elevatorman718

Welcome learn, I know, I know, I dont want to leave my house now that Im vaping.

V4H, Lo, Im working on a prototype today. If I can make it work then I will bring it to a local machinist sometime this week to see what it will cost to make up a bunch. Gary :peace:

elevatorman718,

willieR

Been here since 2009
The metal nipple would be great for those that use rubber hose exclusively. I usually do, but often omit it when greater stealth is needed.

I'm very interested in the different X patterns on the plastic. This is new info to me. Anyone have any additional information?

willieR,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I too am curious about the possible newer mouthpieces.

I pulled out the ones I have - Some came with old style iolite (work FINE) some came with new style iolite and melted, some vape now sent me as replacements (scared to use) and then some the factory sent me from Ireland (scared to use). The newer ones all have the same exact hash marks as the type that melted on me. I literally have all the bags labeled so if another one melts I will know where it came from. I received the last ones from Ireland I'd say about 3-4 wks ago. I guess the newer marked ones must have come out after my replacements were sent.

Also - someone mentioned not removing the first small section of mouthpiece. I have done that from day 1 and always leave the one piece on unless getting ready to clean. I have only had the one mouthpiece melt and have since used the extra from my first iolite. I do the same with both iolites and have not had an issue since.

I also read the post about the end of butane can being possibly dirty even on the better brands. That struck a cord with me cuz one of mine was acting funny the other day, I switched to the other one and it was fine... Later it was acting funny. I realized that I had filled both of them with a can that was near its end. I vented them both and refilled with a fresh bottle after reading that post and all has been running smooth. I think there is something to the bottom of the barrel theory :)

Lo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Thanks for that lo. Good info. Interesting about the the end of can thinking. Probably is true, though I don't know why

willieR,

elevatorman718

OK, While looking for stock with which to make a nipple for the iolite, I had an idea to try and use something that already exists and possibly modify it for my uses. I came across a part in the workshop that has the same size threads which are metric #6 and was also hollow in the center or pre-drilled. The part is a brake bleeder valve size M6x1 which are readily available at any auto parts store and are made of steel. You will then need to grind the point off the bottom and drill through the part the rest of the way which is very short and easy to do.

elevatorman718,

elevatorman718

I went to home depot and bought a piece of tubing that is used for ice-makers on refrigerators size 5/16 and presto fixed works great and the grand total..... $3.00 Works great too!!

elevatorman718,

willieR

Been here since 2009
e-man that is great! So the threads fit OK, the part is hollow, and you simply ground it down to work? Can you take a couple more pics?

This is very cool of you to share this tidbit with us all!

Whoops! I see you DID post another pic. This is big news

willieR,

leozdad

elevatorman718 said:
OK, While looking for stock with which to make a nipple for the iolite, I had an idea to try and use something that already exists and possibly modify it for my uses. I came across a part in the workshop that has the same size threads which are metric #6 and was also hollow in the center or pre-drilled. The part is a brake bleeder valve size M6x1 which are readily available at any auto parts store and are made of steel. You will then need to grind the point off the bottom and drill through the part the rest of the way which is very short and easy to do.
Ingenius, gonna have to give that a try :peace:

leozdad,

elevatorman718

:brow: Yes WillieR The threads are correct its an easy mod anyone can do with simple tools (Drill, Grinder or grinding stone in the drill) Why over complicate this and get a machine shop involved when this part is perfect for our uses with this minor modification.
One note of caution - don't try to touch or toke on the bare nipple as it will be extremely hot. :peace:

elevatorman718,

willieR

Been here since 2009
elevatorman718 said:
One note of caution - don't try to touch or toke on the bare nipple as it will be extremely hot. :peace:
Which is of course why iolite isn't doing this.

We could have a very short section of hose, then a solid black stem again...

That would also work for the Macbill mod

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Now I've got myself wondering. What if you did the Macbill mod, and had a short length (stub) of hose just peeking out of the bowl area.

You could take a hit off the rubber stub, or insert a slightly longer plastic mouthpiece into the stub, or a short plastic piece and longer rubber tube. The short plastic piece would just be a coupler for the rubber stub and longer rubber hose.

Basically a thermal break using a short length of rubber as Macbill did. Then you could connect whatever you wanted.

willieR,

elevatorman718

I personally was trying to avoid grinding or modifying the unit itself which I believe the macbill mod requires. I know that it probably wouldn't void the warranty because you can purchase the chamber with is cover and mouthpiece separate but this nipple mod is quick , cheap and easy. It also unscrews so it fits into its original pouch.

elevatorman718,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I'm headed out to a supply store tomorrow. It's a super-cool mod. And I agree, why fart around with a machine shop?

willieR,

shotgunwilly

somebody had mentioned earlier, about using a drilled out zerk fitting that worked, but they werent sure of the thread size... now we know! right on......and with the zerk, i dont think you would need to grind at all... just drill.... :)

shotgunwilly,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
eman...nice mod. Do you know what the metal part is made of? Does the tubing come close to melting where it is in contact with the metal part?

stickstones,

elevatorman718

Whoooa!! Stop the presses!! I just received an email response from iolite about the mouthpeice situation and guess what? Drum roll please.........
They are replacing the current design with a stainless steel part!!!!
Big big news indeed.:D

elevatorman718,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
eman...it's nothing more than a hollowed out car part. They were just waiting for you to show them how to fix the situation!

stickstones,

elevatorman718

stickstones said:
eman...nice mod. Do you know what the metal part is made of? Does the tubing come close to melting where it is in contact with the metal part?
High sticksstones, the part is listed as steel, from some investigation they also make the parts in stainless although I don't have any. The tubing doesn't even come close to getting that hot. That's the reason I used the size I did was to get it a little outside of the chamber thus cooling it a bit before the tubing. If you were to use a Zerk fitting it would be way shorter and might melt common tubing. But the new news from O&B about replacements using a stainless steel tip will make mods like mine unnecessary. I wasn't sure if posting the email I received (copy/paste) was against forum rules so I just relayed the jist of it to the community here. One note, they want pictures of the melted ones for "verification". That request, given the current situation with these units I feel is ridiculous. This aught to be a complete and utter recall/replacement of all stems/mouthpieces for all units purchased by all. :2c:

elevatorman718,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I just received the email from Iolite too! Fingers crossed!

The mod sounds good too but I'm not great with power tools... Yet LOL!

Lo,
Top Bottom