macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
greystr0ke said:
My fucking mouth piece broke last night. :mad:
Yeah, that's a hassle, alright. Now you are a true member of the Unofficial Iolite Club.

macbill,

Xender

Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been lurking for over a year. I have learned a lot from everyone's experience and am grateful for the knowledge. I've had my Iolite since August and continue to be very pleased with its performance. I have read many posts regarding butane use and how we should not use the bottom of the can. I have also experienced the problems associated with that issue like being hard to lite, sputtering while heating and possibly not getting a full load into the Iolite. I also have a Vapor Genie for which I purchased a very nice Colibri pipe lighter and of course fill it with Colibri premium butane. I use the Colibri butane in both the lighter and the Iolite. Like everyone else I was disappointed to hear that using the bottom of the can was not recommended and was effecting the performance of both the lighter and the Iolite. When filling the lighter it would fill to a little over half and then I had to disengage the can from the lighter and retry. It would take about 4 tries to completely fill the lighter.

I made a discovery quite by accident this winter that I hope someone will try and maybe verify what I believe to be an answer to this problem. It has been for me.

I bought about 4 cans of the butane and stored them in a place that gets rather cold. I went to get a new can and thought it might be a good idea to warm the can up first so I took it in the kitchen and ran it under some very warm tap water until the can was also very warm. I filled the Iolite, turned it on, hit the igniter and it fired up first try. I also noticed that during reheats there was no sputtering. I have continued to do this with the same results. Most importantly when I noticed what was happening I deliberately used the can all the way to the bottom with no problems.

Before I tried this I was using the majority of a can in the Iolite and then use the rest in the lighter mainly because the Iolite was more important to me. Once I noticed what I thought was happening with heating up the can I emptied the lighter heated up the can with hot water again and was pleased to see the lighter fill to full in the first attempt! Wow, I though ... maybe I'm on to something. But I've been wrong before ... plenty of times actually so I tried not to think I had an answer to the problem and quite frankly it seemed too easy.

I've been doing this for about 4 months now with the same results. My Iolite continues to ignite on the first try every time and I have not experienced any sputtering. My lighter continues to fill completely on the first try and I use all of the butane in the can. When I say all, I mean when I shake the can there is nothing left inside.

I would appreciate it if someone would give this a try and post their results confirm what I am seeing. I always purge both the lighter and the Iolite completely before filling. Heating the can is a very easy thing to do and costs nothing so you are out nothing to try. If it works, you will enjoy the increased performance and cost saving of not throwing out partial cans of butane. I hope you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

I saw today where someone mentioned decreased pressure as you near the bottom of the can. I wonder if heating the can increases the pressure in the can for some reason that is beyond me which results in better filling the devices. Just a thought.

I thought it might be important to add that the Iolite is not my main vape. I use a SSV mostly but the Iolite certainly has its place in the arsenal.

Thanks again for all the great posts!

Xender,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Xender said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been lurking for over a year. I have learned a lot from everyone's experience and am grateful for the knowledge. I've had my Iolite since August and continue to be very pleased with its performance. I have read many posts regarding butane use and how we should not use the bottom of the can. I have also experienced the problems associated with that issue like being hard to lite, sputtering while heating and possibly not getting a full load into the Iolite. I also have a Vapor Genie for which I purchased a very nice Colibri pipe lighter and of course fill it with Colibri premium butane. I use the Colibri butane in both the lighter and the Iolite. Like everyone else I was disappointed to hear that using the bottom of the can was not recommended and was effecting the performance of both the lighter and the Iolite. When filling the lighter it would fill to a little over half and then I had to disengage the can from the lighter and retry. It would take about 4 tries to completely fill the lighter.

I made a discovery quite by accident this winter that I hope someone will try and maybe verify what I believe to be an answer to this problem. It has been for me.

I bought about 4 cans of the butane and stored them in a place that gets rather cold. I went to get a new can and thought it might be a good idea to warm the can up first so I took it in the kitchen and ran it under some very warm tap water until the can was also very warm. I filled the Iolite, turned it on, hit the igniter and it fired up first try. I also noticed that during reheats there was no sputtering. I have continued to do this with the same results. Most importantly when I noticed what was happening I deliberately used the can all the way to the bottom with no problems.

Before I tried this I was using the majority of a can in the Iolite and then use the rest in the lighter mainly because the Iolite was more important to me. Once I noticed what I thought was happening with heating up the can I emptied the lighter heated up the can with hot water again and was pleased to see the lighter fill to full in the first attempt! Wow, I though ... maybe I'm on to something. But I've been wrong before ... plenty of times actually so I tried not to think I had an answer to the problem and quite frankly it seemed too easy.

I've been doing this for about 4 months now with the same results. My Iolite continues to ignite on the first try every time and I have not experienced any sputtering. My lighter continues to fill completely on the first try and I use all of the butane in the can. When I say all, I mean when I shake the can there is nothing left inside.

