MrNorml

OF said:
MrNorml said:
I agree that the Iolite is designed really well. My 'problem' if it is that, is that I use it a LOT. Last winter it was basically all I used. And I used it a lot every day.

I know it is more complicated that a lighter internally. But all I want is for it to work every time. The fact that I have 3 of them shows, I believe, that I think it is an optimal experience. But it also shows some reliability issues long term, and for about $200 I guess I want it to work as consistently as a table-top model.

Interesting point. From one perspective, however, you could consider the device somewhat expendable. Nobody expects their new car to last 300,000 miles (least ways nobody I know), much as we'd like it. One might say you roast many thousands of dollars through a heavily used $150 tool before you trade it in? With this thought in mind, I bought a spare unit when I fouled my first with low grade fuel and it became erratic (since cured). FWIW, I now use the standby unit as it's white (cheapest one I could find, kinda grew on me) and lights every time without fail (at least thus far, and I too use it a fair bit).

That makes two units I personally own without issues out of the box. I've also bought 3 more for friends, none of those have had any issues either (they each came with a first can of Vector), two of the owners are also heavy users. There have also been a fair number of posters with early problems that later turned out to be fuel related (either poor grade or new owners unable to get good fills) and rapidly (and often quietly) went away. I think new buyers should not be scared off by what they read. IMO the vast majority seem to work just fine when properly used.

As a suggestion for new owners, get and use a scale. Empty my units weigh about 80 grams (varies a bit), and will hold a bit over 3 grams of fuel when full. I start out by weighing the empty unit and fill until it's 3 grams heavier. Then you know it's full. It also works out as a check as I use it. I run two bowls per fill, checking the weight when I change bowls to be sure there's still at least 1.5 grams of fuel left.

OF

I have 3 units, 2 of which don't work. They worked out of the box, but later didn't. Within 6 months, which to me is under 3oz homegrown, since it is efficient and conserves. One unit doesn't spark. That isn't a fuel issue. Frankly if it were possible for me to ignite it from my side of the ignition process I'd be happy. It wouldn't be right, but I could use it. The other one the gas just comes out without enough force to ever get hot enough to shut off/move metal to cover hole, which no fewer than 20-30 refills/empty/repeat attempted. Ultimately I think that will be discovered to be a displaced piece of metal in the fuel-line. Since early on in the Iolite process I read about the importance of good butane. The FAQs on Iolite's site make that clear. I believe it is a structural, not user, problem. My 3rd and current Iolite is working well and I hope it does. I want Iolite to succeed. I want to use their product. But, if I have gone through 3 units in less than 2 years, I do not liken that to driving a car hundreds of thousands of miles. But if any particular model auto had a total failure after 6,000 or 12,000 or 18,000 miles, then I would be thinking
As for weighing the thing before, and during filling of it ... well, I guess I will be passing that by. They spray back a little when full. Or at least mine do. I don't weigh my car when I fill it either, but I know when it's about full. And I haven't gone through 3 units yet - only 2 - but those 2 are dead to me, and at some point one has to consider whether to throw good money after bad, as they say...

MrNorml,

OF

Sorry you're not happy with them. Well I guess you're a little happy, you did buy two more? Yes, the spark assembly is going to die. I think guys that complain of having to hit it 40 times to light are killing them off, too (not that you did that?). It can happen, but is covered in theory for a reasonable time under warranty. The slow run and blockage of the orifice by contamination in the fuel (common to some premium lighters, BTW) is also a known issue and something usually fixable if not too severe (like yours?).

You can weigh 'em and know how much fuel is left, or wing it. Yes, you don't weigh your car, but you do check the gas gauge before you set out on a trip, right? I weigh mine a check against the 'full weight' of the two units I use (83.8 grams for the white one, 81.6 for the black) to know it's good for two full bowls. Sometimes I check to be sure at least 1.5 grains remains when I change bowls, sometimes not. I'm used to weighing CO2 tanks to determine their fill, it comes naturally to me. I feel no need for a gauge window like WISPR.

IMO Iolite is not the ultimate vape, but it is worth considering. It is what it is, like MFLB or log vapes, not for everyone.

OF

OF,

MrNorml

OF said:
Sorry you're not happy with them. Well I guess you're a little happy, you did buy two more? Yes, the spark assembly is going to die. I think guys that complain of having to hit it 40 times to light are killing them off, too (not that you did that?). It can happen, but is covered in theory for a reasonable time under warranty. The slow run and blockage of the orifice by contamination in the fuel (common to some premium lighters, BTW) is also a known issue and something usually fixable if not too severe (like yours?).

You can weigh 'em and know how much fuel is left, or wing it. Yes, you don't weigh your car, but you do check the gas gauge before you set out on a trip, right? I weigh mine a check against the 'full weight' of the two units I use (83.8 grams for the white one, 81.6 for the black) to know it's good for two full bowls. Sometimes I check to be sure at least 1.5 grains remains when I change bowls, sometimes not. I'm used to weighing CO2 tanks to determine their fill, it comes naturally to me. I feel no need for a gauge window like WISPR.

IMO Iolite is not the ultimate vape, but it is worth considering. It is what it is, like MFLB or log vapes, not for everyone.

OF

Well, Iolite has said it would take back the first based on my 'documentation' and I'm working on the 2nd now. I love the Iolite. When it works. So yeah, it is what it is. I like the thing. That's why the 3. That's why it is frustrating to me. Because I use it. (Although Solo has just become a strong contender for daily driver) I think it is a great thing. I may not be expressing this right - not trying to be a jerk about it - but it is what it is...

