of getting high.

I hope I am not rambling too much, but the point is: You need heat, just not too much; you don't want to cook the mixture.

I have not yet used the crockpot method because I have heard, at least, that the warm slow method produces a stronger tincture. The downside to this though is, it takes at least a month.

I have had good results with this method, but have nothing to compare it to.

Nuphile,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
I was assuming the material was already dcarboxywhatevered.

i've seen tincture recipes calling for just letting the material sit in the glycerin for three months shaking occasionally - no heat at all. I have not tried it this way. could it be that either heat OR time will convert the THCA?

herbgirl,

DaProfessor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol#Botanical_extracts

Seems to be saying that steeping macerated product in glycerin is less efficient and tinctures based on it will be absorbed by the body more slowly. The slower release might be the reason for 'stronger' highs people are experiencing. It's like a time release capsule.

It also hints that there are glycerin based extraction techniques besides steeping that can be more efficient and create a better product than ethanol extractions. It also says that having 10% glycerin in solution with ethanol in a typical ethanol extraction will prevent some tannin extraction. This might be something I will try next time a do an ABV extraction. Might help to reduce tar and chlorophyll extraction. I also need to do some research on the hinted at 'non-tinture methodology' based glycerin extractions.

The article also mentions that commercial 'glycerite' extracts are produced by first doing steam extractions on botanical products, then mixing the resulting extracts with glycerin to stabilize and add sweetness to the extracts. Unfortunately, we all know water extractions are the least efficient way to remove THC.

Just some info to help enhance everyones knowledge. Hopefully we can use it to make something better :D

DaProfessor,
Top Bottom