link to glycerin tincture

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I've been wanting to make this but can't seem to find any Glycerin local. Thank god for the internet :)

aesthyrian,

stinkmeaner

aesthyrian said:
I've been wanting to make this but can't seem to find any Glycerin local. Thank god for the internet :)
You could probably find some at a health/vitamin store.

Or an alternative :lol:
30132018582_450x450_a.jpg

stinkmeaner,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Would a crackpot be necassary for ABV? Would letting it sit in the glycerin for a few days be sufficient?

AgentofChaos,

Nycdeisel

Im PRETTY sure that the glycerin needs to be heated, but I could be wrong. However, its going to be a lot easier to handle when its warm. Just something to think about. But that thread goes on a while, but is still active so you could post in it if you want.
I did not make this not do I take any credit for it.

Nycdeisel,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I've played with glycerin tinctures as well.

You can find glycerin at health food stores, they also carry it in places like Walmart in the cake decorating area. Pharmacy or drug stores usually carry it too.

Lo,

Nycdeisel

It may be. However, I liked this one since it wouldnt use alcohol. I dont even drink normally so I didn't really want to deal with the whole drinking alcohol thing(even though it would be very small amounts).

If someone tries this before I do, Post your results!

Nycdeisel,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
my herbals recommend that glycerin is not as good at drawing out the (fat soluble) goodies so it is recommended that you add some alcohol to the mix to aid extraction.

If you want an alcohol free tincture with maximum punch, i recommend that you do an alcohol tincture first, evap the alcohol down as far as you can, then reconstitute with honey or glycerin.

I have not done this, just read about it. I will be trying this with a chamomile tincture soon. It is not a super common method, but it is not that rare either.

OTOH, you may be just as satisfied with a regular ol' glycerin tincture. just something to think about.

and make sure you get 100% pure vegetable glycerin in a bottle- not diggin the suppository deal.

herbgirl,

Nycdeisel

thanks for the words, herbgirl. Its also nice to see another female on these boards, was just wondering had I been the only one :lol:

I would probably either try it with straight glycerin or glycerin with a bit of alcohol. Personally, Im not fond of the alcohol tinctures, though Im sure they can work well.

Nycdeisel,

Nycdeisel

:)
I have a few questions, maybe you can help.
So how would I go about using alcohol in a glycerin mixture? Would I just make it normally and add alc to the end product? :p

Nycdeisel,

OO

Technical Skeptical
glycerin is used in some hookah tobaccos to make the vapor. so you can make some thick, thick vapor with it.

the extractable nicotine is soluble in both water and oil.

OO,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
NYC, I recommend that you use a small amount of alcohol (10-15%) blended well in with the glycerin and use the resulting mixture to steep the herbs in. when i tincture, i use a half pint mason jar with a dome lid and ring, not a plastic storage cap because they leak. even a glass jelly jar would be fine.

let it sit as desired and strain thru cheesecloth (wet the cheesecloth/tee shirt with glycerin so it doesn't suck up your tincture) or an old very clean tee shirt (what i use and it works well. plus who doesn't have a few old tee shirts around?) compost the cheesecloth and spent herb when you are done.
bottle, preferably in colored glass and store cool and dry.

not really sure how long you should go as i understand that glycerin extracts slowly and i must also stress that i have not done this before, just read about it.

basic guidelines are (pulled from one of my favorite herbals)
grind herb
blend menstruum
blend herb & menstruum
check the tincture and top off if needed after 12 hrs to keep the liquid level 1/4 inch above the plant material or 1/4 inch below if floating
shake frequently for 14 days
decant, strain and filter (this will take forever)
bottle, tightly cap, label
dose (woohoo!)
store in fridge if possible. cool and dark if not.

is that what you were looking for?

herbgirl,

Nycdeisel

Kindof. that guide linked says to cook on really low heat for about 8 hours, I think that sounds like long enough. So I cook the alcohol? I didnt know it was ok to do that... and what is the jar for??? sorry for all the questions

Nycdeisel,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
ya know, i don't know if you cook the alcohol safely. looking more carefully at that link, people seem to be pretty satisfied with just plain glycerin. you may want to try that first. maybe the heating speeds up extraction and makes it more efficient. i really haven't the foggiest, i was just relaying the info that i have about glycerin tinctures from the perspective of a professional herbalist.

when i tincture with heat, i use the small mason jar to hold the liquid/herb mixture and then i put the whole jar in a little dipper style small crockpot with some water in the bottom to even out the temp and the dome lid on the jar, but not screwed on with the band. i leave it for a few hours, tightening the screwband and shaking periodically *remembering to loosen the lid after shaking so pressure does not build* it's just easier than using it straight in the crockpot and the jar i use to make the tincture is also generally the jar that i store it in. it goes quickly around here because i make candies with it so the brown bottle with the dropper top isn't really needed. i store it in a dark cabinet before use though because it is not in a colored bottle. light will weaken tinctures significantly. plus the fairly small amounts i generally tincture would just be a thin layer on the bottom of the crockpot if they weren't in the jar. just my personal preference, as you research, you will see that it seems that everybody has a different "right" way of doing it.