I would appreciate it if someone would give this a try and post their results confirm what I am seeing. I always purge both the lighter and the Iolite completely before filling. Heating the can is a very easy thing to do and costs nothing so you are out nothing to try. If it works, you will enjoy the increased performance and cost saving of not throwing out partial cans of butane. I hope you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

I saw today where someone mentioned decreased pressure as you near the bottom of the can. I wonder if heating the can increases the pressure in the can for some reason that is beyond me which results in better filling the devices. Just a thought.

Be careful not to overheat the butane. You should get identical results by warming the butane can in your hands and refrigerating the lighter/Iolite. Remember to allow the lighter/Iolite to return to ambient temperature before use.

chucku,

Xender

chucku said:
Xender said:
Hello,

Be careful not to overheat the butane. You should get identical results by warming the butane can in your hands and refrigerating the lighter/Iolite. Remember to allow the lighter/Iolite to return to ambient temperature before use.
I agree. It is important to remember that the idea is to warm the butane ... not heat the butane. There are so many differences in where butane is stored when we use the butane we have to consider how it was stored affects its use. In this case temperature. I submit that this could be one of the reasons the problem is so varied throughout the user community. I use warm water, which to me is water you can hold your hand under. Thats pretty close to ambient. I would only fill a device at ambient temp
Disclaimer ..... No Open Flames ... Ever! :peace:

Xender,

greystr0ke

Anyone have any suggestions on making a replacement mouthpiece or using something else that would work until my new ones get delivered?

greystr0ke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Do you have some Play-Dough? You could maybe keep a stem in place and make a seal with some clay or Play-dough.

I've never tried it.

macbill,

greystr0ke

Alright, I have rigged something up that allows me to still use the iolite. I found a pen with a metal tip and I'm basically taking the metal tip of the pen and holding it into the metal threaded area on the chamber. I was able to attach the tubing to the other end of the pen so that luckily worked out. I just have to hold the pen into the chamber every time I take a draw. A little inconvenient and no longer very stealthy but at least I can use it until my mouthpieces arrive.

This is similar to the pen I used.
http://www.wholesalewarehousesupply.com/products.php?step=large_photo&photo=PAP85586_1_1.JPG

My actual mouthpiece broke right above the thread. I only had the bottom piece of it attached and it was in the case when it broke. Now I know to take it off every time now.

greystr0ke,

NuttinOnYoFace

has anyone figured out exactly how to tell when the bowl is cashed. like if u pack it half full does it go through like 10 hits, etc..?

also i read that it was better to flip the filter so that the holes face up, is this better or no?

NuttinOnYoFace,

greystr0ke

NuttinOnYoFace said:
also i read that it was better to flip the filter so that the holes face up, is this better or no?
I too am curious if this makes a difference. It seems like it would be harder to clean after each bowl.

I picked up some of the stickiest herb I've had in a while and it's been a pain in the ass in the iolite. I'm gonna try and dry it out tomorrow but for the time being it's taking forever to heat up and get a decent hit. I have to leave it in the iolite and let it run for 4 or 5 cycles before I can take a draw and see vapor. Tastes like straight chemicals too which kind of worries me but it's some fire. lol On the plus side, the bowls seem to last longer and it takes a lot longer for the herb to get brown.

greystr0ke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
NuttinOnYoFace said:
has anyone figured out exactly how to tell when the bowl is cashed. like if u pack it half full does it go through like 10 hits, etc..?

I generally stop when it starts tasting bad. For me, at 4/5ths full, that might be 15 or 20 minutes. Usually by then I'm kind of wasted. The material looks pretty dark: it may still be producing a whisper of vapor (sometimes you need to wait a cycle or two before hitting at the end the load for vapor production). But taste, to me is an important component to the enjoyment. I also save my ABV for either a "swamp" potion, or I do the butter or oil thing and make brownies. So I try to utilize it all.

----------

I have those holes facing the stem opening/screen to herb - I guess that is reversed? I do it for ease of cleaning. I use one 5-dot screen and one wire retention ring. I have an extra chamber that I have jury-rigged with just a normal pipe screen. I think the 5-dot screen is easier to maintain.

----------

Sometimes I dry my herb by heating the oven to 200 F and then turning it off. I try to break up the bud as best I can, and place it on a piece of aluminum foil, and I'll just leave it in the warm oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Sounds like though yours may be very resiny - yummy.

macbill,

greystr0ke

I'm sitting here at work and my mouthpieces arrived!!!! I can't wait to go home and get back to vaping without the ghetto set up that I've been using.

greystr0ke,

greystr0ke

After a very long and busy day, I have finally sat down and indulged in my iolite with the new mouthpiece! :ko:

I didn't realize how crappy that make shift one I was using actually was. It worked, but no where near as good as it is now. I couldn't believe how fast I received the package from GotVape. I wasn't expecting it until Friday so mad props to them. Kinda pissed I didn't buy the iolite from them.

Lately, the chamber has been spinning around and it's kind of getting annoying with the tube attached. Is that normal? To better describe it, if I continue to turn the mouthpiece after it's "tight", the whole metal chamber will spin as well. I don't recall it doing that at first but then again... :lol: I really hope I don't need to get a replacement chamber.

greystr0ke,

wakenvape

I'm expecting my iolite from GotVape tomorrow! I already got my grinder and extra butane today from ebay so I'm excited!