MrNorml,

OF

MrNorml said:
Well, Iolite has said it would take back the first based on my 'documentation' and I'm working on the 2nd now. I love the Iolite. When it works. So yeah, it is what it is. I like the thing. That's why the 3. That's why it is frustrating to me. Because I use it. (Although Solo has just become a strong contender for daily driver) I think it is a great thing. I may not be expressing this right - not trying to be a jerk about it - but it is what it is...

With ya all the way, Bro. Then again, I'm the guy that's got a backup standing by so if the first one (which has never failed to strike first time....) acts up I won't have an interruption in service and have to fall back to one of my other brand units. Not cheap insurance, but it does give a guy a lot of protection. Once you run your balking units through the warranty program you too will be 'belt and suspenders ready to face the world'.

Don't have a Solo, I don't see a need for it WRT my current needs and it does seem to have some issues being sorted out. Won't say 'never' of course.......

Thanks for the thoughts.

OF

OF,

propjoe

i pulled the trigger on this this morning. my friend had one and i liked it.
on amazon.com they are listed at $99. i had a $25 credit so what the hell i ordered one.
i'm looking forward to adding this vape to my growing arsenal.

propjoe,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Enjoy....;)
I hate the hiss, and the units can once in a while act slightly unpredictable... but the Iolite gives a good long session, and does it well.
Don't buy cheap fuel.. look for filtered (some are filtered 6 times) butane like Vector.
Clean out screen after each use to avoid buildup.

Vitolo,

OF

propjoe said:
i pulled the trigger on this this morning. my friend had one and i liked it.
on amazon.com they are listed at $99. i had a $25 credit so what the hell i ordered one.
i'm looking forward to adding this vape to my growing arsenal.

Hey, great machine, great price. I bought one of mine there too, 'too cheap to pass up', I was going to keep it as a spare but it became the primary one and the other the spare. Since I have a spare, no problems of course......

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, almost everyone does.

While you've got Amazon warmed up, perhaps this is a good time to order a few cans of Vector to fill it? IIRC last time I got three at a good price relative to the local smoke shop...who is constantly out of it and pushing the cheap stuff.

Edit: Woops, I see you're ahead of me (WRT fuel). Don't let it go to your head, lotsa guys do it all the time.

OF

OF,

max

Out to lunch
Vitolo said:
I hate the hiss
In a quiet environment, I hate it too, even if I'm alone. This brand needs a high noise floor. I think the iolite (or wispr) goes well with the LB. They each have their strong points and complement each other well. And dealing with the weak points of each makes you, in turn, appreciate the other brand.

propjoe

my new iolite was waiting for me when i got home from work. it was a welcome gift after an awful day at work. :) i'm really liking it so far.
is it possible that mine was shipped already with gas in it? seems implausable. it just took a really short time to fill up the iolite. the gas started to spray out of it rather quickly.

propjoe,

Vitolo

Vaporist
push button, and click.... and hold it in until you see light.
never mind... I answered a false alarm

Vitolo,

propjoe

i've used this all weekend. and i really like it alot. i really don't have any complaints.
it just seems to me that i am getting less than 2 hours of use out of each fill-up of butane.

propjoe,

OF

Vitolo said:
It varies.
I usually can get an hour and a half... but have gotten over two.

I've tested this on 3 different units, all three burn 1.5 grams an hour on standby. It's possible to get 3.1 grams of gas (sometimes a bit more) in so they did actually go two hours. However, pulling cool air through them (I felt kinda dumb....) uses more gas. So even if you get a full fill, if you hit it a lot it's going to run out early. As I run mine, I count on two bowls, each one in half (four uses). I typically have half a gram, sometimes more, left.

I think a lot of 'short run time' issues start with partially filled tanks.

OF

OF,

sjp1988

does anyone know why my iolite is now making a pulsating sound when applying gas instead of a smooth flowing sound....is the gas already clogging up? got it a week ago.

thanks!

sjp1988,

Adobewan

Be sure to purge completely(press fill nozzle with a piece of metal), fill with high grade, 5x filtered butane, purge again, fill again.
I'd try this a couple of times. If this doesn't help, get ahold of Iolite.

Adobewan,

MrNorml

max said:
Vitolo said:
I hate the hiss
In a quiet environment, I hate it too, even if I'm alone. This brand needs a high noise floor. I think the iolite (or wispr) goes well with the LB. They each have their strong points and complement each other well. And dealing with the weak points of each makes you, in turn, appreciate the other brand.

My wife hates it. I don't. If nothing else, it reminds me that it is still in a session. I tend to put it into a shirt pocket after I have used it and I forget about it. Not sure why I forget about it yet but I am working on it. The noise reminds me it is time to hit it or turn it off. But it is a noise and an obvious one at that. An issue to some, a non-issue to some, a benefit to some, and a deal-breaker to some. But if noise is a critical issue in the decision, Iolites don't fit the bill because they do make noise.

Some compare the noise to a can of hair spray. I'd say that's about right. Figure that for 10-30 seconds every couple minutes.

MrNorml,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Funny... I do appreciate the hiss for the fact that it reminds me I have a "load going"!
I hate the hiss because it reminds folks around me I have a "load going"

Vitolo,

propjoe

i found that the 2 foot tubing that i bought for the MFLB (sold on the MFLB site) fits perfectly into the iolite. makes it even more discrete.

propjoe,
Top Bottom