not vaked now, but does that make sense?

if you do try the method you linked to with a little alcohol added, it may work, but i'm honestly not sure. my spidey senses tell me that it would be fine, the heat may evap the alcohol for you if you remove the lid and let it 'breathe' while it is cooling. pure speculation there.

another thing to keep in mind is that heat = fast extraction - cold = slower but more potent. take your pick.

we are pioneers here, if you try this method or any variation thereof please report back and share your findings.

if you have more questions don't be afraid to ask, there is a friendly and knowledgeable bunch here who are willing to help!

herbgirl,

Nycdeisel

Alright thanks a ton!:D I will let you know if I have more questions. I just checked on that thread and someone posted in it with pictures and such and it shows the jar sitting in the crockpot. That person also made like a single serving type of mix with like a gram of AVB and 2 ozs of glycerin, but Im making a bigger batch. What do you think a good ratio is for bud;glycerin?

I hope 8 hours is long enough, I even feel uneasy leaving a hot stove unattended for THAT long, of course checking on it as often as possible....

Nycdeisel,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
not sure of the ratio but the general herbalism guideline is enough liquid to cover the herbs by 1/4 inch. you just want everything submerged.

crockpot should give you no worries, they are designed to chug along safely for hours. i leave mine on overnight or when i have to leave the house frequently.
mmmm top round pot roast...... :p

I've been known to have pots of applesauce or stock in a huge thick bottomed pot simmer away happily all day and night on the lowest gas flame on a tiny center burner. i'm ok with this.

anyway, that thread says to keep the crockpot lidded (except for stirring of course)as you don't want the goodies escaping via evaporation.

good luck!

herbgirl,

Nycdeisel

I may end up using a regular pot since Im using the jar.

Posted in that thread asking questions, you can see for yourself.

Thanks again!

Nycdeisel,

OC513

Dabaholic
I have a glycerin tincture going right now.......a little over an 1/8 ounce of ABV in 2 oz. of glycerin.....the bottle is fully saturated with ABV.......I put about 1/2 oz of 151 rum in there as well. Been sitting in a warm place for about 6 weeks now.......gonna strain it next week so it is ready for Thanksgiving. I will report results here when done. :brow:

OC513,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
OC513, can't wait for that report. i think that alcohol will make for a more thorough extraction.

NYC, If you do go with the jar in pot, make sure you know your stove really well. the only burner i am comfortable leaving on all night is the little one. any of the others the flame is too high, even on low. and it burns stuff. found that out the hard way! and that was only applesauce, not something as precious as a tincture.
You may even want to consider laying a small dishtowel or something in there (on the bottom of the inside of the pot and under the jar) to insulate the jar from the heat a little more and help prevent it cracking if the simmering water jostles it a little bit. i actually make yogurt this way with a jar of milk heating in the pot. the only time i had a jar break on me was when i forgot the cloth.

herbgirl,

Nycdeisel

hmmm.....interesting idea. I was thinking that it could possibly be too hot even on the lowest simmer setting.
Whats a good way to test this out before I make my tincture without making a big mess? Maybe put a small towel down in the floor of the pot, fill with water, then a jar with water or something in the pot making sure that the levels inside and outside of the jar are at least equal. Sound ok? In my current situation I dont feel like wasting any of my precious herb

I know I have a lot of questions, and I appreciate you taking the time to help answer, herbgirl.
What is the consistency of the end product? I would like to strain out the herb at the end and then bottle them in dropper bottles for convenience.

Nycdeisel,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
You have the right idea for testing. maybe see how long it takes the water outside the jar to reach a bare simmer vs a boil so you have a better idea of the strength of your burner.
I certainly don't want anyone wasting herbs, so test away till you get a result you like. Just remember that the glycerin will heat differently than the water you are testing it with, but at least you will have an idea of how hot/responsive your choice of burner and pot are.

The more questions i can answer for you the better your final result. I think that will benefit all of us. you are certainly benefiting me because right now i don't have the ability to do this and have been curious about the results. so really, these are my best guesses based on the experience i have with alcohol tinctures or oil infusions of other herbs.

not sure about the consistency of the end product, it should be maybe just a bit thicker than straight out of the bottle? I would say hang on to any unused glycerin to thin it out if needed.
i think some people thin it out with everclear, but that kinda defeats the purpose i think.

herbgirl,
Top Bottom