One thing is an adult that is 21 or over has to be home to sign and I'm only 19 do you think it would matter if I signed for it and just said I was 21. My older brother is 22 but might have to work and both my parents will be at work so...I'm just wondering what to do!

I bought a dub on thursday and tried to save it all the way till tomorrow but I am weak and resorted to smoking a bowl (combustion..gross!) today while I was bored..I'm not as strong as some of you lol :p

wakenvape,

greystr0ke

I combusted on Saturday night so don't feel to bad. I'm weak when it comes to beautiful pieces and I just couldn't pass this bong up. The funny thing is now that I vape all the time, I find that the taste of smoke is horrible. I only burn the good stuff and even through a RooR, it tastes like straight gasoline to me now. My buddy got pretty offended when I told him that.

You should be fine with the package. Mine came standard mail today and I ordered it on Friday (I Think). Do you know how it's being delivered? I highly doubt the postman would ID you anyways.

You're lucky as hell. I wish I would have had one of these when I was 19. Would have made a lot of things easier. lol

greystr0ke,

wakenvape

Well its coming by UPS and they even called the house today to confirm and review the order. I dont know if UPS is more strict but the mailman just left my other package in the mail box parcel part.

I think i'm just gonna sign for it and say I'm an adult which i am but you know. Good thing my parents won't be home though because of course they'll be curious as to what I'm getting :brow: Can't wait to vape!

I'm also excited about the ABV I can't wait till i get like a quarter and make a PBJ or some cookies :D

I've only done brownies once that I bought from a lady at Hempfest '08 in front of 3 cops might i add lol :ninja: . I was so high and dehydrated and overheated from the 90 degree weather (in Seattle!) that i went temporarily blind (everything gradually turned white). I stumbled all over people and pushed my way through the crowd at the stage at 4:20 (free joints!) and passed out for like 2 minutes until my brother poured water all over me and smacked the shit out of me lol! Oh good times..good times..

wakenvape,

wakenvape

So my iolite came today! But sadly i couldn't sign for it and the UPS man wouldn't release it to me he didn't believe i was 21..so now I have to wait to either go pick it up with my mom or brother tommorow! :mad:

And i have an ear infection and was really hoping i could vape some of this pain away :(

wakenvape,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
wakenvape said:
So my iolite came today! But sadly i couldn't sign for it and the UPS man wouldn't release it to me he didn't believe i was 21..so now I have to wait to either go pick it up with my mom or brother tommorow! :mad:

And i have an ear infection and was really hoping i could vape some of this pain away :(
How strange! It was addressed to you, you have a Drivers' License to prove it, and they can't release it to you? You are a legal adult in all things except booze (voting rights, ability to make contracts, join the Army, etc), and you can't sign for your own stuff? That seems seriously wrong.

macbill,

wakenvape

How strange! It was addressed to you, you have a Drivers' License to prove it, and they can't release it to you? You are a legal adult in all things except booze (voting rights, ability to make contracts, join the Army, etc), and you can't sign for your own stuff? That seems seriously wrong.
THATS WHAT I'M SAYING!!

I told him I am a legal adult but the instructions specifically state someone 21 or over has to sign for it.. I did try to explain it wasn't alcohol which is the only thing that number refers to but rules are rules and he didn't want to risk his job so no hurt feelings on his part.

It must've come from Gotvape for those specific instructions because the package says its from All Rise Records, so how would UPS infer it was something that needed an "adult" signature. Oh well just another day of waiting.. :/

wakenvape,

wakenvape

It came yesterday! My parents were naturally curious of course, I just said it was some medication that I needed, which wasn't entirely false :D

Initial thoughts looking at it..i honestly thought it was alot smaller than it actually is but still great size, slick and slim. The package and everything looks very professional and I can tell that this company knows what it's doing.

One thing though, it came with the switch on 1. I always assumed 1 was "on" and 0 "off" maybe I'm wrong the manual doesn't mention anything I'll look again though.

Overall just my first impression is very good hopefully it performs as well as it looks and is packaged.
I'll post my first experience after I'm fully vaked hopefully :brow:

wakenvape,

wakenvape

It won't LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! FRUSTRATED TO THE MAX!!!!!
I press the piezo see the spark and nothing happens no light nothing i'm PISSED!

wakenvape,

greystr0ke

So you filled it up with butane already? When you flip the switch to one, it should start making the hissing noise. Is it doing that?

greystr0ke,

wakenvape

okay yes i filled it with butane and it started hissing but no light at all even after like 5 clicks. Eventually it just stopped hissing and i turned it off and tried to purge it but this is really frustrating i have never filled anything with butane before and its confusing the hell out of me. I tried refilling it and the butane just kept overflowing instantly so i assume i by purging it i just filled it with air?!?! LIKE IDK WTF TO DO!

Okay i'm just panicking sorry, how do you know when it is fully purged of air/butane. And generally how long does it take to fill with butane and how do you know if it is full thanks. :/

wakenvape,
Top Bottom